• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Kingdom Hearts first was announced years ago, I could not believe it.

I thought it was going to be silly when I first heard about it. A game where you fight with a key and meet Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy and other characters from Disney films?
Sounds weird.

Then I played it and loved the hell out of it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
KH was the game to convince me to get a PS2 (I originally borrowed my best friend's PS2 while he borrowed my Dreamcast) & made me realize all the stuff I was missing on Sony consoles, despite playing a PS1 via baby sitter when I was even younger.

Now I just wish I was able to convince myself to replay through the HD versions.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Simple and Clean Orchestra >>>> everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGidvt4NTPI

Search your feelings. You know this to be true.

I still go back to this DDD trailer which uses it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocPs3aSaCcI

So hype (plus it starts with Sanctuary too!) One of the best trailers ever (minus the random part with gameplay footage in the middle.)

(For the record, I've only played Chain of Memories GBA and DDD, but intend to eventually play the whole series... somehow.)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*starts Konosuba S2* Oh god, this is off to an even better start.

Also, when were people complaining that the 2nd season had "bad" animation? If anything, it allows it to be more expressive & adds to the humor when characters give off funny facial reactions because it isn't trying to constantly stay on-model & be style over substance like SAO.

So I've been reading through the Dragon Ball manga and Viz's translation is...really fucking bad?

For the first two chapters Bulma and Goku are both written with some kind of Southern-ish accent that gets gradually toned down over time, and even then the characters still use some really odd phrases while the phonetic rendering of how they're speaking is really overdone? Like, every character seems on the knife's edge of using the phrase "aw shucks" every few sentences.

Bulma has used the phrase "take a gander" and everyone insists on using the word "undies" over and over again.

Some other stuff:

Bulma: *snort* What a goon! Prob'ly thinks wearing that phony tail makes him look like one happenin' dude!

Goku: Ha! Dummy! Stupid! Y'think YOU can hurt me?! With little owchies like that?! HAH!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I was just reminded of one of my favorite shows from childhood.

e2010fdbfe2e098209e6aba424267ef2.jpg

Zoids: Chaotic Century/Guardian Force was one of the best action anime on Cartoon Network. Even when they bumped it to 6am in the morning, it was still worth getting up to see. It was a multilayered story that is simple enough on the outside, but wove in themes of war, politics, betrayal paired with cool battle scenes and strong, memorable characters.

More people should give it a shot (and give a hard pass to the rest of the Zoids shows.)

It's a shame that it's so underappreciated, and that the rest of the Zoids shows were so trash. It could have been a more kid-oriented version of Gundam for a new generation IMO.

Moaradin

So I've been reading through the Dragon Ball manga and Viz's translation is...really fucking bad?

For the first two chapters Bulma and Goku are both written with some kind of Southern-ish accent that gets gradually toned down over time, and even then the characters still use some really odd phrases while the phonetic rendering of how they're speaking is really overdone? Like, every character seems on the knife's edge of using the phrase "aw shucks" every few sentences.

Bulma has used the phrase "take a gander" and everyone insists on using the word "undies" over and over again.

Some other stuff:

Bulma: *snort* What a goon! Prob'ly thinks wearing that phony tail makes him look like one happenin' dude!

Goku: Ha! Dummy! Stupid! Y'think YOU can hurt me?! With little owchies like that?! HAH!

I mean, it's either that or this:

Duv3uKC.png

Don't have many great options when it comes to Dragon Ball translations.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

Some other stuff:

What's the age rating on the version you're reading? My only guess is maybe they tried to tone the series down in order to make it more kid friendly/appeal to a bigger demographic, as I recall the anime version got some stuff censored, though it was mainly Goku's nudity & a few instances with Bulma.

If it's a T or Older Teen rating, though, then I've got no idea & that just seems silly they'd resort to such silly words.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Basically Viz before mid 2000's did awful jobs on most of their US Manga releases. So if you got popular before then, too bad.

I think early One Piece has a certain charm though.

Also I'll overlook any major problems with dragonball because of how strong the line art is. Say what you will about Toriyama but the man is a master of drawing in black and white. Everything looks so sharp and distinct. The black jumps off of the page (or kindle!)

I remember watching Zoids once and awhile.

I remember it being alright. Remember the seasons that focused on actual war being surprisingly violent for a kid's show.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Zoids: Chaotic Century/Guardian Force was one of the best action anime on Cartoon Network. Even when they bumped it to 6am in the morning, it was still worth getting up to see. It was a multilayered story that is simple enough on the outside, but wove in themes of war, politics, betrayal paired with cool battle scenes and strong, memorable characters.

More people should give it a shot (and give a hard pass to the rest of the Zoids shows.)

It's a shame that it's so underappreciated, and that the rest of the Zoids shows were so trash. It could have been a more kid-oriented version of Gundam for a new generation IMO.

I really liked that show and would get up to watch it. It was a better Gundam show than most (if not all) Gundam shows.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Domon Kasshu is the voice of the sidekick. The alien girl has the same VA as Allenby. The main villain is voiced by the final villain of G Gundam.

I don't think Master Asia shows up though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Man I just realized I've seen that DDD trailer so much that I got it MEMORIZED.

Saw it at least a hundred times when it was in Japanese as well.

God that game disappointed me so. I'm pretty sure I never completed it.

Mizerman

I thought it was going to be silly when I first heard about it. A game where you fight with a key and meet Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy and other characters from Disney films?
Sounds weird.

Then I played it and loved the hell out of it.

Yeah, I thought it was some kinda hoax.

Domon Kasshu is the voice of the sidekick. The alien girl has the same VA as Allenby. The main villain is voiced by the final villain of G Gundam.

He does. He voiced the main Zoid of the main character.

Basically Viz before mid 2000's did awful jobs on most of their US Manga releases. So if you got popular before then, too bad.

I think early One Piece has a certain charm though.

Also I'll overlook any major problems with dragonball because of how strong the line art is. Say what you will about Toriyama but the man is a master of drawing in black and white. Everything looks so sharp and distinct. The black jumps off of the page (or kindle!)

yeah the art is GREAT but man it's stuff like this that makes me want to not buy manga apart from like the usual storage considerations

What's the age rating on the version you're reading? My only guess is maybe they tried to tone the series down in order to make it more kid friendly/appeal to a bigger demographic, as I recall the anime version got some stuff censored, though it was mainly Goku's nudity & a few instances with Bulma.

If it's a T or Older Teen rating, though, then I've got no idea & that just seems silly they'd resort to such silly words.

it's T and they've got Goku's baby dick on like the ninth page so some translator decided he liked his own writing a little too much or something. also:

https://soundcloud.com/toonamishowdown/showdown011

"This week, we sink ships, create the 90s rap cinematic universe, wonder about Family Guy fans, go in-depth about Oreo and Kit-Kat flavors, realize that the Phantom Troupe is actually just the Straw Hat Pirates, avoid dangerous loogies, and examine the career of Jon Bernthal."

I remember there was one episode of Zoids, where this captured soldier was brought into an enemy base, and for some reason, he was brought to the command center of the base.A battle breaks out outside, and people kind of ignore the captured soldier. Said captured soldier then proceeds to run over and hit a giant self-destruct button, blowing up the entire base.

It was at that moment that child me realized self-destruct buttons don't make any sense.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Who was Raven? He had the best VA IMO.

Speaking of, Raven was a much better Sasuke than Sasuke.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Man I just realized I've seen that DDD trailer so much that I got it MEMORIZED.

Saw it at least a hundred times when it was in Japanese as well.

God that game disappointed me so. I'm pretty sure I never completed it.

SAME

We really are the same person lol.

I actually thought the game itself was pretty good, but yeah I never finished it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Van is DTL's favorite boy who did nothing wrong, Shinn Asuka.

Raven is Chaa, a character of the week in G Gundam. He did very little else.

Moonbay is Nastasha, Young Raine, and Bunny.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The Birth of the Genobreaker

Still hype after all these years. Plus that one episode that shows it just RECKING the entire crew after all their meticulous plans was soooooo good.

"He can fire a charged particle beam from the air?!?"

If it isn't obvious, the Genobreaker is my favorite Zoid and possibly my favorite "mecha" design ever.

So just throwing this out there for people who like Alan Wake.
Alan_Wake_Game_Cover.jpg

If you like Alan Wake, but don't own it, and got a PC that can run it, buy it this weekend. Apparently because music licenses are expiring, Alan Wake will be removed from digital stores on the 15th. The good news it'll be getting a heavy discount on Steam. (90% off.)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So just throwing this out there for people who like Alan Wake.
Alan_Wake_Game_Cover.jpg

If you like Alan Wake, but don't own it, and got a PC that can run it, buy it this weekend. Apparently because music licenses are expiring, Alan Wake will be removed from digital stores on the 15th. The good news it'll be getting a heavy discount on Steam. (90% off.)

90% off? That's like $6!

Seriously, the game is worth it at triple that.

Ah, so much nostalgia I have for this! I loved this when I was kid and mainly watched it when it was on Toonami.

Moaradin

https://soundcloud.com/toonamishowdown/showdown011

"This week, we sink ships, create the 90s rap cinematic universe, wonder about Family Guy fans, go in-depth about Oreo and Kit-Kat flavors, realize that the Phantom Troupe is actually just the Straw Hat Pirates, avoid dangerous loogies, and examine the career of Jon Bernthal."

Regarding Attack on Titan: They actually didn't cut anything. iirc they moved some scenes around, and the scene that you guys were talking about that was "cut" is actually part of the next episode.

Raxus

so if aku can sent people to the future, why didn't he send jack so far into the future where humanity as a whole was extinct & any technology that might help make time travel possible wouldn't exist, therefore ensuring jack wouldn't be able to survive, let alone return to fight him again?

why not send him to the year 1,000,000,000, when the earth basically looks like this?
He was about to be killed by Jack so I doubt he had much time to think about when to send him.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Just finished the first Danganronpa game. Maaan that was a kind of messed up ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom