• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun15| Thread made with armor plating from a SPACE BATTLESHIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it ends up being the case that Bang Zoom is dubbing Eva 3.33 it's kind of crazy how much did Funi botch their version of 3.33 that it lead to another company having to dub it

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
4. Alexander the Greats Rise

9bdRcv1.jpg

Amikami

Banned
Okay, so I'm a slow ass. With the e3 hype, excitement and disappointment last Sunday and this past week, I got pretty sidetracked. I've been meaning to get this posted and finally, here it is. Sorry for the delay.

My Hero Academia-Chapter 1

Okay so I finally got the chance to give My Hero Academia a go. Trusting my fellow toonami gaffers Raxus and Fox, whom have great taste, I didn't even bother to read a synopsis. I have to say, its quite a treat.

Wanna start off with talking about the art style. I can be very picky when it comes to art (not something I’ve proud of) and I’ll have a much harder time following an art style that confuses me. This happened a lot with One Piece for some reason because there was always so much going on and with the strange anatomy of some of OPs characters and structures it could be a turnoff. It was one reason why I fell for Naruto’s arts style instantly especially in the later years. It was stylized but anatomically simple and pleasing, though sometimes too much so. While Hero Academia has a lot going on, its still got that rhythm to the pages that makes it flow for me. The panels are vibrant with a pretty neat style choice and fun looking character design that allow each one to stand out. Not to mention there feels like a lot of comic book inspiration happening here. I know art is a small piece of the overall quality but it’s the first thing I notice and I’m happy to say, I love it.

The concept is pretty good and although the main character has a pretty common ambition (this is a shounen) the setting and circumstances of his predicament are fun and you already can’t wait to see how he becomes the hero. Also, I just think it’s a pretty damn good way to go for a story because I don’t know a single person including myself who has never wanted to have a super power and be a hero (or villain) as a kid yet there’s that point where you grow up and stop make believing because it’s impossible. In a childish and silly way, you can relate with the protagonist. So the story is fun because it plays with all those old ideas and dreams. Its almost a nostalgia sort of feeling. I like the character of the protagonist. His never give up attitude is familiar but there’s that hint of inner helplessness and uselessness in such a dangerous world that comes through really well so in that sense, the dialogue and art is effective. All in all, he’s a likable kid, and the fact that I already care about him succeeding says a lot, regardless of the fact that I’ve seen this plot 101 times already.

The best friend turned rival is another of those cliche pieces that I’ve seen a bit too much of but its too soon to say how I feel about it. Katsuki is a grade A dick tho. I would like to see more history on his character and the relationship he had/has with Izuka but for now, I’m lukewarm on this rivalry aspect.
I’ll wait to see how this develops but he’s likely on the path to being Izuka’s stepping stone to growth and perhaps even long-term antagonist.

ALL Might must be one of my favorite pieces of the story. Such an odd and peculiar character. The tiny bit we get of his story is dissatisfying…in a good way. I'm only hungry for more of the story of
how he rose to fame, and the story of the event and villain that seems to be taking him down the path to an early retirement (He’ll probably die :( )
He definitely connects with a Izuka on several levels and being inspired by his fan as much as his fan is inspired by him made me appreciate his character even more because there isn’t an annoying amount of arrogance and I can see the possibility of a friendship and fun combo in the heat of battle. I only fear he’ll leave us too soon but he seems on track to become a good mentor.

All In all, the first chapter was a blast. Interesting characters and creatures alike. Love the Classic comic book hero feeling I get from it. Love the designs and most the characters are already shaping up to have such great personalities. For a first chapter, it was a great one and has easily convinced me to see where this all goes. Great start. Now I’m off to read more and will comment again after several chapters. Just wanted to give my impressions after the 1st chapter. Thanks Raxus and Fox for the recommendation. Would recommend to anyone who hasn't tried it yet.

Being the first chapter, I figure this first post shouldn't be too spoilery and blocked little of it, but if anyone think I should spoiler more, just let me know.

My Hero Academy has an english name, it's on the Japanese cover art of the volumes and it was even on the title of the first chapter, why do people consist on using the weeb name Boku no Hero Academia. It's not a case like Food Wars! Shokugeki No Soma where Viz got Food Wars out of nowhere and they lazily just slapped the new English name in front of the Japanese one.

My Hero Academy has an english name, it's on the Japanese cover art of the volumes and it was even on the title of the first chapter, why do people consist on using the weeb name Boku no Hero Academia. It's not a case like Food Wars! Shokugeki No Soma where Viz got Food Wars out of nowhere and they lazily just slapped the new English name in front of the Japanese one.

Who cares? People are going to use both names, everyone will know what series it is either way, like Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin. It's not a MAL weeb everything up scenario like calling Mobile Suit Gundam Kidou Senshi Gundam or calling Legend of the Galactic Heroes Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu because no one calls them that.

Blame scanlation groups and Everything Sounds Sexier in French

Seda

on that note though:

Meta, what's the reasoning for titling it Michiko e Hatchin in your schedules? The English name seems to use &, or I see Michiko to Hatchin.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I don't think people know what the word Weeabo means anymore

It was originally a word filter on /a/ to change any instance of "Wapanese" into "Weeaboo", which was taken from a Perry Bible Fellowship comic about an office game that involved spanking people with paddles.
Originally it was meant to mock white people that thought they were Japanese because they watched Naruto, ate pocky and randomly inserted Japanese words into regular conversation.

Puruzi

Banned
It was originally a word filter on /a/ to change any instance of "Wapanese" into "Weeaboo", which was taken from a Perry Bible Fellowship comic about an office game that involved spanking people with paddles.
Originally it was meant to mock white people that thought they were Japanese because they watched Naruto, ate pocky and randomly inserted Japanese words into regular conversation.

what

BatDan

I think even Adult Swim was ashamed of Boondocks Season 4 because I NEVER see them repeat those episodes.

BatDan

What was wrong with those episodes? Didn't follow them.

They were bad. The lack of series creator Aaron McGruder was very evident.
All the sharp satire of the first three seasons was gone, in its place was blunt forceful messages, lame parodies, and way too much focus on Grandad. There's a lot more reasons...

Ultratech

Unlike Jojo's, Alexander's was actually on Adult Swim, too.

Damn, that was a long time ago...

Reign was sort of a weird, but interesting show.

In other news, I watched Berserk: The Egg of the King today.

Wasn't too bad, but it's definitely got me interested in Berserk now.

Now to hunt down the Manga (then read it all in about a week or two then join everyone else in despair while waiting on the next chapter...yes, I've read the Berserk threads.)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So Trailer Park Boys and Boondocks come back within weeks of each other, both without their creator/original lead writer.

TPB has it's best season and then another good season after it. Boondocks has a season so bad it nearly poisons all good memories one has of old Boondocks.

Bang Zoom, to pick up an earlier conversation, dubbed almost everything Bandai of America brought over, save for Gundam.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
on that note though:

Meta, what's the reasoning for titling it Michiko e Hatchin in your schedules? The English name seems to use &, or I see Michiko to Hatchin.
Not sure about "e", but I do know "to" is basically the Japanese equivalent of the word "and".

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Boku no academia just sounds better for some reason, as posted earlier: "sounds sexier in french" or whatever.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
You are slowly killing crocodile by saying this every week you know.

Can I just say how happy I am I see Toonami peeps popping up in My Hero Academia and Steven Universe threads? It fills me with joy.

Is this referencing me

TheChits

So Trailer Park Boys and Boondocks come back within weeks of each other, both without their creator/original lead writer.

TPB has it's best season and then another good season after it. Boondocks has a season so bad it nearly poisons all good memories one has of old Boondocks.

Bang Zoom, to pick up an earlier conversation, dubbed almost everything Bandai of America brought over, save for Gundam.

TPB is fuckin decent. <3

Crocodile

I hate that this is simultaneously the worst possible outcome and also the only possible one.

Clearly they will be too busy making Dragon Ball Super and the 15 other shows they are currently making.

I hope

You are slowly killing crocodile by saying this every week you know.

Can I just say how happy I am I see Toonami peeps popping up in My Hero Academia and Steven Universe threads? It fills me with joy.

It's almost like we have good taste. Weird :p

I pray to anime jesus every night that My Hero Academy will get an awesome anime adaptation the way series like Jojo and Soma have. It really feels like it's a series that is waiting for a good anime adaptation before it explodes into a worldwide hit.

Grexeno

I pray to anime jesus every night that My Hero Academy will get an awesome anime adaptation the way series like Jojo and Soma have. It really feels like it's a series that is waiting for a good anime adaptation before it explodes into a worldwide hit.
"That's a pretty popular comic you have there..............would be a shame if anything Toei'd it."

If it ends up being the case that Bang Zoom is dubbing Eva 3.33 it's kind of crazy how much did Funi botch their version of 3.33 that it lead to another company having to dub it
There must be some amazing stories behind this. Getting to release 3.33 is about as close to a sure deal as it gets with anime. How could you possibly screw something up this badly? Wasn't an English version previewed and everything?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's very likely that it has nothing to do with the Funimation's dub quality and everything to do with a weird power play from the rights holder. There's plenty of times where the home office thinks they know what is best for the American audience and completely fucks something up.

Either that or maybe one or more of the actors essential for consistency works at Bang Zoom now.

There must be some amazing stories behind this. Getting to release 3.33 is about as close to a sure deal as it gets with anime. How could you possibly screw something up this badly? Wasn't an English version previewed and everything?

Yeah Funimation had a preview event for the dub like early 2014, and apparently the dub had some major mistakes that caused the parent company in Japan to freak out and lead to delays and redubbing.

Strike

Gonna have to DVR Kai and Kill la Kill again. Already seen Michiko and Hatchin, but enjoy it, first timers. It's a fun ride.

Cwarrior

You mean jojo that cool anime that had 2 seasons of motion comic and that generic pervy crap food something.

Jojo is pretty damn cool but lets not get high here,studio pierrot & toei are better in nearly every way(direction,animation & music) then those guys behind those two animes, jojo was special case that had 20+ years of manga material unlike My Hero Academy.

My Hero Academy looks like the type of manga that has Toei written all over it hehhehehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom