• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun15| Thread made with armor plating from a SPACE BATTLESHIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm telling you, if you want a Gen Urobuchi show, it has to be Madoka Magica.
... Or Kamen Rider Gaim but that probably won't happen on Toonami.

Madoka and Fate/Zero are by far the best butcher shows. Haven't seen Psycho-pass, though I hear S1 is pretty good.

Lets be honest beating stuff like Tenchi Muyu GXP, Naruto and Thundercats isn't that hard

Its probably my bias towards mechs that makes me like it more than I should, but I personally think its better than SAO and what we've seen from KLK so far.

Madoka and Fate/Zero are by far the best butcher shows. Haven't seen Psycho-pass, though I hear S1 is pretty good.

S1 is alright if you can do the mental gymnastics to buy into the way this system works. It does some cool things but not really enough to excuse it on its many many faults. The openings are really good.

Kind of like SAO! I would say PP is better then SAO though.

And Psycho Pass S2 is some awful shit. Like fuck dude.

Its probably my bias towards mechs that makes me like it more than I should, but I personally think its better than SAO and what we've seen from KLK so far.

I don't really like KLK a great deal but its loads better then A/Z. Although Ryuko is probably worse then Inaho so congrats on that

Well that's not possible when the show wants to be treated as a serious drama.
Yes it is. This isn't the first time you've ever seen SAO so you know exactly what you're getting into with this show. Continuing to try and treat it like a serious work of fiction and then getting pissed off is like purposely putting your hand in the fire if you ask me. The show is bad but I'm able to laugh at its absurdity.

I just really hope Mahouka never gets picked up on Toonami because at least SAO has production values.

Mahouka has nothing. It is the worst anime I have ever watched start to finish. My morbid curiosity about light novel popularity needs to stop

Fortunately/unfortunately it seems Netflix has Psycho-Pass on lockdown so I doubt we will ever see it on Toonami

Did Netflix sign some exclusive deal for Psycho-Pass or something? There have been a lot of shows on Toonami that are on Netflix.

S1 is alright if you can do the mental gymnastics to buy into the way this system works. It does some cool things but not really enough to excuse it on its many many faults. The openings are really good.

Kind of like SAO! I would say PP is better then SAO though.

And Psycho Pass S2 is some awful shit. Like fuck dude.

I don't really like KLK a great deal but its loads better then A/Z. Although Ryuko is probably worse then Inaho so congrats on that

Yeah, I've heard from lots of people that PP S2 is garbage, but it gets slightly better as it goes on. I need to watch S1 at least for myself since I love cyberpunk shows like GitS.

And I hear the last third of KLK is good, though I'd be impressed if it was worse than the last 4-5 episodes or so. But I agree that KLK is definitely a better show.

And I hear the last third of KLK is good, though I'd be impressed if it was worse than the last 4-5 episodes or so. But I agree that KLK is definitely a better show.

I think the last third of KLK is alright after some complete garbage scenes that made me contemplate dropping the show. KLK is so spotty in quality I honestly don't know how to rate it. I think I mostly enjoyed it but when I really think about it I end up coming with a huge list of things I didn't like? I dunno.

Crocodile

Yes it is. This isn't the first time you've ever seen SAO so you know exactly what you're getting into with this show. Continuing to try and treat it like a serious work of fiction and then getting pissed off is like purposely putting your hand in the fire if you ask me. The show is bad but I'm able to laugh at its absurdity.

There's "stupid funny" and "stupid stupid". SAO falls more into the later, at least IMO. Like not even "so bad its good" but just like bad :(

I just really hope Mahouka never gets picked up on Toonami because at least SAO has production values.

Mahouka has nothing. It is the worst anime I have ever watched start to finish. My morbid curiosity about light novel popularity needs to stop

5 minutes into the 1st episode you could tell the sister was getting wet just talking about her brother. I NOPE'D out of there so fast I left a dust trail. I have no idea how you stuck with it all the way. At least the opening song is nice?

I think the last third of KLK is alright after some complete garbage scenes that made me contemplate dropping the show. KLK is so spotty in quality I honestly don't know how to rate it. I think I mostly enjoyed it but when I really think about it I end up coming with a huge list of things I didn't like? I dunno.

I feel the same way. Lots of things I don't like, but I'm still having fun with it. The amazing dub and great OST are definitely making me still enjoy it, though I haven't really been enjoying it as much since the king of the hill battle started.

At that point it will be too old.

Just like Michiko and Hatchin (2009), or InuYasha Final Act (2009), or Black Lagoon (2006)

Oh wait

Unless Netflix has a 40 year deal there is no way Psycho pass will be exclusive with them for so long that it'll ever be considered "too old"

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Great stuff SAB. Wish I could draw as good as you to make some killer pictures for my WiiU.

I think they edited out Mataro nekkid in KLK but I could be wrong.

Thanks:) I wish I had more time, and that my gamepad wasn't bugging out to the left-ish area. I kinda miss the rerun wall at nights end now, more and more.

Did Mataro really pain his fully nude body? LoL. That might be just a bit extreme...

You messed with the WRONG BLOCK!

Great work, SAB.

Thanks, I had fun with this one. Though it needed so many more faces!

Sketched Dumped due to time:
  • Shikon no Tama X Dio no Sama
  • Some Naruto Troll face... Manly Sora?
  • Serious Pixis or SCREAMING VEGETALLO CAPTAIN!
  • Better Rendering of Crying Shinon, scribbles Kirito.ManlyGuySinonKilledDeathGun
  • More One Piece something...BossesLuffy?
ckohler said:
InuYasha: The Final Act - It’s final battle time and I like seeing everyone attacking Naraku all at once… something maybe they should have tried 50-something episodes ago. That last minute attempt at character redemption for Naraku (about him really wanting Kikiyo’s heart) felt really forced and pointless. It wasn’t “good-guy Satan” bad but it was still unnecessary and melodramatic. Once the well disappeared and the the revisionist history stuff started, I found the story interesting and quite refreshing. With InuYasha fighting to save Kagome from inside the Jewel, this feels like a legit finale now. I’m excited to see how this ultimately ends! Rating: I don't know. There’s a lot of guys.

Naaa, don't read Naraku as trying to be redeemed. Read it as him just... getting back to the original point for his demon descent. He fell for Kikyo while she was secretly nursing him back to health, and everything he did was a way for him to greedily think he deserved a good life with her.. but even as proud and full of himself as he was, he finally admits that he was a pawn of greater powers all along.

I actually liked this, as I think the audience also feels like "The despicable man who never sullies his own hands" was also a big, tricky bad by now, too. To see the deceiver get deceived, used, and ultimately, no matter how good he was at it, get turned into basically an incarnation of the jewel's will, is a good, long-built twist.

-----

Impressions DUMP:

DBZ - I'm actally really enjoying seeing Vegeta as a well-developed, multi-faceted villan. Everyone remembers DBZ as screams and beams, but to see the action-drama that comes though the factions vying for the same items, reminds me so much of Dragon Ball, or how I remember it. I enjoy Toriyama's characters, and how they develop. He doesn't rely on Japanese Stereotypical characters as much as much manga, which feels really refreshing for me.

Kill La Kill: Bye Ragyo! Really, I don't like her character. She offends me more than SAO ever will, lol. It's rare that I dislike a character enough that I won't feel bad for her own daughter killing her off... but... I don't care here. Maybe it's because I feel more like Ragyo was a poorly formed foil for Satsuki, rather than a mother-character.

On the other side of this, I've liked seeing Satsuki chill in a robe whilst sipping on the bitter coffee of nostalgic thoughts. Her face looks so much softer during these times, removing her from that "I WAS BADASS EVEN AS A TODDLER!" drama they normally have for her, and actually making her feel like she has some dimensions.

SAOhNo: I'm not nearly as bothered by Sinon's breakdown as many here. Asian works seem to all give any memorable female characters, some moments of vulnerability. Yin and Yang in harmony, not just too much of one side or another. And this has nothing to do with Kirito just being better; her real life is just catching up to her "second life", and this is the first time she's really thought of them as being fully connected.

I do kinda wish they'd make her real shooting of a man a level above Kirito's "I killed a VR avatar sans blood and gore, and assume he died IRL" trauma, though. He's killed more, she's killed face-to-face...

As far as "just log out", I wish they'd have the headsets hacked and trapping them in the game, partially for plot
, Partially so everyone would stop complaining about it.
Watching him run her through, to force her to re-spawn in town would be kinda funny. Or did something like that already happen with Leafa?

Inuyasha" Inuyasha stands on it's own well enough, as something I've known of for(EVER), that Final Act's particular pacing is easily forgotten. It might really be meandering on it's advancement in this final battle, but... I actually secretly want it to. I want to see EVERY stupid thing referenced, resolved, and mentioned. From Sesshy's daddy and bro issues to Geninji to Shippo's first love.

As mentioned above, I like seeing Naraku remembering why he became a demon composition in the first place. He's spent the entire series trying to purge weakness devrived from Kikyo away. Or trying to deny the very feeling that led him to become the being he was. But he's done this while thinking he was always in control. We though he was, too! We have an entire cast of characters who had their entire lives blackened by his existence...

... and then we come to find out that even he was just a pawn. EVERYTHING has a will, a desire, and an opinion on such in Inuyasha. So why not the Jewel of Four Souls too, eh?

I liked seeing Hojo and Kagome's entourage in Normal / Colleg- High school getups. It's a vision on what's RIGHT there; it feels like progress, after seeing everyone in their final year of "middle school" stuffs for so long. (This will never feel right, btw.)

Naruto Sleepuden: I'm not paying attention, lol. I MISS RERUNS! *ahem* Oddly, it really is the "Black Mark" of the block for me, really.. I think about how much I loved some of OG Naruto, and how excited I was for Shippuden when it was first announced, but I really don't care at all right now.

One Piece: ALSO NOT PAYING ATTENTION! Eh, it was nice to hear Splithead again. I payed little attention beyond that.

AoT: So now I'm hearing Vegeta FREAK OUT while screaming at someone? Dragonball was still on- Oh, wait, nevermind.

I still like Pixis, though I feel like I wish he did more in S1. Not that he's in a position to. But I would have liked to see how he'd interact with the foraging into wilder territory.

Gorillaz

Psycho pass is still a good pick to me for Toonami no matter how long the Netflix hold last. I mean lagoon is almost a decade old and we still had it. PP will be on the block eventually

LOLDSFAN

The highlight of last night.

sMTIAM7.gif

NGKx7MC.gif

I'll admit of all the sao female characters going from strong independent to "SAVE ME KIRITO" Sinon is by far the best handeled and most deserving in her arc to act that way. Sinon may act like a tough/strong character, but deep down she has severe ptsd from that incident as a child and the constant bullying she suffered through her life combined with not getting the proper therapy or support she needed. Part of the problem is of course is that this is happening in SAO and we've seen this song and dance twice before in this series and know nothing good or meaningful will come from these moments. Additionally its presented not in a way that makes us feel like we're seeing the real Sinon exposed but its more done in a way to make Kirito look amazing and of couse he doesn't deserve that because he hasn't earned being awesome he basically just is awesome because of bad writing.

ckohler

SAOhNo: I'm not nearly as bothered by Sinon's breakdown as many here. Asian works seem to all give any memorable female characters, some moments of vulnerability. Yin and Yang in harmony, not just too much of one side or another. And this has nothing to do with Kirito just being better; her real life is just catching up to her "second life", and this is the first time she's really thought of them as being fully connected.

I'll admit of all the sao female characters going from strong independent to "SAVE ME KIRITO" Sinon is by far the best handeled and most deserving in her arc to act that way. Sinon may act like a tough/strong character, but deep down she has severe ptsd from that incident as a child and the constant bullying she suffered through her life combined with not getting the proper therapy or support she needed. Part of the problem is of course is that this is happening in SAO and we've seen this song and dance twice before in this series and know nothing good or meaningful will come from these moments. Additionally its presented not in a way that makes us feel like we're seeing the real Sinon exposed but its more done in a way to make Kirito look amazing and of couse he doesn't deserve that because he hasn't earned being awesome he basically just is awesome because of bad writing.

I agree with both of you. I think I'm still too mad at what an obvious missed opportunity it has been for this show to have a strong female character that I haven't commented on what IS good about Sinon's character portrayal. I honestly don't blame her for being scared or having a hard time dealing with her trauma. It makes sense. It just frustrates me that she has to deal with these things but Kirito just sorta shrugs them off with ease and in the process makes Sinon look like a weak little girl by comparison... because... well, he's Kirito and he's some bastion of perfection.

I may take Gucci's advice and watch next week's SAO II as if it's supposed to be a comedy. I may enjoy it more than being frustrated. As bad as this show is written, I still think (so far) that the show was worth adding to the block if only for the meltdowns.

Also, nice work SAB.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
We need a harem comedy season for SAO III. Shinon if involved is real competition for Asuna, compared to the also rans that make up his harem now.

We need a harem comedy season for SAO III. Shinon if involved is real competition for Asuna, compared to the also rans that make up his harem now.

Well S2 later spoilers
the next arc the Excalibur arc is basically that, Kirito and the harem go on an adventure in fairy land it's probably the best arc in the series because it basically plays like a harem action comedy

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The biggest problem with Shinon's breakdown is it is not being used to earthen or give nuance to her character but rather just another bolstering moment for the Kirito power fantasy hour. Also, it is not helping that this shit is literally poorly written, like the voice actors are trying their best but you are always going to be undercut by lines like "I know I said I hate you but I need to borrow your lap."

So while watching the dub of Seraph of the End I recognized Monical Ral as the loli vampire queen and while browsing her BtVA page I realized she also voices Michiko in the upcoming Toonami anime. Here's a really good trailer I found on Funi's youtube page which gives a far better taste of the dub and series then the Momocon announcement trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj5_cpMklWI

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SAO is all about putting Kirito over. He can only lose if his opponent cheats, he's always got to be the one who saves the day, he's smarter, faster, stronger than everyone else.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well S2 later spoilers
the next arc the Excalibur arc is basically that, Kirito and the harem go on an adventure in fairy land it's probably the best arc in the series because it basically plays like a harem action comedy

That sounds horrible.

The biggest problem with Shinon's breakdown is it is not being used to earthen or give nuance to her character but rather just another bolstering moment for the Kirito power fantasy hour. Also, it is not helping that this shit is literally poorly written, like the voice actors are trying their best but you are always going to be undercut by lines like "I know I said I hate you but I need to borrow your lap."

Pretty much, the whole thing is crap.

SAO is all about putting Kirito over. He can only lose if his opponent cheats, he's always got to be the one who saves the day, he's smarter, faster, stronger than everyone else.

He's also kinder and kawaii~

Man God

Non-Canon Member
To make Asuna a more perfect match for Kirito she needs an arc where she is the main character, lording over the rest of the harem and does nothing wrong. Kirito will of course save her at the end because he is perfect.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I don't know why, but Dragon Ball Super feels like a practical joke to me.
Like the day it premieres, Fuji TV is going to have Akira Toriyama laughing at the audience for 30 minutes.

Moaradin

I never read the manga but I had no issue with the pacing in the original Dragon Ball. I'm sure there are "filler" but they fit perfectly into the show. The only time it felt off was towards the end when Goku and Chi-Chi go on some quest to find a fan or something.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'd be okay with DBS just being the Kai equivalent for the original DB series
There's already 2 movies that kind of are summarizations of the original DB (Path to Power sums up the first & last major arc along with stuff like Oolong, Yamcha, Roshi, etc. & it was done to celebrate 10 years), but yeah, I wouldn't mind a Kai version of the original series since it's about 150 episodes.

I never read the manga but I had no issue with the pacing in the original Dragon Ball. I'm sure there are "filler" but they fit perfectly into the show. The only time it felt off was towards the end when Goku and Chi-Chi go on some quest to find a fan or something.

It's more the idea of having all of DB edited down to a really tight set of anime series that cover just the original manga content with really good pacing the whole way though.

Obviously in my perfect world we'd get a true HD remake of DB covering the entire story from beginning to end done with an super huge budget that makes everything look awesome.

MikeMyers

The original Dragon Ball is nowhere near as popular as Z, and GT doesn't have any filler on the virtue that it was never adapted from a manga, so I doubt either would get a Kai adaptation.

The original Dragon Ball is nowhere near as popular as Z, and GT doesn't have any filler on the virtue that it was never adapted from a manga, so I doubt either would get a Kai adaptation.

This is Dragon Ball we're talking about though I'm sure Toei will find more ways to milk it for money in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom