• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
MGNAVGN.gif

Xe4

Banned
I know I'm super late to this discussion (like a page late), but HxH also annoys me with how much they explain stuff. Most anime do, in fact. I'm actually thinking about making a thread about it when I have time. Two people fighting in silence is better than these huge monologues or dialogues 99% of the time. I know it's usually done because most anime are manga adaptations, and talking is more common in the graphic medium out of necessity, but still.

Like, the first minute and a half of Gon v. Hisoka was done so beautifully well, explaining the fight and just how much better Hisoka was without a single word spoken. That first bit was probably my favorite moment in the entire series thus far. Too bad the rest of the fight was downhill from there.

It's why I love Samurai Jack (and really all Genndy stuff) so much. There are soo many fights to count where not a single word is spoken, and the tension is conveyed through posing and action (SJ seasons 1-4, and Clone Wars spoilers).

Edit: To be fair, the fight I linked was edited, but even in the real thing, the talking in that part was kept to a minimum. I'll try to link the unedited bit.

Edit 2: The unedited fight. The first 1:30 have no dialogue and are the best part of the fight, as with before. I think they could've done the bit up to the slab throw without any without much talking at all, however. The fight would've been better for it.

cntr

Banned
I sometimes wonder if dialogue heavy exposition is just not a big deal in Japan or something. It'd explain a lot.

...on the other hand, a lot of manga avoid dialogue, especially in seinen. So maybe it's a genre thing and not a Japan thing.

Moaradin

I think exposition can be used very well, and I think HxH does it well for the most part. The use of the narrator for example, is absolutely key and future arcs wouldn't be nearly as good without it. It's a stylistic choice in this case, and It's completely understandable if some people don't like it.

Togashi definitely can be a bit too wordy, that's for sure, but the anime does cut some of that out (like the Kurapika Emperor Time details for example).

I finally watched it a few months ago and I dug it. I think Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop had more memorable stand alone episodes, but Michiko to Hatchin probably had the best actual ongoing plot of that group.

Assuming G Gundam HD airs some day, how many of you guys would be new to it?

I'd watch it.

Regiruler

Regiruler wasn't a fan, I see.
Didn't care for the atmosphere. I think some episodes were good, quite a few wasted their setup.
There was the episode that started with a bleeding statue that didn't really use it.

I think it aired alongside Parasyte? I actually remember liking Parasyte more frequently.

cntr

Banned
Hunter x Hunter is a great series, but I totally get if people don't like it because it does things in a very particular way, and that can be really off-putting if you don't like it. Like the exposition.

The anime's definitely handling it better, though.

Xe4

Banned
Unicorn has been my first exposure to Gundam ever. Never been too much of a fan of mecha stuff, I guess.

My sum total experience of all mecha anime is Macross Plus, Macross DYRL, Gurren Lagann, and the Big O (and now some of Unicorn). So, not very much haha.
Edit: also Evangellion 1-26 (haven't seen the non directors cut for ep 20-24 and don't plan to) + End of Eva (duh!)

cntr

Banned
Unicorn has been my first exposure to Gundam ever. Never been too much of a fan of mecha stuff, I guess.

My sum total experience of all mecha anime is Macross Plus, Macross DYRL, Gurren Lagann, and the Big O (and now some of Unicorn). So, not very much haha.
Edit: also Evangellion 1-26 (haven't seen the non directors cut for ep 20-24 and don't plan to) + End of Eva (duh!)
Did you like Gurren Lagann much?

If you did, you'd probably like "super robot" shows like GaoGaiGar, G Gundam, Getter Robo, or Mazinger Z more, rather than "real robot" shows like Gundam or Macross. It's the better half of mecha anyway!

Xe4

Banned
Did you like Gurren Lagann much?

If you did, you'd probably like "super robot" shows like GaoGaiGar, G Gundam, Getter Robo, or Mazinger Z more, rather than "real robot" shows like Gundam or Macross. It's the better half of mecha anyway!

I like GL in the same way I like JoJo. They're dumb as fuck but that's kind of what makes it awesome. Probably less of a fan of those kind of shows than most in this thread, but they're still pretty fun from time to time.

I'll definitely check out some of the shows you mentioned.

cntr

Banned
Super robot shows are great because they're ridiculously stupid. I mean, mecha that use rocket punches! Mecha that transform into giant fists to punch people with! I'll never get why some people prefer space politics and full frontal over shit like that.

Pretty catchy theme songs, too.

Moaradin

I love Gurren Lagann, but I haven't seen many super robot shows other than that, oddly enough. Though a big part of it is the animation. A lot of those shows are old as fuck and visually aren't as appealing. Though I've liked Gunbuster/Diebuster, Giant Robo, and Build Fighters.

Sometimes I watch a scene done by Yutaka Nakamura and wonder if a scene can have too much impact frames.

The answer is, of course, no.

I love when he experiments with them as well. Like when he used a fucking eclipse in Mob Psycho.

You know, looking back on it, I have to wonder if Klein was supposed to have a bigger role in the series besides comic relief.

Like the entire first episode of SAO seems to set up a buddy dynamic between him and Kirito, but then he basically disappears because Kirito needs to briefly angst.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, the dated look of super robot shows is probably the biggest barrier to entry. Even the recent remake shows like New Getter Robo deliberately use a dated style.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You know, looking back on it, I have to wonder if Klein was supposed to have a bigger role in the series besides comic relief.

Like the entire first episode of SAO seems to set up a buddy dynamic between him and Kirito, but then he basically disappears because Kirito needs to briefly angst.

Like most things in SAO, it could have been cool but got bungled and turned out horrible.

Klein was the best waifu from SAO, so it probably would've been a better show.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Remember Robot Girls Z, the show that turned Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger, Grendizer, Getter Robo, Baron Ashura, & more into teenage girls?

....in all honesty, it was actually alright since each episode was only about 8 or 12 minutes long.

Mizerman

SAO has good concepts, but piss poor execution.

Xe4

Banned
Dated anime doesn't phrase me at all. Galaxy Express 999 is one of my favorite shows of all time and that shit old AF.

caliph95

One jump ahead of the firing line
one swing ahead of the sword
I kill only when i can't afford
thats everything
One jump ahead of the gundams
That's all, and that's no joke
These guys don't appreciate I'm broke
Riffraffs! Space rats! Scoundrels! Take that!
[Just a little snack, guys
Rip him open, take it back, guys
I can take a hint, gotta face the facts
You're my only friend, Orga!
Who?
Oh it's sad Mikazuki's____ the bottom
He's become a one-man rise in deaths
I'd blame parents except he hasn't got 'em
Gotta eat to live, gotta kill to eat
Tell you all about it when I got the time!
One jump ahead of the pirates
One skip ahead of my doom
Next time gonna use a nom de plume
One jump ahead of the hitmen
One hit ahead of the flock
I think I'll take a stroll around the earth
Stop, thief! Vandal! Outrage! Scandal!
Let's not be too hasty
Still I think he's rather tasty
Gotta eat to live, gotta kill to eat
Otherwise we'd get along
Wrong!
One jump ahead of the hoofbeats
(Vandal!)
One hop ahead of the hump
(spacerat!)
One trick ahead of disaster
(Scoundrel!)
They're quick, but I'm much faster
(Take that!)
Here goes, better throw my hand in
Wish me happy landin'
All I gotta do is fly

Riffraff, space rat
I don't buy that
If only they'd look closer
Would they see a murderer? No, siree
They'd find out
There's so much more to me

cntr

Banned
You know, good point.

...and I just remembered that The March of the Black Queen is a Queen song on the same album. Pfft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom