• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun15| Thread made with armor plating from a SPACE BATTLESHIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squalor

One of the best things One Piece did was establish a wide range of at-on-point mythical characters so that when they finally showed up later on, it didn't seem as though One Piece was pulling new, stronger characters out of its ass at every moment the plot called for it.

There are some characters who wind up coming out of nowhere, but it's not as blatant as other anime.

One of the best things One Piece did was establish a wide range of at-on-point mythical characters so that when they finally showed up later on, it didn't seem as though One Piece was pulling new, stronger characters out of its ass at every moment the plot called for it.

There are some characters who wind up coming out of nowhere, but it's not as blatant as other anime.

Yeah One Piece has always been good at setting things up for the long, long run instead of the DBZ style of "I am here now, I am stronger then the last guy for reasons"

Squalor

Yeah One Piece has always been good at setting things up for the long, long run instead of the DBZ style of "I am here now, I am stronger then the last guy for reasons"
Exactly. I mean, we're halfway through the series at this point (manga and Japanese anime), and there are still major characters who have been known for years, yet whom we haven't really seen yet. It's really impressive.

Grexeno

Yeah, Aokiji is really the only character who just shows up and is incredibly powerful without being established beforehand sort of.

Squalor

Yeah, Aokiji is really the only character who just shows up and is incredibly powerful without being established beforehand sort of.
Even still, the general thought of an Aokiji-tier character existed because the anime had already established that Admirals were ridiculously strong.

Smoker was only a Captain when he owned Luffy, so knowing that there were higher-ranking people was enough of a warning.

Exactly. I mean, we're halfway through the series at this point (manga and Japanese anime), and there are still major characters who have been known for years, yet whom we haven't really seen yet. It's really impressive.

The biggest are obviously (minor manga spoilers)

Doflamingo - setup was like, 13 years for him and the Yonkou being introduced after Enies Lobby, only becoming important at Marineford years later, involved with Luffy at Fishman Island about a year later and now we are finally pushing to take down Kaidou, who we have not even seen.

Grexeno

Doflamingo - setup was like, 13 years for him and the Yonkou being introduced after Enies Lobby, only becoming important at Marineford years later, involved with Luffy at Fishman Island about a year later and now we are finally pushing to take down Kaidou, who we have not even seen.
Doflamingo is just absolutely fucking spectacular. His introduction shows him to be a spectacular asshole, and he continues to be a massive asshole throughout the series until literally 13 years later when he finally becomes the main villain of an arc. Even funnier is that the first episode of One Piece shown on nu-Toonami has the scene where he forces Sarquiss to (not) kill Bellamy.

And after all that, he's a disc-one final boss for Kaido.

Squalor

Doflamingo is just absolutely fucking spectacular. His introduction shows him to be a spectacular asshole, and he continues to be a massive asshole throughout the series until literally 13 years later when he finally becomes the main villain of an arc. Even funnier is that the first episode of One Piece shown on nu-Toonami has the scene where he forces Sarquiss to (not) kill Bellamy.

And after all that, he's a disc-one final boss for Kaido.
Oh, absolutely. He is a wonder character, one of the best villains around.

Another one who is just picking up steam for importance, yet whom we don't really know too much about is
Big Mom

And we still haven't seen Dragon and Shanks do anything, yet they're both key figures.

Seda

SGiJ5kI.gif

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Now that it's summer I have more free time, so I figured I'd actually watch Sword Art Online so that I can actually maybe watch Sword Art Online II with Toonamigaf. I'm watching the dub through Netflix, so it's essentially identical to the version shown on Toonami. In blatant imitation of Htown, I'm going to post my impressions here.
oh god

what have I done

Rakkety Tam

don't

don't do this

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I like episode 1 and 3 of the original SAO and most of the second arc.

Those of you who don't like the time skip, you do realize that without it Aincrad would be a 50+ episode show, right? Plus its a linear time skip and nothing crazy like playing episodes out of order, with minimal flashbacks.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I like episode 1 and 3 of the original SAO and most of the second arc.

Those of you who don't like the time skip, you do realize that without it Aincrad would be a 50+ episode show, right? Plus its a linear time skip and nothing crazy like playing episodes out of order, with minimal flashbacks.

Honestly, Aincrad might have been better as a 50 episode show. They'd have been able to delve into the issues more and develop the characters and world better. What we got was a rushed hunk of trash that made next to no sense, a competent writing team and a longer episode count would have done wonders.

Rakkety Tam

Neo Member
Welcome Tam and let me be the first to say you are putting way too much effort into a series that goes off the deep end fast. Still glad to see you enthusiastic!
Thanks, though I have posted here a few times. I figure this will be fun to do, though it might take a while.
Don't listen to Raxus. Go all in, Tam. Immerse yourself fully in the world of SAO.
I'll do my best, haha.
I can't even... I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Let's not get crazy; I'm only one episode in (this time).
That was like the first five minutes of the episode. If it hadn't been for that damn 10-15 minute stretch where we got the MMO controls explained to us for no goddamned reason it could have been a really really good opening episode.
It was a pretty decent first episode. The whole let's fight a boar thing was to introduce basic world concepts (which can vary greatly depending on the game, so fair enough), and to let us get to know Klein and Kirito a bit. In-universe it was a newbie trying to pick up tips from an experienced player rather than fumbling around, which feels completely genuine.
oh god

what have I done

Rakkety Tam

don't

don't do this
I'm sure it'll be fine. Gotta catch up so I can watch SAO II live.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It was a pretty decent first episode. The whole let's fight a boar thing was to introduce basic world concepts (which can vary greatly depending on the game, so fair enough), and to let us get to know Klein and Kirito a bit. In-universe it was a newbie trying to pick up tips from an experienced player rather than fumbling around, which feels completely genuine.

Honestly, I get that but it still felt wasted. What you're describing should be like a 3 minute interaction and not half an episode. Had they met up and gone off questing together and had a small adventure it would have been better.

BBboy20

Swery is following me on Twitter despite never playing any of his games (unless you count pre-ordering DMC4SE) so that's something.

BBboy20

You should totally play/watch Deadly Premonition
I watched the beginning portions of it two years ago. Actually was thinking of finding the Xbox version but never came around.

D4 is on Steam so maybe if that or Deadly Premonition come on the flash sales, I should buy them.

Rakkety Tam

Neo Member
Honestly, I get that but it still felt wasted. What you're describing should be like a 3 minute interaction and not half an episode. Had they met up and gone off questing together and had a small adventure it would have been better.

The whole boar sequence was about two-and-a-half minutes. Then we have about five minutes for Kirito and Klein to talk about NerveGear and to find about being able to log-out. I think the first episode was pretty well spaced-out, honestly.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The whole boar sequence was about two-and-a-half minutes. Then we have about five minutes for Kirito and Klein to talk about NerveGear and to find about being able to log-out. I think the first episode was pretty well spaced-out, honestly.

Eh, it wasn't a bad episode but it could easily have been done better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom