• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delayed thoughts on the main episodes from last night

Bleach

It was okay, certainly not as awful as the film making episode from last week. I'll probably end up watching the Bleach films out of curiosity but this episode didn't make me want to run out and watch it so I guess it failed what it was trying to do.

Naruto

Not only was this a recap episode, it was a bad recap episode that failed what it was supposed to. I should have been able to watch a recap episode and get caught up on the basic plot up to this point and with only 25 episodes of which 10 were two battles pointlessly drawn out they should have been able to cover more then they did.

One Piece

Like the English voices for the Foxy crew, this is still the worst arc of One Piece but it's still entertaining. Imagine if this was Naruto each game would be at least 3 episodes long and we'd be stuck here way longer.

Soul Eater

I was dying by the end of this, fantastic episode all the way around, once again Naruto please take note this is how you have more "light hearted" episodes without making us hate the entire cast.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Did you at the very least get Filia's autograph?

Nope! XD I rarely make it to many VA panels, though I was glad to see her a few times over the con. My biggest VA deal was the DB meetup, and I went to the discussion of Mappo, formed by ex-Madhouse staff.

Did randomly end up at a street crossing beside US Goku and JP Freiza VA/Seiyuu though... that was kinda surreal.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I honestly think Sword Art Online is a good snag for Toonami. I think it will attract more viewers than IGPX or Thundercats, at the very least. It has an interesting concept and brings you in by the first episode.

Only main issue is a weak second half, and the fact that even in the first half you could skip 6 or 7 episodes and still come out with the same results.

I think it will be a nice ride for people around here for a few months. Kinda like Death Note would be.

Try and find out what that secret show is. They keep teasing a show is coming but refuse to tell us anything. That is what we must learn.

Unless they've set up some crazy deal to get a 2013 show that is either currently airing in Japan or hasn't even aired yet I don't see why they're keeping it such a big secret.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Unless they've set up some crazy deal to get a 2013 show that is either currently airing in Japan or hasn't even aired yet I don't see why they're keeping it such a big secret.

Part of me think they're in the middle of some insane loophole wrangling to get Megas back.

No matter what it is I want to know, so everyone ask.

It might be something they're still in talks for, and so they don't want to actually name until after the deal is finalized.

Nah, if it's this annoying to get it must be JOJO

https://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/298452934176432128
4ER8vp9.jpg

Someone somewhere might have it?

Of course, I'm still anticipating the inevitable announcement of some random UK company I don't know announcing that they're importing the existing subbed Japanese BRs only, but I can still dream that a US licensing announcement will happen, any day now (and US release for All-Star Battle announced at E3)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
JoJo would be easier (I think) to release in the UK thanks to the way the BBC and all the copyrights works, getting it over here would take a lot of effort.

That's why I think it's either Megas or JoJo. Both would take an insane amount of wrangling to get on Toonami, which would explain why they haven't confirmed what it is yet. Or a simulcast with Japan. No matter what it is it'll be something complicated to get.

JoJo would be easier (I think) to release in the UK thanks to the way the BBC and all the copyrights works, getting it over here would take a lot of effort.

That's why I think it's either Megas or JoJo. Both would take an insane amount of wrangling to get on Toonami, which would explain why they haven't confirmed what it is yet. Or a simulcast with Japan. No matter what it is it'll be something complicated to get.

The idea of getting a US simulcast or even delayed simulcast of an ongoing Japanese anime with an English dub seems like it'd be the most impossible thing ever. It would be incredible if they could pull it off.

I don't think a simulcast with Japan is even possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_God_(manga)#Anime
Kurokami: The Animation aired first on January 8, 2009 simultaneously in Japan on TV Asahi and in the United States on ImaginAsian, followed by South Korea on January 9, 2009 in AniBOX.[4][14]
www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-rele...oadcast-simultaneously-in-japan-u.s-and-korea

Of course, no one actually had or has that channel, and it's the only time that has ever happened in the history of anime, but let's all get our hopes up anyway.

Sailor Moon 2013 (14?), simulcast on Toonami!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't think a simulcast with Japan is even possible.

The idea of getting a US simulcast or even delayed simulcast of an ongoing Japanese anime with an English dub seems like it'd be the most impossible thing ever. It would be incredible if they could pull it off.

It would have to be agreed upon almost at the very conception of the series, or very close to it. But if they wanted to it could be done, you'd just need to do all the voice work for both series at almost the exact same time.

FYI when I said simulcast I meant more like airing the same week, not the same exact time.

yami4ct

It might be something they're still in talks for, and so they don't want to actually name until after the deal is finalized.

Most likely it's this case.

We honestly have zero clue what Toonami's going for at this point. The variety of shows they've had so far means just about anything's up for grabs, old or new. My hope is it's something not yet announced getting a dub yet. Of that group, JoJo would be the best fit as it's fairly short, fits the Toonami tone well, and is awesome. As much as I'd love for it to be Hunter x Hunter, with Bleach, Naruto and now One Piece, adding another 50+ episode Shonen seems like a terrible idea no matter how amazing that show is.

Again, as I've stated many times before, Tiger & Bunny is up there with JoJo for the best show Toonami can get. Fits in well and has built in viewership.

Seda

This specific 'mystery show' was a consideration for GXP's replacement, meaning it would have been possible for it to start airing 2 weeks ago.

This specific 'mystery show' was a consideration for GXP's replacement, meaning it would have been possible for it to start airing 2 weeks ago.

well, not necessarily. it might have been a question of "will this be done by the time GXP is over?", and that looked to be a possibility when they made the announcement. maybe they ran into delays or something.

yami4ct

There is nothing wrong with adding another 50+ shonen anime, especially one as good as Hunter x Hunter

Maybe after Bleach ends, but I really feel like having a quick turnover on shows really helps keep Toonami fresh. Taking up that slot with another hugely long show could really hurt that feeling.

Still, if Hunter x Hunter did get on Toonami I wouldn't complain. That show/manga is probably my favorite shonen series of all time. It's just so damn consistently amazing.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
There is nothing wrong with adding another 50+ shonen anime, especially one as good as Hunter x Hunter
Yep. The reactions of Hisoka on here would be amazing.

I know it'll probably never happen, but god damn it do I want it to air so that more people get exposed to it. Such a great series.

Raxus

Yep. The reactions of Hisoka on here would be amazing.

I know it'll probably never happen, but god damn it do I want it to air so that more people get exposed to it. Such a great series.

Schwing!

Sadly it has no word of mouth so I doubt anyone outside of GAF knows it exists.

That is why we get crap like SAO but HxH has yet to be licensed in the states (when I last checked)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom