• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |NovDec15| It's Man God's world, we're just posting in it

Raxus

One Punch Man:

859846-seakingearth_super.gif

I'm sure we'll get both Jojo and One Punch Man on Toonami.

...Right after we get Soul Eater Brotherhood and another season of The Devil Is a Part-Timer!

BELIEVE IT!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
One Punch Man to be M&H's replacement because The Intruder is defeated by Saitama & TOM airs his show as thanks for saving his life.

ckohler

The bumps last night were really creepy and glitchy now that SARA is getting damaged. I liked it. Now, on to the reviews:

Dragon Ball Z: Kai - Delicious. We get to watch Goku toy with Freeza for a change. All his stalling would normally bother me but I do enjoy watching Freeza get frustrated. After all these battles, it seems Freeza has FINALLY decided to just blow up the planet which, in hindsight, would probably have saved him earlier. Regardless, this episode was EPIC! Rating: Awakened by Fury

Intruder II - I, like most everyone, was right that the Intruder turned out to be another TOM. I thought it would be TOM 4.0 not TOM 1.0 but close enough. Now we will probably learn why he's so pissed off (and maybe what happens to past TOMs). Rating: #runlikehell

Akame ga Kill - Endless internal monologues and unmotivated drama is the sign of a terrible show and this episode had it in SPADES! Every other line was a character explaining the situation to themselves. I will admit that I chuckled at the Dating Sim joke but everything else in the episode was trash. This was a worse beach episode than all of the island arc from Nadia combined. And now there's some foul mouthed dude who looks like a rip off of Scar from FMA. This show can't end soon enough. Rating: 'Scuse me, Bitch?

Parasyte - The goiter parasyte was great. They should have given him a name like Migi, though. His host was a dweeb with goofy looking rosy cheeks but at least he was a likable enough character. I'm glad the Mom parasyte is dead already and they didn't drag that out. It seems that all of the girls in the show have an endless thirst and magic radar for Shinichi which is a bit cringey, but this was otherwise a good episode. Rating: "Hey"

Michiko & Hatchin - I honestly stopped watching when they choked a guy to death by asphyxiation. What an endless downer of a show. Rating: Snuff

Naruto: Shippuden - "That Woman" is generic as fuck with her cliche "I'm evil" laughing. Ugh. She's exactly what I would expect from a dumb, filler villain. At least Kakashi Sensei was funny and the lighthearted moments were kinda fun even if we've already seen the same gag 100 times before. I'm kinda looking forward to watching the B-Team (with Hinata) doing something for a change but I don't have high hopes it'll be good. Rating: Here comes the choo-choo

One Piece - I knew the name of the ship already but didn't know how it got it. It's too bad all of the characters were talking because I couldn't hear what Franky actually wanted it to be called. Everyone is joking that they'll never get to Fishman Island, which isn't surprising, but I'm wondering... why are they trying to go there next anyway? Lastly, I did enjoy watching all the past characters (many I didn't even know) have their cameos. This show certainly has a fleshed out world. Rating: Coup de Burst!

KLL la KILL - Mako and her family are totally adorable and my favorite part of the show. I also liked how the Elite Four's final uniforms in the penultimate episode are based on Mako's Fight Club uniform with the same black and gold trim design. Rating: Sexy Underwear

Everyone is joking that they'll never get to Fishman Island, which isn't surprising, but I'm wondering... why are they trying to go there next anyway?

To travel on the Grand Line, you need to use Log Poses to get from island to island. When you stay on an island for long enough, the Log Pose will point you to the next island, and the Log Pose is pointing them toward Fishman Island.

To travel on the Grand Line, you need to use Log Poses to get from island to island. When you stay on an island for long enough, the Log Pose will point you to the next island, and the Log Pose is pointing them toward Fishman Island.

Furthermore, to get to the "New World" that is the second half of the Grand Line you have to pass through Fishman Island, no exceptions. Well, if you are a pirate that is. You can also go through Marejois but Pirates don't have that option.

Soulflarz

Banned

Why is that though instead of maps/normal compasses?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It gets even more complicated in the New World.

But Toei has good animation sometimes

Like really good actually. Their lows are really low, but some of their highs have some of my favorite animation cuts in anime

I'm not sure what matters more when it comes to getting quality animation, budget or having an animation director who knows what he or she is doing.

Toei does occasionally knock it out the park. The question I wonder is if that's due to them giving their shows a higher budget, or getting a better animation director for some episodes.

Moaradin

One Piece has been running constantly for over a decade. Some episodes are gonna look crap, and some will look great. It's only natural for a long running show like that.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Super S: Episode 160:

You know, if they had done more episodes like this, then maybe I would not have hated this season as much as I do. For example I do like that a sense of urgency exists in The Amazoness Quartet portion that was lacking before. Moreover, we have had episodes when the AQ attacking groups of people in bulk in order to find their quarry, which is something that they naturally should be doing since they are basically shooting from the dark anyway. It is maybe a minor touch but it is appreciated. Anyway, this episode pulls out a well worn trope but an effective one nonetheless as both our quirky miniboss squadron and the sailor guardians end up working side by side at Japnese culture event that basically serves as a debate ground for their philosophies and of course their dreams. Not exactly new information but I will take it over hearing about the pointless dreams of the victim of the week. Also, brownie points for calling out the goofiness of Tuxedo Mask's speech, even by the metrics of this show. Recommendation to watch.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Super S: Episode 161:

Queen Nehelenia, presumably as frustrated with the lack of anything that has happened for most of the season as I am has finally decided the time is right to start endgame for on particular reason. Though as it turns out she has a bit of an allergy to the light so she need to cast darkness cross the land in order to exist on Earth. Not the first time this has happened but nobody has done it with spiderwebs til now. We also actually get something resembling manga backstory as the Earth Kingdom finally becomes relevant again as Helios suddenly needs to find Mamoru and have him unlock the power of the Golden Crystal and this is what happens when you half adapt shit, it fits about as smoothly as sandpaper. Anyway, the upshot is that the Sailor Guardians find the location of their enemy and finally the identities of everybody is learned and that leads to a fracas between the AQ and the Scouts until the time of Ascension is nigh. Indeed, we must truly be near the end of the season if they are busting out this much sequential storytelling.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
One Piece has been running constantly for over a decade. Some episodes are gonna look crap, and some will look great. It's only natural for a long running show like that.

It's actually closer to 2 decades than one now. 16+ years and counting.

That's a friendly reminder for those of you that may have forgotten that the One Piece anime began in the 1990s. Or to put it another way, Toonami as a concept is only 4 months older than the One Piece manga.

This was the Toonami schedule when the One Piece manga began:
4:00 PM - Thundercats
4:30 PM - Cartoon Roulette
4:45 PM - Voltron
5:15 PM - Cartoon Roulette
5:30 PM - The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest

And just for fun, here's the Toonami schedule when the One Piece anime began:
4:00 PM - Sailor Moon
4:30 PM - ReBoot
5:00 PM - Dragon Ball Z
5:30 PM - Ronin Warriors

TOM 1.0 had just debuted 3 months earlier.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Goddamn that second schedule is strong as fuck. My cable company still didn't have Cartoon Network yet (I got it maybe six months before the funimation DBZ episodes premiered) but I know people who had it on other packages and was jealous as fuck. Tracking down various syndicated runs of Sailor Moon was hard, it kept jumping stations. Ronin Warriors had a pretty good run on my local WB affiliate but Reboot had been gone for years at that point. DBZ was also hard to find.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
What is Cartoon Roulette and why did they have it on twice a night? I didn't have cable till like the early 2000s.

Cartton Roulette was an American television series in which a number of Hanna Barbera owned catoon titles, as well as the 1940's Fleischer Superman cartoons, would be played at random. The series ran on Cartoon Network's newly created Toonami programming block from March 17, 1997 to March 6, 1998. Roulette also appeared on the Midnight Run from July 10, 1999 to March 4, 2000.

The titles shown included:

Birdman[1]
Galaxy Trio[1]
The Herculoids[1]
Space Ghost[1]
The Fleischer & Famous Superman Cartoons[1]

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Cartton Roulette was an American television series in which a number of Hanna Barbera owned catoon titles, as well as the 1940's Fleischer Superman cartoons, would be played at random. The series ran on Cartoon Network's newly created Toonami programming block from March 17, 1997 to March 6, 1998. Roulette also appeared on the Midnight Run from July 10, 1999 to March 4, 2000.

The titles shown included:

Birdman[1]
Galaxy Trio[1]
The Herculoids[1]
Space Ghost[1]
The Fleischer & Famous Superman Cartoons[1]

Which means it's also where "We won't be intimidated by criminal threats" comes from.

Top Bottom