• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May15| Wasting Saturday nights for three years running

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel asleep during Shippuden Zzzzz >:|
zlCfzTT6g8EcayRRya

zlCfzTT6g8EcayRRya

zlCfzTT8jV0FKkX4mC

zlCfzTT84McasKC25d

LATER
Lol Gohan
I love how poorly written poorz wroten is

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
dangit

Fell asleep during Inuyasha last night

how long until they post the episodes on demand?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm surprised I made it considering how boring everything between KLK and One Piece was.

Dragon Ball Z Kai:
Remember, this is a kids show in Japan! Enjoy your neck snaps and punching through bodies.
For manga readers and the original show, the revelation that Freeza destroyed Planet Vegeta was a big deal. They didn't get the Bardock scene in the first episode like Kai did.
Of course, Vegeta still a killing machine.

Kill la Kill:
Crazy JYB is best JYB.
We get another look at the big bad and her plans... and some other things that aren't right.
Senketsu dead?! Uh oh.

Sword Art Online II:
RETCONS! Well... supposedly this happened in the original SAO books but for some reason they decided not to include in the first season. Oops!
Man, Kirito is such a goddamn Sue it's not even funny. First time playing the game, and he gets to the finals of a tournament meant for only the most experience players. With the weapon that nobody uses. You are a hack Kawahara!

Inuyasha: The Final Act:
We've got all our sidequests out of the way, time to enter the final dungeon! Hell, that armored Naraku monster is like something out of an RPG.
Also, vintage Inuyasha clips in the first half. I thought it was going to be a clip show episode, but we were spared.

Don't care for Sleep-uden...

One Piece:
The bandana is on! This is not a drill!
Kaku is such a fun villain. Impressive how he managed to figure out his bizarre body in such a short time. PASTA MACHINE!

ckohler

This week’s theme was JYB. Even with Bleach long over, the Bosch continues to dominate Toonami. On to the reviews!

Dragon Ball Z: Kai - Nothing quite like child death to show how villainous your villains are. Even though he can be a bit cowardly, Krillin really has a lot of good strategies and can keep a level head during battle. Using that kai-o-ken move to blind Dodoria worked better than I expected. After an unnecessary but brief Bulma bath scene we finally got to the real fight. I guess all it took for Vegeta to learn how to see and hide power levels was seeing Goku do it. Uhhh… okay. Whatever. Destroying the Sayian homeworld at least gives both Vegeta and Goku more reason to fight Freeza and I’m looking forward to that. Another decent episode but nothing too great. Rating: Lost Cargo

Kill la Kill - BassForever said, “One of the weaker KLK episodes, saved mostly because JYB and Sheh are fucking fantastic in their roles.” and I would agree with that. I liked the stuff with Mako and her family too but this episode always feels a bit like filler to me. If it weren’t for that final scene where Senketsu gets destroyed, not much really happens aside from the Raid Trip leaving campus. It’s not a terrible episode but it wasn’t great either. I will admit that I enjoyed it more with the improved localization and dub. Rating: La vie est drole

Sword Art Online II - I honestly didn’t mind the flashback to a scene that never happened in the first series. I’m even willing to buy into Kirito having PTSD over killing those people in SAO. In fact, I’d be more surprised if everyone who was stuck inside that MMO of death for years wasn’t more messed up in the head. I wonder if Sinon knows her buttcrack is showing on her avatar because it is. “BOB” is such a ridiculous name I can only assume it sounded cooler to Japanese viewers. Most of the episode was bleh but that final HAX showdown and “embrace” was so cringeworthy as to be hilarious. The posts being made during that scene were simply glorious and made the pain of watching totally worth it. Ham-fisted bullshit… this is the SAO I remember. A good episode for all the wrong reasons. Rating: Post Traumatic SAO Disorder

InuYasha: The Final Act - The whole beginning with Kagome in modern times felt like a PSA about staying in school. Is it really that hard to get into high school in Japan because they really made a big deal about it. Anyway, I thought it was kinda weird of her family to be all like “stay for dinner” just as their daughter is about go off to a life or death battle. We see Naraku immediately uses the power of the Shikon Jewel to kill a bunch of innocent animals. Goku would not approve! I’m glad the show finally realizes Shippo adds nothing to the combat scenes and leaves him left behind. I also liked that Dark InuYasha is back. It was really, really, REALLY dumb of everyone to just go inside Naraku. I know Rin is in there but they’re just going to get pounded in the Naraku spider dimension or whatever that is. This episode was a huge step up over last week and with only five more to go, I get the impression this battle will really be dragged out. Rating: Giant Enemy Spider

Naruto: Shippuden - As sometimes happens in Shippuden, there was an odd mix of both good and bad animation. I can’t say enough about just how terrible the Leaf Village’s security forces are. For a society made up mostly of ninja warriors, they are just pathetic. It doesn’t help that Tsunade just sits around in her stupid office waiting for shit to get really bad before issuing any orders. By the time she even raises a finger the power has already been shut down and a huge wall surrounds the entire village. Did I say wall? I meant “defense barrier”. Did you get that? It’s a defense barrier. In case you didn’t hear, they’ll repeat “defense barrier” 10 more times. The only person doing less than Tsunade is Naurto who just keeps yelling questions at everyone in his annoying voice. Also, there’s zombies now for some reason. Meh. Rating: Definitely not Choji-liscious

One Piece - I’ve said it a million times but damn if Spandam isn’t a great villain. He never misses an opportunity to ham it up about how awesome he thinks he is while at the same time acting like a douche. What a cocky bastard. One thing I’ve been wondering recently is why hasn’t Robin tried using her devil fruit powers? Is it the handcuffs she’s wearing? I originally thought it was because she *wanted* to be caught but that’s not the case any more. I’m glad we can super count on Franky. I’ve really grown to like the guy but holy shit I love Kaku even more. His hilarious giraffe moves are fantastic! Never again will I underestimate the the power of giraffes. Another great episode! Rating: Pasta Machine!

Overall, this week was kinda weak. Nothing really great stood out to me aside from One Piece. Even with KLK and SAOII bringing the humor (intentional and unintentional, respectively) most of the night was simply passable. Here’s hoping things improve next week.

BatDan

It's the handcuffs.
The government has an endless supply of Sea Prism Stone handcuffs that nullify and weaken Devil Fruit users.

BatDan

I feel the government has possession of most of the world's Sea Prism Stone, or at least they have an area where it's incredibly common. They hoard it as it would be extremely dangerous if it fell in the hands of pirates.
Especially when most of their top-ranking officers are Devil Fruit users.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Why not take the Sea Prism & research its properties? Or make a Navy base out of it so Devil Fruit users can't attack? Or at the very least, a prison?

Or use it to make special weapons/bullets?

BatDan

Spoilers.

Oh, as for weapons. Smoker's Jutte has a Sea Prism Stone tip. So yeah, weapons are a thing.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Or grind the Sea Prism into dust & then spread it so there's the chance the devil users might breath it in causing greater damage? Or use it to coat the Navy ships so they can't land on them?

Or Zoro could coat his sword with it, or Sanji could put it on his shoes so his kicks are more effective, or Usopp could make some balls to shoot from his slingshot thing.

Lunar15

Or grind the Sea Prism into dust & then spread it so there's the chance the devil users might breath it in causing greater damage? Or use it to coat the Navy ships so they can't land on them?

Without going in to spoilers, Sea Prism is used in a lot of things later, closer to where the more powerful pirates are. Look at it as a relatively rare item material that they have to use a lot in later areas of the sea, and can't really expend it much farther out. The story touches a slight bit more on its development a little bit after this arc. Overall point is, only the Navy has access to it.

Still, it's very much a plot device.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Or Zoro could coat his sword with it, or Sanji could put it on his shoes so his kicks are more effective, or Usopp could make some balls to shoot from his slingshot thing.

Indeed, I maintain that the Seasstone is among the biggest writing blunders ever made by Oda.

The problem is pretty much everyone vice admiral or above is a devil fruit user, can't really do something that would debilitate your strongest officers

Jarate

Banned
also, as much as One Piece doesnt want to show this, Sea Prism stone is very expensive and rare, and it's also ludicrously strong. Zoro normally wouldve cut through his shackles with sniper king attached but I dont think you can cut through Sea Prism stone.

Also, using Sea Prism stone weapons is shameful and goes against the nature of the straw hats, especially because they arent that rich for how powerful they are.

this is kind of off topic, but the easiest way to tell when a power gamer will show up to a One Piece D20 game is if they immediately purchase sea prism hand cuffs.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also we still have zero proof that Sea Prism Stone isn't both tightly controlled and rare as fuck. CP9 has a bunch of handcuffs...because they are located out of the center of justice in the known world. Crocodile is a rich, very influential gangster with ties to the World Government and has a couple of bars of the stuff. Smokey is a high ranking officer and has...a small glob of the stuff. The rest of it is used for the very, VERY important task of keeping the bottoms of their ships coated so that they can go anywhere without fear.

Jarate

Banned
Also we still have zero proof that Sea Prism Stone isn't both tightly controlled and rare as fuck. CP9 has a bunch of handcuffs...because they are located out of the center of justice in the known world. Crocodile is a rich, very influential gangster with ties to the World Government and has a couple of bars of the stuff. Smokey is a high ranking officer and has...a small glob of the stuff. The rest of it is used for the very, VERY important task of keeping the bottoms of their ships coated so that they can go anywhere without fear.

Yeah, it's supposed to be "rare" just like Devil Fruit, but Oda does not make it seem that rare

but ya'll are thinking too hard about One Piece. One Piece powers are more looney tunes and arent that logical, they are just kind of fun, which i enjoy more, cause then we filter out the nerds who ask continuity questions about Star Trek's phazer not making sense or something

daveo42

Banned
Yeah, it's supposed to be "rare" just like Devil Fruit, but Oda does not make it seem that rare

but ya'll are thinking too hard about One Piece. One Piece powers are more looney tunes and arent that logical, they are just kind of fun, which i enjoy more, cause then we filter out the nerds who ask continuity questions about Star Trek's phazer not making sense or something

The harder the seas get, the more instances we will more than likely see. Remember we started out in East Blue, weakest of all seas and Luffy was one of a handful of DF users we encounter there. All that "rarity" stuff went out the window once they entered the Grand Line. We see so many more DF users and seastone implementation there because of the nature of both that sea and the individuals that can thrive there.

Edit: Coating the bottoms of ships with the stuff probably eats up a good chunk of it as well.

BatDan

The harder the seas get, the more instances we will more than likely see. Remember we started out in East Blue, weakest of all seas and Luffy was one of a handful of DF users we encounter there. All that "rarity" stuff went out the window once they entered the Grand Line. We see so many more DF users and seastone implementation there because of the nature of both that sea and the individuals that can thrive there.

Edit: Coating the bottoms of ships with the stuff probably eats up a good chunk of it as well.

Also this.
East Blue gave us four DF users overall.
Luffy, Buggy, Alvida (the second time she appeared) and Smoker. This was the first 100 chapters.
Once they get to the Grand Line, DF users start coming out the woodwork.
Mr.5, Miss Valentine, Robin, Mr. 3, Chopper, Dalton, Wapol, Mr. 2 Bon Clay, Ace, Crocodile, Mr. 1, Miss Doublefinger, Miss Merry Christmas, Pell, Chaka, Hina, and that's just in the first Grand Line "saga".

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I find it hard to believe that an organization like the World Government who knows the usefulness of the Sea Prism Stone would not be setting to work on how to weaponizing and synthesizing the material.

I find it hard to believe that an organization like the World Government who knows the usefulness of the Sea Prism Stone would not be setting to work on how to weaponizing and synthesizing the material.

Well I'm pretty sure their top researcher
Vegapunk
is doing that among other things with the DF. Their other top researcher.....is a little busy with other spoiler stuff at the moment.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Seastone is used for all sorts of things. It
lines the undersides of Marine battleships
(only spoiler marked because it's not actually mentioned for another 15+ episodes or so), it's used frequently in cages and prison cells, it's used for anti-DF handcuffs and other restraints, and some people use it in weapons. I don't know how much more you could really use it than that, considering most of the World Government's top forces are also Devil Fruit users.

If you're the government, in order to use Seastone much more than you already do, you'd probably have to eliminate Devil Fruit users from your elite forces altogether. Which 1) isn't really feasible and 2) would leave you extremely vulnerable to most major pirate forces in the world.

The only thing you could probably use it for that I don't think they currently do is bullets. But even that would be pretty ineffective against most high level DF users.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Still a bit disappointed in dozing off for a bit while waiting for One Piece to happen. Thank goodness I have DVR, but sucks I couldn't watch most of it live with you guys. Guess that's what happens why you try to study for finals, get house work & yard work (including mowing part of the yard via push mower) done, and stay up past 2 a.m.

Crocodile

Going back and reading episode reactions from the night before can be so hilarious.

Holy shit this episode isn't over yet? Even the KLK went fast and that is one of the worst episodes of the series.

Maybe I'm not hating enough. I have a feeling the 2nd half will change that.

In hindsight this post is just LOL in its predictive properties

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Push mower? I am so sorry Zonic.
Considering we live out in the country, a few minutes from town, yeah, it can take about an hour or so to get the front and back done, & while we do have a riding mower, it needs to be fixed.

At the very least, it means more time I can spend listening to music, getting some exercise in, & just getting outside with something to do (especially if kids are over). Plus my dad bought a new push mower that starts like a car (turning a key instead of that annoying pull cord) so it's a bit nicer.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yup, I still have to push it.

Push it real good.

*slaps self for making that reference*

Edit: & my punishment for making that stupid joke is finding out OUR new push mower (not the one I was using yesterday which was my dad's gf's) doesn't have drive control, i.e the wheels don't turn by themselves making it easier to push.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Indeed it was. Probably one of the only series I'd want to own on Blu-Ray/DVD. Plus I need to watch Roberta's Blood Trail one of these days.

daveo42

Banned
Still a bit disappointed in dozing off for a bit while waiting for One Piece to happen. Thank goodness I have DVR, but sucks I couldn't watch most of it live with you guys. Guess that's what happens why you try to study for finals, get house work & yard work (including mowing part of the yard via push mower) done, and stay up past 2 a.m.

At least it is gas-powered. The mower we have is electric and it lacks a drive system. It takes maybe 30mins to cut our smallish yard and you have to work around an extension cord. At this point it probably needs either a new blade or that blade needs sharpening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom