• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |NovDec15| It's Man God's world, we're just posting in it

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
You're actually watching Glitter Force? Yeesh...
From what I'm hearing, it's a lot like the Digimon Xros Wars dub, in that it's somehow stuck in the 90's.

Though a part of me wants it to succeed so Saban can consider moving new Power Rangers episodes to Netflix instead of Nickelodeon and their awful "20 episodes a year" rule

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Why is everyone watching this Glitter Force?
Popular show in Japan finally gets English dub, I suppose.

Please disregard my previous post...

...I was inebriated by feelings of happiness.

It won't happen again.
This week is the exception, but Saturday is probably the one day I look forward to the most due to Toonami & hanging out here. Really makes me glad one of my days off work is on Toonami night so I can continue being part of this community. Probably would only get to live-watch the first two shows otherwise, & DVRing it wouldn't be the same now that I'm part of this group.

Me after seeing The Force Awakens in IMAX 3D

lIBiGRP.gif

IjcFWRc.gif

Raxus

This is some of the best DBZ has to off so I will definitely be there tomorrow. I may do some quests in Witcher 3 during breaks.

Puruzi

Banned
It bothers me that Glitter Force is the way people are first seeing Smile Precure.

Not because I dislike dubs, but because this dub changes things and removes episodes.

sucks

But dubs that change things are the best.

It's why 4kid's dub of One Piece is everyone's favorite!
Helmeppo_bedroht_Corby_(4Kids-Version).jpg

Look at that inventive weaponry right there!

Seda

I don't mind if a localization changes minor things if a direct translation would be more <confusing> to the audience than <faithful>, but a lot of the younger-skewing cartoons seem to go pretty overboard.

Glitter Force is something I never thought I would see in this age of anime and localization.

I actually wonder if Kishimoto told them where he plans to go with the series and they were just buying time until they could officially adapt stuff

Kishi did say he's done with Naruto after Boruto.

But the thing about these big shonen franchises is, it doesn't matter. The CEOs and executives will continue with or without you.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh man, I just realized April will also be airing the Ace Attorney anime. Spring season is gonna be rather good next year.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
April has Diamond is Unbreakable, My Hero Academia, and Ace Attorney.

Can it be April yet?
Seriously, it's been a while since I've been excited for a decent amount of shows airing in one season.

Should've nominated MHA for "most wanted show on Toonami" now that I think about it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Glitter Force is something I never thought I would see in this age of anime and localization.

Kishi did say he's done with Naruto after Boruto.

But the thing about these big shonen franchises is, it doesn't matter. The CEOs and executives will continue with or without you.

KISHI-SHI-SHI-SHI. Naruto is a zombie show. KISHI-SHI-SHI.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I don't mind if a localization changes minor things if a direct translation would be more <confusing> to the audience than <faithful>, but a lot of the younger-skewing cartoons seem to go pretty overboard.

Yo-Kai Watch seems to have a good balance.
It changes names and terms for kids, but it retains the charm (and darker aspects) of the original.

What is Glitter Force? I saw some of the VAs i follow on Twitter were talking about it but I assumed it was some sort of hashtag tie-in to Star Wars.

It's a dub of Pretty Cure, a crazy popular series in Japan.

Fun fact: Eiichiro Oda considers Pretty Cure the rival of One Piece as his daughters prefer it over his own work.

If you've seen the dub of Digimon Xros Wars (Digimon Fusion), then you'll have an idea of how bad it is. It doesn't help that they cut episodes too (Smile PreCure is 48 episodes, Glitter Force is 40).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Umm, paying to localize something/partially paying to get exclusive broadcast rights is absolutely contributing something.

That and the rest of the Netflix exclusive dubbed anime so far has really good dubs. This one, I've heard both that its terrible and that its pretty good.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Don't worry, it's been covered.
Oh man, now all I can think of is how we're going to get into a heated battle of choosing between Jojo, One Punch Man, & My Hero Academia.
inb4 Puruzi comment on disliking Jojo

& a bit late on this, but I'm surprised at how many people in here haven't seen Samurai Champloo. Least I know now to change my post behavior from "we're watching a rerun" to "act like this is the first time seeing this" for that show.

It bothers me that Glitter Force is the way people are first seeing Smile Precure.

Not because I dislike dubs, but because this dub changes things and removes episodes.

sucks
Yeah, I'm not a fan of when they remove episodes, which can result in losing big plot details (like Outlaw Star & the hot springs planet episode where Gene got a new caster shell), and if they change stuff that screws with the story (like 4Kids did with One Piece), then it makes things confusing when you try to do more research on the show and its original version, especially in this day & age of easily being able to view anime online not long after its Japanese broadcast.

Umm, paying to localize something/partially paying to get exclusive broadcast rights is absolutely contributing something.

That and the rest of the Netflix exclusive dubbed anime so far has really good dubs. This one, I've heard both that its terrible and that its pretty good.

Original implies they were responsible for its production.

It'd be ridiculous to call DBZ "A FUNIMATION ORIGINAL"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The hot springs episode is literally unairable though. The entire ending of Outlaw Star is rushed though so it never really bothered me that he got some new casters off camera.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The hot springs episode is literally unairable though. The entire ending of Outlaw Star is rushed though so it never really bothered me that he got some new casters off camera.
Fair enough, they probably couldn't edit around it back then, but again, by skipping that episode, you have no idea how Gene got that one type of caster shell.

I remember watching Pokemon & then we cut to the part where there was a giant field of Tauros, and they said Ash catched them, and as a kid, I was completely confused because I watched all the episodes and never recalled him doing that. Turned out years later, I found out they skipped an episode because of the use of a gun. At least with that Porygon episode with the seizures, it was self-contained so if you missed it, you wouldn't miss out on anything because it isn't brought up again.

Raxus

Apart from the nudity the episode was kinda funny IIRC. Either way it didn't bother me either he got some new casters off camera but I was wondering what the hell was the deal with the claw guy that did nothing (he is featured in the hot springs episode).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think it's like DBZ only instead of Saiyans it's little girls and instead off kamehamehas they use girly magix

I think they have to transform before they fight, I honestly don't know I've tried to stay away but some stuff about it gets referenced in other manga/anime.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Now we know why Oda considers it a rival to One Piece, because he wants Toei to put more budget into his show.

Top Bottom