• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul14| One pissed off Luffy

Status
Not open for further replies.
zlCfzSIWZVk3i-_bSD

zlCfzSIaRGMiSybOnw

zlCfzSIbSawScbiYzv

zlCfzSIcHpUW3THMcQ

D N A.... LATER.

Look at all of these parallel Dandys. SanjiMeow and Ouch,Baby are my favorites.
Can't wait for your next sketch dump. Perhaps it will be EVO/Fighting game related. :p

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good morning everyone. Maaaan, what a night.

The return of Space Dandy
That was amazing! So much going on, so many jokes that worked, amazing animation, and another ending that screwed with the audience's perception.
"I wanna die"

Shippuden
And the Dandy high comes crashing down...
At least a couple things happened... a shame they happened slowly. You know, modern One Piece fights can happen for a long time too, but at least it cuts away to multiple other events. Here we just cut to Naruto and Kakashi jumping through the never-ending canyon, and sometimes Team Guy fighting their clones. At least the Sasori part is over.

One Piece
Three sub-bosses defeated in one episode.
By the way, Sanji beating Wanze pretty? That wasn't just a gag. The One Piece brethren know what I mean.

Blue Exorcist
*whistles a bit* Oh I'm sorry, I promised I wouldn't complain about the filler since everyone kept telling me to stop. *laughs at last night's reactions*

Black Lagoon
This episode was a joy to watch. Much needed after last week's....

Beware the Batman
YOU SUCK BATMAN! YOU COMPLETELY SUCK!
*looks up Wiki* It's going to be a while before we get to villains people care about.

Blue Exorcist knocked me out, and it looks like it did me a favor, based on the thread.

Watched Black Lagoon this morning with a big ass grin on my face the whole time. This arc looks like a lot of fun.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
LoL, seeing 3 TSD quotes in a row like that, I thought my browser was acting up! ;-) Thanks guys!

Look at all of these parallel Dandys. SanjiMeow and Ouch,Baby are my favorites.
Can't wait for your next sketch dump. Perhaps it will be EVO/Fighting game related. :p

Haha, I wondered in SanjiMeow might be too "Deviantart Furry" from what I've seen people on GAF say, so I'm glad I got away with it somehow! ;-)

I wanted to do an EVO one last year, but I think I sucked at it. Some VS screens and 2D
isBest
fights isn't out of the question though...!

The more Dandys, the better. Perfect set of drawings for Dandy Night!

I think Dandy secretly knows of the Sketch Dumps, and just loves giving me material for them. I really love the fact that the show just feels like an excuse for the production stuff to have fun dinking around with whatever ideas they feel like drawing. Reminds me of why I love anime in the first place, actually...

These are fantastic. Love the solo Dandy at the top. Everything coming up Dandy.

And Solo Dandy is part of the new Megapic! So he'll be surrounded by a lot more as the weeks pass us by... and I think this 1 episode realistically gave me enough designs to fill up the whole picture with. Frickin' PACKED episode.

So remember how Brickbear Dandy appeared in all those alt universes? Well.....

Br3p2DvCAAEHlGi.jpg

AHHH, I knew that looked familiar! Thanks for answering that lingering feeling. Space Adventure Cobra Dandy needed the old gun that was referenced in PSO to show up at some point...

anime_4590.jpg

Gorillaz

Pretty funny block yesterday I feel the only thing that slowed it down was Shippuden and dude still talking shit after getting stabbed 3 times. BE was funny for the wrong reasons

Highlights: Michael Jackson-Goku Dandy, "I wanna die", and nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd from Lagoon.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Might have to import, but it's up on the company's site for about $15/1,500 yen.

They also have done a ton of other stuff like Spongebob, Transformers, Keroro Gunso, Evangelion, Mega Man, X-Men, Star Wars, Halo, Simpsons, & more.

Levyne

Banned
Happy sunday everyone.

I might need to watch the black lagoon episode again, I was kind of only paying half attention during it. Space Dandy was pretty amazing, hopefully the ratings are okay despite it being tucked into the 3rd slot.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Highlights: Michael Jackson-Goku Dandy, "I wanna die", and nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd from Lagoon.

Nerdy Indian Girl from BL totally reminds me of a character Kenichi Sonoda would have in a story.

Ahhh, so that's what she grew up into after BGC!

...I'm totally drawing her next week, too. Me not drawing a brown-skin Meganekko with Mihoshi Hair Syndrome just wouldn't fly. (Random color pic for "no reason")

It's almost as if SAB knew what Dandy was going to be about last night. :p

I have insider tips from the creative staff...
SERIOUSLY!...Not... :(

Raxus

Episode reviews!

Space Dandy 13-14
It was a Dandy high as the series continues to impress. Crazy amount of references and animation styles. Easily the best episode of the night. I was in tears by the ending. Episode 13 really highlights just how good the soundtrack adds to the show more than any other show in the block.

Naruto Shippuden
For all intensive purposes an OK episode. We get a peek at some of the staples of Shippuden including tragic villain flashback but what really upset me this episode was Sasori 'wanting to die'. Way to smack Sakura and Chiyo back for beating someone who just wanted to kill themselves. Why waste 6 episodes on that? ARRRRRGH. /rantover

One Piece

The train arc is nearing its conclusion and I loved the ending of the Wanze fight. So kawaii. This episode and the next one are pretty great. Almost to my favorite opening!

Blue Exorcist
Man, I really wish they would just have more episodes of filler instead of 'plot'. All the characters get hit by the stupid stick (WHY TRANQUILIZERS) and forget how to fight demon spiders. It is even sillier when Rin gives them an easy out.

Black Lagoon
Talk about an up and down night! Pretty entertaining but it is mostly another mini arc set up episode and it needed more Black Lagoon company. Certainly appreciated a more lighthearted episode compared to last weeks 'I wanna die'.

Beware the ZZZZZZZ

...and back down again. I wanna die. Batman you suck, villain you suck (you left him with the keys), animation you suck, stupid romance you suck, fuck you BtB.

Samurai Jack

Pretty good episode. Not much else to say unfortunately.

Clone Wars

Another action packed episode. Seda was right though. I hope we get an overarching plot soon because the villains just seem to be doing 'stuff' that may be bad.

Symbionic Feels

I wanna die. Certainly one of many gut punches the show throws at you. Just 2 episodes left before the punch to the nuts.

Episode rankings!

Space Dandy
Black Lagoon = One Piece
Symbionic Titan
Samurai Jack
Clone Wars
Naruto Shippuden
Blue Exorcist
Torture
Beware the Idiotman

Amikami

Banned
I still can't get over how good Dandy was last night. Not sure if that episode can be topped but I'm excited to see what other ideas the creators have. Next week seems back to the standard, not that standard Dandy is bad. Glad to have Space Dandy back.

Seda

I felt the humor in last night's Dandy episode was quite well-rounded and varied. Before that though, I'll say I like the diverse nature this show brings each week. Some of the episodes in the series are actually fairly light on the humor - like 'QT in love' or the one with Adelie. But then others take a totally absurd, wacky and unpredictable premise and go with it, like the zombie episode.

This one took a typical premise (alternate universe shenanigans) but approached it in a pretty satisfactory way. When I read the TV Guide blurb I was a little hestitant on how it would turn out but I genuinely enjoyed Space Dandy's take on this. It started with a little bit of 'stupid' comedy, in that we see normal 'bonehead' Dandy in comparison to 'capable' Dandy and we just kinda laugh at the ineptitude on display, emphasized by the stark differences even if they were quite blatant and in-your-face (D..N..A). However it then quickly goes into references and parodies, complete with animation style changes, where it's fun to see different takes on the Dandy characters with the exaggerated aspects of other animes - and how they interact with each other, while of course poking fun at the parodied works.

Going from there to arguing narrators about what was happening was not only somewhat of a surprise, but it was implemented in a way in trying to make sense of what happened in a silly way. And then going into a less slapstick and simply bizarre/out-there "Emo Dandy' and human-QT caps off everything else, finishing with a redone fourth-wall breaking opening.

Not to mention other amusing things like taking Schrödinger's cat and making an alien out of it.

And even if you didn't care for the humor at all, the range of voicework on display and animation presentation was impressive in its own right.

Rock solid episode.

---

Raxus, I generally agree with your comments, although I tend to laugh at the thread making fun or otherwise insulting Beware the Blunderman.

However

For all intensive purposes

why raxus

iP1jc8QKyAAcj.gif

After watching Shippuden and Beware the Boreman, I have the same feeling.

Anyone know if there were any differences in the subbed version with all the crews?

Moaradin

I'm pretty interested in hearing the sub for this episode. I attributed so much of the humor to the voices and delivery. I want to see how the sub handles it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Dandy was GXP level last night, totally jumped the shark and it is ruined forever. Going to watch classic Bleach episodes every 11.5 instead.

Raxus

why raxus

I am rather jaded on Shippuden as of late. I blame it on the Sharingan.

I bumped up the episode because it stuff did technically happen (Sasori died, Sakura is healed, Chiyo gives Sakura the antidote, backstory) so I couldn't hate it too much.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I am rather Jaded on Shippuden as of late. I blame it on the Sharingan.

I bumped up the episode because it stuff did technically happen (Sasori died, Sakura is healed, Chiyo gives Sakura the antidote, backstory) so I couldn't hate it too much.

People were being crazy harsh on Shippuden last night. It's part of the group watch/hive mind experience I suppose.

EDIT: Hint for MM, SLUGS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom