• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big West's legal dispute with Harmony Gold, and their complete unwillingness to actually take it to court in the States to resolve it in spite of Japanese courts already having ruled in their favor, guarantees that we won't be seeing official releases or broadcasts of any Macross after Plus outside of Japan, dubbed or otherwise.

Legalwise its always been Big West vs Tatsunoko with HG on the sidelines. HG's actually willing to deal but per what they say their contract entails the licensors gotta go through them first.

ADV was going to do this with Macross Zero and Big West balked and pulled back a the last minute in 2007. Same with Macross 7 Trash manga in 2003.

Korigama

Oh...I know all about this bullshit already. That most was one part wishful thinking and another part not saying "Put escaflowne on Toonami."
That's fair. We've already chatted on occasion in the Delta thread, so I should've considered the likelihood that you already knew about HG squatting on the IP (didn't remember for sure).
Legalwise its always been Big West vs Tatsunoko with HG on the sidelines. HG's actually willing to deal but per what they say their contract entails the licensors gotta go through them first.

ADV was going to do this with Macross Zero and Big West balked and pulled back a the last minute in 2007. Same with Macross 7 Trash manga in 2003.
Yeah, I thought I recalled something about HG wanting a cut and Big West not wanting to be bothered.

Seed is fine. Now Seed Destiny is a completely different story. Seed's a decent enough retelling of 0079, while Destiny is a train wreck reimagining of Zeta.

Oh trust me, the nicest thing you'll hear me say about SEED Destiny is that it's not the worst Gundam series I've seen (that honour goes to Gundam AGE).

What did you like about it?

Well one thing I did like about SEED the cast. I liked the interactions that they have with one another and some characters like Athrun, Mu and Le Cresent are some of the best parts of the series. I also think Kira and Lacus are good characters in spite of their flaws. All of which is complimented by a very good dub from Ocean group.

Another aspect I liked were the mechs and the battles. The environments were varied and helped affect how Gundam fights played out. There was also variety in the mechs both in design and the weapons they used. It wasn't just laser spam light show like in SEED Destiny or that garbage 00 movie. And of course the battles were just good.

The story, though reusing elements of the UC series, does add a twist to it and is overall decently presented.

Not to say that it's perfect though. Animation has tendency to be recycled and the character designs suffer from same face syndrome (Thanks Hisashi Hirai). On top of all that, some of the supporting cast, like Kuzzey do end up being pretty forgettable and some plot points end up being under developed like Coordinators becoming infertile. There's also the fact that some characters end up surviving shit that frankly should have instantly killed them. (Seriously how to you tank two Gundams exploding point blank?)

Also Flay Allister. She sucks.

In the end, I consider Gundam Seed to be a flawed but ultimately good series, that gets too flak because of its status within the franchise and everything that occurred around it like the trainwreck of a sequel.

No might anymore :(

Get well soon Kamiya. Xbox seems to be on its way out ala Sega. Damn shame. People can count on one hand exclusives for the console.
Time for Platinum Games to make the Kill La Kill game using an updated Revengeance engine as a PS4 exclusive and make Satsuki-sama a playable character.
Oh trust me, the nicest thing you'll hear me say about SEED Destiny is that it's not the worst Gundam series I've seen (that honour goes to Gundam AGE).
I have finished watching Seed Destiny multiple times. I have finished about 2 Age episodes. I have have seen more Cross Ange eps than Age eps.

Have you seen any of the previous UC shows?

A long time ago maybe but nothing I really remember

I dunno why the episode bothered to have the first half it was incomprehensible I assume references to old shows and a dope but pointless action scene. The second half should have been the episode focusing mostly on the main character.

A long time ago maybe but nothing I really remember

I dunno why the episode bothered to have the first half it was incomprehensible I assume references to old shows and a dope but pointless action scene. The second half should have been the episode focusing mostly on the main character.
Believe it or not but Banagher doesn't get that much of a backstory beyond the first OVA. So Kamille haircut boy as you know him now is what you sort of get at the end. So just call him "Banana" and call it a day.

Chase17

Speaking of, what did you guys think about the first two episodes of Fuuka

200.gif

With the two episode premiere I was hoping to get to more than generic anime stuff, but we are still in set up mode I guess. Fuuka as a character is good once we get past all the panty shots and other nonsense. Our main protag doesn't have much (anything?) going for him at the moment but does have
a potential love triangle between Fuuka and a hit pop singer who is obsessed with him because childhood friends or something.

I trust that it will get better though.

In new anime season reactions, It is jarring watching Blue Exorcist again picking up where they split off from the manga and just erasing the final arc from the OG anime from existence. Little Witch Academia is pretty great, not too surprising.

Good, I'm glad that's how the new season of Blue Exorcist is doing it.

I need to get to watching that and Little Witch Academia.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Should one watch that School Days thing?
Aaahh ha ha ha ha ha ha.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

Only if you want to see one of the worst rom-"com" protagonists ever & think to yourself "GOD, I HOPE THIS WASTE OF FLESH GETS WHAT'S COMING TO HIM"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Also

OH BOY

IF YOU HATED MAKOTO IN SCHOOL DAYS, THE ANIME

YOU'LL LOATHE HIM IN THE SEQUELS THAT NEVER GOT ADAPTATIONS

zulux21

Hopefully Nier Automata does decently. At least compared to how Platinum usually sells.

you can hope, but the odds of it selling well is about the same as the odds that toonami decides dragon ball super isn't worth continuing in a few weeks and replaces with with school days instead. :p

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's basically a bile fascination. What if a harem protagonist decided to cheat on everyone in the harem and sleep with all of them.
Basically, what if our protagonist never went through the whole "I should stick with one girl, because that's the honorable & human thing to do & all it would do is hurt the feelings of the girls if I try to date all of them at once, plus it'd make me a scumbag if I was cheating behind their backs & I should realize the one girl that I truly love with all my heart" arc that most go through.

On a different topic, I've been watching the Keijo dub on Funimation's app. Tomorrow the last episode will air.

Can't believe one of the characters actually used the Gate of Babylon and unleashed 1000 Noble Asstasms.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Part of me wants to watch the dub just to hear some of the things that've been said over the series, but actually in English.

.....that freakin' judo throw moment, man. I need to witness that in English.

Part of me wants to watch the dub just to hear some of the things that've been said over the series, but actually in English.

.....that freakin' judo throw moment, man. I need to witness that in English.
Is Keijo as bizarre and funny as Jojo? Some of the gifs I've seen look hilarious.

Moaradin

you can hope, but the odds of it selling well is about the same as the odds that toonami decides dragon ball super isn't worth continuing in a few weeks and replaces with with school days instead. :p

It's all relative. I don't expect it to sell millions, and I'm sure they have modest expectations for it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Is Keijo as bizarre and funny as Jojo? Some of the gifs I've seen look hilarious.
I think what makes it great is just how serious everyone stays. Like, they wanted to play it like an actual shonen battle series, just "let's use that one mini-game from Dead or Alive Xtreme 2, but turn it into a full-blown sport."

Bizarre? Eeehhhh, not really. Funny? Possibly, just because, again, they take certain things/attacks with seriousness & weight, like the fact one girl can become faster by....I kid you not....giving herself a wedgie. & they explain this because of "the friction of the swimsuit against the air slows her down" or something.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
My theater isn't playing it as well. Feels like every time there's actually a movie I want to watch, we won't get it & the closest place is about an hour away, which I just don't feel like doing on a work night, especially since I don't have anyone else to bring with me (aside from my friend who also works at the theater but we don't have the same days off).

Microsoft has done a terrible job at selling me on an Xbox One. Scalebound was the only title that would have made me bite, but that's gone now.
If Scorpio doesn't sell above expectations, I don't know how bright the future of the Xbox brand will be.

As for Platinum, I would like to see them develop a game for an anime series. Given the quick turnaround for those titles, a well-made action title tied to a popular anime IP can do wonders.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Scalebound didn't seem all that interesting to me as well, aside from the fact Platinum was developing it.

It just made me want a X1 even less since the few exclusives on X1 just don't interest me because they're FPS-related or aren't worth spending the few hundred dollars. MAYBE I'll get one during black friday this year, but really, all that interest me is Sunset Overdrive & Rare Replay, both of which I'm sure I'll play via my best friend who just got a X1 (he missed out on the 360, so owning both X1 & PS4 makes more sense in his situation) & wants those games as well.

Grexeno

With Microsoft seemingly all in on combining Windows and Xbox there's really no reason to ever buy an Xbox console. Just build a PC instead.

zulux21

It's all relative. I don't expect it to sell millions, and I'm sure they have modest expectations for it.

at this point if you hire plat games and expect a game to sell more than a million you are just being foolish.

that being said I doubt that they put a ton of money into the game, and thus it should sell well enough.

it looks solid, but it's just not going to appeal to a ton of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom