• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

caliph95

Loituma.gif

It's on the list of things worth traveling back in time for.

"FOTNS knockoff art is timeless!" Don't chase that early 90's Bishie train!!!
Is it bad to like both, at least the current art style has...some what realistic body proportions. Dio's gains are inhuman in some panels.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Is it bad to like both, at least the current art style has...some what realistic body proportions. Dio's gains are inhuman in some panels.

I wouldn't be proud of stealing
Jonathan's wimpy Bishie body.
So Part 3 and beyond would never have happened!

cntr

Banned
Seriously though, Bleach should've remained like early Bleach. Keep the series focused on the weirdos Ichigo knew at school, and make it an episodic series based on fighting ghosts and keeping secret that someone lives in his closet.

Play up the mystery aspect too, and make Soul Society out as a villainous shadowy group trying to kidnap Rukia. Do something with the whole Quincy mystery, too.

It was all perfectly set up to make a long-running fun shounen series, Kubo was insane for throwing it all away.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Remember that the logic for Ichigo defeating Aizen was that
he never saw Aizen using his power and so wasn't under the illusion spell? Completely unforeshadowed?

I thought this was always pretty obvious. Aizen had
gotten all of the other soul reapers under the sway of his Kyouka Suigetsu by gathering them all together and showing them the sword's false initial release, which served as the hypnotizing act. That made everyone think his sword was a water-type attack rather than the complete hypnosis that it actually was. This happened way before the series storyline even began and I believe was explained immediately after he first revealed his true evil nature by attacking Hitsugaya. Logically Ichigo would not have been present for that event that occurred way in the past, and we never once saw what that supposed original release of Kyouka Suigetsu looked like, so we know he never showed it to him during the context of the series. So it would stand to reason that Ichigo would not be under Aizen's hypnosis like everyone else.

caliph95

Seriously though, Bleach should've remained like early Bleach. Keep the series focused on the weirdos Ichigo knew at school, and make it an episodic series based on fighting ghosts and keeping secret that someone lives in his closet.

Play up the mystery aspect too, and make Soul Society out as a villainous shadowy group trying to kidnap Rukia. Do something with the whole Quincy mystery, too.

It was all perfectly set up to make a long-running fun shounen series, Kubo was insane for throwing it all away.
Soul Society while great and the best arc fucked the series in the long term

I like YuYu Hakusho.

Huge chunks of it didn't really hold up when I went to revisit it. I like the wild experimentation and presentation of the Dark Tournament for example, but stuff like Genkai's tournament, the Four Saint Beast arc, and the final arc was whatever. Chapter Black was decent but ended poorly.

cntr

Banned
I thought this was always pretty obvious.
The thing is, with the portrayal of Aizen's character, it's kind of hard to swallow that he never thought about it. It would've been a lot easier to believe, and work a lot better story-wise, if it was foreshadowed beforehand.

Kubo probably never realized it either until he thought up the twist.

Huge chunks of it didn't really hold up when I went to revisit it. I like the wild experimentation and presentation of the Dark Tournament for example, but stuff like Genkai's tournament, the Four Saint Beast arc, and the final arc was whatever. Chapter Black was decent but ended poorly.

Really? I haven't watched it in years, so maybe it doesn't hold up.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
YYH:

I love the very early bits before the tower. Then I like the pre dank tournament. The dank tournament is good but not great because it takes too long. I like the early bits of Chapter Black but the ending is really weak. The arc after it is pointless.

The final chapter/anime episode is great.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The thing is, with the portrayal of Aizen's character, it's kind of hard to swallow that he never thought about it. It would've been a lot easier to believe, and work a lot better story-wise, if it was foreshadowed beforehand.

Kubo probably never realized it either until he thought up the twist.

I kinda thought the whole thing was set up rather plainly why Ichigo was going to be the only one who would be able to fight him. It's like Luffy being naturally immune to Enel's powers.

It's one of the few things about Bleach that feels like it was actually planned.

Really? I haven't watched it in years, so maybe it doesn't hold up.
Some of the earlier stuff isn't the show at it's best but I'm pretty much fine with everything Rescue Yukina and beyond. Final arc is a rushed mess though. I like the Hiei's backstory parts, but that's all I can pretty much remember from it, it's been awhile.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I kinda thought the whole thing was set up rather plainly why Ichigo was going to be the only one who would be able to fight him. It's like Luffy being naturally immune to Enel's powers.

It's one of the few things about Bleach that feels like it was actually planned.

SS in general works out really nice and neatly. No glaring holes anywhere besides maybe Gin's motivation in all of this, but even that is explained fairly well later on.

cntr

Banned

If it was, Kubo fumbled the execution real badly.

...though yeah, if Aizen was supposed to have been fought at the end of Soul Society instead of way later, it would've been fine.

Remember how Kenpachi killed Unohana for no reason to get a power he never really used?

God the final arc of Bleach is full of so much bullshit.

caliph95

Remember how Kenpachi killed Unohana for no reason to get a power he never really used?

God the final arc of Bleach is full of so much bullshit.
Remember how Unohana is not only their best medic but also their strongest soldier in war against the hax quincy but Kubo Sensui had her killed anyway for a power up instead of training

cntr

Banned
Should watch Michiko and Hatchin, sometime.

Someone on the podcast mentioned a while it as an example of a show that's good, but not for a group watch.

I actually really like the Genkai's tournament but I do agree with the Four Beast arc, felt very generic imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom