• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT3| Sleep is for the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

The efforts to make sure One Piece never catches on in America continues.

Great.

Not only is not starting off on episode 1 horrible, but Davy Back Fight is probably more likely to turn off people that have no idea what's going on than get them interested.

Drago

Davy Back is going to be such a slog, and I imagine it will turn many off at first.

Should've started at 229 or whenever Water 7 actually starts, but I'm glad to see it on TV either way. Hope it doesn't bomb for them.

And I'm happy to see more people getting into One Piece. :)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Davy Back is going to be such a slog, and I imagine it will turn many off at first.

Should've started at 229 or whenever Water 7 actually starts, but I'm glad to see it on TV either way. Hope it doesn't bomb for them.

And I'm happy to see more people getting into One Piece. :)

Actually they should have started at 227 when
Aokiji is introduced
since he's important and all.

I counted the weeks it will take to get to that point. 21. It's going to be a loooong 5 months.

Fair enough, there's a list online somewhere of filler episodes you can skip without missing out on any major plot points. I'd suggest finding it and skipping the filler.

Found this while googling for skippable eps, up to the point OP will start on Toonami.

Episode 050 - 051
Episode 054 - 060
Episode 061
Episode 093
Episode 098 - 099
Episode 101 - 102
Episode 131 - 143
Episode 196 - 206

Good guidance?

yami4ct

Go to the One Piece wiki and look up their story arcs entry. They have all the filler arcs marked. Just skip those. Some of them are alright, but they're easy to not watch when pressed for time.

One Piece starting at 207?

This is an AWFUL move and will very likely turn people off the series. Goddammit, I guess the damage 4kids done is never going to be fixed :(

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
eh, Davy Back Fight isn't a bad place to start. Short silly arc that can help reintroduce the characters. And while the anime stupidly doubles the arc's length with filler, its still only 3 extra episodes to get through. And if we're really really really lucky, they'll skip Ocean's Dream after that.

789shadow

Banned
eh, Davy Back Fight isn't a bad place to start. Short silly arc that can help reintroduce the characters. And while the anime stupidly doubles the arc's length with filler, its still only 3 extra episodes to get through. And if we're really really really lucky, they'll skip Ocean's Dream after that.
They won't skip jack shit. Stupid motherfuckers.

Moaradin

I'm only 90 episodes into One Piece and I doubt I'll be caught up when it airs on Toonami. Unless the recaps they are doing are really fucking good, starting that late sounds like a pretty bad idea. One Piece didn't hook me until I got heavily invested into the characters.

Tamanon

Banned
I'm only 90 episodes into One Piece and I doubt I'll be caught up when it airs on Toonami. Unless the recaps they are doing are really fucking good, starting that late sounds like a pretty bad idea. One Piece didn't hook me until I got heavily invested into the characters.

Eh, it's a no-win situation. Starting at the beginning would be absolutely silly and would probably end the project before it started. The beginning episodes of One Piece are pretty shitty, IMO.

Jintor

[absurd reductavist argument] So it's shitty near the beginning and it's shitty in the middle if you don't suffer through the beginning. Awesome.[/absurd reductavist argument]

Jintor

Believe it

image.php

One Piece starting at 207?

This is an AWFUL move and will very likely turn people off the series. Goddammit, I guess the damage 4kids done is never going to be fixed :(

Yeah, it's sad.

They finally had a chance to get One Piece right in America, and they fucked it up. Toonami and FUNimation have no one but themselves to blame when it doesn't do well. Just sheer idiocy all around.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You guys all felt it should start at 1 or is 207 just a really bad choice?

It's the kind of story that constantly builds on what came before. Something that happens early on can and will become an important plot point in the future. Sure you get flashbacks reminding you of what happened, but you still missed out on it and it doesn't hit you as hard.

EDIT: For example I could give you a summary of Naruto up to Shippuden and hit all the important points in a couple of hundred words. Bleach I could do in less. One Piece would take a few pages to catch you up on.

Drago

207 is the start of a terrible filler arc that lasts for 6 months that gives a terrible impression on what the rest of the show is actually like. 6 MONTHS.

They should have started at 227. I really hope they can change this before airtime but they probably won't.

Someone wanna give me a summary of important events before the part where they decided to start One Piece?
I'd appreciate it.

....if its even possible.

Drago

They are starting at a filler arc? What the hell.
Well, the arc is canon but it was basically filler to give Oda a break between Skypeia and Water 7.

But then the anime decided to add more filler to an already filler arc and then adds I think 3 little filler arcs after that. In Toonami time, 6 months worth of filler.

Woohoo.

yami4ct

Someone wanna give me a summary of important events before the part where they decided to start One Piece?
I'd appreciate it.

....if its even possible.

Apparently Funi is giving Toonami some sort of recap material to get people up to speed. Hopefully that'll be enough, but who knows? Most of what you need to know is who the crew are and what they want. The specifics of the events aren't really super important. The stuff that becomes important you can kind of just figure out as it goes along.

It's a no-win scenario if they planned on sticking to 1 episode a week regardless. The series doesn't hit its first stride until the 30s, which would take more than half a year to get to if it started at 1. On the other hand, the closest amazing arc to 207 is much closer (I think it's 224 or something), but it's still a terrible starting place for newcomers, which I assume will be many people.

The thing about One Piece is it is in no way episodic. It's a gigantic world with always expanding lore which gets referenced all the time. Something from episode 20 might become important in episode 500. That's the kind of series OP is.

[absurd reductavist argument] So it's shitty near the beginning and it's shitty in the middle if you don't suffer through the beginning. Awesome.[/absurd reductavist argument]

Not so much the middle, just a single arc that's like 19 episodes. It's also essentially the ONLY canon filler arc in that it really isn't important at all in the grand scheme of things like every other arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom