• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amikami

Banned
Eh. I don't mind a DBZ movie. I haven't seen them in a while. But I hope this doesn't give DBZ a better chance at toonami because I'd rather not. DB, sure, but DBZ, naw.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Maybe the next movie after DBZ will be another Evangelion movie.

END OF EVANGELION UNCUT MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

daveo42

Banned
I'd be down with Eva on Toonami, including the movies.

Kai seems like the best bet if CN ever gets the rights back.

MikeMyers

Cooler's Revenge is a cool film, but Dead Zone is the best one in my opinion. The Ocean Dub of the latter is really good, keeps the original music and no damn Disturbed songs. :p

Has anyone been reading the new Toriyama interviews? Dude's been trolling like crazy. He just comes up with random shit like DBZ is best when you don't think about it (basically admitting he thinks DBZ sucks himself), Dr. Gero is Android 16's dad, Tao Pai Pai beat up Mr. Satan, and Bibidi didn't make Buu. Japanese George Lucas confirmed.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Cooler's Revenge is a cool film, but Dead Zone is the best one in my opinion. The Ocean Dub of the latter is really good, keeps the original music and no damn Disturbed songs. :p

Has anyone been reading the new Toriyama interviews? Dude's been trolling like crazy. He just comes up with random shit like DBZ is best when you don't think about it (basically admitting he thinks DBZ sucks himself), Dr. Gero is Android 16's dad, Tao Pai Pai beat up Mr. Satan, and Bibidi didn't make Buu. Japanese George Lucas confirmed.

Noo, that's still Yoshio Sakamoto (at least when it comes to Metroid).
I'm pretty sure Toriyama is joking with most of that.

MikeMyers

Noo, that's still Yoshio Sakamoto (at least when it comes to Metroid).
I'm pretty sure Toriyama is joking with most of that.

Okay, maybe post-Freeza Toriyama is Japanese Michael Bay? They both claim that they''d be happy if you turn your brain off when you watch their stuff,

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sad thing is DBZ is actually fairly logically consistent, it's just that Toriyama has forgotten so much.

BatDan

Sad thing is DBZ is actually fairly logically consistent, it's just that Toriyama has forgotten so much.

Who's Launch?

I recall an interview with both Toriyama and Oda, Toriyama claims he didn't remember Launch and Oda had to remind him that she was a main character at one point. The man who created One Piece remembers more about Dragon Ball than the man who created Dragon Ball.
Then again, Oda NEVER forgets.

MikeMyers

Who's Launch?

I recall an interview with both Toriyama and Oda, Toriyama claims he didn't remember Launch and Oda had to remind him that she was a main character at one point. The man who created One Piece remembers more about Dragon Ball than the man who created Dragon Ball.
Then again, Oda NEVER forgets.

That interview was about Tao Pai Pai, not Lunch. Neither Tao or Lunch are main characters anyway.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Launch is extremely memorable as well, no excuse there.

Forgetting that SSJ2 has lightning and SSJ1 doesn't...not a big deal in hindsight.

MikeMyers

He didn't forget Lunch, she's right here:

1044150_10200276294729735_1034321639_n.jpg

Toriyama: Taopaipai...? You're getting to some of the less important charactrers.

Oda: What!? Taopaipai is a HUGE major character!

Toriyama: The guy with the braid?

Oda: Yeah yeah. The assassin. The guy that throws a pillar into the sky and rides it himself.

He didn't forget about Pai Pai, just said he wasn't a main character.

He did forget about Chaozu and Yajirobe, although that might be because he doesn't really like Yajirobe much.

BatDan

He didn't forget Lunch, she's right here:

1044150_10200276294729735_1034321639_n.jpg

He didn't forget about Pai Pai, just said he wasn't a main character.

He did forget about Chaozu and Yajirobe, although that might be because he doesn't really like Yajirobe much.

I see... I guess I'm the forgetful one.
To be fair, Yajirobe sucks so I can't blame him.

Seda

Levi sounds - honestly - totally fine to me, as someone who isn't familiar with the Japanese performance. It's Kirito and Armin who I'm iffy with based on the clips, like they're trying to sound too young or something.

The thread will have lots of complaints about the dub no matter what it is during the initial episode. Deadman Wonderland, One Piece, Sword Art, Space Dandy all had an inordinate amount of that on their 'premiere' episodes and Attack on Titan will be no different. It tends to die after after a few episodes though.

Levi sounds - honestly - totally fine to me, as someone who isn't familiar with the Japanese performance. It's Kirito and Armin who I'm iffy with based on the clips, like they're trying to sound too young or something.

The thread will have lots of complaints about the dub no matter what it is during the initial episode. Deadman Wonderland, One Piece, Sword Art, Space Dandy all had an inordinate amount of that on their 'premiere' episodes and Attack on Titan will be no different. It tends to die after after a few episodes though.

hold up, who was hating on Deadman dub when it first aired? I WANT NAMES

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well, to be fair, Greg Ayres has a pretty unique voice that's not very 'cool', so it's easy to hate on.
All I could think of when I first heard it was "WTF, is that Negi from Negima? Well that's weird."

I recall saying this in a previous OT, but he's got one of those voices where while it's unique, it's TOO unique, so you have to be real careful on how you use it/who you give it to.

Seda

All I could think of when I first heard it was "WTF, is that Negi from Negima? Well that's weird."

I recall saying this in a previous OT, but he's got one of those voices where while it's unique, it's TOO unique, so you have to be real careful on how you use it/who you give it to.

There're a number of voice actors that are similar in that regard. Michelle Ruff is one. She has very little range, but can knock a performance out-of-the-park if cast well.

Seda

Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama has a couple Q&A's published in Japan today. There's a "Twel-Buu Mysteries" in Saikyō Jump, and there's bonus material in volumes 4-6 of the new color editions of the Cell arc. What's really grabbed the attention of Japanese fans is that he's revealed the names of Androids No. 17 and 18.

No. 17 is Lapis and No. 18 is Lazuli.

Toriyama also revealed that after the Cell arc No. 17 becomes a park ranger at a nature preserve. He's well suited to the work and shows no mercy to poachers! In this happy ending, he's well paid and married to a zoologist with two adopted children.

From Crunchyroll, linked omitted because of a scan.

MikeMyers

I don't remember anyone complaining about those dubs, although I wasn't here for DW debut.

for what it's worth, i read a review that said Papenbrook was pretty unconvincing as a kid but when he grows up he's totally fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom