• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Lupin always seemed like a fun series in general...maybe aside from Fujiko Mine which was a bit more serious, but that was also the one made by the same person who made Michiko & Hatchin.

.....speaking of Fujiko Mine, I don't suppose this new series will require any edits? That was the entire reason why we didn't get the series that was more focused on her, due to all the nudity, especially during the opening.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
.....speaking of Fujiko Mine, I don't suppose this new series will require any edits? That was the entire reason why we didn't get the series that was more focused on her, due to all the nudity, especially during the opening.

,,,Maybe a little? I might be confusing part of it with the Jigen's Gravestone Movie, though. She's also nude in the OP, covered by beams of light, so...

This definitely isn't the lewdness Lupin work though. Not by a long shot.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Aw yeah, Richard Epcar is Jigen.

Meanwhile, Michelle Ruff is Fujiko, but you probably know her better as Cream the Rabbit from Sonic & Rabi~en~Rose from Di Gi Charat.

Seda

Meanwhile, Michelle Ruff is Fujiko, but you probably know her better as Cream the Rabbit from Sonic & Rabi~en~Rose from Di Gi Charat.

Those are your go-to examples for Michelle Ruff? Not Yoko or Rukia? Could even go Sinon for thread relevance.

I actually like Michelle quite a bit, but she doesn't have a ton of range so her characters can sound a lot alike. If casted well she can absolutely nail a role, however. My favorite is Rita from Tales of Vesperia.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Interesting how it seems to switch between Tony Oliver & Sonny Strait.

Those are your go-to examples for Michelle Ruff? Not Yoko or Rukia? Could even go Sinon for thread relevance.
I was just going with the more obscure roles as a joke/"wait, she did THOSE?"

She voiced Fujiko in the past, including in the more recent series "The Woman Called Fujiko Mine", though I haven't seen the dub for it so I can't give an opinion on how well she handled the role.

BBboy20

Satire is hard to pull off in text.

For the longest time, I thought it was Dave Wittenberg who voiced Lupin during the AS run but apparently not.

Satire is hard to pull off in text.

For the longest time, I thought it was Dave Wittenberg who voiced Lupin during the AS run but apparently not.

He could have done something like "ruff is famous for *insert obscure shows here*. I'd argue that was her biggest role as well not like she was ever a lead voice actress in two of the biggest shows on the block"

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
WVW69kVrS3M28A2qrD

Retro GiTS(2/15/14):

zlCfzRgxrEIAAZtOsU

LATER

Lupin is such an odd series in that it's often lighthearted and goofy, but Lupin and his team often don't hesitate to kill other criminals. Often in extremely brutal fashion. Then it'll go back to being lighthearted and goofy like nothing happened.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Lupin is such an odd series in that it's often lighthearted and goofy, but Lupin and his team often don't hesitate to kill other criminals. Often in extremely brutal fashion. Then it'll go back to being lighthearted and goofy like nothing happened.

Lupin III has always been a mix of action and comedy.

Compared to other Lupin portrayals, this Lupin is much nicer and I suppose safe. I don't even recall any big perverted moments from him; the boxing glove snatch trap scene from the classic opening would be out of character. Much more emphasis is placed on his intelligence. A good comparison would be his portrayal in Castle of Cagliostro.

Fujiko is similarly much safer than she's usually portrayed, to the point where she honestly comes off as sort of bland, as I recall.

cntr

Banned
The Castle of Cagliostro was also Miyazaki's first major movie, so it's effectively also a pretty good Ghibli movie.

Highly recommended.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Finally watched the stuff I missed last night. I'm guess i'm saying nothing original in Genndy went the full TTGL ending there.

The Castle of Cagliostro was also Miyazaki's first major movie, so it's effectively also a pretty good Ghibli movie.

Highly recommended.

The theme song is fucking magical.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yep. As I stated before The Castle of Cagliostro is classic Lupin distilled to a T if you want to take a peek into the franchise.

Besides the ugly jacket...

Also Fujiko Mine would have been impossible to edit for TOONAMI. Not just the opening, which is done completely in the buff, but I think there's only one episode that doesn't have full frontal nudity in it.

It's got a great dub though and its on Funimation Now.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Realtalk: Eren is one of the better parts of season one despite two of the better episodes being those he doesn't appear in. Season one is just not very good in general!

I love Eren/Mikasa/Armin Hammer.

I should bring up that Castle of Cagliostro isn't actually a good representation of classic Lupin. At that time, both the manga and the anime depicted Lupin as a violent lecher, the anime less so in order to be safe for broadcast. The popularity of that movie is largely what led to Lupin being toned down and being turned into an actually heroic character.

Also, on the subject of that movie's theme song, it appears pretty frequently in the new series in instrumental form, during sentimental moments. At least toward the end of the show, I don't remember if it does toward the beginning.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I should bring up that Castle of Cagliostro isn't actually a good representation of classic Lupin. At that time, both the manga and the anime depicted Lupin as a violent lecher, the anime less so in order to be safe for broadcast. The popularity of that movie is largely what led to Lupin being toned down and being turned into an actually heroic character.

Also, on the subject of that movie's theme song, it appears pretty frequently in the new series in instrumental form, during sentimental moments. At least toward the end of the show, I don't remember if it does toward the beginning.

Manga Lupin a lot seedier, especially early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom