• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul14| One pissed off Luffy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Well I just watched the opening of 161 in order to sync up with people watching on openless sources, I got plenty of time to watch 160's opening instead, but do you really want to make me watch Angelus three times? Can you live with yourself?

MikeMyers

iBlNWQliocnI6.gif

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Man, there's nothing more headache-inducing than reading comments whining about dubs. Even when they're well-made dubs like Cowboy Bebop, Fate/Zero and Code Geass.

Man, there's nothing more headache-inducing than reading comments whining about dubs. Even when they're well-made dubs like Cowboy Bebop, Fate/Zero and Code Geass.

Truth is that most people either don't watch dubs, or are so determined that dubs are bad that any and all examples just lead to them going "nuh huh it's terrible you don't understand". Best just to ignore those people (or hit ignore if it's on gaf) and just move on

BatDan

Truth is that most people either don't watch dubs, or are so determined that dubs are bad that any and all examples just lead to them going "nuh huh it's terrible you don't understand". Best just to ignore those people (or hit ignore if it's on gaf) and just move on

Instant weeaboo indicator.

Pretty much all this...

The only time I'll object to dubs is if it's live-action. Then it just looks weird.

Levyne

Banned
Pretty much all this...

The only time I'll object to dubs is if it's live-action. Then it just looks weird.

Yep, since the actor on screen no longer is providing the voice.

When it's animation, you have to provide the voice regardless.

Pretty much all this...

Yeah, watching some dubbed episodes of Ultraman Tiga was hilarious because the voices didn't even try to match up. It's one thing when in an anime dub there is a split second where someones mouth moves and no noise is heard/noise is heard a split second before the mouth moves. But when someone talks for like 2-3 seconds with silence and we get a two word response anyone is instantly going to realize something is very wrong.

Korigama

Instant weeaboo indicator.
Also gonna agree with these. The disconnect with live-action makes sense, though.

EDIT: Also, finally watched last night's Space Dandy after missing it...incredible premiere. Michael Jackson Goku Dandy...fucking LOL.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
As a connoisseur of dubs I do just laugh off the notion that there is no such thing as a good dub and yes, it pretty much is the best hardcore Japanophile detector out there.

Sub only anime has a proven track record of not selling well at all. Dubbed anime sells better and dual audio better still. Interestingly enough, Dual audio games do not sell that much better than dub only games, not enough to make up the extra expense most of the time. The big boys do it when space isn't an issue because they don't care, they need to pay for two audio tracks anyways because they are the ones releasing it in all territories. N1 kind of got trapped by this, of course they needed dub and sub tracks for their own games but when they became a publisher their fanbase riots when they don't go for the more expensive option.

I find very few things more amusing than the undub community. I need this audio track in my life...that doesn't make any sense to me because I don't speak Japanese, and doesn't really sync with the subtitles as those have been properly localized with English idioms and forms of speech.

BatDan

They also seem to think it's better because they think they acting is better. Ever consider that because you don't speak Japanese, you're unable to tell if they're doing a good or bad job?

There are rare moments I can spot a bad actor in Japanese. Takko Ishimori as Sengoku in One Piece had some really off line-reads. Though that was probably due to him being sick as he died last year... *shrugs*

A really bad dub can ruin an anime or game ala 4kids one piece, arc rise fantasia, and most early dubs of live action japanese shows like ultraman tiga. At this point though dubs that are that bad are few and far between.

Though I will point out Man God that generally anime series that get released in the west as sub only are generally so niche that the cost of the dub wouldn't have been balanced out by any additional sales it would have gotten. Generally series that are dubbed are more popular and would have sold better regardless, though I will rarely buy a dvd if it isn't hybrid.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
A really bad dub can ruin an anime or game ala 4kids one piece, arc rise fantasia, and most early dubs of live action japanese shows like ultraman tiga. At this point though dubs that are that bad are few and far between.

Though I will point out Man God that generally anime series that get released in the west as sub only are generally so niche that the cost of the dub wouldn't have been balanced out by any additional sales it would have gotten. Generally series that are dubbed are more popular and would have sold better regardless, though I will rarely buy a dvd if it isn't hybrid.

Well, there was a period when someone came over here for the first time (aniplex, cough cough) and went sub only first with a separate dual audio release later.

Also during the early ass days of official anime release there was literally two camps dub only and sub only. Fun times. Dub only VHS did better, unsurprisingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom