• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul15| Sentai finally noticed us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It's likely the Adult Swim panel at Comic Con won't mention Toonami at all.
The average AS viewer is very apprehensive towards anime. It shows in the comments of their Shia LaBeouf video (official link here)

Holy crap, my dad gave a pill that was suppose to make me feel better ("the side effects are....you'll feel better"), but soon as I got to my grandma's place, all energy was gone & I took about a 1.5 hour nap, waking up at about 9 p.m.

So what did I miss during my trip up & nap? I see Digimon coming to the US, Sentai got Higurashi it seems (so did they rescue the rights or something?), I'm fully aware of Parasyte confirmed this morning.

Viz is bringing over the Legend of the Galactic Heroes novels, that was the other big thing

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Viz is bringing over the Legend of the Galactic Heroes novels, that was the other big thing
Never heard of it.

....aw crap, Jojo dub was suppose to premiere as well & it's most likely we're not getting an announcement for it at Anime Expo now if Parasyte was suppose to be it.

Grexeno

Never heard of it.

....aw crap, Jojo dub was suppose to premiere as well & it's most likely we're not getting an announcement for it at Anime Expo now if Parasyte was suppose to be it.
Well, maybe Parasyte wasn't the announcement, or there was going to be more than one.

But more likely the JoJo dub just wasn't ready in time for Toonami to obtain it in time to announce it at Anime Expo

BatDan

Viz has the novels and Sentai has the anime.
It all started in the 80's. This sounds like something that's been LONG overdue.

Regiruler

It's likely the Adult Swim panel at Comic Con won't mention Toonami at all.
The average AS viewer is very apprehensive towards anime. It shows in the comments of their Shia LaBeouf video (official link here)
Wait, that was an official video?
eMMPOE5.png

Wait, I charted? FUCK YEAH

...although still below seda

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Viz has the novels and Sentai has the anime.
It all started in the 80's. This sounds like something that's been LONG overdue.

There are a lot of reasons why it never came over, some involving licensing issues (once upon a time they basically sold off batches of episodes rather than the whole damn thing, making it a complete legal mess to navigate).

There's also the fact that it's an OVA series, not a TV series. Which means that few, if any, of the episodes are actually of appropriate broadcast length. That's 110 episodes of show that don't fit on the air. That's a LOT of show you have to pay for without being able to leverage it on TV.

And there's also a 52 episode Gaiden OVA series that is basically all the stuff that couldn't quite fit into the main story itself (most of it being stuff about Reinhard and Kircheis in their early career).

And also a movie that sets up the entire series and is kind of indispensable.

And also it's extreeeeeeemely talky and requires its audience to remember an absolutely staggeringly massive cast of important and relevant characters and all their various political machinations.

And also it's pretty old and looks it.

And so on and so forth.

Grexeno

There are a lot of reasons why it never came over, some involving licensing issues (once upon a time they basically sold off batches of episodes rather than the whole damn thing, making it a complete legal mess to navigate).

There's also the fact that it's an OVA series, not a TV series. Which means that few, if any, of the episodes are actually of appropriate broadcast length. That's 110 episodes of show that don't fit on the air. That's a LOT of show you have to pay for without being able to leverage it on TV.

And there's also a 52 episode Gaiden OVA series that is basically all the stuff that couldn't quite fit into the main story itself (most of it being stuff about Reinhard and Kircheis in their early career).

And also a movie that sets up the entire series and is kind of indispensable.

And also it's extreeeeeeemely talky and requires its audience to remember an absolutely staggeringly massive cast of important and relevant characters and all their various political machinations.

And also it's pretty old and looks it.

And so on and so forth.
Coming to Toonami when? :p

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The last time someone tried bringing it over the pricing survey indicated the whole thing would run over 1000 bucks. Sub Only. Final Destination.

Only one slight correction on what Metatron said. It does not look old. It looks AMAZING.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I would love to see a dub attempted for LOGH. It would require just about every professional voice actor working in the business today.

I can't think of anybody who can handle all that von Lohengramm swag, though.

Moaradin

I would love to see a dub attempted for LOGH. It would require just about every professional voice actor working in the business today.

I can't think of anybody who can handle all that von Lohengramm swag, though.

I can't think of any other series that would be as much work to dub as LOTGH.

And Norio Wakamoto should still voice Oskar von Reuenthal in broken English.

BatDan

Doesn't LOGH have like hundreds of characters or something? I don't see them being able to dub that.

Over 600.
It's very likely this will be a sub-only release. But it would be one hell of an accomplishment if it was dubbed.

saw that patrick seitz tweet and expected news on jojo dub, and all i got was dissapointment ;_;

seriously what is going on with jojo? last i heard numbuh 1 is joseph and the dub was premiering at AX.

Over 600.
It's very likely this will be a sub-only release. But it would be one hell of an accomplishment if it was dubbed.

God damn, that's a lot of people. They better have some names on those subs or I probably wouldn't remember anyone of them lol.

yami4ct

Parasyte is a perfect pickup for Toonami. Really glad they grabbed that. It's a shame Sentai is dubbing it, though. Unless they up their quality a bunch, the dub might be nigh unlistenable.

It was probably my favorite show of last year. Hope you guys enjoy!

Conan-san

Oh. Oh good, because when I think Toonami I think Dub that barely passes Odex's lax QA on the matter.

(Still angry about Outbreak Company, that show didn't do nothin' to deserve that dub)

yami4ct

Oh. Oh good, because when I think Toonami I think Dub that barely passes Odex's lax QA on the matter.

(Still angry about Outbreak Company, that show didn't do nothin' to deserve that dub)

The Gintama Movie is one of the worst dubs I've seen in the modern dub era. It pretty much loses all of the series' personality.

Line_HTX

I think we're back. At first I thought it was my Firefox because I updated it haha.

Who is worse... or better... Yui or Nui?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom