• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT2| Time to Push the Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Sankaku Complex.
LOL j/k, don't go there.
Looked it up anyway (Or at least the history of it lol)

Whenever I get the urge, I normally check out Anime News Network. Also used to hang around the http://www.animenation.com/ forums, though the place is obviously more of a store, rather than a news site, but years ago, that was my fav place to get my info, as we'd always talk about it.

I'd be interested to see what other people reply with.

Anime News Network doesn't seem to bad.
Though the website feels really cluttered.
Even though the other is a store i'll check it out when im off work (Blocked for some reason at work but ANN isnt)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good morning Toonami-GAF

So the big easter egg was continuity? Awesome. Looks like a sneak preview for a story arc some time down the road. That would kick so much ass.

It also gives people a reason to keep watching, despite all the complaints about the schedule sucking. I'll still watch no matter what.

Raxus

I am bad.
And that's good.
I will never be good.
And that's not bad.
But there's no one I'd rather be....
Than me.

~Bad-Anon oath from Wreck-it Ralph.

No lie, this plus the Casshern ending last night left some serious feels stir up in me.

LOL at E7 getting bumped for T cats. Guess they want 'newer' programming up front. Finally Boobs the anime is coming back to Toonami. Hope it isn't awful like TM:Tokyo...

Takao

Banned
No lie, this plus the Casshern ending last night left some serious feels stir up in me.

LOL at E7 getting bumped for T cats. Guess they want 'newer' programming up front. Finally Boobs the anime is coming back to Toonami. Hope it isn't awful like TM:Tokyo...

First show right after Bleach is 10 years old ...

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I understand CN wanting to get the most out of Thundercats but its dead. Its going to stay dead. And its never coming back.

Symbionic Titan was just never handled correctly from the start and again, nothing can really be done for it. All this new lineup is shots into the dark. I just hope that they can replace S7 with something good or make an adjustment before boots get put to asses at CN.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Jawmuncher: Yeah, ANN can be kinda cluttered looking, but I rather like that about it; feels nice to have so much info to pick-and-choose from, without having to go through pages and pages of info.

The only other thing I can hope to suggest is the Otaku USA Magazine / Website.. I don't really visit the site, but I buy the mag every once in a while, and really enjoy how they're a nice mix of "classic" older anime, expecially for lapsed fans, in addition to new info about modern anime. Very similiar to Toonami in a way...

----

You know, the showing of GXP makes me wonder if Toonami would ever show something like "Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar", the Tenchi Side-Story OVA series from 2009, featuring 13 eps of 45-to-51 minutes each.

It was with the aquisition of that series, that Funimation announced having the rights to the whole of Tenchi at this year's Otakon. Would AS dare try to show something with such a unique length? could they pair it up with a 15-min show alongside it, like they do with their half-shows for normal Adult Swim?

Just in genral, it's be nice to see some short OVA series make it onto the block. (I know little about this Tenchi Offshot, other than that it is available for streaming in the US...) Short series with Quality animation would probably do the block good. Though I have no idea what could fit such spots, from recent years.

B.K.

You anime folks think this is bad?

I was one of those guys who was reading the manga as it came out. MONTHLY.

Nothing in recent memory comes close to that wait for clarification after the initial reaction of "WTF IS HAPPENING HOLY SHIT I JUST GOT EVA'D AND I NEVER EVEN WATCHED EVANGELION!"

Me too. People complained a lot about how quickly everything was resolved in Brotherhood, but it was horrible waiting a month for the next chapter.

Got the last signature for the design sheet a few hours ago. Gonna stick around for closing ceremonies and some video game tournaments

You guys won't be disappointed

Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher: Yeah, ANN can be kinda cluttered looking, but I rather like that about it; feels nice to have so much info to pick-and-choose from, without having to go through pages and pages of info.

The only other thing I can hope to suggest is the Otaku USA Magazine / Website.. I don't really visit the site, but I buy the mag every once in a while, and really enjoy how they're a nice mix of "classic" older anime, expecially for lapsed fans, in addition to new info about modern anime. Very similiar to Toonami in a way...

----

Thats a good one. Thanks for that.
I'll probably use a mix of the two.

Here's the pics in an album

http://imgur.com/a/40ImU#0

Notes:

- Waited at least over two hours just to get Scott McNeil's autograph...and his line was much shorter than Todd's at the time.

- Didn't get Todd to sign the sheet at the time I took the pic cause we were only limited to one signature and one pic of him. Did get back in line to sign it though (his signature is in the upper left hand corner of the sheet). Kinda wish I got to take a pic with him since I had so much stuff for him to sign

-Since Sonny was the voice of the original Tom, I got him to add that part next to signature the day after I took the pic with him

And that's it. Feel free to add the pics to the OP if you want since it feels like a free endorsement from the VAs themselves.

Notes:

- Waited at least over two hours just to get Scott McNeil's autograph...and his line was much shorter than Todd's at the time.

- Didn't get Todd to sign the sheet at the time I took the pic cause we were only limited to one signature and one pic of him. Did get back in line to sign it though (his signature is in the upper left hand corner of the sheet). Kinda wish I got to take a pic with him since I had so much stuff for him to sign

-Since Sonny was the voice of the original Tom, I got him to add that part next to signature the day after I took the pic with him

And that's it. Feel free to add the pics to the OP if you want since it feels like a free endorsement from the VAs themselves.
Toonami-GAF is going places. Very cool, man.

Cranzor

Notes:

That is really cool. Thanks for doing that and sharing it with us! We may have a small community but we have some really neat contributions.

Notes:

Awesome.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Notes:

Sweetness.

Notes:

Damn, that's nice.

: 0

NO WAY Inuyasha's on the new Toonami, will they show the Final Act?

Also what's Eureka Seven?

One last question, are there new episodes of Bionic Titan or is it the same?

Seda

: 0

NO WAY Inuyasha's on the new Toonami, will they show the Final Act?

Also what's Eureka Seven?

One last question, are there new episodes of Bionic Titan or is it the same?

The only show that's actually brand new episodes right now is Bleach.

Also, click the images for the wiki pages.

As for TFA, it's was speculated to show up but nothing.

Seda

Alright, thanks.

Sucks that Bleach is the only show with new episodes : /

For me it really doesn't matter actually. I've always have had a small interest in anime, and I saw some of the really common ones like DBZ and Gundam Wing, but not really that much outside of that. Not too long ago a friend HEAVILY recommended I watch Fullmetal Alchemist and Brotherhood, and man I'm glad I did, it kinda sparked interest in seeing more animes (or other shows, not exclusively anime). Most of these shows are new to me, and it's fun watching them, whether I'm poking fun at them (like Bleach) or really getting engrossed in it (like Casshern Sins, which just concluded). And even with shows I have seen, like FMA and Bebop, it's fun to chat and reminisce.

I've said this before, but the best part about Toonami to me is GAF.

Baroni9

Notes:

Great job dude!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, thanks.

Sucks that Bleach is the only show with new episodes : /

Well, Bleach, Tenchi, and Samurai 7 are all episodes that have never aired on CN/AS, and Thundercats and Titan are technically new for Adult Swim. Tenchi and Samurai 7 have seen airings in other places like Funimation Channel, though, so Bleach is the only one where the episodes are completely new for the US.

Also, the Wikipedia link for Eureka is really loaded with major spoilers, in case that's a concern for you.

Ultratech

So in honor of Casshern ending, I decided to look up some of the other stuff and ended up watching the English Dub of Casshan: Robot Hunter.

Frankly, I was a bit mixed on it. Since it's an OVA, it's pretty short with only four 30 minute episodes, so it's over pretty quickly. Because of that, a lot of details get glossed over, and it's not quite made certain how much time actually passes during the whole thing. (I think it might've worked better if it were a bit longer.)

To give an overview, basically this guy, Dr. Azuma creates an android dubbed BK-1. (Braiking Boss). However, he takes his orders of protecting the Earth's environment a bit too literally and ends up creating a robot army and essentially taking over the world as a result, enslaving most of humanity to his will. What's left of humanity tries to put up a resistance against the robot army, though their efforts are middling at best.

Luna pops up as a resistance fighter with a special RF gun that's basically an insta-kill against any robot. She's wandering around looking for her boyfriend while trying to mount efforts against the robots. Needless to say, she encounters Casshan, who bears a striking resemblance to her guy, and she kinda ends following him, as he comes to grips with what he is and trying to stop Braiking Boss. (I keep thinking she was put in the OVA just as pure eyecandy, since she's one of the few women to show up at all.)

Not surprisingly, Casshan is still the asskicker he was in Sins. Karate chopping robots, ripping 'em in half (which oddly has no real sound effect when he does it...), and other cool crap. Friender is pretty boss here, spitting fire and just straight up running though robots like nobody's business. Casshan's invincible for the most part, and doesn't have the regeneration like in Sins. However, he does rely on Solar power to keep him going as we find out in the 2nd episode, where he starts tripping out during a battle. Those little "pistols" he had are retractable here, and act more like jump jets.

The dub itself is odd...to say the least. They somehow got Black King Boss out of Braiking Boss, though in the credits, it's actually listed as the latter. For the most part, they just refer to him as Black King. (Despite you know, not even being black; he's just gray.) The voices are alright except for Casshan, who seems eerily out of place. The VA makes him sound heroic and crap, though as you see in the OVA, he's constantly dealing with inner conflict. It just sounds really off with everything.

The funny thing about all of this is that Casshan is supposedly a like a legend/myth when this all takes place (about 3 years after the fall of man). Yet oddly enough, nobody aside from Braiking Boss even knows what he looks like, much less what he's capable of. They just know he kills robots dead, and he's damn good at it.

The animation is definitely early-mid 90s if you've seen any stuff from there. It looks odd in some spots though.

Overall, it's decent, but that's about it. Really seems like they could've done more with it.
Pretty interesting to watch after Sins though, being able to draw some comparisons and stuff to it.

It's also interesting seeing how the first two episodes originally came out a few months before Mega Man X, with the third a few days after its release.
(And you can definitely draw some comparisons to it still, since Casshern is fully-armored X, Braiking Boss as Sigma, and Friender as the dog sub-boss Velgauder before the 1st Sigma battle.)

I might hunt down some of the 1978 series, though I've read that the OVA follows the general plot, if condensed.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Well this is interesting. That jump forward in Bebop episodes appears to be very intentional. The advance schedule even makes a slight correction to it down the road to account for the fact that the episodes currently end each week with odd numbers. Without the fix, Bebop would end in its first episode in the hour on December 1, leaving them forced to either air episode 1 right after it or swap it out for another show the same night.

Instead what they've done is set it up so episodes 24 and 25 air on November 24 and then episodes 25 and 26 air on December 1.

Airing Inuyasha 1 and 2 again is also on the schedule, so that seems to be a deliberate decision as well.

The schedule also shows FMA rebooting after finishing in a couple weeks, but the way it's entered into the schedule makes me think it might be a placeholder.

Drago

So there is a new Toonami promo tonight (airing after midnight according to DeMarcos twitter). Will show a preview of the new TOM thing on Saturday.

I'm really hoping that they follow up on the TOM 4 Transmission, but for all we know they could just be advertising a review or something. :/

Well this is interesting. That jump forward in Bebop episodes appears to be very intentional. The advance schedule even makes a slight correction to it down the road to account for the fact that the episodes currently end each week with odd numbers. Without the fix, Bebop would end in its first episode in the hour on December 1, leaving them forced to either air episode 1 right after it or swap it out for another show the same night.

Instead what they've done is set it up so episodes 24 and 25 air on November 24 and then episodes 25 and 26 air on December 1.

Really glad I fell out of the loop on Bebop, seeing as they're skipping nearly half of the series. I'll try to get into the show next time they put it up, I guess. Would love to see a new legacy [as] Action show take its place, though

B.K.

So in honor of Casshern ending, I decided to look up some of the other stuff and ended up watching the English Dub of Casshan: Robot Hunter.

I'd like to see Robot Hunter Casshern again. I watched it on Scifi Channel way back in the late 90s when they used to show anime every Saturday morning and do a week long anime feature every year. That was a long time ago.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So there is a new Toonami promo tonight (airing after midnight according to DeMarcos twitter). Will show a preview of the new TOM thing on Saturday.

I'm really hoping that they follow up on the TOM 4 Transmission, but for all we know they could just be advertising a review or something. :/

I've been operating under the assumption that it's the Halo thing DeMarco has been talking about for a while. Since, you know, Halo 4 comes out in about 40 minutes.

Drago

I've been operating under the assumption that it's the Halo thing DeMarco has been talking about for a while. Since, you know, Halo 4 comes out in about 40 minutes.

That's what I expect too. But hey, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised :)

Hopefully the promo is on during the first commercial break of whatever is on [as] at midnight (I think it's Robot Chicken?)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, almost forgot. The advance schedule is also showing Bleach premieres ending at the end of November, with the show reverting back to the end of the last filler arc.

I've been saying for a while now that a Bleach hiatus was long overdue...

Drago

Boredom

fQYdN.png

IXT6l.png

30qWN.png

nrucP.png

yZdLG.png

o7TUf.png

WrofF.png

SCizB.png

QnT3e.png

3Oj5O.png

Because I've got nothing better to do. Very quick and dirty. Decided to make these to spruce up the OP a bit and give it a more consistent look. Font looks a little choppy though so if you don't want to use them I understand. Gimp isn't very good for this and I don't really have or know of much else where I can make pictures of font

Cranzor

Nice job Drago! Looks great.

I stayed up 'til 1:00 am to see the promo but it looks like I didn't miss much anyway. The review should be cool.

Jintor

There's a Q&A going on through their tumblr!

• Peter Cullen is retired from commercial V/O, [so probably don't expect him back]
  • They're hoping to show more parts of the Absolution in the future
  • They aren't permitted to share their internal standards and practices guidelines with the public
  • They can't talk about acquisitions
  • Toonami will not be releasing a new album, but DJ Clarknova might be considering a new Black Hole Megamix
  • They're trying to figure out new fan art bumps
  • There are 6 people on toonami staff and they're gonna put up an FAQ soon
  • Blue Title cards were intended as a one-off, but...
  • Howard Parker is their new V/O guy for their longer promos

There's a Q&A going on through their tumblr!

• Peter Cullen is retired from commercial V/O, [so probably don't expect him back]
  • They're hoping to show more parts of the Absolution in the future
  • They aren't permitted to share their internal standards and practices guidelines with the public
  • They can't talk about acquisitions
  • Toonami will not be releasing a new album, but DJ Clarknova might be considering a new Black Hole Megamix
  • They're trying to figure out new fan art bumps
  • There are 6 people on toonami staff and they're gonna put up an FAQ soon
  • Blue Title cards were intended as a one-off, but...
  • Howard Parker is their new V/O guy for their longer promos
Man, I understand why Peter Cullen retired (he's rather old), but it sucks to lose a voice like that.

EDIT: Oh, I misunderstood. He just retired from commercial voice acting, not voice acting in general. Still sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom