• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I dropped it three episodes ago. So I saw some of the crazy shit kicking off.

That said, and I mean this when I say this, words can't express how boring Hunter X Hunter feels to me. There's literally nothing about the show that grabs me.

You lasted almost 50 episodes thats pretty damn impressive.

cntr

Banned
Well, in the Gunbuster universe, faster-than-light travel causes extreme time dilation, so most of the story is about things like spending a few months in space means you miss literal decades back on Earth.

It's that kind of weird.

edit: And oh yeah, I totally forgot about the tennis stuff.

Morlas

wow naruto spoilers
The naruhina salt mines from back when the manga ended are some of the most deliciously butthurt reactions to anything i've ever seen.

Actually I dropped it three episodes ago. So I saw some of the crazy shit kicking off.

That said, and I mean this when I say this, words can't express how boring Hunter X Hunter feels to me. There's literally nothing about the show that grabs me.

You dropped HxH during the best arc?

svz00Rg.gif

Just got out of the GRE. Scored in the 150s in both sections, which looks like the average for most scores, so getting into Grad School shouldn't be too hard.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I want a Project X Zone-style Jump RPG. Bonus points if they do some SRW-style plot rewrites.
.....damn it, now I want this, but with different Shonen magazines. I'm sure you could easily fill the roster with just SJ characters, but I'm reminded of that Konami fighter on PSP, Sunday VS Magazine: Shūketsu! Chōjō Daikessen, which had characters from Fairy Tail, Inuyasha, Cromartie High, Air Gear, Hayate the Combat Butler, Kekkaishi, Ushio & Tora, Negima, Fighting no Ippo, Cyborg 009, & a ton of others as helpers, I think.

..........or just gimme Project X Zone 3 on Switch with even more Nintendo characters like Link & Marth teaming up.

Congrats. How was it? I'm going on Monday.

Not quite as bad as I was expecting. Math sections contained a lot of Algebra and Geometry-level math. Reading and writing was about what you'd dealt with in the SAT, a lot of "which terms best fit into the sentence."

You get a single 10-minute break after the first 3 sections.

Seda

I don't remember the scores I got on the GRE, but I remember I actually did worst at "science" and best at writing.

I now have a PhD in a science field

wtzgU.gif

Mizerman

Not quite as bad as I was expecting. Math sections contained a lot of Algebra and Geometry-level math. Reading and writing was about what you'd dealt with in the SAT, a lot of "which terms best fit into the sentence."

You get a single 10-minute break after the first 3 sections.

Whew. Math was never my strongest point, even to this day. At least you managed to get that out of the way.

does Kishimoto ever manage to come up with good character designs again or have we pretty much reached the point where he's permanently fresh out

Some of the designs in Boruto are okay. Some of them look worse than actual filler characters in the show. There's this huge divide in quality. I have no idea why
Anko
got fat at the end of Naruto.

One of the more curious changes is how
Shino
adopts what I can only describe as a knockoff of Geordi's visor. Bear in mind, said character has no eye powers at all.

Some of the designs in Boruto are okay. Some of them look worse than actual filler characters in the show. There's this huge divide in quality. I have no idea why
Anko
got fat at the end of Naruto.

One of the more curious changes is how
Shino
adopts what I can only describe as a knockoff of Geordi's visor. Bear in mind, said character has no eye powers at all.
She got fat cause she likes chocolate. Oh yeah you guys haven't seen peak Jojo bullshit yet. Part 2 seems down right logical compared to what I'm currently reading.

Whew. Math was never my strongest point, even to this day. At least you managed to get that out of the way.

Yeah, it's honestly a big relief now that I know I shouldn't have to worry about this anymore. I'm aiming to go to Library School as well and I'm already working at the campus I plan to do Grad School at, so since my scores were pretty good, getting admitted should not be that hard.

I'm actually jealous of Oda's ability to keep coming up with new character designs. How does one do that consistently for 20 years? I know he's a heavy smoker so maybe it's in the pot.

You know I'm re reading akame ga kill and I'm wondering why the members of night raid don't wear masks, I mean should't be a good thing if your enemies don't know what you look like

Morlas

oh that arc....i mostly left it on mute while i watched youtube videos....also man god is right the 'filler hell' filler isn't all that bad, it has some good episodes and they're not long boring arcs that drag on for 30 episodes.

oh that arc....i mostly left it on mute while i watched youtube videos....also man god is right the 'filler hell' filler isn't all that bad, it has some good episodes and they're not long boring arcs that drag on for 30 episodes.

If we're talking about regular Naruto filler block, I'd agree. The filler of the Naruto anime was better than Shippuden's in my experience. It doesn't help when some of Shippuden's filler rehashes stuff covered before the time skip just with slightly better animation.

Far as Fairy Tail goes, I ditched that long before much happened. The fan service got way too distracting to me and I heard about how certain things happen like Erza's hax (or haxes?) and all the "power of friendship to the extreme" nonsense that seemed worse than almost every other shonen I've read. It's sad, but predictable that this series did better than Rave Master, even if Rave Master wasn't the best thing in the world.

It was the same for Bleach. I never finished after Fullbring Arc and read only a bit of the final arc before calling it quits. It was pure "me wanting to finish this manga I've read a lot of," but Kubo got to be too much for me I guess.

I ended up finishing Naruto even when that was declining far as the manga goes, but nothing in Naruto got to me too much far as making me angry and wanting to quit until some of the things in the final arc. I definitely agree that after the Pain/Pein Arc that the series took a dive in quality big time though...

I wish I could get all the Rave Master volumes at a reasonable price. Or cheap ones that don't have any wear and tear.

Goddamn Fairy Tail is so easy to come by. I'm still reading it though cause the current arc is seriously, literally, without any hyperbole, the absolute worst written and shockingly incompetent story I've ever read. Of any story. In anything. Ever.

I'm not saying it's the most offensive or anything like that but from a technical level everything is done wrong. The unintimidating final villain group that got half it's members clowned and defeated in the first part of the arc only for them to be brought back (with three of them dead so that fake versions of them had to be made in order to complete the set) and then have them get defeated again even quicker, some off-screen, while the ones who weren't defeated yet get clowned soon after.

And then the two strongest get super rushed "sentimental" backstories strapped to them right before both of them commit suicide one right after the other in stories not at all connected to one another because the author made them too strong to reasonable have the heroes defeat them.

One was so strong that he was about to blow up the entire planet with his power... but then he sees his ghost mommy and remembers how he wanted to hug her and then kills himself by turning into magic particles for no reason. None of the heroes ever hurt him and he had no reason to do it. He just did cause he was too strong and Hiro didn't know what to do.

And then there's shit like Erza getting every single bone in her body broken with one swipe from her evil mom who also can turn into a dragon. Then Erza's mom summons a METEOR FROM SPACE to kill everyone but then Erza launches herself into the air with her arm that isn't broken and destroys it with one swing despite all her other bones being broken. Then while still falling from the sky after destroying that meteor she manages to slash her Dragon mom across her body to get her out of that form. And then when that still doesn't take her out, she headbutts her. And when that doesn't work either, Erza's mom stabs herself and dies because she remembers actually loving Erza when Erza was an ugly potato baby that she abandoned on the doorstep of a village.

And then there's the overly complicated retconned backstory that doesn't make any sense with all these plotholes and shit. Hiro even admitted at the end of one of his volumes that he makes shit up as he goes along, often answering questions from fans about things that don't make sense by saying "I forgot" or "I originally planned for this to happen but then I scrapped that idea".

Things that were set up had no pay off or if they are given a pay-off they're handwaved in a panel or two as something that didn't really matter because he admittedly gets bored very quickly and wants to move onto something else because he can't commit to an idea.

It's fun following it. I'll probably never see anything this functionally broken ever in my life. Nothing we've watched on Toonami is this immensely broken.

I want to make a video series about how bad this series gets.

caliph95

I wish I could get all the Rave Master volumes at a reasonable price. Or cheap ones that don't have any wear and tear.

Goddamn Fairy Tail is so easy to come by. I'm still reading it though cause the current arc is seriously, literally, without any hyperbole, the absolute worst written and shockingly incompetent story I've ever read. Of any story. In anything. Ever.

I'm not saying it's the most offensive or anything like that but from a technical level everything is done wrong. The unintimidating final villain group that got half it's members clowned and defeated in the first part of the arc only for them to be brought back (with three of them dead so that fake versions of them had to be made in order to complete the set) and then have them get defeated again even quicker, some off-screen, while the ones who weren't defeated yet get clowned soon after.

And then the two strongest get super rushed "sentimental" backstories strapped to them right before both of them commit suicide one right after the other in stories not at all connected to one another because the author made them too strong to reasonable have the heroes defeat them.

One was so strong that he was about to blow up the entire planet with his power... but then he sees his ghost mommy and remembers how he wanted to hug her and then kills himself by turning into magic particles for no reason. None of the heroes ever hurt him and he had no reason to do it. He just did cause he was too strong and Hiro didn't know what to do.

And then there's shit like Erza getting every single bone in her body broken with one swipe from her evil mom who also can turn into a dragon. Then Erza's mom summons a METEOR FROM SPACE to kill everyone but then Erza launches herself into the air with her arm that isn't broken and destroys it with one swing despite all her other bones being broken. Then while still falling from the sky after destroying that meteor she manages to slash her Dragon mom across her body to get her out of that form. And then when that still doesn't take her out, she headbutts her. And when that doesn't work either, Erza's mom stabs herself and dies because she remembers actually loving Erza when Erza was an ugly potato baby that she abandoned on the doorstep of a village.

And then there's the overly complicated retconned backstory that doesn't make any sense with all these plotholes and shit. Hiro even admitted at the end of one of his volumes that he makes shit up as he goes along, often answering questions from fans about things that don't make sense by saying "I forgot" or "I originally planned for this to happen but then I scrapped that idea".

Things that were set up had no pay off or if they are given a pay-off they're handwaved in a panel or two as something that didn't really matter because he admittedly gets bored very quickly and wants to move onto something else because he can't commit to an idea.

It's fun following it. I'll probably never see anything this functionally broken ever in my life. Nothing we've watched on Toonami is this immensely broken.

I want to make a video series about how bad this series gets.
Go ahead

The Spriggan 12 are among the worse group of final villains ever, for people who are supposed to be the strongest Wizards in the world so strong that one of them can beat the the entire Wizard Saints (which stop meaning much honestly) and few of them can screw entire countries and cities, they get defeated way too easily with a few of them being to complete bullshit after Hiro hype them up to be basically unbeatable until an asspull or such. For sch supposedly powerful guys they way too non-intimidating

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's a shame because Rave Master is actually pretty good. From the look of it Hiro gave himself far too much freedom when it comes to Fairy Tail. Rave had specific plot points that had to be hit no matter what else went on and as a result everything had to be written around those points. The Rave stones needed to be collected, Haru needed to unlock all 10 forms of his sword, Ellie had to get her memories back, the bad guy had to be beaten in the end. No matter what he did it had to touch on one of those points, as such the series was far more focused and the stories were generally better told.

With Fairy Tail, there aren't really any plot points like the Rave stones or the ten-form sword. As a result the series as a whole is largely unfocused and meanders quite a bit. This is made worse by the ending, which doesn't pack the same punch as Rave because we haven't been building the road there brick by brick since chapter one.

Also, for someone who writes by the seat of their pants, the plot structure in Rave would force at least a small amount of forward planning. With Fairy Tail he generally has an idea for an arc and does it, with Rave it had to be justified somehow by tying it into one of the above plot points. He just gave himself far too much freedom to do whatever he wanted. For someone like Togashi, who generally plots his stories out meticulously, that's a good thing, but for Hiro it was a detriment.

What I'm saying is he needs to set himself up more like Rave Master next time and have those solid markers he has to hit in every arc.

caliph95

some writers tend to better when they have limits placed on either by themselves and sometimes by someone, it keeps them from going too bonkers and dumb in a bad way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom