• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
d4AjxZo.gif

download.png

Everyone asks this question when starting My Hero Academia, and there really isn't a good answer. (BTW, the character being discussed in this tweet is not actually a horny baby.)\

Mineta sucks, and I get the point of his character is that he sucks, but goddamn.

caliph95

Mineta never gets much focus to be fair and stays comic relief and in small doses
luckily

You know watching old Fairy tail fights on YT after getting bored and i remember how much more enjoyable they were before time skip still cliche shonen shit but more enjoyable

cntr

Banned
He's being set up to have a proper arc later on, so he'll probably get better. But, well, the anime has a tendency to make the characters less grounded and the fanservice more gratuitous than the manga, which has the opposite tendency of trying to make fanservice more tasteful or dull its impact some other way, so anime Mineta comes across a lot worse than manga Mineta. (Plus, yeah, he recedes into the background pretty quickly, which...the anime threw out with its bad pacing.)

Generally the anime fucks up on a lot of the subtle things that make him and the other characters work or be tolerable.

edit: Also, why're we discussing this here?

caliph95

He's being set up to have a proper arc later on, so he'll probably get better. But, well, the anime has a tendency to make the characters less grounded and the fanservice more gratuitous than the manga, which has the opposite tendency of trying to make fanservice more tasteful or dull its impact some other way, so anime Mineta comes across a lot worse than manga Mineta. (Plus, yeah, he recedes into the background pretty quickly, which...the anime threw out with its bad pacing.)

Generally the anime fucks up on a lot of the subtle things that make him and the other characters work or be tolerable.

edit: Also, why're we discussing this here?
We discuss anything in Toonami apparently when the show's not on

cntr

Banned
BlandHandyConch.gif

We discuss anything in Toonami apparently when the show's not on
That's silly.

Makes the series seem worse than it is when you talk about it out of context, too. Plus, as I said, it's mostly an issue because of the way the anime's being adapted.

Jarate

Banned
If it's not on Toonami, it's non-canon posting. Only Man-God can non-canon™ post.

I would just spoil talk if yopu're gonna talk about other shows personally, but non-saturday night Toonami thread is basically Battle Punchy Anime Thread, which is great cause it allows us too avoid the bad part of the anime fandom

Jarate

Banned
Hot Take real fast, I was perusing into the DBS thread where everyone was talking about how they wanted
The Female Saiyan
in the game...
Im starting to hate the large portion of anime nerds who will get pissed off at sexualizing characters, and then freak out and be like OMG STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER, IM TOTALLY NOT SEXUALIZING HER WHEN I POST A GIF OF HER BEING ANGRY OR PUNCHING SOMETHING. I understand you might be excited for a female Saiyan character, but guys, please stop it with the fucking worship of her character. It's just as creepy and cringey as every other form of waifuism out there. You are not shielded at all by the fact that you want to be physically dominated. That honestly makes it more creepy.

cntr

Banned
That is true.

I still feel awkward admitting I watch any anime and manga, even if I try to stick to the good stuff.

caliph95

Sins of anime fandom (some of which i'm guilty of but sometimes jokingly)
-Waifuism
-Overhype (remember the anime that was going to save anime, reddit basically became re:zero thread)

Jarate

Banned
Most "pretentious" anime fans tend to be loli and moe fans whose opinions is so devoid of any type of taste due to the fact that they derive pleasure from underage anime girls acting cute and showing off their body.

These people also tend to be the loudest and most vocal part of the anime fanbase. It's why anime curation is so hard, most of the people who enjoy watching and are passionate about anime have some of the worst taste on earth.

Im actually being a literal pretentious anime fan

cntr

Banned
Yeah, and moewaifu fans being so vocal makes everybody sane just go away. It's annoying. And isn't moe shit also unpopular in Japan? And the main reason studios go for it is because the moe crowd is willing to shell out money for expensive blu-rays so that they can fund everything else? So it's literally trash.

and yeah same

caliph95

lol we all are

I'm really selective and picky with my anime anyway and random at times so i avoid all those moe shows that became (or always was) half of anime

To be fair the biggest anime tends to be ones that have little or are tame in the moe stuff
It just the moe fans consistently shell out money so they get easy money pandering to them

cntr

Banned
I read a manga recently where one of the characters says "I watch a few anime, but I'm not really into moe stuff", which is...pretty much how any of us would phrase it.

so I guess Japan sees anime the same way we do?

Morlas

Hot Take real fast, I was perusing into the DBS thread where everyone was talking about how they wanted
The Female Saiyan
in the game...
Im starting to hate the large portion of anime nerds who will get pissed off at sexualizing characters, and then freak out and be like OMG STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER, IM TOTALLY NOT SEXUALIZING HER WHEN I POST A GIF OF HER BEING ANGRY OR PUNCHING SOMETHING. I understand you might be excited for a female Saiyan character, but guys, please stop it with the fucking worship of her character. It's just as creepy and cringey as every other form of waifuism out there. You are not shielded at all by the fact that you want to be physically dominated. That honestly makes it more creepy.
i can understand where you're coming from, but when it comes to
caulifla i just freaking love her personality, from the fact that she nerds out about super saiyan to the fact that she can't bring herself to really insult Kale and gets pissed off at Cabba when he does even though he was just trying to help.

i can understand where you're coming from, but when it comes to
caulifla i just freaking love her personality, from the fact that she nerds out about super saiyan to the fact that she can't bring herself to really insult Kale and gets pissed off at Cabba when he does even though he was just trying to help.
I think people nerd out about her cause she's actually fun to watch on screen and has a fun personality. It's perfectly fine to like her as long as she doesn't get rode into the ground like a particular character in the Boruto manga cause the mangaka wants to be a sleaze.

cntr

Banned
I think people nerd out about her cause she's actually fun to watch on screen and has a fun personality. It's perfectly fine to like her as long as she doesn't get rode into the ground like a particular character in the Boruto manga cause the mangaka wants to be a sleaze.
Oh yeah, so I've heard.

....yeahhhh I hope the Boruto anime doesn't get into that shit.

Seda

I know not all moe anime is like this but..

I feel that some of it treats young (sometimes really young) girls like you would treat a puppy dog instead of treating them like a human being. Things like "head pats" or "squeeing".

You know how when you see a puppy trying to act like a fully grown dog, trying to growl or bark, trying it's best to be fierce - but it just comes off as cute instead? Perhaps hard to describe, it's cute that a puppy is trying to act like an adult but isn't there yet? I kinda see moe anime in the same way, and sometimes find it actually a bit disrespectful to young women. A female friend of mine kinda detests it as well and would point to how many moe girls are clumsy or clutz, even often are portrayed with inwardly bowed knees like they can't even stand up straight. Like, it's cute to see a puppy dog in this sort of framing, but not human beings. I'm not sure that makes sense to anyone else. And of course it gets really weird when they start to get sexualized.

Speaking of just anime in general, I was recently playing a super niche anime JRPG
Caligula which is fucking terrible
and one of the characters talked about watching a shonen anime that aired at like midnight, none of the other characters knew what he was talking about and kind of poked fun at him for it. It's actually a bit interesting to see this kind of perspective on how some Japanese people might view anime even in a pretty anime-ass JRPG.

cntr

Banned
No yeah, I totally get what you mean. It's the main reason why moe is gross.

And yeah, it's pretty much an expression of Japanese social conservatism. The idea didn't come from nowhere.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
A while ago I wondered what would happen first. Toonami reaches the Greed Island arc of HxH, or Togashi returns from hiatus.
Turns out Togashi wins just in time.

cntr

Banned
A while ago I wondered what would happen first. Toonami reaches the Greed Island arc of HxH, or Togashi returns from hiatus.
Turns out Togashi wins just in time.
Kind of weird to realize that Yorknew's ending in a few weeks. It's faster paced than I remembered.

If I remember right, tonight's HxH is pretty good?

Morlas

ugh don't remind me, at least the anime seems to be sticking closer to Kishimoto's original designs and the art is better too.

caliph95

context please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom