• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul14| One pissed off Luffy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

Meanwhile in HxH:

giphy.gif

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Right, just to stem the people asking, yes I hate Stephanie Sheh's Sailor Moon voice, mainly because she hit that same dog whistle frequency that Kotono Mitsuishi reached.

I thought the Sailor Moon dub clip sounded good, Sheh sounds exactly like I would imagine dubbed Usagi sounding based upon the sub (for better or worse as indicated by Shard). I like Mamoru's voice it's not as deep as I thought it would be but it certainly works, I'm more interested in how he'll sound as Tuxedo Mask.

Seda

Actually, I think Usagi sounds great to me. I mean, I've never seen the original dub show enough to know what her old voice sounds like off the top of my head, and I don't know what she sounds like in Japanese, but Sheh's performance in that quick clip seemed to fit whatever imaginary voice I had for her, and seems to fit the personality.

-

Semi-related, once again, apparently Aaron Mcgruder signed some sort of deal with [adult swim] for multiple projects, although the only announced things right now are two live-action bits.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Anyways isn't JYB now pretty far back in the lineage of this voice actor is in everything?

I remember the Sauce's VA taking his spot, then Troy Baker taking Sauces spot, now Smallberries has his spot.

Tamanon

Banned
JYB does have a distinctive voice, but I think it fits for the most part. I can't imagine anyone else playing Lelouch or Ichigo now. It just doesn't make sense to even think about.

MikeMyers

Here's a dialogue comparison:

Viz Media:

Stephanie Sheh: If only, I had studied a little more....I HATE YOU I HATE YOU YOU STUPID TEST!

Robbie Daymond: Watch where you're throwing things bunhead

Stephanie Sheh: Uh, sorry.

Robbie Daymond: 30%? Looks to me you better study harder bunhead.

Stephanie Sheh: Well, that's none of your business.

Stephanie Sheh: Stupid jerk and his purple-pleaded pants, what a weirdo.

Toei Animation:

Kotono Mitsuishi: I should have studied harder Oh, die!

Toru Furuya: Hey, that hurts, Dumpling Head!

Kotono Mitsuishi: What? Oh, I'm sorry....

Toru Furuya: 30%? Study harder, Dumpling Head.

Kotono Mitsuishi: It's none of your business!

Kotono Mitsuishi: What's with him? I can't believe it, what a weirdo.

Tenumi

Banned
Right, just to stem the people asking, yes I hate Stephanie Sheh's Sailor Moon voice, mainly because she hit that same dog whistle frequency that Kotono Mitsuishi reached.

That's fine. Different strokes for different folks. I can completely understand and respect that.

I tend more towards this, though:

I thought the Sailor Moon dub clip sounded good, Sheh sounds exactly like I would imagine dubbed Usagi sounding based upon the sub (for better or worse as indicated by Shard). I like Mamoru's voice it's not as deep as I thought it would be but it certainly works, I'm more interested in how he'll sound as Tuxedo Mask.

I really can't think of any roles gaming or anime that JYB has done where i listen to his voice and think he did a bad job or that his voice doesn't fit the character.

Tenumi

Banned
...Boy, things are gonna be really weird once I reach the power transfer point of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. Wonder if JYB will sound the same, or if his voice hadn't quite 'matured' yet.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I really can't think of any roles gaming or anime that JYB has done where i listen to his voice and think he did a bad job or that his voice doesn't fit the character.

The only role I ever notice people seriously complaining about him is Renton. I think he does great in it.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I did watch the first English Doraemon, and JYB plays Nobi (or Noby). He's pretty whiny here, but I believe that's the point.

By the way, Mona Marshall kills it as Doraemon.

Seda

Seems like Toonami is down but still doing well. Will be very interesting to see how they handle the next few months with Bleach, Titan, Dandy, Exorcist, and Lagoon all ending back to back to back. We still only know one replacement (dbzk) and they've been mum despite the fact we're almost a month away from blue exorcist end date.

Beware the Batman also ends a week after Bleach/Titan.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I did watch the first English Doraemon, and JYB plays Nobi (or Noby). He's pretty whiny here, but I believe that's the point.

By the way, Mona Marshall kills it as Doraemon.
Seriously, I think the most amount of laughs I got from watching an episode was from hearing Marshall play Doraemon, partly due to hearing Izzy in the voice.

I highly doubt it, but I wonder if there'll be a DVD/BD release that's considered the "uncut" version that doesn't change stuff like the random food switching and such, plus has the sub.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Seriously, I think the most amount of laughs I got from watching an episode was from hearing Marshall play Doraemon, partly due to hearing Izzy in the voice.

I highly doubt it, but I wonder if there'll be a DVD/BD release that's considered the "uncut" version that doesn't change stuff like the random food switching and such, plus has the sub.

That reminds me, something that Toonami/Adult Swim Action does not get enough credit for is allowing anime to be Japanese. None of that, if Americans see a rice ball they will change the channel so let us turn it into a pizza bullshit.

That reminds me, something that Toonami/Adult Swim Action does not get enough credit for is allowing anime to be Japanese. None of that, if Americans see a rice ball they will change the channel so let us turn it into a pizza bullshit.

but why won't they show subs tho
/s

Man God

Non-Canon Member

The most heavily localized show on the block right now is probably Black Lagoon, though a surprising amount of the dialogue is 1:1 from the original.

The last show they had with significant differences in script was Tenchi Muyo GXP.

EDIT: This OP had me cracking up. Is this a reincarnation of the hero of legend?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The most heavily localized show on the block right now is probably Black Lagoon, though a surprising amount of the dialogue is 1:1 from the original.

The last show they had with significant differences in script was Tenchi Muyo GXP.

Well, Black Lagoon is very American in it's style. Without Tarantino and stuff like Die Hard it wouldn't exist.

I'll admit I assumed rice balls had jelly in them for the longest time because of that. What else could that black thing be inside the rice

<_<

Probably either seaweed or kelp. Most seafoods are popular fillings for onigiri.

Can I just say how stilted that whole line was. Even compared to most US Pokemon dub lines it felt weird. It's like the localizers went "okay there's no fucking way even little kids will accept these things to be donuts, but if we act confident enough that they are maybe they'll accept it as truth."

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Considering who did the dub and when they did it the Pokémon 4kids dub is great.

Also I know some people have problems with the edits here and there but they also did a great job with Yu Gi Oh.

@Ratings: At least more people are watching BL now then BTB. Must be because the arc is of a lighter fare.
I wonder when we'll hit double million again though. August maybe?

Overall, I'm OK with the ratings this week.

Probably either seaweed or kelp. Most seafoods are popular fillings for onigiri.

Can I just say how stilted that whole line was. Even compared to most US Pokemon dub lines it felt weird. It's like the localizers went "okay there's no fucking way even little kids will accept these things to be donuts, but if we act confident enough that they are maybe they'll accept it as truth."

I know what it is now obviously, as a kid though I totally just accept in Japan jelly donuts looked like that hence my comment :p

Are you still in New York? Been meaning to ask how your trip went.
I leave tomorrow. The trip was awesome. Got to meet B-Dubs at the Natural History museum.
That museum is awesome. Lots of large dinosaur fossils. Went through a poison exhibit, and hung out at Central Park for a few hours.
I had a really good time this past week in NY. This city rocks.
Small Album of Museum Stuff.

Much larger Google+ album.
Can't wait to go back again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom