• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
zkEiKyg.gif

Fuuka Episode 7
download.png

Thank you background character who is also a main character.
Fuuka isn't a good show for a variety of reasons, but perhaps the most important one is that none of the drama in it feels earned at all. The love triangle/square isn't earned. The brand drama isn't earned. This sudden idol fan reaction controversy isn't earned. (God I don't even know how to phrase the latest issue.) Perhaps the biggest reason none of this is earned is how interlocking all of the drama is, yet how divorced all the characters seem from it.
download.png

So the big issue is someone took a photo of Yu, dullard of the highest order, and his thirsty childhood friend turned pop-star Koyuki. This kicks off an response from idol loving weirdos everywhere apparently. People start making threats, people later show up with bottles ready to chuck at Yu's band debut. Yeah, it's a problem. How exactly it's taken so long for people to spot these two together is a bit of mystery as is how exactly someone took their photo so close that neither of them noticed. (Nor has it exactly been made clear how popular Koyuki is really.) Now I think in a better series, a whole episode would be spent on this issue. I don't know much about idols, but I know some people can be weirdly obsessive about them. Sometimes they're forced to make apologies for doing normal things like dating, which is obviously fucked.

Fuuka however doesn't have time for any of that shit, because it's gotta focus on all the other pointless drama.
download_1.png
download.png

This is the main couple here folks.

It's interesting how little actual chemistry Yu and Fuuka actually have. I'm not kidding when I say they alternate between not talking and trying to save each other from ugly confrontations and certain death. There's no middle ground here, no little moments that seem to cement gentle human affection. Fuuka is angry because Yu didn't tell her about how close she was to Koyuki. Putting aside, the fact that he tried to earlier in the series, why the holy hell should he have to tell her anything? They're in a freaking start up band. They're not dating. They haven't even been that close the past few episodes. (Not on screen anyway.) It's this wholly boring empty scene, that doesn't move the plot in any real direction at all.

Next comes probably the most baffling scene of the episode.

download.png
download_1.png

I have expected this to be a heel turn or something. To reveal that she's actually a horrible monster or something.

Rather than do the simple easy thing that would be to the net benefit of literally everyone and just deny that it's her in the photo, Koyuki instead decides the best rational decision to people obsessing over the photo and her is to say Yu is her sole motivation and her childhood love.

giphy.gif

This naturally leads to nothing but good things at the band's debut later in the episode.

download.png

I like how the guy in the suit isn't sure if he's angry or not. "Aw geez, do I wanna be here for this riot?"

It's such a bizarre move on Koyuki's part who up to this point, fixation with Yu aside, seemed pretty down to earth and reasonable. There's not even really a scene afterwards where anyone pulls her aside and asks what the hell she's doing.

This isn't even talking about how the show is paying lip service to the other characters in the band. Boy are they just completely out of focus at this point.

Seda

Okay, I know this thread is lenient on what is 'on-topic', but, detailed impressions of a slice-of-life harem show? Like, me posting 'reviews' of Black Lagoon OVA, impressions on things like Mob Psycho or My Hero Academia, Gundam chatter, or even Man God recapping Naruto filler fit the theme of this thread - but I'm a little confused why Fuuka has prevalence in this thread.

Okay, I know this thread is lenient on what is 'on-topic', but, detailed impressions of a slice-of-life harem show? Like, me posting 'reviews' of Black Lagoon OVA, impressions on things like Mob Psycho or My Hero Academia, Gundam chatter, or even Man God recapping Naruto filler fit the theme of this thread - but I'm a little confused why Fuuka has prevalence in this thread.

I was posting it because Fuuka appears to be well known by various people in this thread, and apparently they apparently seem to find reactions to it interesting.

If you feel it's too off-topic for the thread, feel free to delete it.

bigkrev

It fits because it's a fucking garbage series, and Toonami has a rich history of fucking garbage like Beware the Batman and SAO

I remember people started recommending Fuuka a while back when we were discussing School Days lol.

On a side note, I finally beat the Monster Arena in Dreagon Quest VIII and recruited Morrie.

Seda

It fits because it's a fucking garbage series, and Toonami has a rich history of fucking garbage like Beware the Batman and SAO

true

Crimson_Echidna said:
On a side note, I finally beat the Monster Arena in Dreagon Quest VIII and recruited Morrie.

Having six party members makes some of the post-game bosses pretty dynamic and fun - swapping in and out and all that. Train up Red's dagger skill if you're not

true

Having six party members makes some of the post-game bosses pretty dynamic and fun - swapping in and out and all that. Train up Red's dagger skill if you're not

I just finished all the Arcadia storyline so I should be on the verge of getting Red soon since I remember she comes back into the story around this point.

Realistic response: Toonami does reviews for fun as a hobby and timing depends both on when they get around to playing these games and whenever a good weekend opportunity arrives to slide it in.

Rambling response: Even smaller outlets tend to review games late because pubs like to stagger review copies/codes that way they can stagger coverage of games. What's better for visibility, 50 reviews dropping at one time, or 25 reviews showing up at embargo and 25 trickling in before and after the release?

That makes sense. Also, some reviews we get are for shorter indie games, which are easier to play through then more vast AAA games.

Funny enough, I know people who won't purchase a game until it has accumulated a certain number of reviews. As if it matters in the slightest.

Crocodile

random thought

remember when GXP was the 12:30 show for a few weeks?

good tiimes

Were they good times? Were they?

I wonder what's the difference between The Big O and a show like Gundam that when the former gets confusing and philosophical, we're fine with it

Good music
Good cast of adult characters (no whiny teenagers)
A lot of style (especially a style that strongly appeals to Western sensibilities)
Sets itself up as a mystery noir - things feel mysterious for a reason rather than just because its "anime" (we can debate the execution though)

I think those reasons stand out to me

cntr

Banned
Now that I'm thinking about this stuff, a lot of whether something works or not seems to turn on the question of "Do the authors know what they're writing?"

Like GitS's exposition compared to Gundam's exposition, or Jojo's excessive explanation compared to Naruto's excessive explanation

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
*sees Cocoa/Fruity Pebbles commercial with remix of Flintstones theme*
I see that and all I can think is GRAND DAD

I wonder what's the difference between The Big O and a show like Gundam that when the former gets confusing and philosophical, we're fine with it

Tbh I find Big O to be needlessly obtuse in conveying what turns out to not be super complex as well.

Though its surreal stuff is at least more entertaining to watch

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, Vegeta serves as Beerus' host on board Bulma's party cruise, Gohan takes Videl under his wing and attempts to teach her how to take to the skies, JoJo and Caesar head to Venice to spend the next month training under the tutelage of a renowned hamon master named Lisa Lisa, Banagher faces Full Frontal while the Federation tries to figure out how to get the Unicorn back, Gon and Killua listen to Ging's message and the clues left behind set them on their path to Yorknew City, Team 7 guides Hotaru back to her village, Brook flashes some 50 years back to the adventures he had as a musician aboard an unusually jolly pirate ship and the time he befriended a particularly impressionable baby island whale, and a new experimental multi-ped tank goes wild during a routine test and is making a beeline for the city center which means the clock is ticking for Section 9 to bring a stop to its rampage.

8:00 - Dragon Ball Super - 6 - Don't Anger the God of Destruction! The Nerve-Wrecking Birthday Party
8:30 - Samurai Jack - 5 - Jack and the Three Blind Archers
11:30 - Dragon Ball Super - 6 - Don't Anger the God of Destruction! The Nerve-Wrecking Birthday Party
12:00 - Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters - 104 - Gohan the Teacher! Videl's Flying Technique Tutorial
12:30 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 16 - Lisa Lisa, Hamon Coach
1:00 - Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 - 6 - Under the Mask
1:30 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 38 - Reply × From × Dad
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 145 - Successor of the Forbidden Jutsu
2:30 - One Piece - 379 - Brook's Past! A Sad Farewell with His Cheerful Comrade!
3:00 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 2 - TESTATION

I kid you not, in Japanese they call it 'Yokushin Shitteh' lol (Togashi created another sort of pun that I'll explain later)

But yeah I meant Yorknew

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I finally got around to episode 5 of DB Super. I barely noticed the shitty animation, in fact the only thing that bugged me was Goku asking Beezus not to hold back...and then starting the fight out at regular old SSJ.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My general rule of SAC is that the first season Stand Alones range from Okay to really good while the Complex episodes are universally fantastic and in 2nd Gig it is basically reversed, with the mixed episodes usually being very good.

This episode is probably the most memorable for me, partially because it's one of the early episodes.

This one also sticks with people because it is the one featured heavily in the intro.

Hopefully I'll be able to soak in more with Ghost in the Shell tonight. Last time I was having a bit of trouble. Partly my fault for trying to do two (or three) things at once when it was on.

So I've been studying for the GRE because I want to start Grad School in August, and Jesus the math questions are asked in the most obtuse way possible. It's all Algebra & Geometry-level stuff, but the questions are written in the most round about way possible to trick you into screwing up.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I've been studying for the GRE because I want to start Grad School in August, and Jesus the math questions are asked in the most obtuse way possible. It's all Algebra & Geometry-level stuff, but the questions are written in the most round about way possible to trick you into screwing up.

Yup, I helped a friend through it last year but I'm taking a class starting next week to help get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom