• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morlas

Megas-XLR-gif-world.gif

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Megas XLR had Bruce Campbell hamming it up as a cross between MODOK and Ash from Evil Dead or maybe Elvis but still, it was great.

cp9vA8O.jpg

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Megas XLR was 6-7 years too early. Had it come out later, people would see it for the genius it is.

Raxus

It came towards the end of CN's decline and anime in general. Today it would almost be a natural fit in the block apart from the art style. It is a show custom made for Toonami.

Hot Take:

Megas XLR DMV episode is way better than DBZ's.

cntr

Banned
the Megas XLR guys should just make a new mecha series, even if they can't get Megas back

I'd also be satisfied with Genndy or someone doing it

Crocodile

I'm curious how a Mega XLR would have done if it was made for the first time today. Or how the art-style, characters, narratives, jokes/references, etc. would have been different. It kind of seems like a show the current Toonami would have commissioned from some studio in Japan no?

Also on a previous topic, I feel like it would be super easy to make an engaging One Punch Man video game. Lots of the character (Genos, Sonic, Tastumaki, etc.) have good moveset potential for a fighting game, action game, etc. The issue is only really with Saitama. He'd have to be a special or occasional cameo or something rather than playable in any sort of typical action/actiony game.

cntr

Banned
I thought May was annoying at first, but she turned out super great.

Random thought, it's kind of neat how the Xingese characters in FMA use actual Chinese names with Chinese pronunciations; a typical series would give their name by the Japanese equivalent instead.

I must admit the mangaka was pretty respectful with how she handled the Xingese characters. We all know they're Chinese, but she never looked down on them in any sort of way, they were all really well done. How can one not like the woman crushing on Alphonse? I can agree she was annoying at first, but luckily her character got expanded nicely.

cntr

Banned
In general the whole Amestris, Ishval, and Xing thing was handled very well, and very consistently. The worldbuilding was really good.

Arakawa's a cool author.

Morlas

pretty big genre shift but she's a good enough author to write any kind of story i think, also i wish we had gotten at least one more season of megas, instead of gotta get back to the past it's gotta get coop to the future....

megas_xlr_by_kuropop-d9cz3ey.gif

the future would be doomed

I can't wait for people to complain "BUT BATTLE OF Z HAD OVER 70 CHARACTERS, WHY DOESN'T THIS HAVE THAT MANY" the same way fans are whining that MvC Infinite doesn't have the 56 character roster that MvC2 had......despite the fact MvC2 was mainly recycling sprites from previous fighters .

Some Xenoverse Diehards are already complaining about this.

A big trap is that so many of the characters in Dragon Ball fight so similarly and have similar movesets. This isn't Jojo - its already going to be hard to make unique movesets. So hopefully they pay a lot of attention to moveset potential and not just popularity..
If they start including the movie villains and attacks, the game could have a really diverse move set. Not to mention a specific Super character that Toonami will reach in a couple of months.

I forget entirely what was Megas XLR overarching plotline?

I do agree that next to samurai jack, megas xlr is the next one in line to get a series ending season.

But Jack was able to transition to [AS] without any real change due to it already being an action show, how would Megas take a change to [AS] in such a scenario would occur?

I forget entirely what was Megas XLR overarching plotline?

I do agree that next to samurai jack, megas xlr is the next one in line to get a series ending season.

But Jack was able to transition to [AS] without any real change due to it already being an action show, how would Megas take a change to [AS] in such a scenario would occur?

The overarching plotline was that the robot was a super advanced weapon made in the future to fight against an evil alien empire and it was accidentally sent to the past where it fights evil aliens.

XLR transitioning to AS would probably have more violence and risqué humor. I fear it could get obnoxious.

Ray Down

Banned
Also Silver Spoon did something very few shonen series do.

Haciken and Mikage kissed and got together not in the final chapter! No dumb shit shit bait and the development was clearly going that unlike some how some shippers push romance.

The overarching plotline was that the robot was a super advanced weapon made in the future to fight against an evil alien empire and it was accidentally sent to the past where it fights evil aliens.

XLR transitioning to AS would probably have more violence and risqué humor. I fear it could get obnoxious.

Sorta how when Ren and Stimpy came back.

Only two issues with Silver Spoon is that its been stuck in a hiatus limbo for the past few years; and that no one in North America has picked up the damn license for the manga...GIVE IT TO ME!.

cntr

Banned
Megas XLR got written off, so I don't think it'll ever be back.

Haciken and Mikage kissed and got together not in the final chapter! No dumb shit shit bait and the development was clearly going that unlike some how some shippers push romance.

Wow, really? Alright, that got pushed right up my reading list.

Ray Down

Banned
Wow, really? Alright, that got pushed right up my reading list.

Yep, and again
the romance didn't ruin any discussion of the series like shipping tends to do, Imperial Bishop will agree with me on this with regards to this chapter of OP.

Only two issues with Silver Spoon is that its been stuck in a hiatus limbo for the past few years; and that no one in North America has picked up the damn license for the manga...GIVE IT TO ME!.

It really sucks but its better then when Arakawa was taking care of her sick family member, and yeah why doesn't Crunchyroll carry it even though the release Weekly Shonen Sunday chapters

cntr

Banned
Yep, and again
the romance didn't ruin any discussion of the series like shipping tends to do, Imperial Bishop will agree with me on this with regards to this chapter of OP.
Nice. I like romance, but I don't like stupid romance, so sounds great.

Didn't they say the same thing about Jack?
They considered writing off Jack but never went through with it, but Megas XLR (and Symbionic Titan) were actually written off. So there's no chance of them ever coming back on TV.

Seda

Jack was never written off. IGPX was, though some stipulation that allowed it to return. Perhaps its international production.

Raxus

Yeah, her fingerprints are all over the manga even if it isn't a shounen mold. Cast is real fun.

Seda

I don't know much about Silver Spoon, but in general it's nice to see actual relationships in narrative and not just have "hooking up" be the finish line.

Silver Spoon's Valentine's Day chapter was probably the funniest thing I've ever read in a manga.

Silver_Spoon.png

They also came up with a pretty realistic and understandable reason why they didn't become a couple sooner.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Maybe I should check out Silver Spoon one of these days....

Also, legit question. Unicorn: possibly the worst show we've gotten this year? I mean, I know it's going up against Tokyo Ghoul, but at least TG is making me laugh with how bad it is, but Unicorn just seems to drain all the energy from us with how boring it is.

Maybe I should check out Silver Spoon one of these days....

Also, legit question. Unicorn: possibly the worst show we've gotten this year? I mean, I know it's going up against Tokyo Ghoul, but at least TG is making me laugh with how bad it is, but Unicorn just seems to drain all the energy from us with how boring it is.

Does Sand Whale and Me count?

Raxus

Does Sand Whale and Me count?

It was way too brief to stay mad at that series and I HATED that series when it was airing.

Unicorn is probably the biggest loser right now but Tokyo Ghoul will be strong competition. Downsides aside it has actually been a pretty great Toonami year with JoJo, Jack, AoT Season 2 and now Lupin. Just need MHA and Mob Psycho to squeeze in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom