• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT3| Sleep is for the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckohler

Semi related, and I just saw this tweeted

BHl3KlbCEAA0v0e.jpg:large

I contributed to that. I bought the SE Collection Blu-ray last week from Amazon. The episode commentary tracks are really great. :)

Titan got pushed back big time :(

And IGPX should be before Thundercats. Eureka 7 maybe as well.

I totally agree. Their continued prime pimping of Thundercats seems unjustified.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah it feels like IGPX should be in slot 4, unless that is where one piece is going (or soul eater if one piece slides into 3)

Eh, not a fan of the front half being loaded with Shonen. Yeah, they get the ratings, but set it up so they last over time. Get people to continue watching.

Bleach
Soul Eater
Naruto
IGXP
One Piece

Or something like that. If people are only watching Shonen, why get rid of them in the first hour and a half. Drag them out and help other shows.

I don't remember when I stopped watching during the first run, but I started watching again since it's on Funimation's site, and Hulu, I think.

but this is something to think about too

I think it's pretty obvious by that lineup that T-Cats won't stay at that time, they just want to minimize the changes for now to try and keep the ratings as stable as possible.

Once GXP is over, Lion-O is moving down, and perhaps One Piece moves in. That's a nice start to the block of that's the case.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Like 200 episodes. I think Skypiea ends at 195 which would start G8 at 196 if I remember correctly.

There is a bit of filler in places that he can skip though, so that will speed it up. Honestly he could just read the manga until he reaches the point Toonami starts at, it would probably take a lot less time.

Eh, not a fan of the front half being loaded with Shonen. Yeah, they get the ratings, but set it up so they last over time. Get people to continue watching.

Bleach
Soul Eater
Naruto
IGXP
One Piece

Or something like that. If people are only watching Shonen, why get rid of them in the first hour and a half. Drag them out and help other shows.

i agree with this, but given how much more expensive those shows likely are i assume it's more beneficial to maximize their ratings in the front of the block.

anyways, i think Thundercats and GXP's replacement are probably gonna switch

Seda

I (also) feel (or hope) like that they are keeping Thundercats there is mostly temporary. First they'll get to see how it does it ratings in that spot as a rerun (they did say on Tumblr that people were asking for a rerun......).

Once 3 or so weeks after the 27th pass and GXP gets a replacement, they'll perhaps make a larger line up switch, at this point having a few weeks to see how Thundercats reruns are rating.

Raxus

I apologize, I've never seen one piece before. How much am I going to have to watch to catch up to this?

It is 200 episodes in. It is a scary number but if you start watching a couple episodes a day on Hulu you should catch up in no time. Hopefully Toonami announces where they intend to start off soon to save you some time.

Seda

4s0t56I.png

FUNimation and Adult Swim confirmed today that the shonen anime series One Piece will join the Toonami block. The announcement was first made during the Toonami panel at Momocon on March 10th. The series will premiere on the network late Saturday night on May 18th at 1:00am ET. It will begin with episode 207 ("Great Adventure At Long Ring Long Land!"). Soul Eater will then move to its new time slot of 1:30am ET.

So this is GXP's replacement it sounds like.

Although the Tumblr did mention they were looking into another show that wasn't GXP or One Piece.

I have some catching up to do.

The series will premiere on the network late Saturday night on May 18th at 1:00am ET. It will begin with episode 207 ("Great Adventure At Long Ring Long Land!"). Soul Eater will then move to its new time slot of 1:30am ET.

So either the lineup moves down a half-hour or T-Cats goes into GXP's old spot.

Bing bang boom.

EDIT: For our One Piece watchers - good place to start in your opinion?

Although the Tumblr did mention they were looking into another show that wasn't GXP or One Piece.

Could be Titan's replacement down the line.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Oooh man, it is starting at 207. At least it won't take as long to get to Water Seven. Still, we'll have to suffer though Ocean's Dream.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Davy Back Fight is like the WORST place to start. It's a zany as hell canon arc that was designed to be a kind of "filler" breather between two mega-sagas, only in the anime it's even been infused with ACTUAL filler to double its length. And then it's followed by another filler arc! (And then finally the best saga in the series to date...)

You've got over a month to get all studied up, gang! Shouldn't be that hard.

BatDan

so....what arc is 207 a part of?

It's the beginning of Davy Back Fight.
It's a canon arc, but Oda wrote it as a breather between the long Skypeia and Water Seven arcs.
The anime added more content and then added some filler afterwards.

Raxus

EDIT: For our One Piece watchers - good place to start in your opinion?

Only good place to start is episode 1.

Davy Back was expected but as Metatron said it is craziness, filler (to remind you of the strawhat backstory) and then an amazing arc.

The reason they are starting with Davy Back is because it goes more hand and hand with the recent DVD releases.

My advice. Now we know WHEN it starts off. Brush up on the series on Hulu. 1-2 episodes a day. And you will be caught up before you know it.

Seda

April 27th Line Up

12:00 – Bleach

12:30 – Naruto

01:00 – Soul Eater

01:30 – Thundercats

02:00 – IGPX
02:30 – Eureka
03:00 – Tenchi
 Muyo GXP
03:30 – Symbionic Titan
04:00 – Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
04:30 – Cowboy Bebop

05:00 – Inuyasha

05:30 – Inuyasha

May 18th Line Up?

01:00 – One Piece
01:30 – Soul Eater
02:00 – Thundercats (hopefully it's moved down)
02:30 – IGPX
03:00 – Eureka 7

Maybe that 'other show' they were considering will be Eureka's replacement now.

Novid

Banned
Only good place to start is episode 1.

Davy Back was expected but as Metatron said it is craziness, filler (to remind you of the strawhat backstory) and then an amazing arc.

The reason they are starting with Davy Back is because it goes more hand and hand with the recent DVD releases.

My advice. Now we know WHEN it starts off. Brush up on the series on Hulu. 1-2 episodes a day. And you will be caught up before you know it.

im already caught up. no worries.

before you know it = about 14 weeks :p

anyways, i'm gonna guess this is what we'll be looking at:

Bleach
Naruto
One Piece
Soul Eater
IGPX
Eureka Seven
Thundercats
Sym-Bionic Titan
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Cowboy Bebop
InuYasha
InuYasha

Seda

before you know it = about 14 weeks :p

anyways, i'm gonna guess this is what we'll be looking at:

Bleach
Naruto
One Piece
Soul Eater
IGPX
Eureka Seven
Thundercats
Sym-Bionic Titan
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Cowboy Bebop
InuYasha
InuYasha

That's how it should be, for sure.

Seda

So they are moving Thundercats into the latter half. Smart.

So in about a year, we go from

12:30 – Deadman Wonderland
01:00 – Casshern Sins
01:30 – Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
02:00 – Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
02:30 – Cowboy Bebop

to

02:30 – Eureka 7
03:00 – Thundercats

BatDan

Is 207 a good start for people who are fairly new to One Piece?

Noooooooo.
Watch the series on Hulu, you have a month.

Though I just read that Funi and Toonami will put together orientation/catch up pieces for the uninitiated. Hopefully they aren't just condensed versions of the One Piece 101 videos on Funimation's YouTube channel.

EDIT: Haha, speak of the devil.

ezekial45

Banned
Yeah, it seems odd they'd start so late, they pretty much have all the crew and past some important arcs, but i can see that they don't have any other options.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Is 207 a good start for people who are fairly new to One Piece?

Not really, no. It's a wacky ass goofball arc. The big awesome saga that comes after that arc and the subsequent filler doesn't begin for a full 20 episodes. And said big awesome saga is really heavily dependent on your emotional investment with the crew over the long journey thus far.

Your best bet is to do whatever you can to catch up. Basically the whole series before that point is available for free online legally right now (in both English and Japanese), so it's not a big deal to hunt it down.

EDIT: The fact that the broadcast will be in HD is great fucking news. Funi has yet to release any of One Piece on Blu-ray, so there is no current legal course for HD One Piece in the US.

Raxus

Just FYI I will make a quick guide the night before for One Piece about crew mates, the story so far, highlight important events and more or less attempt to get you pumped for the road ahead. I look forward to experiencing the series with you all when it airs. Until then I will keep my lips sealed in this thread about ANYTHING One Piece related. If you want to go through the series the dubbed episodes go up to 206 on Hulu. If you want to discuss the episodes then there are several people (at various points in the series) going through One Piece fresh at the One Piece (redux) topic. We are sure to be extra careful about spoilers there.

If you have any questions or comments about the series that you feel may be to spoilery or are just dying to find something out at One Piece then just PM one of the One Piece fans in this thread and we will be happy to discuss the series with you away from prying eyes.

Most importantly, enjoy!

Alrighty, so everyone got it before me, so INFO DUMP :

APRIL 27TH LINEUP :

12:30 – (Uncut) Naruto

01:00 – Soul Eater

01:30 – Thundercats

02:00 – IGPX (RETURNS!!!!)
03:00 – Tenchi
 Muyo GXP

On May 18th, One Piece is coming back to Toonami! After talking to lots and lots of fans and a lot of internal discussion, we’ve decided to start at episode 207 with the “Ling Ring Long Land” arc (or “Davy Fight Back” arc as it’s also known). We know we’re skipping ahead a bunch, but we think this is a great place to start- plus, it’ll be in HD! For those of you who are worried you won’t be able to jump in to the story, don’t worry! Go to Funimation.com now and you can watch ALL of the older episodes, plus there are a bunch of cool little video “catch up” pieces for folks who just want the overview. In addition, our friends at Funimation are working on some “orientation/catch up” pieces we’ll be putting on Toonami.
Get ready to cast off, May 18th. Full lineup to follow shortly!

12:30 – (Uncut) Naruto

03:00 – Thundercats

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I love One Piece, but I'm still on episode 160-ish maybe. Definitely excited to hear it isn't starting from Episode 1. I'll probably try to catch up on hulu before the 18th, and then just watch it slowly week to week on Toonami.

even if you start at episode 1, you could catch up pretty quickly. The show is like what, maybe 17-18 minutes (?) if you cut out the commercials, intro and episode recaps and previews that book end the episodes. They're only airing one episode a week. Even a busy person that enjoys the show could do 2-3 episodes a day. You'd be caught up to 207 before you know it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
206 episodes in 36 days... about 6 per day if I'm calculating correctly. Thats a toughy. And I don't even know if I'll still have cable tv at that time...

That's not as tough as it sounds, since it's pretty easy to watch 5 episodes in about an hour and a half if you're quick. Skipping over filler also drops you down to like 180-something episodes.

180/36 = 5

Convenient.

Reading through the manga chapters is much faster and probably convenient for those of you who probably don't have time to commit that much on catching up. It's worth it though <3

I'm gonna wait to start watching until after my winter semester ends in 2wks. And it seems that some dubbed episodes I won't be able to watch for free. They should fix that cause I don't want to subscribe

The setup is pretty good now, I think - you'll probably get around a million average total viewers for the shows in the first two hours, which will remain locked in until Bleach is over next year (barring any ratings issues). After that you've got some room for a new show when Eureka ends in August (could be that elusive third show), and T-Cats / Titan could be swapped out easily with FLCL, GitS and what have you when their second runs are over to have some variety in hours where ratings stability may not be as big of an issue.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
aw yeah, time to start marathoning

(i hate marathoning anime, once a week on toonami is enough, damn)

Dude, just read the manga to catch up. That way you don't have any filler and can read at your pace.

That said I wonder how these catch up pieces they'll be showing will be. If they're good enough it may just work, though people will miss out on some epic fights and flashbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom