• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May15| Wasting Saturday nights for three years running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Guys

If you count pre-orders as purchases made today, I just went over $100 today on Amiibo

Do I have a problem?

Lack of Club Nintendo has cut down significantly my purchase Nintendo games at full price just for codes lust while they sit on my digital shelf. Still haven't bought STEAM or Kirby because of this, and I now have a backlog of 3 Atlus games to buy, which will be 5 by the end of the year.

Unfortunately I've replaced these purchases with new hardware (N3DS XL, new office pc, a ton of different headphones) and of course, Amiibos. Splatoon is too good and I have those amiibos on the way.

Moaradin

I haven't read the manga and even I could tell how rushed and shitty it was. I didn't even bother with the second season but I heard that was even worse.

It has lots of dumb teenage angst, so I could see Toonami picking it up.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The most hilarious thing about Fairy Tail on TOONAMI is that despite being the most vocal proponent of the idea I think it's time has past. It hasn't been mentioned in over a year on the Q+A and only really fit as the last premiere on the 6/6.5 hour block. DBZ, Naruto, One Piece have the long shows on lock, plus a Viz premiere or two and an Aniplex premiere or two.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Guys

If you count pre-orders as purchases made today, I just went over $100 today on Amiibo

Do I have a problem?

Maybe
Then I would have the same problem too.

In stores I bought Charizard, Ness and Silver Mario. I just ordered Wario off Amazon.
Pre-orders for Jigglypuff and the Splatoon 3-pack have been shipped.
I am so glad that the next big drop isn't until September.

Grexeno

There is one way Fairy Tail makes sense on the block: knocking off One Piece.

I assure everyone here Fairy Tail would get better ratings than One Piece in any timeslot.

daveo42

Banned
I haven't read the manga and even I could tell how rushed and shitty it was. I didn't even bother with the second season but I heard that was even worse.

What's funny is that they had the time to make a good show with the source material, but I guess they didn't have the budget? A bunch of decisions made no sense in the first season with what they focused on and what they cut. Especially with what they cut for the sake of getting to the end faster.

The first 12 episodes are okay, but the back half is unwatchable.

Regiruler

So a camp system I applied to be an instructor for replied back and I have an interview on monday.

This is infinitely further than I've gotten with any other application. I don't know what to feel.

Squishy3

There is one way Fairy Tail makes sense on the block: knocking off One Piece.

I assure everyone here Fairy Tail would get better ratings than One Piece in any timeslot.
Which is ridiculous because Fairy Tail is kind of bad.

Has the Toonami panel happened already and we got our hopes and dreams of Jojo's crushed?

LOLDSFAN

t1433025000z1.png

Crocodile

Can't wait to read the Fairy Tail meltdowns with a smirk on my face

From what little I saw of the show, it wasn't offensively bad, just.........not good. I want shows on Toonami that make me go "fuck yes!" not "meh" or "UUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHHH!". Toonami has more than enough of the later two (IMO of course).

is there any realistic chance at a gundam pick up?

Gundam Build Fighters would be great but it isn't dubbed. I don't think any recent Gundam show has gotten a dub to my knowledge. The most recent I can think of is Gundam 00 which starts out great but eventually gets pretty fucking stupid. Seed and Destiny suck. Moving further back we get Wing and G Gundam but I dunno if Toonami wants such old shows on right now? What other non-OVA Gundam stuff has gotten a dub?

DeMarco did say Akame ga Kill would be the first Sentai show they grabbed if that relationship were to be formed.

Ugh, that show has like one or two bright spots but overall isn't good :/

Man God

Non-Canon Member
AS/TOONAMI has aired

Wing (The only bonafide hit)
08th MS Team (Midnight Run)
0080: A War in the Pocket (Midnight Run)
0083:Stardust Memory (ASA's Saturday Anime only block)
Mobile Suit Gundam (Canceled during its run during 2001 on Afternoon TOONAMI)
SD Gundam (Afternoon TOONAMI)
G Gundam (Afternoon TOONAMI)
SEED (Saturday Toonami, finished it's run on a friday night anime block with other winners like Legend of the Twilight Bracelet)

Everything after 0083 did not do well besides possibly G Gundam, which reached a sort of cult status here. SEED, the show that blew up in Japan, did particularly badly over here and they never even aired SEED Destiny in the US (It was aired in Canada)

Literally the only dubbed Gundam products they could get away with airing right now are 00, which aired to completion on Sci Fi's Animonday, or the Gundam Unicron dub, which might work if they want to get back into OVAs. Everything else does not have a dub or is too old.

I honestly believe we won't see any Gundam on TOONAMI until Gundam Wing gets an HD remaster.

Grexeno

Based on that Sentai hint, I think we're locked for Akame ga Kill.

Or even better, Log Horizon.
GliYqoE.png
I remind you that DeMarco has already said that Akame ga Kill would be the first Sentai show they grab, so unless we're getting multiple Sentai shows at once, Log Horizon will for sure NOT be announced tomorrow.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'd rather have SEED, SEED Destiny, or well, anything but Age over OO and OO season 2, which is particularly awful.

Crocodile

The worst part of Akame ga Kill is how it tries to mix "OW DE EDGE" with animu humor "OH NOES YOU TOUCHED MY BOOB!". Sorry whoever worte AgK, you can't have it both ways :/

This is basically the case with almost every possible acquisition at this point.

Lord Dio's swagger will save us. Believe!

BNCu1H9.gif

GATCHAMAN

They didn't license the director's cut of the final episode. I imagine a lot of people wold be upset with how the normal version of the ending goes. I figure Hajime might be a turn off for some people too (even though she's secretly the smartest person in the show).

Crocodile

We still have to get Phantom Blood + Battle Tendency on the block and have them not bomb before we get Stardust Crusaders

At least Dio is in one of those parts too :p

We'll see how things go but I don't think the show is that hard a sell. Should be easy to make good promos for it at least.

Part II is more consistent anyway :p

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Seriously what in the fuck is up with Hunter x Hunter?

1. Someone weird has the rights and is taking their damn time with them.

2. No one really has the rights to the dub and Netflix just licensed the sub the same way Crunchyroll did.

3. TOONAMI is dubbing it in house.

You know we could be getting a movie night announcement of DBZ Battle of Gods, thats a big deal and Funi show that people would get excited about.

And yeah hoping for Akame Ga Kill on the block, its ending is gecko shitty filler but at least the first 18ish are a great adaptation of the manga

daveo42

Banned
July 4th falls on a Saturday this year, meaning we'll probably get a movie night or a marathon of sorts. Did we get something similar last year as well?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
stop saying positive things about Aizen, it makes me want to go back and watch more Bleach

Man God

Non-Canon Member
June 4th is next Thursday.

The 4th of July is a Saturday. July is the month that typically follows June. The fourth day of the month is a holiday in the US of some import, celebrating the signing of the Declaration of Independence and therefore the formation of the United States. Typically associated with fireworks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom