• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul14| One pissed off Luffy

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
So I did a rewatch of Dandy (Funi sub this time) and it was fantastic on a 2nd watch. Not as big on the shock value, but it gave me more time to take a look at all the characters.

As for the sub, they did use different voice actors for different pairs and may have used some of the current actors for some of the parodies. Not 100% sure on that, but it seems like some pretty familiar voices, but def not the standard Dandy/QT/Meow. That or they have some insane range going on there.

On the sub/dub commentary:
why_not_both.gif

I find that both can be good and enjoyable. We are no longer stuck in the days of horrible dubs and almost all of them sound good, even when you can pick out the voice actor playing the role. Subs are good for those who want the original dialogue and can get around or are fine with missing some of the idioms that might not translate well.

I still don't understand why there are people who will shit on one or the other. It just does not make a lick of sense to me whatsoever.

Well, there was a period when someone came over here for the first time (aniplex, cough cough) and went sub only first with a separate dual audio release later.

Also during the early ass days of official anime release there was literally two camps dub only and sub only. Fun times. Dub only VHS did better, unsurprisingly.

Even as a kid I knew paying $20-40 for 2-3 episodes of dbz was insane, really glad that has largely died out (aniplex...)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Even as a kid I knew paying $20-40 for 2-3 episodes of dbz was insane, really glad that has largely died out (aniplex...)

Considering you can get like 100 episodes of One Piece for the same price as a single 6-7 episode Aniplex DVD... there's something seriously wrong here.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Viz only releasing their subs for the longest time on streaming services was such a kick in the nuts.

They finally corrected it in the dying days of Neon Alley and now on Hulu (and one dub track up on Netflix)

I guess their logic was...go buy the DVDs if you want both audio! It seemingly did not work!

Mik317

For me It really depends on which I watched first.

For example, I don't like Naruto's dub...but that is mainly because I watched the sub for the majority of it's run (ironically started with the dub but grew impatient and watched the sub because I was obsessed lol). With One Piece, I watched the dub mainly because I wanted to get caught up with Toonami (lol passed it at this point) and the sub is weird to me (not bad tho).

I prefer a good dub over sub mainly because it is easier to focus on the smaller details and keep up with the dialog. Most shows I watched had passable dubs so I can't say I'd ever picked the sub over the dub outside of simply not having the choice.

Seda

This is all I'll say on the subject (probably a retread of what I've said before).

I enjoy listening to the intonation of syllables, the phrasing of sentences, and inflections of words. More than just pitch - which could be inferred regardless of language spoken - I like to hear the more nuanced tonality to 'how things are said'. To throw in a specific example, one of Chang's lines in Black Lagoon was a sarcastic comment: "Well thank you, young lady."

There are probably a half-dozen ways that line could be voiced. He could have said it plain with even syllabic spacing, or maybe with extra emphasis on the 'thank you' which could imply insincerity in the comment.. The end result was that of a bitter but almost exasperated tone, ending with a trailing syllable ('young lade-eeee...)

I find that I am aurally-focused person in general and many of these things are just lost to me in the original language, and subs just aren't enough to cover. I don't have anything against subtitles or the people who prefer them at all, and I've watched a couple myself (not many, but I don't watch much anime really)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Another thing is I don't think I've ever met a dub only zealot. Hell I'm the closest thing I've ever met to one.

I guess there could be an extremely small contingent out there that likes anime but hates Japan and doesn't know its from there and I know there are people out there that hate to or can't read fast enough for subtitles, but I've never heard one of them take the subs shouldn't exist path either.

so, i watched Beware the Batman. the kiss aside
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
, what the fuck kind of security does Wayne Enterprises have? this dude can bring his girlfriend up to the lab of his super top secret electrical power thing and cook her food in the middle of the night?

MikeMyers

Speaking of Dubs, found this:

They showed two episodes at the Sailor Moon panel. The first being the second episode (the fortune teller one) that was never dubbed the first time around and the first after showing Sailor Moon Crystal (laptop issues, IIRC, and that this ep still had the timecodes on it).

As someone who watched the original dub when it originally aired in 1995 and still likes it, it was a bit odd to listen to but I warmed up to it after a bit.

Stephanie's Usagi is fine, and is a bit more higher pitched than her Orihime in Bleach. TBH, it kinda reminded me of Sailor Moon's original voice actress from the original dub (the one who preceded Terri Hawkes, who everyone remembers).

Michelle Ruff plays Luna a bit softer than she does Rukia. No British accent, but again fine after a bit.

Umino's is okay, no complaints.

Naru was odd to listen to with no Brooklyn accent, but still good.

Shingo was the only one that sounded miscast as he sounds way to old for his age.

Mamoru sounded fine.

There were a few background character voices that I felt could have been better but it wasn't deal breaking.

Another thing is I don't think I've ever met a dub only zealot...I guess there could be an extremely small contingent out there that likes anime but hates Japan... I've never heard one of them take the subs shouldn't exist path either.

Hello there, pleased to meet you.

Gorillaz

I understand those that have a hard time understand watching a dub after sub first It's jarring to switch to the english voices. That's my main thing, especially in AoT, I mentioned last week how hearing Squad Levi talk would throw me off a bit and get adjusted to. The script is another thing that makes it weird since either fluff is added or it would be cut around the corners.

On topic with Black Lagoon, I think it is a "special" case I would say where the script literally stays the same (even word for word from the manga I believe except for a few surprising things tbh) regardless of whichever you watch and the only difference is which one you enjoy. For the most part most shows don't follow 1:1 like that. I do enjoy the dub and think it beats out the sub (since English is my language obviously), in most parts of the show except later
where they speak Russian, English and Japanese in the show
but that is the only point I would give subs a edge in since they did it for "style" points.

TLDR: People can prefer one or the other but to shit talk dubs in 2014 is kind of laughable. It is some straight weeaboo, "I"m a master of Japan Culture" shit. Most likely half the shit I said probably didn't make sense above I'm half asleep, but you know me, you get the picture.

Also the scene Seda was talking about with Chang

ckohler

Space Dandy - Amazing episode. Too many awesome moments to mention. Who would have thought all those scenes in the preview were from the same episode?! I DON’T wanna die, Emo Dandy. I want more!

Naruto Shippuden - Sasori (my man) is finally dead. They tried to make it a surprise that his heart was in that cylinder when it was pretty obvious last episode. Purple blood? It wasn’t terrible but man, why drag this out so much? Even the creators must have known this pacing was too slow when they made this!

One Piece - Goofy battles continue. All-in-all more funny fights. I still hate Wanze but at least they explained his goofy face has a purpose. Why he would want to look that way is just dumb and I can’t even find it funny. It’s beyond cartoony. Franky is kicking but, brother, and that I like. Seemed like the cat dude was kind of a pushover.

Blue Exorcist - We’re in deep filler ending territory now and it shows. It’s not terrible but it’s confusing. I’m seriously lost as to who all these new people are and what their motivations are. Rin finally learned how to control his flames but other than that, I can’t tell what’s going on. Too bad the slice-of-life comedy is likely never to return. I just hope Izumo Kamiki will get a chance to strutt her skills before the show ends.

Black Lagoon - Lighthearted action! That’s more like it! Jane is a cutie pie and a nerd so she’s already a winner in my book. The comedy was solid in this episode and next episode looks like a rouges gallery of crazies. The new bounty hunters look like they will be fun to watch.

Beware the Batpushover - Cyhper, a guy who looks and crawls on walls like Spider-Man but uses cords to hijack people’s brains, goes around ruining people’s dates. More laughable physics and Batman once again getting temporarily beaten by a villain. I liked the banter between Bats and Gordon but otherwise the episode was meh.

Naruto - Exposition episode that at highlights the competitors. Not bad but not great. That teacher in the fishnet is fun and easy on the eyes. It is funny how this society lets children sign their own waivers to enter a contest to the death. Ninja-land is serious business!

Fullmetal Alchemist - This show should have won some Emmys. The drama and storytelling continues to be seriously great. Even things as simple as a phone call can have a huge emotional impact. Also, the voice acting is superb. The voice actress for that old woman (I forget her name) especially did a perfect job. Normally old women sound cheesy or “fake” in anime dubs but whoever was doing that voice provided a solid, dramatic performance.

I would have preferred more titans and full-bringers this week rather than repeats of Dandy but overall a good week.

BBboy20

O____________________________________________________O

i wanna die
Patient Zero of the Emo Dandy Apocalypse.

The voice actor of Jim Gordon on BTAS passed away recently :(
No :(

Anyways, I finally watched what Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is to see what this thing is about (playing the old fighting game's demo on Playstation Network is the closest thing to consuming this franchise). Nice to see Richard Epcar finally getting back into the spotlight again. Also, so Jotaro is Jojo (for the longest time, I noticed nobody in this franchise had that name). Is this series that much of a period piece though it was created in the '80s? Was Jojo like a pre-teen during the beginning flashbacks or his Stand make him that built (then again, it seems like regular teens appear to be adults anyways). Is there something special about the battles going multicolor or that's just the series way of further pushing the Bizarre in the series' title? That was probably the best performance I've heard Windee Lee do in a long time. Most importantly, I find it funny that in all of it's recent carnations, it never ceases to remind you that this is a manga franchise. Also, this is like the first time I've heard licensed Western music for an anime TV show. How long until we get to "IT WAS ME" meme?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Every protagonist is named Jojo. Jonathan Joestar, Joseph Joestar, Jotaro Kujo
The "It was me, Dio" part isn't in Part 3. It's in Part 1, which for some reason they skipped dubbing over (bad idea).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 17

Ah yes, this a pretty typical episode of the show all things considered, not amazing, but serviceable none the less. Yet it comes across as much more enjoyable after watching the much more serious Sailor Moon Crystal episode a few days ago. I can even have no appreciation for the much more comedic Chubby Usagi here. At any rate, there were a few highlights worth noting; the monster battle was a cut above the usual fare with Sailor Moon using more then use one move, the scouts usual counter being ineffective and Usagi haven't to be a bit more clever then usual. Also, the Sailor Moon communicator makes its debut here and it is another one of those gizmos that looks mind blowing and elite in 1993 but is downright antiquated by the standards of today. Anyway, an average but enjoyable episode, it can be watched or skipped.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 18

On this flipside of things, this episode left me rather cold, mainly for some maddening reason they felt that Singo needed another focus episode even when he is a little shit. Also, creepy dolls are creepy and will be night terrors for the next week. Still, I have to say even the weaker episodes of this arc are miles above what were were getting in the first period. Basically this show has by now hit its stride now that it has a better cast of characters to work with. Still, mild recommendation to evade this episode unless you have a stronger tolerance for obnoxious younger sibling episodes.

BBboy20

Every protagonist is named Jojo. Jonathan Joestar, Joseph Joestar, Jotaro Kujo
The "It was me, Dio" part isn't in Part 3. It's in Part 1, which for some reason they skipped dubbing over (bad idea).
So the character Dio possesses was the first protagonist? Interesting.

MikeMyers

Who said I would ever listen to this? Usagi's JP VA is difficult enough at times.

Not even out of curiosity? I'm more curious about Mamoru's dub voice.

I don't think there is an English equivalent of Toru Furuya, I haven't found one dubbed role of his characters that I like.

MikeMyers

It's certainly less grating than the Japanese version.

Kotono Mitsuishi's voice is quite iconic, but it hasn't aged well over 20 years.

Meanwhile Tohru Furuya sounds the exact same, was brought back for Saint Seiya Omega and DBZ Kai, but not Sailor Moon Crystal.

WTF.

Rewatched the Dandy episode yesterday, its still as amazing as it was the first time though my brain was better prepared. They really killed it with the joke timing and the various references.

Ponn

Banned
I was trying out Fairy Tail on Crunchyroll and was really enjoying it. I got to episode 12 though and see it jumps right to episode 49. That's quite a gap, is there a reason for this? I see they have like all the rest of the series I guess except for those. If I skip will I be missing alot? Can I just look up a summary for those missed episodes?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I was trying out Fairy Tail on Crunchyroll and was really enjoying it. I got to episode 12 though and see it jumps right to episode 49. That's quite a gap, is there a reason for this? I see they have like all the rest of the series I guess except for those. If I skip will I be missing alot? Can I just look up a summary for those missed episodes?

You don't happen to have Netflix do you? They have those episodes.

All those episodes are canon minus one (19) and looking over the events I would highly recommend not skipping them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom