• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT3| Sleep is for the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I really wish the shounen genre would crib some notes about making things matter and having actions mean something.

yami4ct

Oh is that it? Well then Anno is my homie. I wanna buy him a beer.

Eva is a deconstruction of Otaku culture. It came from the hatred of seeing how all these people were becoming you're typical shut-in, basement dweller nerd types obsessed with these anime girls.

Eva is his attempt to use Shinji as a surrogate to hold a mirror up to those people so they can realize what they've become. Barring that, he than uses it to at least get revenge on them.

Azure J

It's got to do with context. Basically the only robot shows that existed before Eva were crazy idealistic shonen fighting robots and Gundam space operas.

Basically Eva is something like 'Okay, why the hell would 14 year olds be piloting giant robots' taken to its logical conclusion

Oh shit, I was right? I guessed this much from a glance! :lol

yami4ct

I really wish the shounen genre would crib some notes about making things matter and having actions mean something.

You're watching the wrong shonen. I'd check out Hunter x Hunter if you haven't already. Not all shonen is the mindless, battle filled, brainless BS that is stuff like Bleach and Naruto.

ReiGun

Eva is a deconstruction of Otaku culture. It came from the hatred of seeing how all these people were becoming you're typical shut-in, basement dweller nerd types obsessed with these anime girls.

Eva is his attempt to use Shinji as a surrogate to hold a mirror up to those people so they can realize what they've become. Barring that, he than uses it to at least get revenge on them.

I'll probably never actually sit through the series in full, but knowing that gives me a higher opinion of it at least.

Jex

It's got to do with context. Basically the only robot shows that existed before Eva were crazy idealistic shonen fighting robots and Gundam space operas.

Basically Eva is something like 'Okay, why the hell would 14 year olds be piloting giant robots' taken to its logical conclusion

But but what about Zambot-3 and A.R.I.E.L!

CSX

So which episodes of the tv show does this movie cover? I heard that the 2nd and 3rd movie is where the deviation starts but the first movie pretty much followed the show.

Need to know so i dont have to start a ep 1 once i get the chance to watch the show.

yami4ct

I'll probably never actually sit through the series in full, but knowing that gives me a much higher opinion of it.

The best part is that most of the people Anno's hatred is targeted at miss this point entirely. It makes digging into Eva discussion all the more satisfying.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Once again, I dig all the prep work that has to go into this plan.

I dig it, except for the fact that the plan is predicated on having a sniper do the aiming. And by "sniper" I mean "14 year old neurotic boy with no sniper training that just had his brain melted by a giant laser like 2 hours ago."

I just asked my sis what did she think of that last scene with Shinji and Rei. Now my sis never watches "mecha anime", but she's watched this whole movie up to this point.

Her response? "Shinji is a pussy"

I love how universally it's always that response.'

EDIT: Currently ranting how she'd friendly fire him before he got other people killed. Wonderful.

...somehow, someway, this will come up another thread, and I'll lose my shit then. But not tonight. Tonight's going too well to derail the thread.

But but what about Zambot-3 and A.R.I.E.L!

Damnit Jexhius! I can't compete with a tongue-in-cheek comment like that.

So I looked up Jiraiya. Just cause we were talking about him and I didn't know this.

He completed 1,839 official missions in total: 58 D-rank, 345 C-rank, 684 B-rank, 614 A-rank, 138 S-rank. With this rating of mission completion by Jiraiya, he has the most completed missions of all characters in the entire Naruto series.

Say what you will. What a badass.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So which episodes of the tv show does this movie cover? I heard that the 2nd and 3rd movie is where the deviation starts but the first movie pretty much followed the show.

Need to know so i dont have to start a ep 1 once i get the chance to watch the show.
First six episodes.

That said if you did that you would be missing on the superior version of this story.

fallagin

That is some seriously passive agressive stuff. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom