• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May15| Wasting Saturday nights for three years running

Status
Not open for further replies.
iC5nWqx.jpg

And how old was she? Asking that question in front of a crowd of people is.....yeah.

I want to say early-mid 20s, but I don't have a good eye for these things.

Jintor

Could you post a brief, spoiler free synopsis for each?

Michiko and Hatchin is like... south-american mexican-inspired wander-the-earth get-into-adventures with an tough-as-nails lady and a youngish innocent-ish girl searching for a man who is probably the young kid's dad and the older girl's squeeze.

Akame ga Kill is... to be honest I forgot, but the basic gist of it is trying to shock you at every turn with how borderline idiotic its 'twists' are.

Oh god the reactions to the Q&A
KuGsj.gif

I need details

It was basically a live action version of the Q&A things they do on Toonami. "Will you air this? Will you air that?" Then one of the geniuses asked if they were gonna do something for the IGPX anniversary not 20 minutes after they had aired the trailer for the IGPX DVD remaster releasing this Fall. It was a shit show, I tell ya. Very few people actually asked good questions

Grexeno

Okay, for comparison, had I been there, I would have asked if they could talk about any shows that they lost out on airing because others grabbed the rights since Toonami came back i.e Escaflowne and Slayers

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Akame ga Kill is... to be honest I forgot, but the basic gist of it is trying to shock you at every turn with how borderline idiotic its 'twists' are.
OH BOY, A NEW SAO TYPE OF SHOW!!

But seriously, I could've sworn others like Bass saw the show & mentioned it would make for an alright watch on Toonami.

Edit: Someone should've asked if getting Akame ga Kill meant Sentai would allow more of their shows to air on Toonami.

Could you post a brief, spoiler free synopsis for each?

Michiko to Hatchin: Brazilian Cinderella story and then cool stuff (though I dropped it at ep 4).

Akame ga Kill: Standard battle shounen with legit cool weapon designs, but far edgier than typical of the genre, complete with ruthless villains that rape/murder/torture/other bad stuff. Some cool fights, but often comes off as too tryhard in its edginess, particularly in the manga that has an even more ruthless group complete with a
clown child rapist/murderer
. Despite that, I like it.

Fans of Deadman Wonderland may enjoy AkG.

It was basically a live action version of the Q&A things they do on Toonami. "Will you air this? Will you air that?" Then one of the geniuses asked if they were gonna do something for the IGPX anniversary not 20 minutes after they had aired the trailer for the IGPX DVD remaster releasing this Fall. It was a shit show, I tell ya. Very few people actually asked good questions

Maybe Toonami was a mistake.

LOLDSFAN

Okay, for comparison, had I been there, I would have asked if they could talk about any shows that they lost out on airing because others grabbed the rights since Toonami came back i.e Escaflowne and Slayers

Yeah that's a good one.

Also an update on the top 5 requests like Shard said would have worked too.

OH BOY, A NEW SAO TYPE OF SHOW!!

But seriously, I could've sworn others like Bass saw the show & mentioned it would make for an alright watch on Toonami.

Edit: Someone should've asked if getting Akame ga Kill meant Sentai would allow more of their shows to air on Toonami.

There's some stupidity in AkG, but it doesn't even TOUCH SAO. There's also the fact that it actually has the amount of action it advertises.

I honestly can't even think of any meaningful plot-altering "twists" in Akame ga Kill beyond one in the first episode. It's definitely not something I read/watch it for. Plot-wise, everything is pretty out in the open.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So uh

what does the "ga" in Akame ga Kill stand for exactly?

More specifically than what the others have mentioned, the "ga" is a particle. It's more of a grammatical thing than a word with meaning. It's used mainly to denote the subject of a sentence, among other things. There's a whole bunch of rules as to when it's correct to use wa and when it's correct to use ga, and sometimes both are correct but using one over the other changes the emphasis or meaning of a sentence.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Akame's dub is going to be interesting. Sentai isn't really the best when it comes to acting (the voices themselves can be fine at times), so I really hope everyone doesn't sound bored.

If you like hardcore violence and waifu culture, you'll enjoy Akame ga Kill for the most part.
& Black Lagoon??

If you like hardcore violence and waifu culture, you'll enjoy Akame ga Kill for the most part.

Weird by usual cosplay standards, I guess.

Hmmmm, this is hard. >.<
I guess you'll have to see for yourself. :p
I'll post them tomorrow when my phone isn't dying.

Fun fun day at the convention. Best part actually wasn't the panel, but seeing some old friends and playing awesome games in the arcade.

ckohler

So what announcements did I miss? I just came in during the Q&A.

• Intruder 2 is coming October-ish. Will span 5 weeks. 20-25 minutes of new footage.
  • The Toonami comic is coming in September. It's a prequel story to Intruder 2.
  • Michiko No Hatchen is replacing InuYasha
  • Akame ga Kill, which is a dub premier, will replace Kill la Kill. It's the first Sentai show on Toonami.
  • They are releasing a Toonami App for iOS and Android. Coming this fall same time as Intruder 2. It's designed to function like you are helping TOM broadcast the block. It will get regular updates.
  • An IGPX DVD remaster re-release is being worked on that will include extra footage.
  • They would never air Fist of the North Star

Oh god the reactions to the Q&A
KuGsj.gif

I need details

They start out by saying that they can't promise particular shows. People start dodging the issue by instead "recommending" shows they consider. A couple of idiots ask for Moltar back. Some chick wanted Stephen Universe on the block. Some guy said to the panel that he hates Tom 5 (the current one). Some dude asked if Sarah is single. Several more people asked if their favorite shows could air. They said, "If anyone else asks if we can air a specific show in the future, the answer will be the same. We can't promise anything." THE VERY NEXT FUCKING GUY ASKS anyway.

The only legit questions asked were: Can their streaming app be made to support Chomecast, what are the panels' favorite Toonami shows (both current and all time), one guy asked how he could get his music considered for use on Toonami, and one girl asked if Intruder 2 will have fan participation (it will).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Akame ga Kill

YOU_ARE_SUPER_BAKA_by_SonGoharotto.png

+

68a.jpg

Basically its about a group of assassins who are trying to lead a rebellion against a hilariously over the top corrupt monarchy/dictatorship. It's very........"anime"

Naruto? Either this current filler arc or
Sauce's MO for the rest of the series?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wait, what, they'd never air Fist of the North Star? Is it just because it's too old (which is totally understandable)?

I would love for the '90s animated movie to air. It's a great "turn your brain off & enjoy the violence" movie.

Puruzi

Banned
Puruzi would have gone up there and asked DeMarco NOT to show JoJo
I would have.
At least Gatcha is possible now.
This pleases me.
So like, I wanna be 100% serious right now.

Is there a legit reason as to why you dislike Jojo? Are you just not a fan of how much it gets brought up here? Did you try watching/reading it & it just wasn't something you liked?

Pmuch.

AgK? Saw the first couple of episodes and it was....alright. I hear the manga is way better.
Manga is much better

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well, I would argue that there's multiple parts focusing on different characters with a different setting, but if you watched some of the anime, I can accept that.

I wonder how bad the dub for Akame ga Kill will be
Oh right, dub premiere. Forgot about that. Cool that Toonami gets another dub first.

At least Toonami has a working reationship with Sentai now. Opens up more options in the future.
GIRLS UND PANZER! RIGHT, GUYS!?

Crocodile

& Black Lagoon??

Black Lagoon respects your intelligence and its "edge" is within the realm of reasonability. It's not too different from a Hollywood movie or an HBO series. I'm not sure I'd call it "mature" but its something a normal adult raised on our side of the pacific would enjoy. It's fantasy and over the top but the interactions are still within the realm of how real human beings could interact (kind of). With the characters the show actually takes the time to develop (like Rock, Revy, etc.) there's some actual nuance and character development. It's not thing you would look at and say "that's so Japanese" disparagingly. Akame ga Kill is often edgy for the sake of edgy and mixes that in with some very "anime" tropes and humor. Characters cans be reduced to the "tsundere" or the "quiet one" or etc. The two go together as well as oil and water. I did feel it had a few legit good moments throughout but overall........blech.

At least Toonami has a working reationship with Sentai now. Opens up more options in the future.

The pessimistic part of me (which is most of me) thinks that this is only because Akame ga Kill is popular so the cost relative to the ratings benefit worked out and we probably won't see much else from Sentai. Sort of like how Toonami only really works with Viz when they have something big, like Naruto and InuYasha and Bleach.

Though Parasyte is decently popular so who knows. I think the Log Horizon ship sailed, however.

Black Lagoon respects your intelligence and its "edge" is within the realm of reasonability. It's not too different from a Hollywood movie or an HBO series. I'm not sure I'd call it "mature" but its something a normal adult raised on our side of the pacific would enjoy. It's fantasy and over the top but the interactions are still within the realm of how real human beings could interact (kind of). With the characters the show actually takes the time to develop (like Rock, Revy, etc.) there's some actual nuance and character development. It's not thing you would look at and say "that's so Japanese" disparagingly. Akame ga Kill is often edgy for the sake of edgy and mixes that in with some very "anime" tropes and humor. Characters cans be reduced to the "tsundere" or the "quiet one" or etc. The two go together as well as oil and water. I did feel it had a few legit good moments throughout but overall........blech.

Just as a random comment, I still argue that the Vampire Twins arc in Black Lagoon didn't really work. The show combines over-the-top action/concepts with serious themes, and it usually works out very well because it actually ends up highlighting the serious theme when you surround it with something you'd see in an action movie. But I think with that particular arc, they went too far in both directions and it really threw off the balance the series typically maintains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom