• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul14| One pissed off Luffy

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh man, the "smack your parents" line is wayyyyy worse/different in Japanese.

e58f7.png

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Polygon gave TLOU: Remastered an 8. Crisis averted *rolls eyes*

People are weird about that game. I get why many people think it's great, I have no idea why they are so rabid about it. I guess some people are happy about finally having something to play on the PS4, especially those who went from 360 last gen and maybe missed the original.

Raxus

Space Dandy's scripting and voice acting really deserve an A+ for the effort they have been putting into the Dub. Great lines, great delivery, and (most importantly) the humor translates well in the dialogue and not just by the events taking place on the screen. Most dubbed anime comedy's tend to be very physical/outlandish since most of the subtle humor and word play (see Pervert and Transform in One Piece as well as another joke) are lost in translation.

So is there anyone who watches Toonami with us who hasn't seen either DBZ or DBZ Kai in some capacity? Almost every show on the block has a few people who haven't seen it before, but it always feels like when dbz is discussed everyone has seen it multiple times

Yo! Right here.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 23:

Ah yes, this was truly crafted in a different time where a grown man and a junior high school student could earnestly be in love and nobody would bat an eye. Also, Mamoru and Maokoi are both wearing some of the downright ugliest shirts I have ever seen. Anyway, the Sailor Moon series clearly has confidence in its own storytelling at this point and for the first time the Scouts and indeed their civilian counterparts are presented with a genuine moral dilemma that has no easy answers and that is quite wondrous indeed. It is also nice that the moral quandary is only not resolved but is deepened as a shot at redemption is presented. Yes, clearly Sailor Moon was elevating itself to new levels with this arc and it shows. Highest possible recommendation and one of the best episodes of the season really.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 24

This is basically the second part ans things continue directly off the previous episode and brings the Nephrite arc to its climax as all of the linger plot threads reach their logical conclusion. I will state right now that it is a testament to the writing prowess of this program that they managed to get a heavy emotional investment in the
Nephrite-Naru pairing
in only the span of a two episodes. Sure, it has been something that had been part of the arc, but like everything else it was in the background of the monster of the week formula. Indeed the team here shows they they can handle heavy emotions like melancholy and bitter-sweetness with a very deft hand. Also worth mentioning is just how violent this got,
Nephrite gets four plant spears pierces through his chest and there is quite a lot of blood,
really some scenes look like they come from DBZ or One Piece, it is quite impressive and I am now wondering how this looked on American TV. Anyway, this along with the previous episode has been the pinnacle of season one by a long shot and should not be missed, once again highest possible recommendation.

daveo42

Banned
I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised about people not actually seeing all of DBZ seeing as how we got the 2nd half of the Frieza in 1998 and CN finished their first run of the series in 2003. For me, that was late high school/early college days for me so I caught it every day it was on. Some of the younger audience could have missed it entirely.

I know I haven't seen all of Dragonball, but I read the entire manga start to finish a few years ago. I haven't even really watched the abridged series either.

Raxus

At least the reviewer admits he's alone on an island with his dislike of the game

I like how an 8 is a 'dislike' for the game.

For the record this is just an HD rerelease of a game from last year at full price and some DLC included. I dunno why they even bothered to review it again.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

For the record this is just an HD rerelease of a game from last year at full price and some DLC included. I dunno why they even bothered to review it again.

Think of the clicks man! The ad money! We're gonna be rolling in it!

daveo42

Banned

It should be a review on the more technical changes to the game as it is a remaster of the game and none of the story has actually changed in any way. I need to see if anyone made any comments about the quality of the commentary track.

I know of one other guy that hated the game and put of a negative review of it last year. He too realized he was one of the only people on the planet who didn't like the game at all and acknowledged it in his review.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Even better is when people complain that it's too low, despite the fact they haven't even played the game yet. I know this isn't the case, but still perplexes me how people call reviewers "wrong" when the game hasn't even been released yet, so they haven't even played it themselves.

bigkrev

Think of the clicks man! The ad money! We're gonna be rolling in it!

(I can't believe I'm about to defend Polygon)

For it's scores, Polygon uses a roundtable where the reviewer sits down with others and they come up with a score together using the text of the review as the base, and the opinions of others to influence it. Phil hated the game, and the fact that it even got a 7.5 last time was probably because everyone else of the staff loved it (It was their GOTY last year).

Jeff Gerstmann gave Majora's Mask, a game he despises, an 8.3 on Gamespot back in the day, because their job wasn't to review the game to how they felt, it was to review the game to how the audience would enjoy it. He understood that it was a "good" game his audience would enjoy, but he hated it. It's why Game Informer years ago gave the GCN version of Paper Mario a low score- they "liked" the game, but thought that their audience would hate it (ie, 14-17 year olds), so they gave it a bad score.

If your treating reviews as buying advice, this is probably the best way to review games. If you are treating reviews as journalism, than it's the wrong way to do it.

ckohler

I do enjoy the Dub liberties taken

Agreed. I made a similar comment about the Kill la Kill dub. While there is a fine line, I find that typically a dub is better if they take liberties to westernize and/or add flavor to otherwise literal translations of the subtitles.

789shadow

Banned
Anyone else feel like Space Dandy's second season has been a lot more...........Western than it's first? I wonder if Toonami's involvement had anything to do with that.

(I can't believe I'm about to defend Polygon)

For it's scores, Polygon uses a roundtable where the reviewer sits down with others and they come up with a score together using the text of the review as the base, and the opinions of others to influence it. Phil hated the game, and the fact that it even got a 7.5 last time was probably because everyone else of the staff loved it (It was their GOTY last year).

Jeff Gerstmann gave Majora's Mask, a game he despises, an 8.3 on Gamespot back in the day, because their job wasn't to review the game to how they felt, it was to review the game to how the audience would enjoy it. He understood that it was a "good" game his audience would enjoy, but he hated it. It's why Game Informer years ago gave the GCN version of Paper Mario a low score- they "liked" the game, but thought that their audience would hate it (ie, 14-17 year olds), so they gave it a bad score.

If your treating reviews as buying advice, this is probably the best way to review games. If you are treating reviews as journalism, than it's the wrong way to do it.

is it, though? i feel like some random dude reviewing games isn't terribly qualified to tell me how everyone else will feel about something except in some really obvious cases.

Raxus

Anyone else feel like Space Dandy's second season has been a lot more...........Western than it's first? I wonder if Toonami's involvement had anything to do with that.

Hard to tell since Wantanabe tends to be heavily influenced by the west in most of his animes.

LOLDSFAN

I thought last episode was going to be a stereotypical Japanese school. Didn't expect to see school buses and Beverly Hills lol.

Gorillaz

I forgot who said it but yea Balalalalalika did talk english in the sub verison of the Black Lagoon episode this past week. I was looking it up and saw that Funi actually put up the entire series subbed (of course) on youtube. Here is the episode, the English is thrown in there a bit but it's jarring because the characters all speak Japanese obviously but break into English in certain parts

I think I've watched Be My All scene like 15 times now, Space Dandy truly is a special show

The animation alone was crazy, I thought the episode would be just a normal HS parody but it went down the Grease/Glee/High School Musical road so easily

Also the blond chick looked like Zelda for some reason

Seda

Quoting from Space Dandy thread.

Next week's episode looks really cool too: http://space-dandy.com/episode/18/

Kiyotaka Oshiyama is writing, storyboarding, directing, animating, and designing the episode himself. He's one of the designers on the series, and he was previously animation director for episode 9 - Eunyoung Choi's episode on the plant planet. This time he's handling an entire episode on his own including all the key animation, guest designs, and art setting.

rip bassforever

Raxus

I'll be honest. I have no idea where to begin to avoid spoilers on DBZ. Aside from the obvious (future villains, allies, etc.) I think so many major events are spoiled via parody over the years.

Seda

Putting a restriction on DBZ spoilers would be silly and perhaps unfeasible. That said, spoiler tags won't be required. That doesn't mean you can't tag things out of courtesy though. And that doesn't mean you should intentionally yell spoilers only because they are spoilers.

DBZ is weird in that people probably know the big story beats, the truly important stuff, but don't know/remember the little things in between. like, Namek blowing up is a meme at this point.

MikeMyers

Every arc spoilers:

Villains appear

Goku is removed from story

Goku's friends job to the baddies

Goku returns and it is time for the climax.

Warning: Villain may not be in their final form when first fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom