• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul14| One pissed off Luffy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked Deadman Wonderland in spite of it being anything but sunshine and rainbows (Shiny Shiny aside), but I expect I would wind up disliking Tokyo Ghoul for the same reasons I dislike AoT (grimdark + over-the-top melodrama played completely straight). Akame Ga Kill! being even more extreme grimdark shounen makes it just as undesirable to me.

Sadly, SAO II seems inevitable. I'd kill it with fire a thousand times to get Log Horizon instead, but Sentai have the rights to that.

You should probably watch Akame Ga Kill before saying that, despite it being very dark it's not really played at all the way it is in shows like Deadman or Attack on Titan. It's actually pretty refreshing and very enjoyable.

What? That's a sure bet if I ever saw one.

Yeah Jojo has a dub by Viz I think it's just a matter of time before it's on Toonami. I still think there is a possibility it could replace Bleach and air at the top of the block with DBZ. I think the two shows would work very well together in the 11:30 and 12:00 spots.

Moaradin

I don't know much about Akame ga Kill but from the 2 episodes I've seen, it isn't melodramatic at all. There are some dark moments but it's been very lighthearted as well. I quite like it since it isn't super edgy and isn't trying to take itself super seriously like Tokyo Ghoul is.

Yeah Jojo has a dub by Viz I think it's just a matter of time before it's on Toonami. I still think there is a possibility it could replace Bleach and air at the top of the block with DBZ. I think the two shows would work very well together in the 11:30 and 12:00 spots.

since we never got any word about licensing for Jojo and the guy who voiced Avdol said on Twitter that it was a test so far as he knew, i think it's pretty possible that the show's creators were behind the dub as a proof of concept

Korigama

You should probably watch Akame Ga Kill before saying that, despite it being very dark it's not really played at all the way it is in shows like Deadman or Attack on Titan. It's actually pretty refreshing and very enjoyable.

I don't know much about Akame ga Kill but from the 2 episodes I've seen, it isn't melodramatic at all. There are some dark moments but it's been very lighthearted as well. I quite like it since it isn't super edgy and isn't trying to take itself super seriously like Tokyo Ghoul is.
I didn't expect Akame Ga Kill to be melodramatic like AoT or Tokyo Ghoul, but I have had my doubts about it being something I would like. That said, I'm mainly speaking for myself in trying to minimize focus on "dark and edgey" material lately (word of killing off main cast members liberally, as well as the series going to extremes in how it depicts later villains not helping to change my mind).

That said, I could look into it further before dismissing it outright.
Still you really should check it out, I wouldn't compare it to series like Tokyo Ghoul or Deadman at all.
Hm, very well.

I didn't expect Akame Ga Kill to be melodramatic like AoT or Tokyo Ghoul, but I have had my doubts about it being something I would like. That said, I'm mainly speaking for myself in trying to minimize focus on "dark and edgey" material lately.

Still you really should check it out, I wouldn't compare it to series like Tokyo Ghoul or Deadman at all.

What? That's a sure bet if I ever saw one.

It has a bigger chance than HxH but I'm still holding my breath. We still don't know how successful the test dub was.

Akame ga Kill is good so far, but it has a serious tone shift problem. It's almost like watching two different anime trying to merge together. Right now, it hasn't pulled off the comedic/dark blend moments right yet.

I thought it's done it very well, and this is coming from someone who wasn't expecting it to have such a dark whip lash. I guess different strokes

Raxus

Sword Art Online II Episode 2

Tentacles return

Xt90ehL.png

"I am not the same person I used to be!"

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! SAO is just as bad as you remember it.

I thought it's done it very well, and this is coming from someone who wasn't expecting it to have such a dark whip lash. I guess different strokes

I was exactly expecting it to be very dark since I've read a few posts and reaction in the Manga thread, which is why the first half of Episode 1 caught me off guard.

I was exactly expecting it to be very dark since I've read a few posts and reaction in the Manga thread.

Which is why the first half caught me off guard.

Yeah going in expecting a super grim dark story is the wrong mind set, honestly nothing in the first episode would give you that impression at all (Akame ga kill spoilers)
until they open the door to the shed and wellthatescalatedquickly.jpg

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
"I am not the same person I used to be!"

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! SAO is just as bad as you remember it.

I'm avoiding the sub just so I can go into the Toonami hatewatch blind.

That and I don't ironically like the show enough to watch the simulcast.

Seda

The reactions will be amazing. Some of the fastest times in the thread was during SAO I believe.

SAO easily had the most posts per episode, on average. I don't track this formally but based on my looking around that's pretty undeniable.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I was going to say "you know it's going to be a PS4 exclusive" but going by Japanese sales...
Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if the next game (not Zesteria) is headed to Wii U.

Umm, I'm a fairly big Nintendo Fanboy and the mere fact that they wouldn't port the most popular Tales game in the US to the WII U when making a PS3, despite both games being extremely easy to upport to Wii U, should say everything about Tales of chances on Wii U.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Umm, I'm a fairly big Nintendo Fanboy and the mere fact that they wouldn't port the most popular Tales game in the US to the WII U when making a PS3, despite both games being extremely easy to upport to Wii U, should say everything about Tales of chances on Wii U.

Hmmm.
I don't know then. Maybe the game after Zesteria will be on 3DS.
I'm just saying since PS4 sales in Japan have been.... certainly not on the levels of NA/Europe.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm slightly bitter about how Tales has been treated on Nintendo platforms in the past seven years or so. We dodged a bullet not getting Tempest but then they followed it up with the frankly insane idea to not bring over either Hearts or Innocence to one of the best selling platforms of all time and after their Test game handily outsold ToV they also decide to not localize ToG then the true dagger of Symphonia and Symphonia 2, two games that run on extremely similar and easy to port to hardware and are associated with Nintendo goes PS3 only...yeah.

I'm not saying Sony Tales of fans didn't prove that was the right call...for Japan, but look at all the free money you have with Symphonia fans over here.

Luckily for us all, Cena is on the job.

tumblr_n8qconbXAP1ru3vawo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n8qconbXAP1ru3vawo4_1280.jpg

He'll bring back Sasuke CM Punk Tales games back to Nintendo.

bigkrev

I'm slightly bitter about how Tales has been treated on Nintendo platforms in the past seven years or so. We dodged a bullet not getting Tempest but then they followed it up with the frankly insane idea to not bring over either Hearts or Innocence to one of the best selling platforms of all time and after their Test game handily outsold ToV they also decide to not localize ToG then the true dagger of Symphonia and Symphonia 2, two games that run on extremely similar and easy to port to hardware and are associated with Nintendo goes PS3 only...yeah.

I'm not saying Sony Tales of fans didn't prove that was the right call...for Japan, but look at all the free money you have with Symphonia fans over here.

Luckily for us all, Cena is on the job.

tumblr_n8qconbXAP1ru3vawo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n8qconbXAP1ru3vawo4_1280.jpg

He'll bring back Sasuke CM Punk Tales games back to Nintendo.

a. what the hell is this
b. edit that first image which has a watermark, you aren't allowed to post those

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's clearly a parody of the beginning of the Bring Back the Sauce arc. Hell that's even Konoha in the background.

Gorillaz

is that who CM Punk is suppose to be in that comic? Sasuke? lol did Sasuke "take his ball and go home" like Punk did?

Who would be the Sting of Naruto doe

daveo42

Banned
Finally got around to seeing Dandy. I liked the episode, even if it was a little more of a down beat after the previous week. Def less about the gag and more about the feels, but that's what I did expect coming into the episode.

Terror in Resonance and Tokyo Ghoul were really really good, but I have this weird feeling that I'll end up growing to hate Tokyo Ghoul, but it could surprise me. Still need to check out the 2nd episode.

nZ1R0rC.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
lol, no matter how much he says otherwise he can't let go of the series. He's like Kojima in that regard.

He probably gets bored counting all his money, combined with what must be almost constant offers to do a new movie/OAV it's hardly surprising he'd do one every now and again.

Crocodile

since we never got any word about licensing for Jojo and the guy who voiced Avdol said on Twitter that it was a test so far as he knew, i think it's pretty possible that the show's creators were behind the dub as a proof of concept

A test for what? Are they trying to shop it out to networks or something? Toonami is pretty much the only game in town.

This guy admits to watching 30-40 episodes of anime a day at one point in his life and wants to know if there's something wrong with him for not doing that anymore...

tumblr_mk395sAnmg1rjf4f5o1_500.gif

This got me thinking, how much time on average do you guys spend watching anime per day? Outside of toonami and the rare netflix marathon, I don't really watch anime on a day to day basis. My viewing habits have definitely changed the older I've gotten, probably due to increased responsibility more than anything.

Raxus

Work, games, etc. keep me busy. I have been watching less and less TV in general. Aside from Toonami I spend at most 30 minutes to an hour watching TV/anime a day.

Currently on my watchlist:
Hunter x Hunter
Terror In Tokyo
JOJO!
SAO II (One or two more episodes and I am saving the rest for a hatewatch)
Urobutcher's new show

Monster, I stopped at episode 8 I am going though it at a snails pace :(\

The JoJo link was posted in the TBFP thread. Made me laugh.

Tamanon

Banned
I basically watch what's on Toonami and occasionally look at something on Netflix. Think I'm a quarter of the way through Fate/Zero right now.

bigkrev

This guy admits to watching 30-40 episodes of anime a day at one point in his life and wants to know if there's something wrong with him for not doing that anymore...

tumblr_mk395sAnmg1rjf4f5o1_500.gif

This got me thinking, how much time on average do you guys spend watching anime per day? Outside of toonami and the rare netflix marathon, I don't really watch anime on a day to day basis. My viewing habits have definitely changed the older I've gotten, probably due to increased responsibility more than anything.

30 episodes.... assuming skipping openings and credits and no time to buffer streams (so 20 mins an episode)... that's 10 hours a day. That seems.... unhealthy
Although, full disclosure,13 year old me who had just discovered masturbation and thought it was THE BEST THING EVER probably had some binges where if I actually timed it out itwould be terrified

The most in my adult life.... maybe 4 hours? And this was never a regular thing, just the occasional day where I decided to catch up on something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom