• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizerman

Wouldn't they pretty much have to normalize the names of the entire cast? Gon would just be Gary or something with Killua being Ken.

They would likely keep Gon's name, but Killua ain't staying.

A hockey team name...the Shogo 162 Vindicators? Maybe?

Ah, yes, starring Gon, Kirua, Pika, and Bob.

Instead of the Kurta Clan being wiped out, they'll be imprisoned with no mention about their eyes.

cntr

Banned
4kids still technically dubs Yu-Gi-Oh, so maybe the new ones.

Pokemon was alright,
though I grew up with the Hindi dub and not the English.

jw

are there any 4Kids anime localizations that were serviceable or are they all universally bad

Pokemon and Yugioh pretty much, but even then those had their share of issues and faults (editing and cuts mainly). but overall they were serviceable dubs that still are remembered as being good at the time (they wouldn't have brought back the 4kids voice actors for the Yugioh movie otherwise).

Regiruler

Didn't they change things whole sale for the entire story and such for Yu Gi Oh?
The Japanese anime already changes a ton from the manga, it's not like the JP anime has artistic integrity.

And Yu-gi-oh's Japanese anime is really edgy for no good reason. A lot of the stuff that has a tendency to get substituted isn't that impactful in the first place. I'm slowly watching VRAINS on crunchyroll and it's really dumb and filled with Engrish.
Pokemon and Yugioh pretty much, but even then those had their share of issues and faults (editing and cuts mainly). but overall they were serviceable dubs that still are remembered as being good at the time (they wouldn't have brought back the 4kids voice actors for the Yugioh movie otherwise).

They in fact would have, because all of the movies have 4k media involved. If you're referring to PoL, that was actually initiated by 4kids.

They in fact would have, because all of the movies have 4k media involved. If you're referring to PoL, that was actually initiated by 4kids.

I keep forgetting 4k Media is a thing, its the last living remnant of 4kids but its solely owned by Konami so they can't do anything else besides Yugioh.

That and 4Licensing Corporation, but thats an entirely different outfit (I think they make impact gear?) they will never touch anime again.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*reads manga based on a true event drawn by the author/artist, even says on the cover "(true) story"

*credits says "this is a work of fiction", "...products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously"*

.....uh, so is this Schrodinger's truth? I get why they put it in every manga, to avoid lawsuits & such, but why for a manga where's basically an autobiography of a point in life of the author?

But on the current topic, 4Kids went bankrupt in 2011, but then came back in Dec. 2012, only to announced in Sept. 2016 (lol on my birthday) that they were once again bankrupt.

Guessing the only series 4Licensing or whatever owns now is Yu-Gi-Oh, as Viz now has the rights for Pokemon.

caliph95

*reads manga based on a true event drawn by the author/artist, even says on the cover "(true) story"

*credits says "this is a work of fiction", "...products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously"*

.....uh, so is this Schrodinger's truth? I get why they put it in every manga, to avoid lawsuits & such, but why for a manga where's basically an autobiography of a point in life of the author?

But on the current topic, 4Kids went bankrupt in 2011, but then came back in Dec. 2012, only to announced in Sept. 2016 (lol on my birthday) that they were once again bankrupt.

Guessing the only series 4Licensing or whatever owns now is Yu-Gi-Oh, as Viz now has the rights for Pokemon.
Maybe it's a Fargo true story

Which manga is this?

Huh? 4Kids ceased to exist after 2012, it divided into 2 fractions 4Licensing Corp. and 4K Media, the latter is owned personally by Konami to do Yugioh dubs and thats all.

TPC Always owned pokemon, just licensed out to 4Kids until they realized they can do it cheaper and pulled out.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Maybe it's a Fargo true story
The author/artist put the manga up on her Pixiv (think the Japanese equivalent of Deviantart) & it's from her perspective, so maybe it was a force of habit since all manga has it. But I couldn't help but notice considering the manga deals with mental issues, depression, sexuality, & coming to terms with accepting yourself, with having extra weight because it's what the mangaka actually went through, so it feels..."off" that the disclaimer is in there.

Or maybe I'm just missing something/trying to read too much into it & Seven Seas Entertainment did it for legal reasons.

Which manga is this?
It's called "My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness", just got released/translated today.

Huh? 4Kids ceased to exist after 2012, it divided into 2 fractions 4Licensing Corp. and 4K Media, the latter is owned personally by Konami to do Yugioh dubs and thats all.

TPC Always owned pokemon, just licensed out to 4Kids until they realized they can do it cheaper and pulled out.
My bad, I was going by what I saw on Wiki, think I might've misread something. 2012 was when they were reincorporated into 4Licensing.

cntr

Banned
Specifically, "it's fiction" is usually an exception to things like defamation laws and personality rights, so they declare books fiction to avoid that. Not that it's likely, but still.

Oh, and it's probably a standard message they put on all their published works.

It's called "My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness", just got released/translated today.

Thought so, I just read through that last night on a twitter recommendation. the story is real so I figure its more of what you said before that Seven Seas Entertainment did it for legal reasons.

Was it only 5 chapters? because thats all I found at least for the Pixiv version. is their a difference in the published version?

My bad, I was going by what I saw on Wiki, think I might've misread something. 2012 was when they were reincorporated into 4Licensing.

Its cool, it was probably some subsidiary that got shut down in 2016 4kids had allot of them.

Toonami_Ratings.png

I definitely feel like running Super twice a night is not doing it any favors.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Specifically, "it's fiction" is usually an exception to things like defamation laws and personality rights, so they declare books fiction to avoid that. Not that it's likely, but still.

Oh, and it's probably a standard message they put on all their published works.
That's what I figured. Thanks for the clarification/confirming I was just trying to read too much into it for no reason.

Thought so, I just read through that last night on a twitter recommendation. the story is real so I figure its more of what you said before that Seven Seas Entertainment did it for legal reasons.

Was it only 5 chapters? because thats all I found at least for the Pixiv version. is their a difference in the published version?
Yeah, though there's a short bonus chapter that's 8 pages long. From what I can tell, it's basically just what was on her Pixiv collected into a physical book & translated.

It's rare that I buy manga nowadays, but this was one of those times where I felt "this is something I think I should own, & I want to reward the publisher for bringing it over, & hopefully it's rewarding the mangaka as well for being brave in telling this story." I look forward to seeing what my best friend thinks & hopefully others will discover it as well.

Meanwhile, to get back to Toonami. wow, only 5 episodes of AoT2. I don't think this season has made me a fan, but I can acknowledge this has been a whole lot more enjoyable/interesting compared to S1. I just feel overall more invested since there's a better sense of mystery (what the hell is this beast titan) & the pacing has just been better. It certainly was a lot better than what I was fearing when hearing it was coming to the block. Possibly one of the best surprises of the year.

I can't believe a live action SAO tv series was announced before a live-action Bebop series.

Either way, do not want.

Speaking of live-action, the JoJo movie might not be shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom