• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would sometimes stay for double inuyasha at least when i didn't have classes or something to deal with the following monday. Can't deal with 5-6 toonami anymore, i'm lucky to make it to Jack half the time now.

Toonami had literally less than half the content it does now back then and for a long time. I have no idea what anyone talked about during the repeats.

I don't even know how you guys stayed up to watch repeats, the only shows I'd potentially want to catch twice on a first time viewing experience would be a few of the finale episodes of Big O S2 and FLCL.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I like Clone Wars and SBT is ok for the most part (BEST EPISODE THIS WEEK, EVERYBODY STAY UP!, I REPEAT, EVERYBODY STAY UP) but an hour of Inuyasha was perfect to end the night.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't even know how you guys stayed up to watch repeats, the only shows I'd potentially want to catch twice on a first time viewing experience would be a few of the finale episodes of Big O S2 and FLCL.

ASA trained me long ago to watch anime twice in one night. It's probably why I have all of GITS memorized.

Man SBT really doesn't do much for me, I want to like it but it can get so bogged down in stupid drama with Elana that it kills it for me, especially at 5:30 AM

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Gotta complete the line, Bass.

No wonder why it was canceled.

Some people really enjoy the second half though. I think the end of Saturday's episode (everyone watch it) is the peak of the series.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Let's take bets on what replaces it as I really don't see them running it again right away, though that is a safe enough bet.

Good choices are:

DBZ Kai with a lineup reshuffle.
Outlaw Star, been mentioned in the last few Q+A's.
Inuyasha, FINAL ACT, brought to Toonami
Trigun/Cowboy Bebop, both always threats
YYH, airs on Funimation Channel, has a newish Blu Ray release.
GitS:SAC:2nd GIG
Young Justice

Almost of all those would be a lineup reshuffle instead of just going in raw at 5:30.

Let's take bets on what replaces it as I really don't see them running it again right away, though that is a safe enough bet.

Good choices are:

DBZ Kai with a lineup reshuffle.
Outlaw Star, been mentioned in the last few Q+A's.
Inuyasha, FINAL ACT, brought to Toonami
Trigun/Cowboy Bebop, both always threats
YYH, airs on Funimation Channel, has a newish Blu Ray release.
GitS:SAC:2nd GIG
Young Justice

Almost of all those would be a lineup reshuffle instead of just going in raw at 5:30.

Drop YYH, add Fairy Tail but other then that I agree with your guesses

Not as confident on Young Justice as you are but if we got Beware the Batman it's possible

Wouldnt mind a reshuffling, I will say I would watch any or all of those shows more right now than beware the batman , clone wars, SBT or FMA for the millionth time (I love it but other than some choice episodes I just can't) .

Man God

Non-Canon Member
YJ is a lot better than BtB and it's pretty much assured that they have very similar deals when it comes to airing rights. It's also a natural fit with the Toonami audience, who would devour it.

EDIT:BTB will be a fun group watch because of how absurd it is. Hey let's make an ugly ass cg show...but since we don't have a movie to promote lets only let them use z tier batman villains that literally only the most diehard fans have heard of. I mean I've read a ton of batman yet when I heard friends talking about it I went who? What? I'm excited!

daveo42

Banned
I'll have to check what my first post was here tomorrow. On mobile and too lazy to try and look for it on my phone.

Deadman Wonderland was a pretty messed up manga, but I guess you should expect that when people's powers are literally manipulating your own blood to kill other people.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The reason why I semi expect YYH to one day make it is that TOONAMI has sort of a vindication edge to it. There's a metric fuck ton of stuff that was edited wrong, aired at the wrong time, or died a death on ASA back when it had no cohesion as a block. DRRR! and Code Geass would do so much better today it's not even funny. YYH's Blu Ray edit is amazing and new enough where Funimation would still like to push it but old enough to air on their own network and therefore is probably a real bargain to get tv rights for.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The reason why I semi expect YYH to one day make it is that TOONAMI has sort of a vindication edge to it. There's a metric fuck ton of stuff that was edited wrong, aired at the wrong time, or died a death on ASA back when it had no cohesion as a block. DRRR! and Code Geass would do so much better today it's not even funny. YYH's Blu Ray edit is amazing and new enough where Funimation would still like to push it but old enough to air on their own network and therefore is probably a real bargain to get tv rights for.

Maybe it can replace Bleach. That would be too much to ask though wouldn't it?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
FMP? Fumoffu and G Gundam are the obvious replacements for Bleach. GTO after they finish, TTGL after that. Kill La Kill for 2016.

I'd love to hate watch Gundam SEED DESTINY with everyone in this thread. That would have been incredible. Also never aired on TOONAMI in any form, only aired in Canada.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Last post of the night I think but it's insane how many great Bandai of America shows weren't picked up by anyone. Sure the Gundam thing can be explained by the ridiculous expectations of the license holders but there's a ton of money in other great dubs that no one bid on at all.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
FMP? Fumoffu and G Gundam are the obvious replacements for Bleach. GTO after they finish, TTGL after that. Kill La Kill for 2016.

I'd love to hate watch Gundam SEED DESTINY with everyone in this thread. That would have been incredible. Also never aired on TOONAMI in any form, only aired in Canada.

Oh man, FMP or G Gundam would be amazing.

LOLDSFAN

Disney XD to Run Doraemon Anime in U.S. This Summer

The financial news source Nikkei reported on Friday that the American media conglomerate Walt Disney will begin running the quintessential Japanese anime Doraemon on television throughout the United States this summer. 44 years after the original manga about a robotic cat from the future debuted, the anime has already aired in 35 countries and territories in Southeast Asia and elsewhere. However, this will be the first television showing of Doraemon in the United States.

According to Nikkei, Disney XD, a children's channel available in 78 million households, will run a total of 26 episodes five times a week. Disney has run Japanese programming before such as Naruto Shippūden, but it will use Doraemon as content for elementary school children in the lower grades.

The story and the names of characters and gadgets have been partially changed out of consideration for American culture and customs. Doraemon's owner Nobita is now "Noby," the bully Gian is now "Big G," the flying contraption Takecopter is now the "Hopter," and the magical portal "Dokodemo Door" is now the "Anywhere Door." The recent English edition of the manga also has similar names.

Unlike the unauthorized versions out there, this English version is first being produced so it can run in America with its strict guidelines on violence, depictions of discrimination, and depictions of sexual content. However, it is possible for this version to run in other English-speaking countries later.

Lol Shippuden.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
We won't get anything Gundam until someone steps up to the plate and gets the deal in place.

Even then I'd bet on a Wing Blu Ray remaster being the only thing that airs. Build Fighter or Unicorn could also work, I guess.

We came this close to getting Turn A dubbed, which could have worked! This thread would have loved it!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That's because it was the only good one.

It's the best, but not the only good one.

Wing, 00, SEED, 08th MS, 0080 (the best fucking christmas anime ever) all have their merits.

Build Fighters is it's spiritual successor and is rad as fuck.

Note: I would have a heart attack if Toonami announced it was running G Gundam. At the very least shout so loud I'd lose my voice for a day. Likely faint and have a concussion on my desk.

In fact as soon as I'm done with my Anime catch up (DMWL, Samurai Seven, Tenchi Muyo GXP, Kill la Kill) I'm going to rewatch G Gundam.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I actually want to watch gundam unicorn(I believe that's what that's called) purely based on the soundtrack.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I actually want to watch gundam unicorn(I believe that's what that's called) purely based on the soundtrack.

Did Swanno do that one?

I remember when Nintendo announced X and went, oh this nobody is doing the soundtrack and ever since then he's done everything. He's basically the Jennifer Lawrence of anime composers.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
My first Toonami post.

I actually watched for a week or two back when Toonami first restarted, and then I stopped.

I think I lost interest or maybe Casshern Sins bummed me out or something. I don't recall. Didn't come back until recently.

Although if we're for real, the FIRST Toonami thread was on that April Fools Day where they brought everything back as a joke, including the last episode of DBZ Cell saga and that episode of Gundam Wing where Heero blows himself up.

Man that was an amazing night that I had to miss a lot of cause I was at a convention . A driver was in my room and had to drive for multiple hrs the next morning. So I could watch all night and ugh. I'm just glad it came back for real even if it's different.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Htown said:
In theory they could put Kai up there and people would be interested, I think.

They'll come running.

PWHlSde.gif

MikeMyers

Ah Piccolo, the man who is tied with Krillin for most deaths in the series. Daimao is my vote for best villain in the series.

Anyway, clearly when Symbiotic Titan finishes, Toonami will replace it with Final Act Bleach reruns.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Did Swanno do that one?

I remember when Nintendo announced X and went, oh this nobody is doing the soundtrack and ever since then he's done everything. He's basically the Jennifer Lawrence of anime composers.

Yes, and he actually did alot of stuff before X was announced, most notably attack on titans which was airing at the time of the announcement I believe.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yes, and he actually did alot of stuff before X was announced, most notably attack on titans which was airing at the time of the announcement I believe.

after as X was announced in January. Kill la Kill and AOT are after that. He did Gundam Unicorn and Blue Exorcist before then though!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Can't sleep so I beat my seventh game of the project: Professor Layton and the Last Specter. Well, beat in the sense that I ignored the eight million hour juggernaut that is London Life but I got all the puzzles solved.

The DSi XL takes a break as the new Thursday game is...Layton 5! Then back to DS games with:

Ghost Trick
Final Fantasy III
Radiant Historia
Four Warriors of Light
The newly added MMZ collection
and I think I'll finish off my collection by finally beating Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.

Also the excitement of the Gen 3 remakes has rekindled my love of Pokémon so I've devised a new weekend plan. Friday-Sunday is now one uber day and the game list is as follows.

Pokémon Y
EO Untold
Rune Factory 4

So the list right now is as follows:

Code:
MONDAY: Luigi's Mansion 2, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, Warioland 2,3,4
TUESDAY: SMT:Soul Hackers, SMT:Devil Summoner, Project X Zone,  Yumi's Odd Odyssey, Unchained Blades.
WEDNESDAY: Tales of the Abyss, Adventure Time, KH:DDD, Style Savvy Trendsetters, Heroes of Ruin, Harvest Moon:ANB
THURSDAY:Ghost Trick, Final Fantasy III, Radiant Historia,Four Warriors of Light, MMZ collection
WEEKEND: Pokémon Y, EO Untold, Rune Factory 4

I should really keep up with this thread more often during the week.

Won't be here this Saturday, got stuff to do early in the morning.

Edit: Wish I was around for Dead man Wonderland. It sounds amazing.

Double Edit: only have been outside the US once, Canada. I was born there so......
Hoping to go to Japan or South Korea one day. maybe Australia too?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Ugh, I just counted how many games that is...

I can still probably get it done by the end of the year but holy crap.

This is ignoring the rest of my VC games...which is a lot, a couple of other eshop titles on the 3DS, and quite a few games of all stripes on the Wii U...plus X, Bayonetta 2, Smash Brothers on two systems, Mario Kart 8, anything else Nintendo springs, this month of MM VC games...Gen 3 Pokémon remakes, whatever else ends up on the 3DS...and that's just Nintendo systems.

Thankfully my 360 backlog is zero and my PS3 backlog is around six or seven games....all of which are long ass RPGS...

FAKE EDIT: Fuck I never counted the Vita. A bunch of them are cross play with PS3 but that still leaves Danganronpa, it's sequel and Shinovi Versus later this fall.

2015 will probably be a very slow year for WII U and 3DS though...but then again MH4...I'm going to clear out the majority of my backlog in these two years and then wind down my gaming to just must have newer games. I've already cut bait with my PS2 backlog and a couple of DS/GBA games I just chose to ignore.

Thank god Capcom put Phoenix Wright and Ghost Trick on iOS, otherwise I would never have gotten around to playing them. Maybe I'll jump the gun and just buy SMT 1 as well. I'm sitting on the fan translation trying to find the opportune time to dedicate to it. Having it on my phone would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom