• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firsrt of many fuck yea moment

5CvhSBJ.jpg

So weirdly colored. Zoro looks like he got an uneven tan.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The english dub is bad and you should feel bad for liking it.

The same can also be said of other supposed great dubs like Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Bacanno.

daveo42

Banned
Some dubs are actually pretty good and I can definitely get into. Cowboy Bebop is still near the top for me. Black Lagoon and One Piece have been good so far for Toonami.

I'm still a sub man at heart.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You're close to the mark with your description of G Gundam's dub, but not quite there.

It's overacted, true, but that fits the show perfectly. The emotion is there and real and they treat this wacky scenario completely serious. Even most of the bit parts are well done which is not something every great dub can say (Cowboy Bebop is a perfect example of this, some of the extra/bit character work on this show is AWFUL)

MikeMyers

Original Gundam is one of the few I have to watch sub, mainly because way too attached the sub voice actors.

Sailor Moon is another 100% sub only, because that dub is awful.

The rest of them I can go either language.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
MSG is also a trash tier dub. I have no idea what went wrong here when Wing was fine, 08th MS/0080/0083 were acceptable and G Gundam was great.

MSG though...fuck.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The Yu Yu Hakusho dub is perfect.
Speaking of YYH dubs, did you know that Rik Nagel, the guy who voiced Yusuke in Poltergeist Report (i.e the only thing YYH-related that Funimation doesn't have) also did the voice of the main character from Garzey's Wing?

Raxus

Speaking of YYH dubs, did you know that Rik Nagel, the guy who voiced Yusuke in Poltergeist Report (i.e the only thing YYH-related that Funimation doesn't have) also did the voice of the main character from Garzey's Wing?

Anime Abandon did an episode on that. It was hilarious.

Kuwahara.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Kuwahara.

I remember seeing that movie after seeing the show.
I was so confused why they kept saying his name wrong, then I noticed that everyone's voices were wrong.

I wonder if Funimation will ever get the rights to that movie and redub it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

Kuwahara.
Yup, that's how I learned that fact. & watching the Love Hina Spring Movie review made me wonder as well why I got into the manga as a kid (oh right da girls & puberty). Makes me glad I never saw any of the anime adaptations.

Tenumi

Banned
Since we're on the topic of English dubs, I thought I'd like to leave this little fact I found out about Black Lagoon...

A good 70% - 80% of the Black Lagoon English cast does or has done voice work for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Logical, because BL is a Ocean Group dub if I remember correctly, and Ocean Group is based in Canada. MLPFIM's production is mostly in Canada as well, so... yeah, logical.

daveo42

Banned
Yup, that's how I learned that fact. & watching the Love Hina Spring Movie review made me wonder as well why I got into the manga as a kid (oh right da girls & puberty). Makes me glad I never saw any of the anime adaptations.

This just reminds me that I was really into the Love Hina anime when I was in college. Then again I did watch some questionable anime in college, some I'd like to forget.

I tended to avoid dubs in the 2000s that weren't on Toonami to begin with. I am surprised I stomached my way through the original Gundam dub, especially going back and watching the entire series subbed. It's a good thing that dubbing has become much better. Now we just need a larger pool of VAs.

Since we're on the topic of English dubs, I thought I'd like to leave this little fact I found out about Black Lagoon...

A good 70% - 80% of the Black Lagoon English cast does or has done voice work for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Logical, because BL is a Ocean Group dub if I remember correctly, and Ocean Group is based in Canada. MLPFIM's production is mostly in Canada as well, so... yeah, logical.

Yep Light/Rock's va got his start doing a voice in mlp from an interview on the deathnote dvd

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If you're going to watch one classic Harem show, watch the original Tenchi Muyo.

If you're going to watch two classic Harem shows though Love Hina is actually pretty interesting. It's the major trend setter in the genre though.

MikeMyers

YYH dub was mostly good for the dialogue changes, but the voices were good too.

Can't say if I've ever seen the original Gundam dub. The original version is too nostalgic for me. Interestingly, its fun to see what others shows the VAs were in.

• Amuro Ray was Pegasus Seiya in Saint Seiya, Tuxedo Mask in Sailor Moon, and Yamcha in Dragon Ball.
  • Bright Noa was Dragon Shiryū in Saint Seiya, Tatewaki Kuno in Ranma 1/2, and Tenshinhan in Dragon Ball.
  • Kai Shieden was Ataru Moroboshi in Urusei Yatsura, Hawks Eye in Sailor Moon, and Piccolo in Dragon Ball.

If you're going to watch one classic Harem show, watch the original Tenchi Muyo.

If you're going to watch two classic Harem shows though Love Hina is actually pretty interesting. It's the major trend setter in the genre though.

Tenchi Universe > the OVAs

comeatmebro

watch the OVAs still. well, the first two. not the third one.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Universe has Kiyone and superior Ryoko seemingly triumphing over the rest of the cast.

Tenchi OVA has insanely detailed animation for when it was done (pretty much the only better looking things from that era are Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and some of the Ghibli films) and breasts.

Universe has Kiyone and superior Ryoko seemingly triumphing over the rest of the cast.

Tenchi OVA has insanely detailed animation for when it was done (pretty much the only better looking things from that era are Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and some of the Ghibli films) and breasts.

i always thought that the OVAs seem incredibly rushed whenever they decide to have a plot about midway through, so that's why i prefer Universe.

they also significantly tone down how sorta gross Tenchi's relationships with these girls are if you think about it

tumblr_n582h1R6Jl1rvb8cmo1_1280.jpg

Toonami Tumblr said:
Sometimes, you have an amazing day that reminds you why you got into working in TV in the first place. Meet Matt E (center, yellow shirt), a lifelong Toonami fan and a great dude. Matt swung by today and met with the Toonami staff, watched some stuff being edited, helped direct Mr. Steve Blum and Mrs. Dana Swanson for this week’s Toonami open, and checked out this coming Saturday’s episode of Attack on Titan. Thanks for coming by, Matt. It was so great to spend the day with you and we hope you like the goodies we gave ya (and make everybody else jealous)! Thanks to the Make-A-Wish Foundation for hooking us up, we had an absolute blast!

http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/85053535168/sometimes-you-have-an-amazing-day-that-reminds#_=_

Man God

Non-Canon Member
By far the raciest thing on DBZ. Bulma in her underwear on the spaceship is the only thing remotely close.

DB has far more fanservice throughout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom