• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT3| Sleep is for the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
And so, here you go:

hZMX671.jpg

Huge thanks to BatDan for the new dates. I was also able to find my template from the last time I did the dates graphics.

Gonna move these type of things over to my new domain. I've gotta get a new one and then i'll push them onto there.

God to think Bleach is that far from finishing when it's only got trolling and facebook left.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
For the record, that date for Naruto counts up to Episode 135, where the canon material from the manga ends off. Everything after that is Filler Hell and I didn't bother to count that. I'm hoping by that point, AS can secure the rights to Shippuden.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
For the record, that date for Naruto counts up to Episode 135, where the canon material from the manga ends off. Everything after that is Filler Hell and I didn't bother to count that. I'm hoping by that point, AS can secure the rights to Shippuden.

I don't see how they couldn't. God I hope they don't go through filler hell.

Seda

Man I needed that nap. I didn't get much sleep last night, after all.

So......yeah, I never watched past the 2nd Digimon series. Well, only a few episodes of the third.

And thanks for the image AxM , too bad Thundercats is seemingly rerunning.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
When they say there'll be a new Toonami logo I hope they mean just the font, and not the cool circle-y radioactive-esque icon thing. :(

Seda

When they say there'll be a new Toonami logo I hope they mean just the font, and not the cool circle-y radioactive-esque icon thing. :(

Oh yeah it's the name, the word Toonami. They DID show something, but I wasn't able to get a picture or a good look (was probably looking down at my phone typing something lol.)

B33

Banned
I don't see how they couldn't. God I hope they don't go through filler hell.

It depends on the terms of Disney's contract with ShoPro Entertainment (subsidiary of Viz Media). One would expect it to eventually lapse, but we're not privy to the details.

Raxus

Man I needed that nap. I didn't get much sleep last night, after all.

So......yeah, I never watched past the 2nd Digimon series. Well, only a few episodes of the third.

And thanks for the image AxM , too bad Thundercats is seemingly rerunning.

The Jesuotaku retrospective on Digimon seasons 1-3 made me go back and finish 3 and I am glad I did. Xros wars is fun but the dub is going to be awful.

That is the only Digimon talk I am going to partake in this thread. If we are not careful we will summon BossDoggie and all will be lost.

Back to One Piece.

Reasons to why you can't start past G8
1. What the hell is Seastone?
2. How in the hell can they hurt a rubber man?
To be fair this is explained better later in the series
3. Why can't they devour another devil fruit?
4. Who the hell is 'so and so'?
See Buggy, Bon Clay, Smoker, Number 3, Crocodile, Ace, Colby, Vivi, Dragon, Laboon, etc. This will happen a ton. Those are just off the top of my head.
5. Why do I care so much about the Going Merry?
6. Why is Luffy worth over 100 million berries?
7. Why is the big deal over the True History?
8. What's a dial?
9. How did half these characters get so strong?
10. What is the deal with the transforming raccoon?

Edit: I can probably think of more continuity stuff that gets brought up much later but I think you get the idea.

MikeMyers

I only watch Bleach and Naruto on here, would try watching the rest but I can't stay awake too long.

Although I recently caught up on the entire INuYasha series...I wasn't aware they did a FINAL ACT until last year.

Tenchi Muyo...that sounds familiar. Is that the one about a average dude who has a bunch of girls fighting over him?

Toonami Faithful just posted that the video of the panel will be up tomorrow.

It's done, but his laptop apparently not powerful enough to render before he heads back home.

Raxus

Best thing about GXP? We haven't reached the bottom. We will have gone insane by the time GXP finally ends. We owe a big apology to Samurai 7.

ckohler

Since Soul Eater is taking a break next weekend for the EVA movie (and because I'm bored) I figure I'd comment on some posts from this week's episode:

I do not think we are ever getting the full intro.
i think they cut the intro cuz there are spoilers in it

I think we can safely say that the openings and endings will all be 45 seconds going forward. It's nothing to do with spoilers, it's probably just to maximize commercial time. Luckily, the second ending (and the one off special version) all trim down easily to just 45 seconds if you cut it halfway. Same for the third ending. The second opening though... that looks like it's going to be impossible to fit within 45 seconds. :(

Why did they have to go to his office to use the Mirror-Phone?

They were called to the principal's office because it was an official school thing. There's a mirror there anyway. Also, just so it's clear, Lord Death can travel through mirrors but he mostly just communicates through them. He was probably at home during that scene.

Didn't they just get a soul at the start of this episode?

Yeah, I noticed this too. Surprisingly, it's the same in the manga. Either it's a translation error or just a minor plot hole, but you're right. Soul and Maka did collect one soul at the beginning of the episode. Don't think too much about it though because as the main plot ramps up, soul collecting quickly takes a back-seat for the remainder of the series due to much more pressing matters.

How come Soul gets to wear clothes while in weapon form, while the female weapons are naked in weapon mode?

All the weapon characters in weapon form (when not a reflection) are depicted as floating naked in a black void, even Soul. For some reason, only Soul is shown clothed in his weapon form's reflection but this changes later on in the series and he too is shown as being naked in the reflections. So this could just be a minor continuity error.

Another explanation is perhaps Soul (who is always obsessed with appearing cool) goes to the extra effort to make his reflection have clothing while the other characters (like Tsubaki) don't bother.

Necrovex

I really hope Toonami gives One Piece an hour slot. I couldn't imagine watching that series with an episode a week. The Water 7 and Enies Lobby arcs would be so god damn painful in that format (it will still be god damn painful with only two episodes a week).

One Piece really needs a Kai format to it. Pity we won't get that until 2030.

Seda

I really hope Toonami gives One Piece an hour slot. I couldn't imagine watching that series with an episode a week. The Water 7 and Enies Lobby arcs would be so god damn painful in that format (it will still be god damn painful with only two episodes a week).

One Piece really needs a Kai format to it. Pity we won't get that until 2030.

The way they announced it at the panel and how they have answered some questions about it on Tumblr makes it seem like they are very aware of it's length and considering their options.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Not really excited about One Piece. I would have rather liked to see the new Hunter x Hunter anime instead. One Piece is way too long.

They should just recap important stuff, don't want to see it from the start.

All the other news is great, however!!

EDIT:

I never did understand the love the first opening of Soul Eater gets.

The second opening is much, much better and it's going to be a TRAVESTY when it gets massively edited. :( :(

Raxus

hZMX671.jpg

Seeing as I am speeding through Hyouka I figure I'd make some deductions. Taking this and what previous statements we have to assume the following.

1) Bleach isn't budging from it's time slot anytime soon.
2) Thundercats is going to repeat
3) One Piece IS airing this year meaning they are planning to make it the replacement for GXP, Symbionic Titan, Eureka 7 or will eat up an episode of Cowboy Bebop and/or Inyuasha. Any other show would have to be canceled (please god Bleach) in order to fit that timeline.
4) We still want a rotation of new and old shows to keep things fresh

Assuming all these things I would guess One Piece would take Naruto's slow and the schedule would be as follows.

12:00 - Bleach
12:30 - One Piece
1:00 - Naruto
1:30 - Soul Eater
2:00 - ???
2:30 - Eureka 7
3:00 - ???
3:30 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
4:00 - ???/Cowboy Bebop
4:30 - ???/Cowboy Bebop
5:00 - Inuyasha
5:30 - Inuyasha

With Thundercats being reshuffled who knows will it will end up and I assume they will hang on to SBT at a later slot since they really have no options for western animation. There is also Ghost in the Shell to keep things fresh.

Technically you can expand One Piece to an hour but that just extends the Shounen hour and it really hurts Soul Eater and Naruto which both pull great numbers.

In conclusion it is a bitch to schedule One Piece in the block period let alone make it an hour. It is way too big a franchise to stick in at 3 like GXP and we don't know if it can overcome its stigma and be poorly received. If handled well with great promos I think it will run fine at 12:30, one episode a week (keep in mind only 240 episodes are dubbed) until the schedule opens up. Then we can look at 2 episodes a day up to when we catch up to G8. The important thing is getting One Piece started because the series is constantly growing and every week it isn't airing just makes the task of airing it all the more daunting.

I'm conflicted on how I feel about one piece, obviously a great show and series, but starting from the beginning is a mixed bag for me much like for Naruto, though unlike naruto, there is undoubtedly some stuff I missed initially since I more or less watched the series on and off on the original run and then switched off to the manga at skypiea.

Raxus

I'm conflicted on how I feel about one piece, obviously a great show and series, but starting from the beginning is a mixed bag for me much like for Naruto, though unlike naruto, there is undoubtedly some stuff I missed initially since I more or less watched the series on and off on the original run and then switched off to the manga at skypiea.

Probably the biggest obstacle right here. Skypia is a great arc in retrospect. Key word being retrospect. They really need the 2 episode format to burn through Skypia since it doesn't introduce a new character, is the point the one chapter format really hurts the show, and feels like a canon filler arc until you reach Enies Lobby and the super long Sabaody arc and go 'Ooooooh' that is the point behind the arc. Tons of elements pay off in Skypia in the long run and it has a great villain but it is torture to watch since it is admittedly slow as molasses.

OP Kai would be a godsend for a few arcs.

Probably the biggest obstacle right here. Skypia is a great arc in retrospect. Key word being retrospect. They really need the 2 episode format to burn through Skypia since it doesn't introduce a new character, is the point the one chapter format really hurts the show, and feels like a canon filler arc until you reach Enies Lobby and the super long Sabaody arc and go 'Ooooooh' that is the point behind the arc. Tons of elements pay off in Skypia in the long run and it has a great villain but it is torture to watch since it is admittedly slow as molasses.

OP Kai would be a godsend for a few arcs.

Skypia does have really good pay offs, but even when I read it in the manga, when it was completely finished, it felt long and like it dragged on, I cant imagine how it felt for those who had to read it waiting for a chapter each week.

I could honestly see them using One Piece as the reason to start at 11 on Saturday to give them a head start of countering Fox's ADHD - that's still coming this fall, right?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
hZMX671.jpg

Seeing as I am speeding through Hyouka I figure I'd make some deductions. Taking this and what previous statements we have to assume the following.

1) Bleach isn't budging from it's time slot anytime soon.
2) Thundercats is going to repeat
3) One Piece IS airing this year meaning they are planning to make it the replacement for GXP, Symbionic Titan, Eureka 7 or will eat up an episode of Cowboy Bebop and/or Inyuasha. Any other show would have to be canceled (please god Bleach) in order to fit that timeline.
4) We still want a rotation of new and old shows to keep things fresh

Assuming all these things I would guess One Piece would take Naruto's slow and the schedule would be as follows.

1:00 - Naruto
1:30 - Soul Eater
2:30 - Eureka 7
4:00 - ???/Cowboy Bebop
4:30 - ???/Cowboy Bebop

With Thundercats being reshuffled who knows will it will end up and I assume they will hang on to SBT at a later slot since they really have no options for western animation. There is also Ghost in the Shell to keep things fresh.

Technically you can expand One Piece to an hour but that just extends the Shounen hour and it really hurts Soul Eater and Naruto which both pull great numbers.

In conclusion it is a bitch to schedule One Piece in the block period let alone make it an hour. It is way too big a franchise to stick in at 3 like GXP and we don't know if it can overcome its stigma and be poorly received. If handled well with great promos I think it will run fine at 12:30, one episode a week (keep in mind only 240 episodes are dubbed) until the schedule opens up. Then we can look at 2 episodes a day up to when we catch up to G8. The important thing is getting One Piece started because the series is constantly growing and every week it isn't airing just makes the task of airing it all the more daunting.
Here's what I see...the gap after Tenchi's ending is exactly long enough to bring in a 13 episode series to replace it and have that show end the same night as Eureka. That opens up a full hour of time. This is when you bring One Piece in. You can put an hour of One Piece after the Bleach/Naruto/Soul Eater combo.

12:30 - Naruto
1:00 - Soul Eater
1:30 - One Piece
2:00 - One Piece
2:30 - ???
4:00 - Cowboy Bebop/GITS
4:30 - Cowboy Bebop/GITS

That's a LITTLE late for as major a show as One Piece, but it minimizes any ratings impact that might come if you start from episode 1, it leaves Soul Eater in place to allow something new to cycle in when that ends (which would be only 6 months away at that point), and it still leaves a very usable hour for either lesser new shows or repeats of things like Thundercats and Titan. If you really need to give something new a more prime slot, One Piece's hour could slot in at 2.

12:30 - Naruto
1:00 - Soul Eater
1:30 - ???
2:00 - One Piece
2:30 - One Piece

If you assume all of this, One Piece would be reaching Arabasta right around the time Bleach ends, and it would be wrapping up Skypiea when Naruto hits filler hell in 2015. If it has a stable audience by that point, it would be able to easily move right into the midnight slot by then as it hit Water 7 and anchor the block from there.

12:00 - One Piece
1:00 - Naruto Shippuden
1:30 - ???
2:30 - ???
3:30 - ???/Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
5:00 - Inuyasha/???
5:30 - Inuyasha/???

Basically, having an hour for One Piece would only really be an "issue" for its first year on the air, but it's a looooooong term investment to air it, so it might be worth the trouble.

Of course, if you can take over the 11 pm hour, this problem pretty much solves itself, though honestly I don't know if that would be maintainable. Bleach is really dependent on shows like Boondocks having big audiences, and the rest of the block is dependent on Bleach keeping that audience. I don't know that One Piece can do that for the block at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom