• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT3| Sleep is for the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Speaking of shows for Toonami, I really, REALLY think Magi would be a fantastic fit. Really awesome shonen with good characters and a very imaginative world. I can only imagine how awesome ToonamiGAF would find Sinbad.

And the best part?

IT'S BEING MADE IN SEASONS

Every episode goes through like 50 manga chapters (exaggeration but holy hell does it blaze through things, wow) and since it's being made in 25-episode seasons there's no threat of filler -- or especially filler hell. All shonen should be made in seasons IMO. *in b4 One Piece counterexample*

Find it plz.

Nah, man. So many reasons to not pick up Magi. One, Toonami doesn't need another potentially long running shonen. Especially since they're adding One Piece. Two, as an adaptation Magi is pretty miserable.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Uh there's only like 25 eps a year dude. Toonami can cycle it out (or put it on reruns) when the seasons end. It's not like Naruto or OP where they need to literally double up episodes for 3 years straight just to catch up to what's currently dubbed *today.*

Also it's an awesome show, don't care if it doesn't follow the manga exactly.

I'd say s1 of Magi is definitely better than many of the shows Toonami's debuted -- DMW, S7, GXP, and TCats chiefly. And it's better than the billionth rerun of Bebop, GITS, and Brotherhood. It also definitely fits the block better than a couple of those shows too.

yami4ct

Uh there's only like 25 eps a year dude. Toonami can cycle it out (or put it on reruns) when the seasons end. It's not like Naruto or OP where they need to literally double up episodes for 3 years straight just to catch up to what's currently dubbed *today.*

Also it's an awesome show, don't care if it doesn't follow the manga exactly.

I'd say s1 of Magi is definitely better than many of the shows Toonami's debuted -- DMW, S7, GXP, and TCats chiefly. And it's better than the billionth rerun of Bebop, GITS, and Brotherhood. It also definitely fits the block better than a couple of those shows too.

It's not that it doesn't follow the manga. It's that it's poorly written and, near the end especially, poorly animated. Magi was one of the most disappointing shows of the last season.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Lies. It was awesome. And I'm 90% sure most of ToonamiGAF would feel the same if it aired here. So much awesome.

yami4ct

Lies. It was awesome. And I'm 90% sure most of ToonamiGAF would feel the same if it aired here. So much awesome.

Sorry, dude. I'm not alone on this one. "Magi 2.0" is the new slang for "hugely disappointing show based on highly popular and awesome source material" in the animegaf community.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think there is a better one, but here is Firehawk's small write up...

Sword Art Online. This is the worst show ever to have been produced by a culture. Take the solipsism of The Newsroom, the depravity of K-Town or any other reality show of that ilk, and the sad humanity exhibited exhibited in shows like Honey Boo Boo and you'd STILL get a show that is morally, ethically, and spiritually more justifiable than Sword Art Online. The bar has been set so low that I can even see merit in a show like OniAi. Fuck you SAO... just fuck you.

...and a longer review for episode 24.

If I can find a full series review from Firehawk I'll post it.

yami4ct

Note that Firehawk's views are hilariously extreme on this one. SAO is a godawful show, but maybe not "worst of humanity" awful. Haha.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sorry, dude. I'm not alone on this one. "Magi 2.0" is the new slang for "hugely disappointing show based on highly popular and awesome source material" in the animegaf community.

Just reinforces my opinion that AnimeGAF is up its own butt. :)

SkyOdin

Yeah, I've been liking Magi quite a bit. It isn't as great as Soul Eater by a long shot, but it is plenty of fun. I will also say that I enjoyed Sword Art Online. Sure, it peaked in the first few episodes and had a poor second half, but I am not sure why people seem to hate it so much.

I think Anime GAF tends to be a little insular in it's opinions.

I didn't hate Magi as much as the rest of animegaf, but I do have to admit it was a bit disappointing in the animation and pacing department at points.

A decent chunk of the criticism comes from the fact people here REALLY love the manga.

Aquarion Evol would be fun in this thread.

The trolling of thundercats + the crazy of Gurenn Lagann + some pretty dramatic moments

Plus it's another awesome openin to cut short

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TOM 3.5 going out with a bang. I'm kinda upset they won't be able to reuse some of these animations.

I thought they said TOM 5 would be using all the 3.5 animations?

I didn't hate Magi as much as the rest of animegaf, but I do have to admit it was a bit disappointing in the animation and pacing department at points.

A decent chunk of the criticism comes from the fact people here REALLY love the manga.

I really should get into the manga. Does Viz carry it?

Drago

There's a whole bunch of animations for TOM 3.5 now that I won't mind if they reused some for TOM 5. The new ones look really nice. New Absolution shots would be great as well.

I just hope it doesn't take long to get a new Game Room (tumblr said it wouldn't be there at launch) and hopefully we can see some other rooms eventually. Maybe a music room and a speech room or something.

Which is one thing that really fucking bugged me, is that the people playing it were taking things more seriously than the people in the MMO that could kill them.

You could take that one step further and look at Accel World by the same author (which also might take place in the same universe) and how seriously the characters take that game, when there's nothing on the line unless their points get too low, in which case they just can't play the game anymore.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
cosmicblizzard, you're on my list.

150px-Death_Note,_Book.svg.png

Because I like Accel World more than Sword Art Online?

Edit: Oh, is this because I brought attention to you in animegaf? lol, I just thought your post was funny.

I also like cross-thread drama. It's why I encourage people in animegaf to post in mangagaf and vice versa. It's fun.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I also like cross-thread drama. Hmm. You get a pass this time.

I only posted it because there was some super light AnimeGAF rival stuff posted a long while back. :p I mean I don't even post in AnimeGAF.

yami4ct

Tiger and bunny would be perfect for toonami.

It would be perfect, but like other perfect anime for Toonami it will probably never come to pass. I imagine Tiger & Bunny's going to be expensive due to its built in audience and all age appeal.

It'll have to go in that list with the new Hunter x Hunter and JoJo, both of which are stuck in licensing hell.

4/6/13 Ratings

BLEACH 1,387,000
NARUTO 1,299,000
SOUL EATER 955,000
THUNDERCATS 769,000
SYM-BIONIC TITAN 755,000
EUREKA 7 665,000
TENCHI MUYO! GXP 602,000
FULLMETAL: BROTHERHOOD 601,000
COWBOY BEBOP 588,000
COWBOY BEBOP 554,000
INUYASHA 494,000
INUYASHA 472,000

Seda

I'm glad to see that Naruto seems to be doing really well for them. Can't wait for the Chunin Exams to really get going

IIRC the first several episodes of this next arc are pretty silly/goofy, (vague spoilers but marking them anyway)

with the written test and all that and it doesn't really pick up until the forest. Although we do get more acquainted with characters like Rock Lee who is kinda awesome in his own special way

789shadow

Banned
IIRC the first several episodes of this next arc are pretty silly/goofy, (vague spoilers but marking them anyway)

with the written test and all that and it doesn't really pick up until the forest. Although we do get more acquainted with characters like Rock Lee who is kinda awesome in his own special way
In a world full of ninjas, one man kicks people in the face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom