• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar15| the smartest anime is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

I always saw KND as kind of a precursor to Adventure Time and Steven Universe
In that it started with a bunch of silly one-off episodes, before diving into multi-episode story arcs and developing its own lore and mythology.

Pretty much along with the 11 minute episodes storytelling AT mastered meant a whole season could be spread out over the course of a year pretty easily without resorting to Disney scheduling (Gravity Faaaaaaaalls!)

I was never a fan but I never hated the show. I always felt it felt like an adult writing for a kids show. It also didn't help they never developed the characters from what I saw either.

In other news, it really saddens me Shirobako has next to no chance to air stateside let alone get a dub.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This is a good one though. Everything is good to great this week except Naruto, which I can't judge because I've actually never seen it before.

Raxus

This is a good one though. Everything is good to great this week except Naruto, which I can't judge because I've actually never seen it before.

Sadly this is going to be the last week of good episodes nearly all around. We are getting AoT and SAO II loitering the block. There are a couple episodes of SAO II I do look forward to ToonamiGAF watching though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
At least the first two episodes of AoT are good. Then the two after he gets eaten. Then the trial. Then the last episodes. About a fourth of the show is watchable!

SAO II like SAO before it is still incredibly entertaining even if it's just for how dumb it can be at times and it's always pretty to watch. Naruto Shippuden is not only dumb but ugly and an even bigger waste of potential as we've seen good Naruto and know the series can be good.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SAO II like SAO before it is still incredibly entertaining even if it's just for how dumb it can be at times and it's always pretty to watch. Naruto Shippuden is not only dumb but ugly and an even bigger waste of potential as we've seen good Naruto and know the series can be good.

It is hilarious that the transition episodes between canon and filler have an argument as the best episodes of Shippuden so far. It's basically that and parts of the Sasori fight.

Shikuden isn't that far off! It's always darkest before the dawn.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
At least the first two episodes of AoT are good. Then the two after he gets eaten. Then the trial. Then the last episodes. About a fourth of the show is watchable!

I mean, are we pretending Attack on Titan is an awful show now?

It's not the greatest, but it's pretty solid.

I feel like it gets a lot of flak because people think it's more popular than it deserves, but come on.

Moaradin

Season 2 is boring, so it won't even make a good hatewatch tbh.

Yup. Gonna be fun watching them
sit in a cave
for like 3 episodes. Though it does get pretty decent for SAO standards towards the end, but it isn't worth the shit the precedes it.

Crocodile

A) Murmurings on the interwebs, in addition to the staff list, suggest a lot of Space Dandy staff will be on One Punch Man. Color me cautiously optimistic.

B) Shirobako and Death Parade end next week :(

C) Sorry to hear you're having troubles cosmic, hopefully everything turns around for the better soon :)

D)
This sure was an eventful week for video game news O_O

Man God

Non-Canon Member

I feel like it gets a lot of flak because people think it's more popular than it deserves, but come on.

There's only 6-7 episodes that I want to see again, that's all I meant by that. It's not awful, in fact it's well made generally. Just don't have much interest in seeing it again. That actually means something as I fucking love watching shit over and over again.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"Guys, we need to move a rock"

*SPENDS ABOUT 3 EPISODES DOING THIS*

It's nowhere near terrible, let alone one of the "worst" shows on Toonami, but it seriously had some moments that dragged. Especially in the first season.

MAYBE I'd rewatch the second season just for some of the sillier/cornier moments.

Crocodile

There are way worse shows than Attack on Titan but one of its major issues is that it has little to no rewatchability. Remember how its reruns at the start of the block contributed to our now truncated Toonami? I could rewatch Bebop, Champloo, Dandy, GITS, DBZ, etc. episodes from now till the end of time. AoT? Not so much.

LOLDSFAN

Nah it's pretty bad. I wanted to slap the protagonist many times.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I feel Titan gets more hate because it's popular, it's not amazing but it's not horrible either.
I think this is part of the reason. The more popular it is, the more your expectations are risen because you think "Oh man, this is gonna be great! It HAS to be if a ton of people like it!", which can work against it.

Crocodile

Well I mean it's a numbers game no than something specifically reactionary no? The more popular something is, the more people have been exposed to it or are interested into/forced to be exposed to it. So the more eyes and ears are on a product, the more it will be both praised and criticized. Like if nobody knows about something nobody will say bad things about it. If a million people have seen X but only a thousand people have seen Y, of course more critical voices will be directed towards X.

There's also the frustrating thing in that popular thing X also gets shielded from criticisms. How often have you seen:

Person A: "X is AMAZING"
Person B: "Actually [insert reasonable list of critiques here]"
Person A: "Nope, you're wrong! Haters gonna hate type!" posts.

I'd say this is also a function of numbers game too.

Well I mean it's a numbers game no than something specifically reactionary no? The more popular something is, the more people have been exposed to it or are interested into/forced to be exposed to it. So the more eyes and ears are on a product, the more it will be both praised and criticized. Like if nobody knows about something nobody will say bad things about it. If a million people have seen X but only a thousand people have seen Y, of course more critical voices will be directed towards X.

There's also the frustrating thing in that popular thing X also gets shielded from criticisms. How often have you seen:

Person A: "X is AMAZING"
Person B: "Actually [insert reasonable list of critiques here]"
Person A: "Nope, you're wrong! Haters gonna hate type!" posts.

I'd say this is also a function of numbers game too.

The problem at least in Titans case is outside of the animation which is bad/lazy most of the time the critiques some people have are things others like about it. People here critiqued the show for how melodramatic it was but other people love it for that fact. Same way that we have some people here in love with Gurren Lagann praising its over the top antics mixed with its slow moments while others think it does it poorly. Critiques can and often are still opinions and of course the more popular something gets the more you'll have people on all ends of the spectrum.

Raxus

i dunno i think aot is pretty thoroughly awful

The last half is MUCH better than the first even if the twist is spoiled. It also doesn't spin its wheels like much of the first half two.

Coincidentally, the less Eren in the episode the better it is.
With the exception of him getting eaten but that is schadenfreude.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
AoT isn't particularly bad. It just commits the greatest sin a show can: it's just plain boring. And a show that was boring initially is going to suffer extra bad from repeated viewings. It's a lot like IGPX in that regard.

But alas, Toonami clearly broke the bank to get it's rights so we'll probably be seeing it over and over for a long time coming.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
AoT isn't particularly bad. It just commits the greatest sin a show can: it's just plain boring. And a show that was boring initially is going to suffer extra bad from repeated viewings. It's a lot like IGPX in that regard.

But alas, Toonami clearly broke the bank to get it's rights so we'll probably be seeing it over and over for a long time coming.

Until Season 2 rolls around, and then they'll break the bank to air that at the same time as it premieres in Japan. Since Funi is doing simultaneous dubs now it's likely going to happen.

Raxus

If season 2 winds up being a simuldub then it could potentially be a disaster like season 1's production if they aren't careful.

It's Jiggly Heaven all over again!

Moaradin

Oh, it's definitely gonna get a simuldub. Funimation is gonna be all up on that shit. Funimation won't have anything to do with the production being a mess. That will depend if Studio WIT gets their shit together this time.

I feel Titan gets more hate because it's popular, it's not amazing but it's not horrible either.
I thought it was good binge watching on Netflix, but the pacing drove me nuts for a once-a-week affair on Toonami.

I also preferred the sub over dub, and actually prefer subbed for the most part these days. Except Bebop and Space Dandy, because they knocked it out of the park with those.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
If season 2 winds up being a simuldub then it could potentially be a disaster like season 1's production if they aren't careful.

It's Jiggly Heaven all over again!

... I'm going to need some context.

Raxus

... I'm going to need some context.

It's a Shirobako joke.

Shirobako%207-%20Jiggly%20Heaven_zpshwsvoikw.gif

It's an anime about making anime and it is pretty great. Last episode airs next week.

Raxus

So I don't give Seda an aneurism from the lewdness, I should get to my point.

When Titan did it's 25(?) episode cour it was riddled with production issues they face in Shirobako. Incomplete frames were aired on TV, TONS of still shots during critical scenes, and even an episode titled 'no more recap episodes' which AoT totally had.

We got the massively fixed blu-ray upon release but I hope for fans of the series the 2nd cour isn't such a shitshow.

Also, Seda.
If you can't deal with that lewdness you may wanna shield your eyes from SAO II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom