• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul14| One pissed off Luffy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I need to figure out how much my Club Nintendo codes that I got waaay back when I imported the Ouendan & Jump Ultimate Stars are worth point-wise. I know I won't get that cute Yoshi plush, but that decorative tape is strangely kind of cool.

How do I restart a chapter in fire emblem rekka no whatever? Fog of war is bullshit, it's never fun, just an annoying crutch the developers use to artificially increase difficulty.

Seda

How do I restart a chapter in fire emblem rekka no whatever? Fog of war is bullshit, it's never fun, just an annoying crutch the developers use to artificially increase difficulty.

I think when you are loading a file, when you see the screen options, one option is 'resume' and the other is 'restart', I think (I don't remember the exact words used). You can't restart from mid-battle, have to go to the main menu.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Fog of War is a great bit of game design in these sorts of games. It helps to give the AI an advantage that it sorely needs.

If you think its bad in that game go play Fire Emblem 5 :)

I'm not just raging because a chapter is pissing me off, it really is never fun in my experience and just serves to frustrate the player. I mean, what developer sat back and thought "You know what would be fun!? Limiting the players visibility so we can hide units and kill their characters without them having a chance to react! They'll love this trial and error gameplay!"

I mean, I can deal with some trial and error bullshit in a game like Dark Souls because you aren't fighting with multiple units that are gone forever if you fuck up. In a game like that death is put squarely on the player, YOU are the one who makes the mistake which is why it's satisfying to get better, and try again. Fire Emblem uses it as a crutch though to artificially increase the difficulty, if you don't memorize the map then too bad, you're screwed. That's bad game design.

Seda

I just play those maps cautiously, kinda like how in Awakening on Hard, reinforcements can appear and movie in a single turn. I actually appreciate the tension it brings.

I certainly see why people find them frustrating though.

I just play those maps cautiously, kinda like how in Awakening on Hard, reinforcements can appear and movie in a single turn. I actually appreciate the tension it brings.

I certainly see why people find them frustrating though.

By the way, after this what games should I play on the Super Nintendo?

Levyne and Bass, feel free to chime in as well

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only FE game I even remotely consider skipping is Gaiden on the FC, though its cool as a novelty.

Some people think Shadow Dragon isn't worth their time...I think it is, it's got some great little details and a very fun bunch of extra difficulty levels. The sequel that never came out in the US though is a must play sort of game.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Super Nintendo and DOS was my jam for the longest time. I got an N64 pretty late and a PSX even later and gave up on computing during the accelerator era until I got my college pc.

Super Nintendo games worth playing!

Chrono Trigger
Yoshi's Island
Super Metroid
Super Mario RPG
Final Fantasy III (aka VI)
Final Fantasy II (aka IV)
Secret of Mana
NBA JAM TE
Super Street Fighter II
Mortal Kombat II
Harvest Moon
Earthbound
Soul Blazer
Illusion of Gaia
Terrenigma (Pal Import)
Actraiser I

Super Famicom Games worth playing

All three FE games
Final Fantasy V
DQ 1-3
DQ V
DQ VI
That sweet ass Gundam Wing Endless Duel game
like a million other JRPGS, seriously what a great system for RPGs.

EDIT: SOTN isn't even the best Castlevania game that steals from Metroid, let alone fit to sniff the ass of Super Metroid.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've been totally sucked in by MH3U, to the point where I'm ignoring FFV. Gonna have to cut it off cold turkey soon, effecting my sleep is one thing but interrupting the Fiesta is something else entirely.

I'm not just raging because a chapter is pissing me off, it really is never fun in my experience and just serves to frustrate the player. I mean, what developer sat back and thought "You know what would be fun!? Limiting the players visibility so we can hide units and kill their characters without them having a chance to react! They'll love this trial and error gameplay!"

I mean, I can deal with some trial and error bullshit in a game like Dark Souls because you aren't fighting with multiple units that are gone forever if you fuck up. In a game like that death is put squarely on the player, YOU are the one who makes the mistake which is why it's satisfying to get better, and try again. Fire Emblem uses it as a crutch though to artificially increase the difficulty, if you don't memorize the map then too bad, you're screwed. That's bad game design.

Honestly you'll notice the ai follows the rules of fog of war as well ie they won't just move from out of nowhere and attack you unless they can see you (usually from a thief hiding in woods), you just have to be smart with character placement, take advantage of thieves, torches, woods, mountains, etc.

Fire Emblem 5 is bullshit though, because in that game you can't see the map its just all black squares outside of the area you see, plus those levels are generally designed to be mazes or ones where you have to move quickly or be over run by infinite reinforcements. :[

By the way, after this what games should I play on the Super Nintendo?

Levyne and Bass, feel free to chime in as well

Well if you're interested in Smash Bros check out Fire Emblem 3 with the fan patch as its Marth's game and includes an updated version of the original FE1 and an all new story

My all time classic essential SNES recommendations are

Chrono Trigger
Super Metroid
Mega Man X
Final Fantasy 5/6 (4 is good too not as good as 5 or 6)
Quintet trilogy (soul blazer, illusion of gaia, terranigma)
Fire Emblem 4
Tmnt 4 turtles in time
Zelda a link to the past
Super mario world
Actraiser 1 (2 sucks)
Donkey kong contry trilogy
Kirby Super Star

Of that list Chrono trigger, Super Metroid, FF6, a link to the past, and mega man x are the top 5 and if you only ever play 5 snes games make it them

Man God

Non-Canon Member
zRlyeQP.gif

Crocodile

Too bad SOTN came out a few years later and improved on every aspect of Super Metroid

It's adorable that you think that's true :p

Not to take anything away from SOTN of course - great game. "Strictly better" just reeks of immense hyperbole or "something" at least (I dunno wrongness?).

bigkrev

It's adorable that you think that's true :p

Not to take anything away from SOTN of course - great game. "Strictly better" just reeks of immense hyperbole or "something" at least (I dunno wrongness?).

It's Mana Drain vs Counterspell "strictly better". The only thing I can think of that Super Metroid does better than SOTN is a better jumping sound effect

Levyne

Banned
I was so interested in Destiny a little bit after announcement but for some reason I have zero interest now. It seems so big and imposing? That probably doesn't make sense. I dunno.

I heard the GAF clan is at something like 12,000 members? Insane!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom