• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT3| Sleep is for the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, so now people are pissed they're showing One Piece?

ibkRFbyorY5zeq.gif

This is why we can't have nice things at all... maybe next time we can get two eps. of GXP and 4 eps. of Thundercats a night.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Wait, so now people are pissed they're showing One Piece?

ibkRFbyorY5zeq.gif

can't have nice things at all...

They're pissed because it's starting on a filler canon arc that leads into a full-on filler arc. It will be about 5 months before it gets to the good stuff.

I'm telling everyone to watch it on Hulu or OnePieceOfficial. They have a month to catch up.
However, people are thinking that this is more sabotage and the ratings will tank.

Seda

First of all
vqtEjuv.png

So I guess don't exacpt a game review or speech or anything.

Also this One Piece thing reminds me of the first episode of Dragonball Z I caught on TV, back in 6th grade maybe? It was a filler episode on the "fake" Namek with Gohan and Krillin before the proper Namek saga. I loved it, and I continued to watch the show even though I had no idea what Dragonball Z was or who the heck Goku is and all that.

I'm NOT saying One Piece could be similar with people, there's a huge difference between being on at 4pm daily or 1am weekly. It just reminded me of it. Also a huge difference between episode 207 and episode 40 something.

789shadow

Banned
Someone ask them if they actually think One Piece is going to pull in ratings starting at 5-6 months of mostly filler 200 episodes into the series.

Davy Back Fight is the best place to start. I started DBZ during the Frieza arc and had no problem. Besides, the actual Davy Back Fight is hilarious, filler and all. The stuff after isn't great but it isn't horrible. And besides, it's better than starting right at Water 7 as you have some big moments happen very quickly. Let the new fans see the crew having fun.

Kaizer

Banned
Honestly I feel the One Piece situation is a bit of "damned if you do, damned if you don't". As someone who's been watching One Piece for years and a few summers ago marathoned over a hundred episodes in a month to catch up to One Piece when it reached the Thriller Bark arc, I'm glad they're starting at episode 207. Sure Davy Back is sorta cheesy, but the arc that follows is still my favorite in the show thus far and I'm glad we won't have to wait 4+ years to get there. It has some of the best fights and emotional moments in the series.

On the other hand, I can see why people that have yet to get far into One Piece would be upset. Being honest though, it's hard to go back and watch the beginning episodes of One Piece - it takes quite a while for the series to pick up steam and I'm not sure viewers could deal with that slow burn. It's definitely a series that lends itself well to being watched in chunks or blocks at a time. I'd say the only real benefit to watching long form all the way through is deeper emotional investment to the characters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrHO6DtFJ-Y

am i the only one who thinks this is a better version of We Are?
Yeah I love this version.

It can't be understated how disappointing 4Kids' version of the show is. They really had a chance to do something awesome and they had a lot of talented people working for them, and they decided to shit it up with their gum-gum rap, every line of dialogue being a hurricane of bad puns and horribly misguided voice direction.

I was kind of neutral towards OP starting at episode 1 or from somewhere else just because I can see both sides of the argument ("The first episodes are really boring" "New viewers won't know what's going on"). I guess I just hope it does well. It needs a break.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The problem is that the arc that follows isn't going to start until October at the earliest. That's an entire run of Sym-Bionic Titan's worth of episodes. It's not an insignificant amount of time.

Unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of good places to start. The Jaya Arc is probably the best mid-series starting point, but they already did a version of that the last time they aired the series. The Baroque Works Saga is another good place but is too close to the beginning to justify skipping the East Blue stuff, and starting from episode 1 is logistically implausible with only one episode a week.

BatDan

It'd be nice if Adult Swim would let the Toonami crew air the early One Piece episodes during the weekdays to allow easy catch up... maybe sometime down the road.

Or during every commercial break, TOM will remind everyone to go to OnePieceOfficial to see the first 206 episodes or to buy the Collections on DVD.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You're thinking of the Water 7 arc. The Davy Back arc was pretty eh. Well, at least people get to skip the Skypiea arc. I was burnt after that arc.

Water Seven is in Season 5. Davy Back is also awesome.

Season 5 also has the best opening and my favorite ending.

This is a cool starting place for many reasons; one it's where they left off; two this part of the show has never been broadcast in English before, the DVDs only came out last year and its not available dubbed on onepieceofficial or hulu!

Raxus

Truth be told I am not a fan of most of One Piece's endings. I love their openings though. Here is hoping they don't butcher the openings.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
unless they just weren't thinking when they made up the One Piece schedule, Cowboy Bebop is going to be rerunning YET AGAIN.

I sometimes wonder if they have a 30 year deal on its broadcast...

Still it's low risk and awesome.

well, that's the thing. they're not rerunning Cowboy Bebop AND Ghost in the Shell, they're just rerunning Cowboy Bebop when they've got Ghost in the Shell off in a corner gathering dust.

BatDan

Here's a positive: One Piece is going to be a Toonami staple for a looooong time. Considering the series is still going in Japan, and tomorrow morning they'll air Episode 591, One Piece will stick around with new episodes after Bleach ends next year and they reach the Filler Hell in Naruto. By then, they should have the rights to Shippuden (unless Disney continues to act like selfish a-holes).

They're pissed because it's starting on a filler canon arc that leads into a full-on filler arc. It will be about 5 months before it gets to the good stuff.

I'm telling everyone to watch it on Hulu or OnePieceOfficial. They have a month to catch up.
However, people are thinking that this is more sabotage and the ratings will tank.
That's actually what I'm alluding to. First [adult swim] hated anime and wants to sabotage it. Now apparently TOONAMI hates anime and wants to sabotage it?

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN???
Here's a positive: One Piece is going to be a Toonami staple for a looooong time. Considering the series is still going in Japan, and tomorrow morning they'll air Episode 591, One Piece will stick around with new episodes after Bleach ends next year and they reach the Filler Hell in Naruto. By then, they should have the rights to Shippuden (unless Disney continues to act like selfish a-holes).
It's all about the money!

Necrovex

If Toonami actually airs Naruto's filler hell, the rating will plummet. They gotta get the Shippuden's right, or end Naruto prior to entering the filler arcs.

Seda

I wish they would replace Bebop with GitS, I still havent seen all of it -_-

If Toonami actually airs Naruto's filler hell, the rating will plummet. They gotta get the Shippuden's right, or end Naruto prior to entering the filler arcs.

They've mentioned on the Tumblr that they are aware of it, acknowledging that it's not for quite some time - but at least they have time to prepare for it.

I'm NOT saying One Piece could be similar with people, there's a huge difference between being on at 4pm daily or 1am weekly. It just reminded me of it. Also a huge difference between episode 207 and episode 40 something.

Yeah, I think this is something to keep in mind. Were this daily, it wouldn't matter where they started. Since it's weekly and not aimed at children like old toonami, there's going to be a bigger barrier of entry.

BatDan

That's actually what I'm alluding to. First [adult swim] hated anime and wants to sabotage it. Now apparently TOONAMI hates anime and wants to sabotage it?

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN???

It's all about the money!

Fans are weird. Especially in this internet-connected world where voices can be heard.

Yes it's about money, but Disney is asking too much for something they're just sitting on. They're doing nothing with the show.

Bleach did fine in its filler arc. hell, it did better than canon for a while.

Bleach filler and the Naruto Filler Hell are two different beasts.
With Bleach filler, you just wait it out until the canon comes back
With Naruto's Filler Hell, the rest of the series is filler. That's why they should either A. End Naruto at Episode 135 (when the manga ends) or B. If they are contractually obligated to show the entire series, shove the filler into the dead of the night.

So basically after reading the article on ANN, they are starting the show on the Foxy Arc where they left off. I have absolutely no problem with this but I just hope that timeslot and wackiness of that arc doesn't draw newcomers away. I have a lot of people at my school talking about shows on Toonami (some that you would NEVER catch them watching like Soul Eater and Deadman Wonderland, and by some I mean full on MTV watching teenagers that don't give 2 craps about anime) that they've seen on their and enjoy. I want One Piece to hopefully have that impact, but with the Foxy Arc I'm not sure if it can do that. I'm glad they're starting where they left off, it's just that its very sketchy. I just think that if it was something intense like Water 7 it could be pretty entertaining for everyone.

I know I'll enjoy it because I love One Piece, but I just hope others who don't watch it and see it does.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
They're not picking up where they left off. Last tine around they left off about halfway through Skypiea. The last 20 or so episodes of Skypiea and all of G-8 never aired here (not to mention all the stuff that 4Kids cut out like Laboon and Little Garden).

Necrovex

Bleach did fine in its filler arc. hell, it did better than canon for a while.

Naruto had nearly 100 consecutive episodes of filler. And besides the Hinata arc, which was the very first filler arc in Filler Hell, every single filler episode was utter garbage. Japan was forced to reboot the Naruto series by creating Shippuden to wash away the filth.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, Aizen goes for maximum troll levels against Hitsugaya, the Chuunin Exam Arc begins on Naruto, Soul and Maka get some backup against Crona, Thundercats inexplicably reboots to episode 3, the Galalunians go through a serious mindfuck, the Gekko crew decides to take advantage of a lifting spot, Seiryo is still gunning for Seina, Winry learns a terrible truth, the girls of Bebop sign off, and, uh, I guess Sesshomaru wields Tokijin.

12:00 - Bleach - 293 - Hitsugaya, Enraged! Blade of Hatred!
12:30 - Naruto - 20 - A New Chapter Begins: The Chunin Exam!
1:00 - Soul Eater - 8 - Medusa the Witch – The One Who Possesses a Great Evil Soul?
1:30 - Thundercats - 3 - Ramlak Rising
2:00 - Sym-Bionic Titan - 6 - Shaman of Fear
2:30 - Eureka seveN - 33 - Pacific State
3:00 - Tenchi Muyo! GXP - 22 - Duel
3:30 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 22 - Backs in the Distance
4:00 - Cowboy Bebop - 23 - Brain Scratch
4:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 24 - Hard Luck Woman
5:00 - Inuyasha - 45 - Sesshomaru Wields Tokijin
5:30 - Inuyasha - 46 - Juromaru and Kageromaru

MikeMyers

Why do you bold some and not others? New episodes or something?

Naruto had nearly 100 consecutive episodes of filler. And besides the Hinata arc, which was the very first filler arc in Filler Hell, every single filler episode was utter garbage. Japan was forced to reboot the Naruto series by creating Shippuden to wash away the filth.

I thought they made Shippuden to show the time skip, i.e Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

There were a few decent filler arcs, the Hinata and Jiriya ones were ok. Everything else was garbage though. Here's hoping they have the brains to skip straight to the poorly paced first few arcs of Shippuden.

Also isn't this the week that Aizen trolls the shit out of IceBoy in the most amazing way possible? If it is we are in for a treat.

I thought they made Shippuden to show the time skip, i.e Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z?

Nah, Bleach didn't get a rebranding for it's time skip. Naruto's ratings went into the gutter during filler hell, it's why they call it filler hell. The problem is that it's impossible to do a good filler arc in Naruto because you can't have any character growth which is the only redeeming part of the show.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Who do you think is the bigger troll, Aizen or Naraku?

Aizen trolls hard for a while, but Naraku's trolling is constant and relentless. Dude is able to troll while he trolls. He's the OG. The entire series can be condensed to the good guys trying to find a way to out troll him.

Seda

Basically, episodes new to the block. Eureka 7 has aired before, before it was Toonami though.

The problem is that it's impossible to do a good filler arc in Naruto because you can't have any character growth which is the only redeeming part of the show.

I disagree that it's the only redeeming part of the show. It has some really cool moments scattered throughout, although the overarching plot that ties them all together is kinda weak.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Basically, episodes new to the block. Eureka 7 has aired before, before it was Toonami though.

I disagree that it's the only redeeming part of the show. It has some really cool moments scattered throughout, although the overarching plot that ties them all together is kinda weak.

True enough, I did exaggerate. There are a lot of good spots, quite a few coming up in the next couple weeks. But it is hard to care about 100 episodes or so of filler when you know that none of them are going to matter at all. Plus I'm a little down on the whole series lately because of recent events in the manga.

Raxus

Naraku's trolls at least make sense. Aizen just gets annoying. Like the heroes being so incompetent was his plan all along.

Aw, we are getting Blundercats reruns without the only two good episodes?

You trolled us again Toonami!

I was wondering which Bebop episodes were airing tonight cause I was thinking that Real Folk Blues Part 1 was gonna air on the 27th. So it's all good

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Question why can't start start OP at ep 1?

They did that with Naruto

Naruto only has 135 episodes until it hits the end of its canon material.

When One Piece hits 135 episodes, it would still have 456 episodes to go, and that's just counting the episodes that are available RIGHT NOW, ignoring that it's still ongoing weekly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom