• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul14| One pissed off Luffy

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMyers

The typical spoiler rules are: if it hasn't aired on rebooted-Toonami, tag AND GIVE CONTEXT to all spoilers of not-yet-aired episodes. The only exception is OG Naruto, which because of the sudden jump to Shippuden last year, kinda sorta falls under open spoilers.

It would be weird to keep DBZ discussion under spoilers..thinking if we do want to tag such, it would be very lightly enforced, haha..

What about when I get to reviewing the fillers? For example, a lot of the filler in the Namek are in canon episodes, so I'm just going to do that entire saga. Also, I was planning on posting pictures or GIFs so even I make a spoiler warning at the top, someone might skim through it. Plus I plan on doing a memorial post if a character dies, which would cover their entire history as a character as well as another few things.

I've seen Dragon Ball Z (& Kai) Abridged.

....does that count?

Wait you haven't seen either dbz or dbzk but watched the abridged series?

Why?

Isn't the whole point of abridged series to poke fun of a series you enjoy? Why would you watch an abridged parody of a show you haven't seen?

What about when I get to reviewing the fillers? For example, a lot of the filler in the Namek are in canon episodes, so I'm just going to do that entire saga. Also, I was planning on posting pictures or GIFs so even I make a spoiler warning at the top, someone might skim through it. Plus I plan on doing a memorial post if a character dies, which would cover their entire history as a character as well as another few things.

I'd say that's be better served in a dbz thread or anime gaf, the closer we get to dbzk actually airing the more we should start considering the real possibility some people will have either not seen the series before, or saw but don't remember so it might as well be a fresh watch.

Seda

I guess we can see how the group watching dbzk is, if even 1 user is like "haven't seen this before" then I feel we should treat them with respect and not spoil future events

Chances are even if you haven't seen DBZ you've gathered a few things through general internet osmosis.

Also, as I've said before, this thread is generally pretty good with spoilers anyway.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I've seen Dragon Ball Z (& Kai) Abridged.

....does that count?

It means you've seen the superior version of the show, so yes.

Why?

Isn't the whole point of abridged series to poke fun of a series you enjoy? Why would you watch an abridged parody of a show you haven't seen?

Sadly DBZAbridged not only makes fun of the show, but tells the same story in a much more interesting way. I literally can't go back to regular DBZ, it just isn't as good as Abridged.

Gorillaz

DBZ is definitely one of those things where even if you didn't see it as Seda said, you most likely picked up the big milestone moments online or even just talking among friends

MikeMyers

I'd say that's be better served in a dbz thread or anime gaf, the closer we get to dbzk actually airing the more we should start considering the real possibility some people will have either not seen the series before, or saw but don't remember so it might as well be a fresh watch.

Alternately, I could just actual non-canon eps like the driving episodes and review certain scenes of canon eps that have filler material like Ginyu on Kaio Planet. Basically anything wasnt in Kai.

It means you've seen the superior version of the show, so yes.

Sadly DBZAbridged not only makes fun of the show, but tells the same story in a much more interesting way. I literally can't go back to regular DBZ, it just isn't as good as Abridged.

I really got sick of dbz abridged and abridged comedy as a whole when it became impossible to discuss series without people thinking their being funny and quoting them constantly.

Besides the best part about dbz is the action, which as a whole dbz abridged basically cuts outs for its extended joke conversations

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

Why?

I think it was because at the time I discovered it, I had seen a ton of Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged (& I've seen a decent amount of the original series....for some reason despite never caring for the cards & such), so I figured "oh hey, DBZ abridged with a ton of views. This must be good if it's based on that really popular anime".

I WANT to say I've seen bits & pieces of the original Dragon Ball on that weird Colours TV channel that'd air older Funimation shows like DB, Fruits Baskets, Case Closed, & Kodocha, but I have real vague memories.

Alternately, I could just actual non-canon eps like the driving episodes and review certain scenes of canon eps that have filler material like Ginyu on Kaio Planet. Basically anything wasnt in Kai.

The thing is stuff like ginyu on kaio planet or the other world tournament will alert people to character deaths/resurrections that happen. Kai is still going to have all that even if cuts a lot of the stuff afterward. I'd say you're better off waiting until kai actually gets to where/when the filler happened and doing a "here is what was in the original anime that was cut/filler that was left it" comparison guide so as we watch kai we can follow along

Gorillaz

I really got sick of dbz abridged and abridged comedy as a whole when it became impossible to discuss series without people thinking their being funny and quoting them constantly.

Besides the best part about dbz is the action, which as a whole dbz abridged basically cuts outs for its extended joke conversations

I couldn't read any of the comments in youtube yugioh videos for awhile when I was younger because of that abridged shit. The only one that really got me were Bandit Keith merica jokes and Card Games on Motorcycles. Even then that got old

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Action alone isn't enough for me at this point, sure it helps, but it's nowhere near enough for me to enjoy a show. I'd rather have good jokes or a good story.

Action alone isn't enough for me at this point, sure it helps, but it's nowhere near enough for me to enjoy a show. I'd rather have good jokes or a good story.

But its still the same story.......... And dbz has always had good comedic scenes its part of what made dbz:a work so well.......

If Seda posts the August thread tonight

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

MikeMyers

I agree with BassForever that it gets way too annoying when you try to have a serious conversation about a series and people just keep harping on about a parody/joke.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
But its still the same story.......... And dbz has always had good comedic scenes its part of what made dbz:a work so well.......

Sure it's the same story, but I just can't deal with old school DBZ's pacing anymore. The last 5 minutes on Namek were like 5 hours long. I still like parts of DBZ, but as a whole it's lost a lot of it's shine for me.

Sure it's the same story, but I just can't deal with old school DBZ's pacing anymore. The last 5 minutes on Namek were like 5 hours long. I still like parts of DBZ, but as a whole it's lost a lot of it's shine for me.

That's partly why their airing kai where the pacing isn't anywhere near an issue. I mean come on in 98 episodes they go from the raditz landing to the end of the cell saga where the original series took 196 to cover the same amount of content

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yep, they basically shaved half of it off.

It also has a more modern dub with better recording equipment and a much, much, much better script. Great emoting.

Seda

I mean we have 63 more pages for this thread and its only sunday. Why not just wait till Saturday to post the new thread?

Well, it's not August.

might go to bed with a little hate in my heart over it but, I guess I'll get over it

Did I pass out for four days? :>

I would be upset.

If Seda posts the August thread tonight

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Do it ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

inQqVgwVPPNZm.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Fave Five Shows I want on TOONAMI primarily for GIF potential.

5. G Gundam. I could just make them all right now with these hands of mine and the DVD set right there.
4. Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu. Stomp em in the nuts.
3. Sailor Moon redub. Again most of my work is done for me.
2. TRIGUN. I have the DVDs and it's on Netflix, but besides hyping the last movie I don't feel right spamming these.
1. FAIRY TAIL. You know its going to happen. Accept it into your heart.

bigkrev

*looks at gifs in thread*
*reads article on worst TNA matches*
*reads summary of King of the mountain match*

Comedy not even a question

King of the Mountain is nothing (I thought it was alright)

THEY HAD REVERSE BATTLE ROYALES.

People "struggling" to enter the ring.

They were the dumbest thing ever and glorious

King of the Mountain is nothing (I thought it was alright)

THEY HAD REVERSE BATTLE ROYALES.

People "struggling" to enter the ring.

They were the dumbest thing ever and glorious

Considering it took my like 10 minutes to read all the rules for how the match worked I'm going to say it's still worse, at least reverse battle royale was an easy concept to understand (if a terrible one).

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Going by the GIFs, TNA was nothing but material for Botchamania.

I remember when Spoony had a freakout over TNA when the announcers wondered what happened to Samoa Joe when one or two episodes ago we saw him getting kidnapped by ninjas. The whole show sounds like a mess.

Going by the GIFs, TNA was nothing but material for Botchamania.

I remember when Spoony had a freakout over TNA when the announcers wondered what happened to Samoa Joe when one or two episodes ago we saw him getting kidnapped by ninjas. The whole show sounds like a mess.

LOL I remember that rant

I just want to know what the reasoning was when they decided to try and reenact the whole nWo storyline complete with Monday Night Wars. The whole Monday Night Wars worked more or less becuase each company was on equal footing in terms of being able to sign talent, but the WWE has grown to such a huge size that it was comical to think that TNA could ever compete. While TNA did sign old WWE talent to try and draw views, there was never a TNA star so to speak. And also signing Hogan just to repeat the nWo because a lot of people watched WCW for that whole angle is kind of ignoring the fact that the whole thing dragging on made people sick of it, so seeing the same angle but with everyone significantly older was never going to succeed.

Gorillaz

I just want to know what the reasoning was when they decided to try and reenact the whole nWo storyline complete with Monday Night Wars. The whole Monday Night Wars worked more or less becuase each company was on equal footing in terms of being able to sign talent, but the WWE has grown to such a huge size that it was comical to think that TNA could ever compete. While TNA did sign old WWE talent to try and draw views, there was never a TNA star so to speak. And also signing Hogan just to repeat the nWo because a lot of people watched WCW for that whole angle is kind of ignoring the fact that the whole thing dragging on made people sick of it, so seeing the same angle but with everyone significantly older was never going to succeed.

it's not really that the WWE has grown to such a large size ( it has grown don't get me wrong) but it's more of the fact it's harder for promotions to gain traction in the market today, especially regarding TV contracts. WWE ain't getting anything else higher then USA channel either.

TNA had a goodish streak around 2006 but even that in the grand scheme of it all was just "decent"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There was one or two people here who hadn't seen it the last time it ran.

I was actually more surprised with the number of people who hadn't seen FLCL. Not because it's more famous than Bebop (it isn't even close to being as well known) but because it's only 6 episodes long.

Gorillaz

Haven't see FLCL will do that as well but,honestly I am pulling the trigger and watching Toonamigafs AOTY winner
SAO
on Netflix

I...I have to know just how bad this is. I need to find out myself got a 6 pack of bud light so it might make it easier

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Just make sure you're in a safe place when you start SAO.

I found it to be hilarious myself and that a lot of people worked themselves into a frenzy watching it, sometimes over criticizing it for some minor things just because it's fun as hell to hatewatch something. The final episodes of Blue Exorcist are like a 1/10th scale model of your average episode of SAO when it got going.

So reading up on it Spike canceled Impact wrestling because TNA rehired Vince Russo even though they were specifically told not to. Only thing going through my head when I read that is
Kornheiser_Why.JPG

Gorillaz

Just make sure you're in a safe place when you start SAO.

I found it to be hilarious myself and that a lot of people worked themselves into a frenzy watching it, sometimes over criticizing it for some minor things just because it's fun as hell to hatewatch something. The final episodes of Blue Exorcist are like a 1/10th scale model of your average episode of SAO when it got going.

Last episode was the peak of Blue Exorcist's stupidity. The finale won't be nearly as great as the SAO one was.

Got out of work like 2 hours ago so I barely made it through episode 1

Interesting premise stretching it a bit with the whole nerve helmet cant be unplugged at all by anyone from the outside. Ill try again in the morning with reactions

Interesting premise stretching it a bit with the whole nerve helmet cant be unplugged at all by anyone from the outside. Ill try again in the morning with reactions

no don't. stop. please uh don't. you need to like preserve your sanity and stuff.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Don't do it, have mercy on yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom