• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
7SPej2y.gif

HXH fight was pretty cool, but I don't like how they sit there and over explain everything during a fight. Nen works a lot better in post fight situations imo. During battle it should just be shown.
If you think what you're complaining about is bad now then you're in for a really rough 2018-2019.

cntr

Banned
Togashi's overly dense explanations are HxH's biggest flaw.

I mean, it's a general issue with manga and anime, leaning too much into verbal explanation, but Togashi's especially bad at it.

caliph95

Honestly i think i have to be in a mood for it sometimes JoJo in japanese without the goofy accents of english annoyed me sometimes with the explanation

Bleach is the worst because it's tied into how convuluted and convenient the battles became ot helped by Kubo giving enemies bullshit level hax abilities that makes unbelievable or unsatisfying when they are beaten.

Moaradin

I think exposition in HxH is fine because you legit wouldn't be able to follow what's going on without it at times. And it never treats you like an idiot either, which is usually my main problem with exposition in shonen anime.

Jarate

Banned
Im prefectly fine with post battle explanations

in Jojo it works wonderfully due to the way that story works .I can suspend my disbeleief that two fighters will stop in the middle of battle to explain their techniques in Jojo, but not in a show like HxH imo.

caliph95

in Jojo it works wonderfully due to the way that story works .I can suspend my disbeleief that two fighters will stop in the middle of battle to explain their techniques in Jojo, but not in a show like HxH imo.
Bleach: let me tell you exactly how my powers work so you could counter it

I love Jojo but I'm glad the narrator doesn't survive past Part 2 in the anime.

And Togashi has always had a rule boner. Who can forget "let's fight in front of knives Yusuke, it'll be badass".

Jarate

Banned
I can also handle exposition in shows, I wouldnt be able to watch shonen without it. HxH is definitely not as good at it as Jojo is

I love Jojo but I'm glad the narrator doesn't survive past Part 2 in the anime.

And Togashi has always had a rule boner. Who can forget "let's fight in front of knives Yusuke, it'll be badass".

Narrator works really well in the manga. The anime just needed a better voice over

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think exposition in HxH is fine because you legit wouldn't be able to follow what's going on without it at times. And it never treats you like an idiot either, which is usually my main problem with exposition in shonen anime.

That's basically the HxH issue. Some Nen abilities are so complicated or specific that if they weren't properly explained you'd have no idea what's going on. Like with Kurapika's Chain Jail, if not for the explanation you'd think it was just a really strong chain and not something that forces zetsu.

Moaradin

But that doesn't typically happen in HxH lol

The example you used a few post back had Zeno trying to figure out Chrollo's ability mid fight with inner monologues. It works in this case because it shows us how capable Zeno is by having him piece it together. None of the fighters stopped to explain their abilities, the action was still going on during this whole process.

cntr

Banned
I don't mind explanations, but Togashi leans too much into words instead of drawings. Which is weird for a comic, though admittedly it's less of a thing than it should be for manga in general.

I don't mind Jojo's explanations as much since they're written so ridiculously that listening to them becomes entertaining, like "bullet deflecting oil" or "he blinded himself to activate a mental switch"

Jarate

Banned
But that doesn't happen in HxH lol

The example you used a few post back had Zeno trying to figure out Chrollo's ability mid fight with inner monologues. It works in this case because it shows us how capable Zeno is by having him piece it together. None of the fighters stopped to explain their abilities, the action was still going on during this whole process.

I just dont think that explanation was well done or that intriguing, and I don't really think that it was all that complex or especially cool enough to be explicitly explained.

I prefer post fight explanations personally to during the middle of fight ones is what I was saying. I get what they were doing, it just didnt seem that interesting to me.

But that doesn't typically happen in HxH lol

I don't think Jarate knows how far down the exposition hole gets with HxH...it's like digging to China...
I can probably say some out of context stuff from JoJo and no one would be spoiled
Nope, even when told about something shit don't make sense.

cntr

Banned
Also, personal opinion and the anime alleviates this somewhat, but Togashi explains crap really badly. Nen is complicated, but the explanations are sometimes way more obtuse than they should be, like e.g., the way the manga explains Emperor Time or "adding interest".

Jarate

Banned
Jojo is just better then HXH. Im sorry, but I gotta keep it real (HXH Anime is way better produced and animated though)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also, personal opinion and the anime alleviates this somewhat, but Togashi explains crap really badly. Nen is complicated, but the explanations are sometimes way more obtuse than they should be, like e.g., the way the manga explains Emperor Time or "adding interest".

The manga is easily the most convoluted when it comes to power explanation but I'd put it ahead of Bleach in execution because like others said it literally only happens in Bleach so that the villain can hoist themselves by their own petard.

Jarate

Banned
Jojo's manga is one of the greatest treats known to man.

Do not listen to lies aout the first parts being badly drawn. Do not listen to those horrible lies. Part 1 & 2 are drawn incredibly well.

The Jojo hardcover books are amazing btw

cntr

Banned
oh um, I should mention that I didn't mind Zeno's explanation of Chrollo's power, that's one of HxH's more understandable expositions.

The manga is easily the most convoluted when it comes to power explanation but I'd put it ahead of Bleach in execution because like others said it literally only happens in Bleach so that the villain can hoist themselves by their own petard.
Yeah, no way Togashi's ever going to be as bad as Bleach.

but honestly it's really impressive how shamelessly specific Kubo wrote those powers sometimes

Jojo is just better then HXH. Im sorry, but I gotta keep it real (HXH Anime is way better produced and animated though)
saywha.gif

As an anime only, Part 4 is the only season so far that comes remotely close to HxH for me.

But not close enough
HOW DOES KING CRIMSON WORK???!!!!!!!
My everlasting climax

Manga 7
Something something refusing to die...
Jojo's manga is one of the greatest treats known to man.

Do not listen to lies aout the first parts being badly drawn. Do not listen to those horrible lies. Part 1 & 2 are drawn incredibly well.

The Jojo hardcover books are amazing btw
Part 1 manga is drawn so well that it inspired Robert Liefeld...

cntr

Banned
Remember that the logic for Ichigo defeating Aizen was that
he never saw Aizen using his power and so wasn't under the illusion spell? Completely unforeshadowed?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
he never saw Aizen using his power and so wasn't under the illusion spell? Completely unforeshadowed?

It's why the first part of Bleach is so damn good. None of the nonsense and tomfoolery.

caliph95

I think that was explained before hand can't remember
Remember how
Yhawch was beaten by an arrow from Uryu dad's ass
Also Rose and Shinji lost because they told the enemy how their power works

cntr

Banned
It's why the first part of Bleach is so damn good. None of the nonsense and tomfoolery.
Still wish we kept going with that YYH-style supernatural real world setting. Would've been way dope than what we got.

Remember when Orihime was a ridiculous goofy character? Or that she had a whole backstory thing with her dead brother?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom