• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I have a Switch and Zelda pre-ordered. Don't see any reason at this time to spend $70 on a Pro Controller.

I've preordered the system and a Pro Controller, since I intend to keep the Joycons on the system itself at all times to make it easier to take with me on the go. If I'm playing on the TV I'll be using the Pro Controller, which is how I've been playing on my Wii U for the past few years (my GamePad is on the charge dock behind my TV, facing the wall, haha.)

I'm also getting Zelda on day one, of course.

I intend to get an additional dock or two for my work (we play games like NSMB, Smash and Rayman Legends some evenings) and my parents' house eventually.

I'm mulling getting Bomberman R and 1-2 Switch, depending on how much I want to play local multiplayer with people.

I'm hoping Ultra Street Fighter II comes out before too long because that and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe are the only games I know for sure I'm buying post-launch until possibly Super Mario Odyssey.

I'm interested in The Elder Scrolls V (never played), Minecraft (ditto), Sonic Mania, Sonic 2017 (if it's Generations-tier), Xenoblade 2, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (so excited this is getting a Switch ver.), and maaaaayyyyybe ARMS (depending on what reviews say.)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
mzrsvDt.gif

My list is very similar to Andrex's.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That's going to be pretty rough to watch weekly. I feel like more than any arc, the Chimera Ant arc works best in a binge session.

I don't disagree, but at the same time, the eps usually end on such a hype note that I was always ridiculously excited whenever Tuesday night would roll around so I could watch the new episodes and see how things would progress.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
While snowed in today I played some DQ VIII and finally finished off DRRRx2, so it's appropriate andrex is here.

Now I'm still playing DQ VIII and watching Rock Lee and his ninja pals.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
mzrsvDt.gif

My list is very similar to Andrex's.

Nice. I'm also going all-digital as I did on 3DS, Wii U and PS3.

Also this might just be me but I think the Switch has the best UI of any system ever (since I'm a minimalist.) The XMB was good but garish and at least somewhat overloaded IMO (and it's the only close comparison, all other console UIs are various levels of trash.)

YWyQpTc.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I might buy one title physically just to keep something in the slot and so I don't have to worry about a day one log jam. Possibly Zelda. Everything else should be all digital.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
XMB is rather alright & prefer it over any of the 360 UIs, but once you started a large library of games, it became sort of a pain to scroll & find the one you wanted/trying to remember if it's still "recent" enough to be on the main screen, though PS4 isn't as laggy as the PS3 one from time to time & PS4 has Library, which sort of helps.

But yeah, have to agree the Switch's UI is rather nice & feels like a more simplified XMB-style interface. I do kind of hope themes are available & we can get folders again instead of waiting for an update like with 3DS & PS4.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Man, I'm trying to imagine what Pokemon and Monster Hunter are going to be like on Switch and I'm crazy excited.

I'm just glad we're getting Super Bomberman R. If we weren't getting Super Bomberman R and this was revealed, I would be pissed and bashing Konami more than I already have in the past for some of their decisions. It's mainly the art with the whole shirt-so-see-through-you-can-see-her-butt thing. Plus, they're using Bomberman with this art... a series that's very kid-friendly and not really graphic in its presentation and game play since its inception.

They confirmed
the Scotsman is returning
so that might not be a huge concern. Jack was always really dark for a kids' show.

Yes but it was a unique blend of dark but not super serious with a fun tone. I'm afraid this new season is going to be dark/serious and lose that fun tone and feel really jarring if someone were to marathon and go from s4 -> s5.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm just glad we're getting Super Bomberman R. If we weren't getting Super Bomberman R and this was revealed, I would be pissed and bashing Konami more than I already have in the past for some of their decisions. It's mainly the art with the whole shirt-so-see-through-you-can-see-her-butt thing. Plus, they're using Bomberman with this art... a series that's very kid-friendly and not really graphic in its presentation and game play since its inception.
remember when atomic bomberman almost had lines like "I'M SO FUCKING PROUD OF YOU I COULD JUST SHIT"

On the one hand, I like how Konami is trying to be silly again like they were in the '90s, which is soooo much better compared to Konami of the last few years, but....yeah, if Super Bomberman R wasn't confirmed for next month, I can see how people would be completely frustrated this is how the series was "returning". Not to mention the game isn't really classic Bomberman, it's a 4v4 co-op game where you're trying to attack your opponent's base. Neat idea in theory to take the series, but presentation....eeehhhhh, I see why it doesn't work, even if I'm desensitized to it.

If anything, I wish they could put resources into a new Parodius & this was their silly way of referencing Bomberman in it, like how they had a character named Kokoro Belmont in Otomedius.

Or do what Sega did & make female human versions of the Mega Drive, Saturn, & Dreamcast to just make references & jokes at the expense of Sega's history.

remember when atomic bomberman almost had lines like "I'M SO FUCKING PROUD OF YOU I COULD JUST SHIT"

On the one hand, I like how Konami is trying to be silly again like they were in the '90s, which is soooo much better compared to Konami of the last few years, but....yeah, if Super Bomberman R wasn't confirmed for next month, I can see how people would be completely frustrated this is how the series was "returning". Not to mention the game isn't really classic Bomberman, it's a 4v4 co-op game where you're trying to attack your opponent's base. Neat idea in theory to take the series, but presentation....eeehhhhh, I see why it doesn't work, even if I'm desensitized to it.

If anything, I wish they could put resources into a new Parodius & this was their silly way of referencing Bomberman in it, like how they had a character named Kokoro Belmont in Otomedius.

Or do what Sega did & make female human versions of the Mega Drive, Saturn, & Dreamcast to just make references & jokes at the expense of Sega's history.

Yeah, I'm pretty desensitized, but it still makes me go "What?!" since the art work has the shirt over the skirt, but the shirt is see-through, not the skirt. Then again, what's logic, am I right? :p I'm not particularly picky, but yeah, it's out of place to me, even if it's a Bomberman spin-off looking arcade game.

Also, I forgot about Atomic Bomberman, but the idea of the lines even remotely having a chance of happening and hearing them is just hilarious and weird.

bigkrev

I'm buying a Switch even though i'm not sold on the games at ALL (I don't really want any of the launch games), because i'm committed to handhelds.

Also, everyone needs to go see John Wick Chapter 2. Legitimately among the 5 or so best films I've ever seen

Also, as I was reading a 1997 issue of Ultra Game Players last night, never forget that there were official Bomberman ads that had Bomberman asking you to blow him

cntr

Banned
Also, everyone needs to go see John Wick Chapter 2. Legitimately among the 5 or so best films I've ever seen
That's really impressive from a sequel nobody expected to happen, damn.

Not to mention the game isn't really classic Bomberman, it's a 4v4 co-op game where you're trying to attack your opponent's base. Neat idea in theory to take the series, but presentation....eeehhhhh, I see why it doesn't work, even if I'm desensitized to it.
Given how the new Metal Gear is a zombie shooter co-op, I'd bet on that being a thing Konami's going to do from now on.

bigkrev

That's really impressive from a sequel nobody expected to happen, damn.

Yeah, when I came home, I spent 5 minutes putting together a list of my favorite movies

Modern Times (1936)
The Godfather (1972)
Chinatown (1974)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
Bloodsport (1988)
Shawshank Redemption (1994)
Pulp Fiction (1994)
Crank (2006)

John Wick Chapter 2 is the best movie that has come out in my lifetime (being born in March of 1988, so after Bloodsport), and I haven't had enough time to properly digest my thoughts to see if it's better than the older movies on the list

I'm buying a Switch even though i'm not sold on the games at ALL (I don't really want any of the launch games), because i'm committed to handhelds.

Also, as I was reading a 1997 issue of Ultra Game Players last night, never forget that there were official Bomberman ads that had Bomberman asking you to blow him

I'm glad when I was a kid, I never saw those ads.

The ones I always saw were when he went around blowing up random civilians.

I lost my Wii (stolen), so I got a Wii U largely for Virtual Console - both Wii and Wii U - but also for Wii games. Definitely not getting Switch at launch. My general rule of thumb is that there has to be three "must have" games and right now Zelda kinda counts, but I'm not adverse to playing that on Wii U.

Wait a second...BotW is also on Wii U!? God I feel stupid. I don't know what made me think otherwise until now (the announcement? Who knows), but it may be good since something came up and I might not get the Switch right away after all.

I don't disagree, but at the same time, the eps usually end on such a hype note that I was always ridiculously excited whenever Tuesday night would roll around so I could watch the new episodes and see how things would progress.

That's fair. The ending transitions are definitely on point for that arc.

Wait a second...BotW is also on Wii U!? God I feel stupid. I don't know what made me think otherwise until now (the announcement? Who knows), but it may be good since something came up and I might not get the Switch right away after all.

Yeah, same date as the Switch too: March 3rd. Unlike the Twilight Princess situation where it launched first on Wii and, then, about two weeks later, came out on GameCube.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That's fair. The ending transitions are definitely on point for that arc.

Yeah. Also the pacing is generally fine until
the final assault, where it slows to a crawl, but I don't count that against it either. There's so many moving pieces in that string of episodes, with so much at stake, that I enjoyed seeing things happen in less than real-time. Almost like a chess match where a move is made and then you can look at the result for a little bit until the next move is made.

Will be very interesting to see ToonamiGAF's opinion of that arc at least, haha.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I dunno why they thought THAT was a great idea.

It makes complete sense given the time, to some degree. Don't forget that was also the year we were graced with this:

latest

In many gamers eyes at the time (and before, and after) "more mature/realistic ekwals more betterer."

Mizerman

It was made in Japan, so I guess they thought "If we're making it for the west and putting it on the 360, we should make it hardcore! Yeah!"

Heh. I wouldn't doubt that rationale.

It makes complete sense given the time, to some degree. Don't forget that was also the year we were graced with this:

latest

In many gamers eyes at the time (and before, and after) "more mature/realistic ekwals more betterer."

True. Though at least with Eggman's design, they didn't stray too far.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, that design is fine. If I thought about what Eggman would look like as a real person, it'd be that.

....though that leads into the more important question of why they tried to make a realistic Sonic game, but you know.

Believe it or not - HxH 2011, until episode 98 (almost midway through 'that' arc), used to air on Sunday mornings in Japan (Saturday nights for westerners)
Edit: Unless of course you were talking about those particular, later episodes already :eek:

Also Gen 4 of Pokémon, with Barry and all, is the most nostalgic generation for me :D (I figured it was him who was in your avatar!)
Yeah, same date as the Switch too: March 3rd. Unlike the Twilight Princess situation where it launched first on Wii and, then, about two weeks later, came out on GameCube.
Yup! And that's why I had TP for the GameCube during most of December before Christmas until I got the Wii - when I gave that copy to my good friend

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That bombergirl thread has made me realize just how much I actually think about what I post now compared to my teen years, which I just look back & think "GOD, I needed to learn when to shut up..."

Kind of glad I sometimes think to myself "no, this isn't worth posting", which probably has saved me from arguments, backlash, & stuff.

Meanwhile, I'm still debating Super Bomberman R since $50/$40 after prime still feels a bit expensive & Nier Automata comes out the Tuesday after. Maybe if reviews hit & are good (I heard a few impressions which were...meh), I might get it. Though honestly, I've been wanting to go back & revisit the N64 & GCN games in the series that were 3D & single player.

That bombergirl thread has made me realize just how much I actually think about what I post now compared to my teen years, which I just look back & think "GOD, I needed to learn when to shut up..."

Kind of glad I sometimes think to myself "no, this isn't worth posting", which probably has saved me from arguments, backlash, & stuff.

Meanwhile, I'm still debating Super Bomberman R since $50/$40 after prime still feels a bit expensive & Nier Automata comes out the Tuesday after. Maybe if reviews hit & are good (I heard a few impressions which were...meh), I might get it. Though honestly, I've been wanting to go back & revisit the N64 & GCN games in the series that were 3D & single player.

Yeah, I usually don't get into arguments because I grew up introverted and had not the best childhood. I've been too hotheaded when I've gotten into arguments in the past, but I'm a lot more calm and levelheaded when I get into arguments now. The only time I could possibly blow up is if the person I'm arguing with blows up to a point of no return, but I've been a lot better at keeping calm now than any other point in my life, so that's great, especially in this day and age that we live in.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Arms is on the must buy list with Mario Odyssey, MK8 Deluxe, Splatoon2, Xenoblade 2, Octopath, Zelda.

Its the might buy or buy on sale list that is fun. Setsuna would be nice to try portable but I'm going to need reviews and a price cut most likely. Bomberman is borderline day one. 1.2 Switch and Snipperclips are game time decisions. Skyrim depends on how I feel when it comes out and performance reviews.

I've never played much Bomberman, but I need a puzzle game, so it might be Day 1 as well.

I'm in on Puyo Puyo Tetris too - I picked up the Vita import, but it will be nice to understand what the hell is going on.

Zelda, Mario, Kart 8 (cause I'm a sucker), puyo tetris, bomberman, splatoon 2, i am setsuna, sonic mania, yooka laylee (kick started), and xenoblade 2 (if actually 2017) are all locks.

Sonic 2017, Arms, Ultra SF2, fast rmx, and 12 switch are all maybes.

Dragon Quest 11 would be a lock if 2017, along with that project jrpg from square.

bigkrev

Puyo Puyo Tetris is a "wait for a Best Buy sale" because i've already played a ton on Vita
Arms is something i'm going to need a demo of before buying- I was burned by Pokken (which I played a total of 20 minutes of because I hated it), and it's going to need to be fun with button controls because i'm not going to be able to use the motion controls in potable mode. Ultra Street Fighter would be a buy at $10 like I did a decade ago on XBLA, Xenoblade needs to be nothing like Xenoblade 1 or X for me to consider it (I really did not care for the gameplay),

I'm interested in Redout, but need to see the price- i've been waiting for a Steam pricedrop for a while now, but if it runs well I wouldn't be opposed to it. I didn't like Fast Racing Neo after a few hours with it on WiiU, so i'm probably not buying that this time either unless it gets really popular and gets a good online playerbase

I'm definitely getting Zelda and Issac with Bomberman as a possibility far as launch goes. World of Goo is a possibility since I never got it. Snipperclips is a lock. Might double dip on Shovel Knight. Puyo Puyo Tetris is a must. Mario Kart 8 is mainly dependent on how much I can get for my Wii U copy when it comes out, because I don''t want to spend $60 for it again, especially when Mario Kart 8 had the free game promotion when it came out. Fire Emblem Warriors is a maybe. Rime looks interesting. Disgaea is a lock, most likely. Project Sonic 2017 is depending on how it turns out. Will probably get LEGO City Undercover. Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition is dependent on what is added and the price, probably wait for a sale.

Arms is definitely something I'm considering depending on how it turns out. Splatoon 2 is more toward buying than not. Sonic Mania is something I'll get on Switch. Skyrim is a big maybe. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a definite yes whenever it comes out and same goes for Mario Odyssey. Yooka-Laylee is a get. Octopath Traveler is something I'm interested in, no firm release date. Dragon Quest XI is a possibility. Other games are too far off like Shin Megami Tensei Switch and Suda's Travis Touchdown/No More Heroes project. Bunch of indies could get me interesting in double dipping or trying them out like Towerfall, Bloodstained, etc. Definitely getting Stardew Valley on Switch when it comes out.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Believe it or not - HxH 2011, until episode 98 (almost midway through 'that' arc), used to air on Sunday mornings in Japan (Saturday nights for westerners)
Edit: Unless of course you were talking about those particular, later episodes already :eek:

I was!

I actually started watching HxH between episodes 99/100 (took about a week to marathon the previous episodes.) So pretty much exactly when it switched over, haha.

Also Gen 4 of Pokémon, with Barry and all, is the most nostalgic generation for me :D (I figured it was him who was in your avatar!)

G/S were the most nostalgic, but D/P got me back into the series after Gen 3 almost lost me. Very excited for those (and the eventual B/W remakes, since those were a breath of fresh air!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom