• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT2| Time to Push the Button

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think last week was early

BatDan said:
I doubt it will happen at this point, even with censorship. They could surprise us.

nudity is probably the only real issue, and with her being in a robotic body you could probably get away with just making her....featureless

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
All Star Superman was pretty meh. Best DCA movie remains Red Hood (in fact, I prefer Red Hood to Mask of the Phantasm zomg.)

We'll see what happens when Dark Knight Returns part 2 hits...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Strong World is probably our only chance to get One Piece on Toonami.

Of course, they did just post this on the tumblr, so who knows.

They've also posted a couple Yu Yu Hakusho GIFs, doesn't mean we're getting One Piece. I'm still hopeful though, and it does have a better chance since it's still on-going.
Showing Strong World would be the preferable of the two movies Funimation has. Episode of Alabasta would be a BAD idea.

Is One Piece even worth bothering with in the first 50 eps?

Considering those 50 episodes contain the Arlong arc? YES! VERY MUCH YES!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Is One Piece even worth bothering with in the first 50 eps?

Yes. Extremely important events occur and characters appear in the first 50 episodes (which the show does call back to later....sometimes MUCH later). Also, the Arlong Arc, which is fantastic. If it isn't filler, it's pretty much essential, to one degree or another.

Unless you're talking about for the purposes of trying to broadcast the show on a weekly basis in 2013. In which case, I don't know.

the GIFs and images they post don't relate to upcoming shows.

Andrex said:
We'll see what happens when Dark Knight Returns part 2 hits...

i thought part 1 was as dull and lifeless as their Year One adaptation, so i don't see any reason for part 2 to be any different. i wish i could pinpoint what exactly makes me dislike these ones, because "dull and lifeless" really sounds like a cop-out :(

BatDan

i thought part 1 was as dull and lifeless as their Year One adaptation, so i don't see any reason for part 2 to be any different. i wish i could pinpoint what exactly makes me dislike these ones, because "dull and lifeless" really sounds like a cop-out :(

Both stories were based on works by Frank Miller, maybe you're not a fan of his writing?
Be glad they adapted the early stuff, The Dark Knight Strikes Again and All-Star Batman & Robin is where he really lost his mind.

I hope One Piece gets picked up sometime in the future.

Showing Strong World would be the preferable of the two movies Funimation has. Episode of Alabasta would be a BAD idea.

Why not both? I think they could show Alabasta too, maybe reminding those who caught glimpses of the 4kids dub that the show wasn't what they thought it was.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

I thought Year One was pretty good but I couldn't help but draw BB comparisons. :(

Year One was a bit lame, felt like a warm up.

Both stories were based on works by Frank Miller, maybe you're not a fan of his writing?
Be glad they adapted the early stuff, The Dark Knight Strikes Again and All-Star Batman & Robin is where he really lost his mind.

no, i've read the originals and i actually like Year One a lot (TDKR not so much). maybe i don't like them BECAUSE i've read the originals? i dunno. it's more to do with how everything seems...flat. the adaptations of both just seem really boring, like they failed to inject their own spin on it. it's like a motion comic, and i'm not sure if i'd feel that way had i just watched these things on their own, without ever reading the comics.

BatDan

no, i've read the originals and i actually like Year One a lot (TDKR not so much). maybe i don't like them BECAUSE i've read the originals? i dunno. it's more to do with how everything seems...flat. the adaptations of both just seem really boring, like they failed to inject their own spin on it. it's like a motion comic, and i'm not sure if i'd feel that way had i just watched these things on their own, without ever reading the comics.

Fair point.
I do find it difficult to watch Samurai 7 after seeing the original movie. That and it's on the final episodes, which cranked up the GONZO bullshit to 15.

BatDan

Because the Arabasta movie is terrible.

Pretty much.
They tried to take the second-longest arc in One Piece (63 chapters) and condense it down to 90 minutes. Cutting out important story elements, leaving only the fights and inexplicable fanservice. It didn't even use "From the New World" for Luffy defeating Crocodile.

The follow-up movie (Episode of Chopper) is considered a better movie as it only condenses 25 chapters, allowing for more story. As long as you don't mind it playing with established canon.

BatDan

I hope Funimation gets the rights to all the movies. I'd love to see Dead End Adventure or Baron Omatsuri on Toonami. Especially the latter, the reactions would be glorious.

BatDan

nobody has ideas for standalone films, besides the obvious ones?

Hmm, maybe they could show live-action movies?
I know I know, it's an animation block. But some of the live-action movies they've shown on Cartoon Network aren't bad. Who Framed Roger Rabbit was on a few weeks ago.
Maybe they could show The Dark Knight?

EDIT: I just realized Roger Rabbit is a bad example...
Still, Adult Swim has a better track record of live-action stuff. That's not saying much considering Tim & Eric, but there's still The Office UK and Children's Hospital.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So I watched the whole Naruto vs. Pains fight (2h 30m.) Spoilers, obviously.

I don't care if the rest of the series is Sasuke writing on his Livejournal about how much his day sucked, I think I now consider myself a fan of Naruto. And that thought's kinda icky. I think I'll try and avoid most of the rest of the fanbase. :p

I don't think I've seen a shonen fight that good. Even DBZ never really got that complex or engaging. (Some of the animation towards the end was, uh, weird though.)

I don't care what it says about me, I was getting emotional at the end (and not even the end-end, but just,
the whole final dialog between Naruto and Nagato.
) So gooooooooood.

It's going to hurt so fricking much to see Jiraiya pop up in like 10 months... When I first saw him, Shippuden wasn't at the point where... well...

Seda

I haven't watched up to that point yet, but while Naruto has some spotty sections and some really bad humor at times, some of the fights really are quite enjoyable. I've even, for the most part, managed to keep myself unspoiled. (Naruto vs Pain was obviously going to occur eventually, I know it happens, but none of the details of what actually takes place).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I haven't watched up to that point yet, but while Naruto has some spotty sections and some really bad humor at times, some of the fights really are quite enjoyable. I've even, for the most part, managed to keep myself unspoiled. (Naruto vs Pain was obviously going to occur eventually, I know it happens, but none of the details of what actually takes place).

It's one of the highest points of the series.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's one of the highest points of the series.

Yeah, watching it, I couldn't imagine it being topped. (End of fight spoiler)
Even though there's a reset button at the end, I liked it better than most of the reset buttons, and there kinda was precedent for it. I also liked how they changed things up from most anime fights "WIN BY PUNCHING HARDER!" and just talked it out. Usually that stuff would be shoved into the fight itself and thus have no purpose, but it just worked so well there.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's one of the lowest points and destroys any chance for Part 2 to even approach good.
Pain bringing everyone back to life retroactively ruins the whole arc.

You have too much hate in you, that's not very Jiraiya like.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, watching it, I couldn't imagine it being topped. (End of fight spoiler)
Even though there's a reset button at the end, I liked it better than most of the reset buttons, and there kinda was precedent for it. I also liked how they changed things up from most anime fights "WIN BY PUNCHING HARDER!" and just talked it out. Usually that stuff would be shoved into the fight itself and thus have no purpose, but it just worked so well there.

Get used to it.

wwm0nkey

So I watched the whole Naruto vs. Pains fight (2h 30m.) Spoilers, obviously.

I don't care if the rest of the series is Sasuke writing on his Livejournal about how much his day sucked, I think I now consider myself a fan of Naruto. And that thought's kinda icky. I think I'll try and avoid most of the rest of the fanbase. :p

I don't think I've seen a shonen fight that good. Even DBZ never really got that complex or engaging. (Some of the animation towards the end was, uh, weird though.)

I don't care what it says about me, I was getting emotional at the end (and not even the end-end, but just,
the whole final dialog between Naruto and Nagato.
) So gooooooooood.

It's going to hurt so fricking much to see Jiraiya pop up in like 10 months... When I first saw him, Shippuden wasn't at the point where... well...

Read the manga arc of that but never watched the anime version......holy hell that was amazing!

Welcome aboard, Andrex. Ain't nothing icky about being a fan of Naruto. I'm proud to say it's been my favorite series since it premiered on Toonami all those years ago. Sidenote: Seeing you with a different avatar is weird.

Seda

E3xjf.png

For comparison, the prior week:

pA2CF.png

Back to school is probably the reason for the dip I think.

BatDan

OUCH. Maybe the fans abandoned ThunderCats again after New Alliances showed how unlikeable the cast can be. History repeats.

I can only imagine what we'll see when Bleach comes back in a week or two.

Bleach is back next week, so hopefully the ratings will get a boost from that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
OUCH. Maybe the fans abandoned ThunderCats again after New Alliances showed how unlikeable the cast can be. History repeats.

This would not shock me in the least. TCats isn't really any fun anymore unless you've got a group like we've got to watch with. How many people have that?

789shadow

Banned
I doubt a lot of the football viewership watches Toonami.
I'm pretty sure some outside event caused the drop in ratings. Viewership doesn't just drop like that for no reason. As Seda said, back to school could be a big reason. A lot of college students don't have a TV, or they have a TV but can't actually watch TV on it.

We should probably get used to wild fluctuations in the ratings.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Welcome aboard, Andrex. Ain't nothing icky about being a fan of Naruto. I'm proud to say it's been my favorite series since it premiered on Toonami all those years ago. Sidenote: Seeing you with a different avatar is weird.

It's two avatars in one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom