• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |NovDec15| It's Man God's world, we're just posting in it

bigkrev

H9prIDP.jpg

There were articles recently about "stuff you don't remember from the first Pokemon episode", and it mentions that Ash is 10 years old.

This is the first image of Ash I have ever seen where he actually looks like he's 10

Crocodile

I adore Valkyrie Profile but I have no desire to crowdfund.

Do you never crowfund? I mean that standpoint certainly isn't rare just curious. I just find it interesting because I've probably crowfunded more projects than games I've actually bought this year. I feel more and more like I'm turning to older games I missed or crowfudning projects for stuff I want to play than many new major releases nowadays. That's just me though. Maybe I'm getting old I dunno :p

Regiruler

Stupid browser mixing up threads.

Anyway, not sure if you guys saw the Twitter polls last night, but Adult Swim is running a bracket to deem the "ruler of anime."

Polls so far:
DBZ vs. One Piece - DBZ won
Cowboy Bebop vs. Ghost in the Shell - Bebop won
FMA vs. FMA Brotherhood - Brotherhood won
Evangelion vs. Gurren Lagann - Eva wins
Troll Bracket -> Tenchi Muyo! vs. something I can't remember with a GXP - Tenchi wins
Attack on Titan vs. Code Geass - AoT wins
Big O vs. Mobile Suit Gundam - Gundam is winning (actually a bit of a surprise there)
Inuyasha vs. Naruto - Naruto is leading but close
FLCL vs. Space Dandy - FLCL narrowly leads
Those are some good matchups.

I doubt that my laptop will be able to run Indivisible (or Them's Fightin' Herds for that matter) yet I donated to both because I knew that others would like to see the games be made.

I doubt that my laptop will be able to run Indivisible (or Them's Fightin' Herds for that matter) yet I donated to both because I knew that others would like to see the games be made.

Generally this is my view on crowd funding as well, I want to show support for games like this to be made

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Why does Ash have a butler now?

That's the Gym Leader Cilan, the Brock of Unova. Only he doesn't trip over his dick at every pretty girl he meets. He's no longer traveling with Ash as Gen V is over.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I've reached level 2,000 on the app.

therideneverends.jpeg

Edit: *sees someone on Twitter who's tweeted they've made it to level 8,000*

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME, THAT SHOULD NOT BE POSSIBLE

Mizerman

Okay, I love almost all of the shows, but for head to head...

Fuck Bebop
Absolutely FUCK EVA for standing the test of time!! Ugh, so ridiculously atrocious.
And I am so sorry I have to do this, as it hurts me more, ffffuck FLCL.

This is just...wrong. I can't even describe it, but it's just beyond incorrect.

I've reached level 2,000 on the app.

therideneverends.jpeg

Edit: *sees someone on Twitter who's tweeted they've made it to level 8,000*

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME, THAT SHOULD NOT BE POSSIBLE

I guess your power levels just wasn't up to par.

BatDan

I'm surprised there's no simuldub for OPM

It would also be a perfect Toonami show

Viz doesn't play that card.
Though I wouldn't be surprised if they fast-track a dub once the show ends. Any word on how many episodes?

We don't talk about Pokemon: Black and White.

At least the anime. The games were fine.

Black and White anime was terrible. Terrrrrible.

BatDan

We don't talk about Pokemon: Black and White.

At least the anime. The games were fine.

Black and White anime was terrible. Terrrrrible.

It started with some promise, mostly in "serious Team Rocket", but it shit the bed sooooo hard.
Hell, there were issues from the beginning with Pikachu losing to a newbie trainer. I know there was the whole Zekrom thing (that I don't recall ever getting addressed again) but come on!
Ash somehow regressed, forgetting basic things like "weaken a Pokemon before you try to catch it". Making rookie mistakes like only bringing a single Pokemon to fight Elena relying solely on the Palpitoad he barely uses to begin with.
Iris was way too annoying, and the writers knew how pointless she was when she got a rival that literally appeared out of nowhere. But then they're like "let's give her an OP Dragonite!"

The worst rival though wasn't the newbie Trip (who was almost Paul 2.0, and he was the worst of Sinnoh), no it was Cameron, who was somehow, SOMEHOW dumber than Ash. The fact Ash LOST to him... urggggh.

Then there was the awful Team Plasma arc, and the fucking pointless Decalore Islands. "Let's do the Orange Islands again, but not have a gym or anything interesting happen!"

BatDan

https://vimeo.com/143984064

Cause the opening for the new season is hype and apparently the xy anime was legit good. The diamond pearl anime was also legit good until maybe the last 2 episodes where they horribly fucked the ending to rush Ash off to Black & White.

Diamond Pearl was good when it didn't involve Paul.
Stuff like the Maylene fight, the Hunter J episodes, that stuff was good.
Then they introduced Tobias... that actually made me quit the anime for a while it was so bad.

Black and White Ash forgot everything. And Ash can dumb sometimes, it's funny sometimes. But B&W pushed it so hard.

I think the problem with B&W's story was that they were really banking on Team Plasma being a threatening villain, but then the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake happened, and they had to pull two huge episodes from cannon like the day before they were supposed to air.

Ash in XY is the perfect balance.
fe0f93b4e16f05caec4f483f5d28e1f9.gif

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I stopped playing (main entry) Pokemon games before it was cool.....as in when I was about 10-ish & I realized Gold/Silver/Crystal were just more of the same, but I have to capture even more useless monsters that I won't bother using.

At the very least, I'm kind of tempted by Pokken, if not for the fact PIKACHU CAN GERMAN SUPLEX A CHARIZARD. I'm more willing to try the spin-offs because of the different gameplay.

Crocodile

I really wish there was a Pokemon product (game or anime) that grew up with me in terms of tone and scope :(

That Origins special was super hype but it was just a 4 part mini-series and not a TV show like many of us hoped.

I wish the Pokemon anime was willing to use different protagonists for each game. Like the parts of Jojo. So that, you know, Ash and co could actually develop as characters and get the time to accomplish their dreams and shit.

bigkrev

I really wish there was a Pokemon product (game or anime) that grew up with me in terms of tone and scope :(

That Origins special was super hype but it was just a 4 part mini-series and not a TV show like many of us hoped.

I wish the Pokemon anime was willing to use different protagonists for each game. Like the parts of Jojo. So that, you know, Ash and co could actually develop as characters and get the time to accomplish their dreams and shit.

Pokemon X was the first game I had played since yellow. I enjoyed it because it gives you an original Starter pretty early in the game, and has tons of other original Pokemon as well.

I beat the game basically ignoring all the non-original Pokemon after the 10 hour mark. It was a really fun nostalgia trip with significantly improved mechanics, but I don't think I ever have to do that again.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Pokemon arrived when I was in high school, so I'm part of that very narrow window of people for whom Pokemon was never ever cool at any stage of life.

And the anime is for 6 year olds.

So there.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Announce the Michiko & Hatchin replacement already.
Yeah, wonder how much longer we have to wait. Kind of hope we hear this month, but it'll probably be confrmed next month.

Or maybe they'll confirm it sometime during Intruder 2?

The characters aren't meant to grow up and develop. They're just expies that exist to make people buy the new games.

Sad truth.

Line_HTX

The Yu-Gi-Oh anime was way better than Pokemon. Always worth getting up on Saturday mornings for that a long time ago. I eventually lost all interest in Pokemon once I started watching Yu-Gi-Oh.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Pokemon arrived when I was in high school, so I'm part of that very narrow window of people for whom Pokemon was never ever cool at any stage of life.

And the anime is for 6 year olds.

So there.
Pokemon came out when I was about....7, I think? Probably got into it more when I was 8 & got a copy of Blue.

I think it's weird that people seem to use kids show with a negative connotation. Surely most people have things from their childhood that makes them feel nostalgic when they return to it.

And loads of grown ass adults like modern kids shows. Kids shows that have attracted an adult audience like Adventure Time, Regular Show, and and Steven Universe, despite occasionally diving into adult themes, are still kids shows.

Heck, anime is primarily for kids/teenagers

Top Bottom