• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT2| Time to Push the Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

See this is why I stopped posting on [as] and fear what happens when Anime-GAF invades this thread. You get people with the 90s mentality who think it's a giant conspiracy to screw Japanese animation and that the Nielsen are intentionally tanking anime ratings.
You must not frequent Anime-GAF.

Seda

While we're on the subject of music in shows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A-q3TM8kPk
I know Funimation is trying to get it on TV, but who will accept it? Nicktoons? Ha! They'd rather air Yu-Gi-Oh repeats.

This reminds me, Digimon Xros Wars is going to air on Nickelodeon (not Nicktoons) as Digimon Fusion. /random

I remember liking the first two shows when I was a kid but I couldn't really get into the 3rd one (with the cards or whatnot) or anything past that.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
This reminds me, Digimon Xros Wars is going to air on Nickelodeon (not Nicktoons) as Digimon Fusion. /random

I remember liking the first two shows when I was a kid but I couldn't really get into the 3rd one (with the cards or whatnot) or anything past that.

Is that so? TMNT, Power Rangers, now Digimon. Nickelodeon has more action than Cartoon Network at this point (including Korra).
It's funny you mention that since the third series (Tamers) is often considered the best one.

I'm not sure if Toei wants One Piece to air on TV with heavy editing after... last time. Even with the original music and superior Funimation voices.

You must not frequent Anime-GAF.
I only posted there to occasionally troll back in 2008. I hear stories though, they still doing the pedo gif spam like they used to back in the day?
i'll tell you a secret

animegaf has been here all along
Oh no trust me, there are certain names that aren't posting here. When they do, THEN Anime-GAF is here.
I just think of ToonamiGAF as sort of an “extension” to AnimeGAF.
It really shouldn't be though, it kinda implies TOONAMI is something it's never claimed to be; only for anime.

Mature

I only posted there to occasionally troll back in 2008. I hear stories though, they still doing the pedo gif spam like they used to back in the day?
Yes. Thankfully, a little more than half is thoughtful impressions and dialogue about the industry.

It really shouldn't be though, it kinda implies TOONAMI is something it's never claimed to be; only for anime.
Of course it's not, but to deny it's connection to anime and how it championed it for the West is really silly and... weird? I can understand having an affinity for the Western side of the block, but why subvert or deny the other half?

Of course it's not, but to deny it's connection to anime and how it championed it for the West is really silly and... weird? I can understand having an affinity for the Western side of the block, but why subvert or deny the other half?

But Toonami only championed one category of anime: action - there's plenty others that didn't fit in with that idea.

I guess you could counter my argument with the showings of Spirited Away and the like, though.

Mature

But Toonami only championed one category of anime: action - there's plenty others that didn't fit in with that idea.

I guess you could counter my argument with the showings of Spirited Away and the like, though.
I'm not suggesting Toonami was an ambassador for the entire medium, but it presented it to a formative generation who otherwise might not know about it entirely.

I'm not championing anything from the West. I'm championing the TOONAMI motto "Building you a better cartoon show" and showing the best cartoons on the planet, wherever they came from. Same thing I've said since the 1st TOONAMI thread started.

If anything I'm trying to counter the opinion that infected the [adult swim] boards back in late 2004 - that TOONAMI should be all anime since in the past, it had showed (and continued to show) tons of it. That's when the divide started between the anime-only and the non-anime crowd. Of course it helped that the anime bubble hadn't burst then and the competition wasn't as huge as it is now...

But I digress.
I'm not suggesting Toonami was an ambassador for the entire medium, but it presented it to a formative generation who otherwise might not know about it entirely.
To some people in the late 90s, unfortunately it was an ambassador for the entire medium.

why is that unfortunate?
I mean that as they only watched the anime they saw on [adult swim] and didn't really move on of other shows, resulting in a narrow view of the genre. That's why I said to some people. There are far greater examples of awesome animation out there if you simply look for it... it's what TOONAMI tried to preach but but according to what the [as] boards (and alot of anime boards in the mid 2000s) it fell on deaf ears.

Now, people have a choice and free will. But to listen to people blather for 7+ years about how "wah conspiracy why isn't X show on [adult swim]/TOONAMI", and then when I try to discuss demographics, lead-ins, and target audiences to them they are like "what does this have to do with how Kim Manning is being a bitch?" well, I have to leave to keep from getting myself banned.

Mature

I mean that as they only watched the anime they saw on [adult swim] and didn't really move on of other shows, resulting in a narrow view of the genre. That's why I said to some people. There are far greater examples of awesome animation out there if you simply look for it... it's what TOONAMI tried to preach but but according to what the [as] boards (and alot of anime boards in the mid 2000s) it fell on deaf ears.

Now, people have a choice and free will. But to listen to people blather for 7+ years about how "wah conspiracy why isn't X show on [adult swim]/TOONAMI", and then when I try to discuss demographics, lead-ins, and target audiences to them they are like "what does this have to do with how Kim Manning is being a bitch?" well, I have to leave to keep from getting myself banned.
Sounds like you're dragging an archaic and petty conversation from childish people into a place that doesn't have it and doesn't need it.

If you say it's unfortunate that people (in general) got into anime as a medium, well, that tells me enough about you as a person that we don't need to continue the conversation. I make it a point not to waste my time with bull-headed people that make sweeping statements like that.

a) "to some" = sweeping statements. Ooookay.
b) I'm not saying it's unfortunate that people got into anime, but that for some people that was their first exposure and they limit themselves to just what they saw on TOONAMI back in the late 90's.

did you even really read what I was trying to say with my earlier statements?
Sounds like you're dragging an archaic and petty conversation from childish people into a place that doesn't have it and doesn't need it.
pgtcx5p0.gif

I make it a point not to waste my time with bull-headed people that make sweeping statements like that.
oh the delicious Alanis Morrisette irony.

Jintor

I don't even know what you're trying to say and this tedious argument is taking up our precious page allotments. We only have so many pages guys, I heard we can maybe trade some of our old ones away on the black market

Mature

I was referring to ToonamiGAF specifically which I believe (at least up until now) was home to pretty much people shooting the shit and not bringing weird, age old [AS] board vendettas onto it.

a) "to some" = sweeping statements. Ooookay.
Wasn't referring to the amount of people, buddy. Was referring to dismissing an entire medium of entertainment. No one just assumes you mean "Oh and also they don't view and enjoy other things which is the real unfortunate part". You came off as a dickhead with your wordage:

To some people in the late 90s, unfortunately it was an ambassador for the entire medium.

b) I'm not saying it's unfortunate that people got into anime, but that for some people that was their first exposure and they limit themselves to just what they saw on TOONAMI back in the late 90's.

Edit: Also, now that you've clarified yourself, this has turned into a meaningless squabble over semantics. Let us co-exist and enjoy Toonami squabble-free once again.

I don't even know what you're trying to say and this tedious argument is taking up our precious page allotments. We only have so many pages guys, I heard we can maybe trade some of our old ones away on the black market

I heard GAF is adopting some type of DRM so we can't trade in our old pages towards new ones

Conan-san

I was under the impression that WS (or whoever) was puting more weight on the Twitter statistics at the moment and using Nelson as a backup.

LycanXIII

I might have spent the past two days watching the first season... >.>

I was under the impression that WS (or whoever) was puting more weight on the Twitter statistics at the moment and using Nelson as a backup.

Not quite yet. Ratings probably still carry a little more weight that Neilsen's new Twitter measuring system.

Revenue matters most of all, and things like the Bleach returns promo "brought to you by Nintendo" are what you really want to see.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Not quite yet. Ratings probably still carry a little more weight that Neilsen's new Twitter measuring system.

Revenue matters most of all, and things like the Bleach returns promo "brought to you by Nintendo" are what you really want to see.

Also Disney funding the development of new sets for promotional tie-ins.

And seeing E7 continue to pull ahead of GXP in the ratings, after consistently placing behind it for the longest time, is quite gratifying as well.

Seriously, what the fuck was up with that?

I don't know how readily available this info is, but is there anyway to compare/contrast the ratings for SBT on Toonami with the ratings it got during the initial run?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
And seeing E7 continue to pull ahead of GXP in the ratings, after consistently placing behind it for the longest time, is quite gratifying as well.

Seriously, what the fuck was up with that?

E7 takes a while to really kick into high gear. If I remember right this week's episode is really good.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I like to think the contact for Bebop was accidentally left open ended and it will never stop airing.

The contract probably says something like so long as it's on air they keep the rights, sort of like how Sony owns the Spider-man movies.

Jintor

Good deal for them.

Can't believe they actually have some legal write-off procedure where they seriously can't air stuff on TV again. What's up with that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Good deal for them.

Can't believe they actually have some legal write-off procedure where they seriously can't air stuff on TV again. What's up with that.

I think it's in exchange for being able to write off the entire production of a show on their taxes. Megas deserved better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom