• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May15| Wasting Saturday nights for three years running

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeez, after all of this teasing, it turns out that not only is Digimon Tri only a six-part OVA series, but it isn't even starting until November. Hopefully that means the animation won't suck.

Moaradin

Digimon news is pretty weird considering how early it was teased. I haven't kept up with it but wasn't it at one point going to be a series that aired during the spring season? Now it's not releasing until November and it's officially a 6 part OVA.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Jeez, after all of this teasing, it turns out that not only is Digimon Tri only a six-part OVA series, but it isn't even starting until November. Hopefully that means the animation won't suck.
NOVEMBER?! But that's almost at the end of the 15th anniversary?!

I feel like I'm not surprised it's only 6 episodes/an OVA series. For some reason, the thought of it being a TV series didn't occur to me much. Quality over quantity, I guess. Edit: Oh I know why, it's because the teaser trailer showed off scenes that reminded me of the older OVAs that were spliced together to make the US movie. Think that's why I don't feel so surprised it's an OVA.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Uuuuhhh, simple, it's not made for profit. & they only started asking for donations. They're not charging people to see DBZ Abridged & they're not forcing donations.

Also times change from the early '90s to the 2010 decade.

Edit: Also this response: "TFS lied about not making a profit on DBZ Abridged." Uhhhhhh, no, they actually STOPPED saying that ever since they started getting donations.

From their actual Patreon page:
DragonBall Z Abridged and Hellsing Ultimate Abridged are strictly not-for-profit. We do not gain ad revenue from them, and though they may direct people to our peripheral content that does earn us money (TFS Gaming, DBcember, Song Parodies, etc.), we still have to pay our bills.
As stated earlier, DBZA and HUA do not make ad revenue. Our side projects, however, do earn us money. If you have ever seen an advertisement on one of our DBZ or Hellsing videos on YouTube, understand that, that money is going to the owners of the footage, and very likely the owners of whatever music was used. It is 100% within their right to do so, and we fully understand and support their decision.

Our T-shirts over on SharkRobot are for-profit, and we've worked with several people to make sure that all our designs fall under copyright parody laws.

As for Patreon: we are not asking you to pay for DBZA or HUA. This cannot be stressed enough. We're not here to try and force your hand for content that we've already promised you and delivered to you for years. Both of those series are labors of love, and we want to make sure that all of you continue to enjoy it as we expand. Besides, we aren't dicks... well we aren't THOSE kind of dicks.

daveo42

Banned

I'm fine with this. OVAs and 13 episode seasons seem to have a higher quality in terms of both writing and animation based on my experience. Plus you can tell a more focused story and not fall into some weird "filler" episodes that almost every 26-episode show seems to hit regardless of production company and writers/directors.

Crocodile

Even if the animation quality might be better overall, I was looking forward to an actual new TV series so, given how little we still know, the OVA announcement disappoints. More animators to work on Dragon Ball Super I guess?

More Bahamut IS great news though :)

is digimon good

1st season was great for its time but I dunno if it it still holds up. Most people who have rewatched have said that it does though. Season 2 is a direct continuation of Season 1 but is a bit of a downgrade due to a focus on some worse characters, some weird retcons, plot points that are underdeveloped and a weird case of throwing everything and the kitchen sink together to try to find something that works (The first half of the show is one arc and then the last half is like three arcs thrown together). Also the ending was kind of whack. Third season (new setting, new characters) is by far the best season - better writing, better pacing, more interesting plot developments and a darker tone. Season 4 was the worst of the seasons I've seen. Really changed up the formula but not for the better IMO. Also most of the cast becomes useless halfway through the show. I've never seen the later seasons.

A real series is coming out in 2016 iirc, actual animation, 26 min episodes

You got a source for this? Seems super unlikely given what we know about the production. I know the show is supposed to actually air on TV in 2016 (right now its just a web broadcast) but I've heard of none of the other stuff. It is already going to be 26 episodes (not 26 min per episode). Did you get some details confused maybe?

I'm fine with this. OVAs and 13 episode seasons seem to have a higher quality in terms of both writing and animation based on my experience. Plus you can tell a more focused story and not fall into some weird "filler" episodes that almost every 26-episode show seems to hit regardless of production company and writers/directors.

Sometimes those "filler" episodes are good for character development and world building - all "filler" isn't bad. Writing will depend more on who is actually doing the writing than the length. A shorter run time could lead to a more focused narrative but it might also mean there isn't enough time to really develop characters or plot points well. Also some that is short but shit is still shit :p

Cwarrior

Digimon being a 6 part Ova is good news for Dragon ball super and other toei tv shows, one less show to fight resources with.

Mostly still-shots and like 20 seconds of great animation (looks like Shida's work).

Yep, this is a Toei show.

Pv's normal show absoultly nothing except for few character designs and backgrounds.

Season 4 is great it does have its problems like no real parners but that cast is very well written and the story is great

Also the trailer got me pumped, disappointed its only a 6 episode ova but if its quality I'll be okay. Just worried all 8 main characters won't get a chance to shine in an ova series

daveo42

Banned
A real series is coming out in 2016 iirc, actual animation, 26 min episodes

Curious about the source on this too. While what we have is ok, a fully animated show would be fantastic. The actual animated stuff that's been in Ninja Slayer so far has been pretty good, there just isn't all that much of it.

Sometimes those "filler" episodes are good for character development and world building - all "filler" isn't bad. Writing will depend more on who is actually doing the writing than the length. A shorter run time could lead to a more focused narrative but it might also mean there isn't enough time to really develop characters or plot points well. Also some that is short but shit is still shit :p

Agreed. Not all "filler" is bad and can be used to enhance the story, characters and world, but it's also a place where you can get some really weak episodes that do little to nothing but to take up space in the line up. As for characterization and shorter runs, that can kind of fall into the size of your cast and the scope of the story you want to tell in that timeframe.

With a proper writer/director who knows how to hit the story and character beats while avoiding any kind of meandering during would be best, it just seems to happen a bit more with longer series. They just have the time to make it up later on or toss in little tidbits into those weaker episodes.

Grexeno

& then the cops came in because HOLY CRAP HE'S GOT A SWORD & IS GONNA CUT EVERYONE UP, right?
image.php

im37fQLZPuBP5.PNG

95% of Gintama is just filler and I love it.

Jarate

Banned
Rememer in America where carrying a handgun is ok, and you can even conceal it so no one know you have it, but you cant carry a massive broadsword!

ive always wanted to carry around a massive briadsword because im huge and I can get away with it and becauseit would be baller as fuck

daveo42

Banned
Who else is seeing RiffTrax Live: The Room tonight?

I'm gonna try and go tonight, though I've been feeling slightly sick the past day or two. At least if I do go, my ticket will be free thanks to Regal's kerfluffle with the projector when I went to see Age of Ultron last week.

I've seen their regular riff of it and it was pretty good. Expecting this to be even funnier, but I think due to its length we won't get a short.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
GUYS, I'VE GOT IT.

DVD is coming out in July supposedly. Kill la Kill ends in July.

Toonami premieres Part 3 as KlK's replacement & Viz uses Toonami to promote Season 1 as the "origin story" of Dio.

Edit: I wonder, did they actually dub Season 1 as well? Could that have been the reason why it took so long after that "test dub"?

GUYS, I'VE GOT IT.

DVD is coming out in July supposedly. Kill la Kill ends in July.

Toonami premieres Part 3 as KlK's replacement & Viz uses Toonami to promote Season 1 as the "origin story" of Dio.

Edit: I wonder, did they actually dub Season 1 as well? Could that have been the reason why it took so long after that "test dub"?

original

if it does happen.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"On December 17, 2008, Viz Media announced that starting on April 1, 2009, Warner Home Video would be handling the distribution of both its new and existing catalog releases."

Not to mention Viz released the Part 3 manga quite a few years back & is in the process of re-releasing Parts 1 & 2 right now. I could've sworn there was a logo for the English version of the anime.

Also yes WE ALL NEED TO BUG DEMARCO NOW.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Viz has very rarely put out a sub-only release. Also wonder if anyone from the test dub will be changed.

CRISPIN FREEMAN AS DIO, MAKE IT HAPPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom