• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
No, because it has to be a soul, Rei from what I understand does not have a soul and if she does it's probably a fragment of Yui's or something. I have seen theories that say it's Ritsuko's mother inside that thing. The dummy plug system barely seemed to work and Unit 0 went berserk far too often for it to be a competent test bed for the system.

Ritsuko's mom is the magi computer, can't be her.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The Magi is a algorithm based on numerous aspects of her mom, even still there is no soul housed in it. Eva's are soul based.

Her brain is literally part of the computer. There's no way the Eva would have been able to absorb her if she had put her brain in the computer.

Her brain is literally part of the computer. There's no way the Eva would have been able to absorb her if she had put her brain in the computer.
I guess, did say it was a theory. Still doesn't answer the question of who is inside the damn thing. Unless it's just some random intern.

Toonami should air Madoka Magica. That'd be a fun group watch lol

I think people forget that Eva was supposed to be a total deconstruction in all senses of the mecha genre. Shinji was how a kid would react to being asked by his cold abusive absentee father to save what's left of the human race from the most insane monsters imaginable while piloting a giant living killing machine that might be possessed by the spirit of his mother.

I wouldn't exactly call it a deconstruction since Eva technically didn't examine tropes that much differently than the original UC Gundam series did. It's more of "character study" set in the Mecha Genre.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Madoka would do nicely, but I think one of the issues is getting the audience past the first 2 or 3 episodes to ensure they know it's not just another "magical girl show aimed for tweens". I fear some would whine at Demarco that they were "mislead" based on the way Toonami would use the footage to make a promo.

Mizerman

Madoka would do nicely, but I think one of the issues is getting the audience past the first 2 or 3 episodes to ensure they know it's not just another "magical girl show aimed for tweens". I fear some would whine at Demarco that they were "mislead" based on the way Toonami would use the footage to make a promo.

That would be likely.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just regular dimming due to the sudden bright lights. Not due to censorship or anything.

Wait is this why Gundam 00 dimmed during certain battle shots back in the day? That shit drove me up a wall and I had no idea why it was happening. I was convinced it was either my eyes or an animation goof.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
They aired NGE for giant robot week. The first two episodes on TOONAMI.

Then they aired NGE on Adult Swim like a decade after it came out. Still did pretty damn well!

Hmmm I vaguely remember NGE on AS in the early 2000s. Was it a fever dream?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Speaking of Eva has anyone here seen Bokurano, I think its a great series and a better version of Eva

I was on TV tropes for this the other day, possibly because someone mentioned Gundam ZZ or something "Kill Em All" and it's by the same guy. Also did Narutaru.

I've seen none of these things but they all sound so wonderfully bleak and depressing I've added them to my watch list.

I also added Card Captor Sakura to the same list for unrelated reasons.

Fwiw I have seen Bokurano's opening and it's great. Uninstall, uninstall!

Yeah, it was on from late 2005 to early 2006.

Nice, glad to know I'm not crazy.

cntr

Banned
You'll need to watch the original Gundam and Zeta to watch ZZ.

...also the entire first half of ZZ is a goof fest. All three of them are pretty dumb.

(I'd read Bokurano by the way, I've heard very little good about the anime.)

uYTxj17.png

Wait is this why Gundam 00 dimmed during certain battle shots back in the day? That shit drove me up a wall and I had no idea why it was happening. I was convinced it was either my eyes or an animation goof.

It wouldn't surprise me. Gundam 00 was a pretty action packed show.

To give a good example of dimming, look at this clip of season 2 of My Hero Academia. Notice how all the sudden the color gets drained out? Believe it or not that's a pretty light example. Look at this other scene from the same episode.

My Hero Academia gets it particularly rough because it airs during the day, unlike most anime.

Hmmm, trying to decide between starting Nier Automata or Resident Evil 7.

Did the original broadcast of HxH have dimming too? It also aired during the day.

Wouldn't surprise me, especially since it aired during the day, but I can't find anything that says for certain.

Ray Down

Banned
That section of the game was a real slog for me

Its been 6 hours for me....

Doesn't help the next target is weak, then again then been weaker since Kamoshida.

Or the fact for a couple a days I can't raise my stats due to story stuff so I can advance some SL.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hmmm, trying to decide between starting Nier Automata or Resident Evil 7.
Nier Automata is my vote, though I've heard RE7 was rather good.

Meanwhile, I'm debating what I should play after Persona 5. Get Yooka Laylee or work on some backlog item like Psychonauts.

Moaradin

I thought all the targets were weak. Kamoshida was pretty one-dimensional as well, but he was effective and more importantly, he's a good entry level villain. The game does a good job of making you hate his guts unlike all the other targets, in my opinion.

Palace 4 was probably my favorite tbh, and that's because it changed things up dramatically. Palace 5 going back to the same old formula probably made the build up more of a slog for me.

Seda

I need to catch up on releases this year, but I still have a move and a new job to settle into first. So far Trails 3rd is my favorite (I think it's notably better than FC&SC) although I need to finish it myself. I basically watched it start to finish.

I honestly wasn't a big fan of the original Nier largely because I felt it had no subtlety whatsoever, but I have a feeling I'll like Automata considerably more.

Persona 5..... I probably won't be too hot on it, lol.

Also really curious in new old Fire Emblem.

I have no idea if Zelda will be my jam.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Bokurano, eh...that was done by the same guy who made Shadow Star Narutaru, no...?
...Haahaha..
..ha! :D
Wait, seriously? Now I might check it out. It's a shame it was so damn hard to finish reading Narutaru because Dark Horse stop publishing the manga around the same time the anime ended because they realized HOLY SHIT, THIS ISN'T WHAT WE THOUGHT THE SERIES WAS GONNA GO.

I thought all the targets were weak. Kamoshida was pretty one-dimensional as well, but he was effective and more importantly, he's a good entry level villain. The game does a good job of making you hate his guts unlike all the other targets, in my opinion.

Palace 4 was probably my favorite tbh, and that's because it changed things up dramatically. Palace 5 going back to the same old formula probably made the build up more of a slog for me.
But the guy for Haru's dungeon is a piece of shit. Sold his daughter like a fucking candy bar to a cat beater.

Moaradin

Everyone you target is a piece of shit. The main problem is that none of them are interesting. They're all generic ass evil villains. Kamoshida isn't much better in that regard, but at least the game set him up pretty well.

Ok yeah that complaint does make more sense then. They're all pieces of shit, but they're just pretty random, there's no lead up or anything. So far I think the only interesting one has been Futaba's.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It wouldn't surprise me. Gundam 00 was a pretty action packed show.

To give a good example of dimming, look at this clip of season 2 of My Hero Academia. Notice how all the sudden the color gets drained out? Believe it or not that's a pretty light example. Look at this other scene from the same episode.

My Hero Academia gets it particularly rough because it airs during the day, unlike most anime.

That's EXACTLY what it was. And it was always during the coolest moments! Ugh I hated that. :(

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Its funny we were just speaking about Hunter X Hunter being on hiatus so much and there is now a rumor the manga returns in June along with the latest volume release like always.

Raxus

I have no idea if Zelda will be my jam.

While I can't make promises on the other games I know for a fact Zelda will be your jam. It is jam o' clock. Peanut Butter yo' jam. It is a slam yo' jam. Jimmy yo' jams. Jammy whammy ding dong.

cntr

Banned
How many chapters are in a volume/tankobon?
A volume is usually around 180 pages, so approximately 10 chapters of a weekly manga.

But the exact number depends on chapter length, what's a good endpoint, and what kind of release it is, and all that kind of stuff.

HStallion

I actually took a break from BotW on the Wii U but I'm not a huge fan of a lot of sandbox games, especially open world ones. I totally respect the game though and what they set out to do but I won't lie and say a lot of the moment to moment gameplay doesn't really float my boat even if the overarching game wide systems are really well done and interact in some cool ways.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Thanks guys. I'd be OK with Togashi doing 10 chapters a year tbh. That seems like a good amount of content...

I took a break from BotW after I had beaten all four beasts because there's so much left I want to do that I got paralyzed lol.

HStallion

I can't wait to see how [current HxH manga spoilers]
Kurapika takes on powerful Nen users that aren't the Spiders

cntr

Banned
He usually aims to get enough chapters out to complete a volume, but I remember he once went on a hiatus one chapter short, and we had to wait more than a year for that one chapter to come out and the volume release to happen.

Ray Down

Banned
Some volumes can be longer due to the author asking for more space.

I believe all of Itachi vs Sasuke is 1 volume, despite going past the normal volume limit.

cntr

Banned
I know Akame ga Kill usually had 200 pages a volume because it had longer chapters, and 4-panel comics like Azumanga Daioh have 140 pages because they don't have chapters. Recently some of the big manga like Jojo and Dragonball have been getting releases with 15 chapters a volume, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom