• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT2| Time to Push the Button

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ichigo = Yusuke
Rukia = Botan
Renji = Kurama
Byakuya = Hiei

Now I'm not saying Bleach is a rip-off of YYH... actually that's exactly what I'm saying.
You could plug numerous anime into this formula and come to the same conclusion. There's only so many character types, people shouldn't be surprised to find some overlap between action series.

I don't get the bleach/yu yu comparison

Ichigo vs Ulquiorra Round 3 was so blatant Kubo might as well have just written "there's no chapter this week, just go read this chapter of Yu Yu Hakusho. Yusuke is Ichigo, Sensui is Ulquiorra, and pretend that Kurama has boobs". All it was missing was Yammy showing up at the end to say it was okay because Ulquiorra had a fatal disease.

Ichigo vs Ulquiorra Round 3 was so blatant Kubo might as well have just written "there's no chapter this week, just go read this chapter of Yu Yu Hakusho. Yusuke is Ichigo, Sensui is Ulquiorra, and pretend that Kurama has boobs". All it was missing was Yammy showing up at the end to say it was okay because Ulquiorra had a fatal disease.
Never watched past the dark tournament arc, cn switched hakusho to an early morning time slot if I remember correctly and I just couldn't stay up that late.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Don't forget:
Sensui: Former Spirit Detective, went insane and evil.
Ginjou: Former Substitute Shinigami, went insane and evil.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Reverse that please. Both Toguros do more damage than Aizen did.

Aizen was the big bad of two arcs and created both the vaizards and arrancars. He is the antagonist for bleach

Ichigo = Yusuke
Rukia = Botan
Renji = Kurama
Byakuya = Hiei

Now I'm not saying Bleach is a rip-off of YYH... actually that's exactly what I'm saying.

None of them are similar. The closest analog is the ichigo/yusuke, and only due to them being protagonists

jph139

Frankly I preferred Bleach when it was a Yu Yu Hakusho knockoff (in those early episodes/chapters when they were running around fighting Hollows) to the plodding overstuffed swordfight bullshit it became.

Aizen was the big bad of two arcs and created both the vaizards and arrancars. He is the antagonist for bleach

Except Younger Toguro was an amazing character, and Elder Toguro was a great villain, while Aizen is a shitty character who exists solely to troll readers and be a subpar knockoff of Naraku.

None of them are similar. The closest analag is the ichigo/yusuke, and only due to them being protagonists

Oh come on, there's some pretty strong similarities there.

But yeah, Bleach/Yu Yu Hakusho comparisons make no sense. One series stars a teenage school going protagonist who frequently gets into fights, and then meets an otherworldly girl who enlists his help as a spiritual protector of a town, and draws him into fighting some sort of demons and dealing with spirits of dead people, before he and his friends eventually get involved in the politics coming from these other worlds, fend off a proposed invasion from higher forms of those demons, and eventually go to the world where those demons live and get involved with the happenings there.

Wait, which one was that describing again?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Except Younger Toguro was an amazing character, and Elder Toguro was a great villain, while Aizen is a shitty character who exists solely to troll readers and be a subpar knockoff of Naraku.

Oh come on, there's some pretty strong similarities there.

But yeah, Bleach/Yu Yu Hakusho comparisons make no sense. One series stars a teenage school going protagonist who frequently gets into fights, and then meets an otherworldly girl who enlists his help as a spiritual protector of a town, and draws him into fighting some sort of demons and dealing with spirits of dead people, before he and his friends eventually get involved in the politics coming from these other worlds, fend off a proposed invasion from higher forms of those demons, and eventually go to the world where those demons live and get involved with the happenings there.

Wait, which one was that describing again?

Oh come on, now. Aizen is line with naraku, the bowser of end bosses? As for the description, when simplified, many series can be similar, like pokemon and the last air bender. I'm not going to pretend there aren't any similarities between the series, but a ripoff is quite a strong word

cryptic

I remember watching bleach, the arc in the anime where the mysterious invaders with special powers appear, and I'm usually not one to take notice of these things but this was so blatant.
Almost all of the major plot concepts from that arc were taken from the chapter black saga or third yu yu arc, maybe with some switching around. It is absolutely nuts how no one seems to see that.

No. Eureka Seven is great.

I would love to see G Gundam return, though. But no reason both can't are. there's plenty of dead time right now.

I wouldn't say it is better than any of those, maybe better than seed which I've just briefly watched.

I think the hype around Eureka seven has to do with it being refreshing as it harkens back to earlier animes where characters were more fleshed out, but it was done in such a philosophical way that I couldn't find the weight of anything. It just seemed to present an idea and a mood, at first it was fine, then it dragged on, more wacky shit happened, they rallied, fought, repeat until end.

I just look back on it like that shit sucked, something I liked before, but with age, I realize it was cool just because I was starved for something more old school. Besides that, my point stands that the love story, battle, pain shit all didn't mesh, it was just there, it fundamentally sucked because it failed at everything it set out to do.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I just realized InuYasha is "only" 167 episodes, crazy. I always remember it being so much longer than that, I could have sworn it was Bleach/Naruto/One Piece levels.

It's a nice surprise. At the current rate and if they have it queued up in time, we might be watching The Final Act in only a year and a half.

What happened to Bleach? Seems like it turned into a running joke, but I remember it being quite interesting when it first aired on AS years ago. I only saw the first couple episodes, but did they really drop the ball after that?

Required Viewing:

The Downfall of Bleach, Part 1

The Downfall of Bleach, Part 2

DominoKid

wow i should not have watched those Bleach critique videos lol. Bleach is my favorite of the Big 3 and I just kinda rolled w/ all the shit that happened despite it being kinda stupid...but he took it to another level w/ the critiques. damn.

G is my favorite Gundam series but I remember people shitting on it back in 2002 because it was so different from Wing.

G was the only one I liked because it was so different from Wing. I dunno, I just never took to Wing. Now that I think about it I've never enjoyed any Gundam besides G.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I liked 00 but more for its style, I know it's a bad series and it annoys me because it could have been fantastic.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well, AGE is a perfectly serviceable anime and I still don't understand the hate it got. Very lean series (considering all the happens in it) with good character arcs and motivations.

Seda

Gundam 00

Season 1: This is okay, some cool scenes and moments.
Season 2: Okay this has gotten really pretty stupid
Movie: WTF is this shit

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The big problem with any of those pickups is that Bandai got out of the dub business this year and closed their NA anime branch so who knows how exactly you'd get the rights to some of that stuff.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Just to rewind a little bit...
This will be of much use to me. Just started watching the series and I'm loving it so far, but I'd like to skip filler seeing as there are so many episodes to catch up on... :/

I'd watch it on Toonami for the dub.

50,51, 54-60, 93,98,99,101,102, 131-143 (131-135), 196-206 (this is the G-8 Arc, the best filler arc in any shounen series), 213-216, 220-226 (226), 279-283, 317-319, 326-336, 382-384, 406-7, 426-429, 453-458 (453-456), 492, 497-499, 506

The bolded all either contain at least some kind of plot elements or are otherwise somewhat worth watching for one reason or another (the stuff highlighted in red is stuff you should just flat out NOT skip at all). Everything else is pretty skippable, though there is some decent/watchable stuff mixed in here and there too.

Alright fellas I need a new anime series to sink my teeth into. I would go to anime-gaf, but I like the environment here more so I'll seek your counsel.

Here is a list of my favorite series to give you an idea of what I like:

G Gundam
Gundam Wing
Yu Yu Hakusho
Bleach
Samurai Champloo
Soul Eater
Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple

Already tried One Piece but stopped watching during the skypeia arc and never had any interest in continuing the series. Same thing for Naruto, got bored once the fillers hit and stopped watching.

Any suggestions would be welcome, feel free to ask questions.

Jintor

To those of you suffering through Naruto now, know that one day it will look, at least for a brief period of time, kinda like this

rock_lee_and_guy_v_4_tails_by_tristtrist-d5nzp5d.gif

I believe that is from a non-manga arc

Seda

I'm not sure if I'll be able to watch Toonami either. Perhaps the week after as well. I'm going home for the holidays. Might not be able to spend Saturday night with all you wonderful people :/

Last week pretty big for Toonami numbers:

Bleach - 1,114,000
Naruto - 961,000
ThunderCats - 1,020,000
Samurai 7 - 889,000
Sym-Bionic Titan - 841,000
Eureka 7 - 788,000
Tenchi GXP - 776,000
Fullmetal - 798,000
Cowboy Bebop - 690,000
Cowboy Bebop - 664,000
InuYasha - 640,000
InuYasha - 628,000

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Bleach - 1,114,000
Naruto - 961,000
ThunderCats - 1,020,000
Samurai 7 - 889,000
Eureka 7 - 788,000
Tenchi GXP - 776,000
Fullmetal - 798,000
Cowboy Bebop - 690,000
Cowboy Bebop - 664,000
InuYasha - 640,000
InuYasha - 628,000
T'cats over a million, even the graveyard shift over 600k. Impressive. Poor Tenchi still falling in a bit of a pit even at 3 am. Big drop off after Fullmetal, though. Kind of odd, but I guess 4 am is the wall.

Clearly this is a MUCH more favorable schedule.

I really hope Toonami can get the 1AM-2AM weekday spot next year sometime with ratings like that. Even if it is just Bleach and Naruto in that spot it would be good for more exposure.

Ezalc

Drago

Bleach - 1,114,000
Naruto - 961,000
ThunderCats - 1,020,000
Samurai 7 - 889,000
Eureka 7 - 788,000
Tenchi GXP - 776,000
Fullmetal - 798,000
Cowboy Bebop - 690,000
Cowboy Bebop - 664,000
InuYasha - 640,000
InuYasha - 628,000
Aha, very nice numbers. :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Bleach - 1,114,000
Naruto - 961,000
ThunderCats - 1,020,000
Samurai 7 - 889,000
Eureka 7 - 788,000
Tenchi GXP - 776,000
Fullmetal - 798,000
Cowboy Bebop - 690,000
Cowboy Bebop - 664,000
InuYasha - 640,000
InuYasha - 628,000

Woooow.

LOL @ the dip for Tenchi. People just tuning out.
KuGsj.gif
Actually pretty amazing FMA B is getting higher numbers than E7 at an hour later.

Mature

Bleach - 1,114,000
Naruto - 961,000
ThunderCats - 1,020,000
Samurai 7 - 889,000
Eureka 7 - 788,000
Tenchi GXP - 776,000
Fullmetal - 798,000
Cowboy Bebop - 690,000
Cowboy Bebop - 664,000
InuYasha - 640,000
InuYasha - 628,000
Woo! Way to go ThunderCats.

http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/38303582525/important-but-fun-message

Looks like the Toonami crew is puttin together a special Tooami mixtape for Christmas. They just need the fans to do a few things.
1. Get 3500 followers for the tumblr page
2. Try to get all Toonami shows to trend on Twitter this Saturday.
Oh, wow. Something tells me fans are going to go nuts trying to get this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom