• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know how the trailer made it look like a super grounded, gritty movie more like a disaster movie than a cartoon? Without spoiling anything, none of that is present. There is no need for any of the characters in the movie- there really isn't a plot- just a series of scenes where things happen for no real reason. The main character of the movie is built up to be special, but
he never actually does anything!

The monster fighting, when the film decides to show it (they LOVE cutting away to pointless scenes that have no bearing on the plot as soon as monsters encounter each other for the most part), is spectacular, without any use of shakey cam and awesome sound. I would recommend if you plan on seeing this to show up about 90 minutes after the starting time so you miss most of the really bad stuff, and only get the cool action scenes.

Is it Godzilla 98 bad? No, but it isn't much better. It fails to be "scary", it fails to be "fun", it just... is.

it did annoy me a little bit that this is not really a disaster movie so much as just a grimmer, more grounded take on "Godzilla saves the earth", completely at odds with the marketing. i disagree that there's no plot and generally liked the whole thing, though in fairness if i had to watch it again i'd probably skip through most of the human drama (which wasn't bad, just serviceable.) but that's also pretty much every Godzilla movie ever made.

i will say your comments about the main character are factually untrue, however. (legitimate spoilers ahead)
the guy blows up the eggs and sets boat out to sea so the bomb doesn't explode in the city. you could make an argument about informing the military about echolocation, too, but i won't count that. and it actually bothers me that he does this. i wanted him to NOT be special, to just be an observer basically. when you make him the hero, that destroys the audience connection that also lets you suspend your disbelief that he's made it through all of this.

also i can't take any Pacific Rim hate seriously because it's always from the people who pretty much feel the need to equate not liking a movie to getting cancer.

MikeMyers

Ranma will have to wait.

BnyySf1CMAE84ox.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Viz is a very good choice for dubbing it. Might have preferred funimation but whatever.

Sailor Moon Uncut would be great on Toonami and it would buy them time for Crystal.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I like how they took a cheap shot at FUNi too.

"Uncropped Blurays"

It's a legit shot.

Funimation DVDs get cheaper quicker and they are quicker and understand that Americans like to have dubbed stuff streaming.

ybHZp8N.jpg

EDIT: They're going to use the original names in the dub? Ugh. I much prefer the dub names, it's way less confusing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm really surprised they are redubbing the entire old series.

Really? I've been waiting for someone to pick them up and do it for years. It's a no brainer. The dub is heavily edited to the point of missing episodes and isn't consistent at all in English due to being dropped and picked up again after becoming super popular.

Moaradin

I'm guessing they will use the same cast for the new sailor moon series as well? I'm glad it's getting released on blu-ray and all, but I can't remember the last time a Viz dub impressed me. I hope it's good.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm guessing they will use the same cast for the new sailor moon series as well? I'm glad it's getting released on blu-ray and all, but I can't remember the last time a Viz dub impressed me. I hope it's good.

Good Viz dubs, eh?

Naruto, Naruto:Shippuden, Death Note, Inuyasha.

Tenumi

Banned
Really? I've been waiting for someone to pick them up and do it for years. It's a no brainer. The dub is heavily edited to the point of missing episodes and isn't consistent at all in English due to being dropped and picked up again after becoming super popular.

Basically, yeah. While I love the old dub as a so-bad-its-good dub, whatever they create will be vastly superior. Only thing I'll really be missing is some of the old music. Name changes are a thing of the past, mostly. Makes sense to finally create a dub that's as accurate as possible.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The Japanese names are too confusing. Too many M's and U's.

EDIT: This just means more money for Hiatus X Hiatus to continue.

Nah it's Sunday. You missed Toonami. :p
Nooooo!

@VIZMedia: #sailormoon deets: This Sailor Moon release will have a new English dub cast blessed by the creator herself.

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/467454864478728192
Sailor Moon fans gonna riot.

The Japanese names are too confusing. Too many M's and U's.

EDIT: This just means more money for Hiatus X Hiatus to continue.

You monster. Don't you put that evil on us.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Naruto dub doesn't get decent until towards the end and around the time Shippuden comes along. Early Naruto is rough.

Naruto's dub gets good after the first set was done, so...right about where they are on TOONAMI now.

Bleach on the other hand starts pretty good and slowly gets worse and worse.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think people hated Pacific Rim, just no one saw it. I can't fathom who greenlit that film with that budget- anyone with a brain knew that most people would not want to see it.

Pacific Rim more than doubled its budget at the box office and has done very well with home video and merchandise on top of that.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
A remastered and uncut Sailor Moon is such a good fit for TOONAMI. The only potential hurdle I can think of is wanting to air CRYSTAL as well. There's an entire undubbed season of the original show out there (that sucks...but still, it's completely fresh!)

I'd go as far to say it's a mortal lock for something of Sailor Moon to end up on Toonami in the next three years or so.

Troll? Why, whatever do you mean?!

On the real, though, Sailor Moon is a bad show. I remember coming home after school to watch Toonami, or whatever that was on CN in the afternoon, and seeing this show. A bunch of skinny, mostly ugly chicks in school uniforms fighting crime/evil or whatever it was they did. And Sailor Moon herself was the worst one. Blue chick and dark hair chick (Mars?) were much better. Oh, and homie wearing the mask and tuxedo sucked.

MikeMyers

You're entitled to your opinion, but making judgement on the dub is just terrible. That's like basing your opinion on One Piece by the 4kids dub.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You're entitled to your opinion, but making judgement on the dub is just terrible. That's like basing your opinion on One Piece by the 4kids dub.

Nah the dub is much closer in spirit than the 4kids dub which literally attempted to turn a PG-13 show into a G show.

Sailor Moon's dub has some odd content edits here and there and a few major ones involving certain characters but on the whole is treated much better than 4kids One Piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom