• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Not sure how Fate/Zero being on Neon Alley effects things.

Most likely NA has the rights to the exclusive run for the entirety of the show. This is why it's not anywhere else. Once it finishes on NA, the exclusive rights should end within a few weeks and Toonami will most likely air it. Same for Accel World.

yami4ct

Here’s as specific as we can get: We very much wanted to work with Aniplex. They have several shows we are interested in. Sword Art Online was the show they very much wanted to see on Toonami, and a show WE had heard from a lot of Toonami fans about. We watched a few (no, not all) episodes, reached an agreement, and now we’re premiering the show in August!

That explains a whole lot. Man, this is going to be fun all around.

i dunno. i find it hard to believe the Toonami staff lives in that much of a bubble; i've heard of Sword Art Online's plunge in quality, and i don't really follow anime at all

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
i dunno. i find it hard to believe the Toonami staff lives in that much of a bubble; i've heard of Sword Art Online's plunge in quality, and i don't really follow anime at all

They probably saw part, figured the internet overreacted like it usually does and disregarded the warnings.

They probably saw part, figured the internet overreacted like it usually does and disregarded the warnings.

maybe. probably. but given the show's potential popularity, would its quality really have been a huge concern? if One Piece isn't gonna be Toonami's breakout show, Sword Art Online could be. and as awful as it could be to have to admit SAO was the show that put us back on the map, i think it's the getting there that matters above all else.

Moaradin

I'm sure new viewers will be able to settle in once Water 7 starts. This arc seems like a good way to get familiar with the characters without anything major going on.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
it might be, but that would surprise me at the moment. Water 7 isn't for 20 weeks.

Plus One Piece is the kind of thing that grows on you. Even if they had started from the beginning people wouldn't have been hooked until Arlong. It won't be a breakout hit, but it'll be damn solid.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I think Toonami knows by now that "being cool at first then plunging in quality" has yet to ruin a show's ratings. In fact, it seems to correlate highly with popularity. Better to start out strong apparently.

Raxus

I think Toonami knows by now that "being cool at first then plunging in quality" has yet to ruin a show's ratings. In fact, it seems to correlate highly with popularity. Better to start out strong apparently.

Look at Thundercats. Nothing spells plunge in quality quite like Thundercats.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Skypeia is in the books! Hell of an ending fight, but I know I've said this before, but One Piece has the best final episodes of an arc.

At first glance, Skypiea seems like a drag.
In hindsight, Skypiea is an amazing arc that sets up a lot of elements for later.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
At first glance, Skypiea seems like a drag.
In hindsight, Skypiea is an amazing arc that sets up a lot of elements for later.

It really is a lot better going back and watching it knowing where the story goes. You can see all the little plot threads starting out.

LycanXIII

maybe. probably. but given the show's potential popularity, would its quality really have been a huge concern? if One Piece isn't gonna be Toonami's breakout show, Sword Art Online could be. and as awful as it could be to have to admit SAO was the show that put us back on the map, i think it's the getting there that matters above all else.

But I want Soul Eater to be the breakout show. :'(

speaking of which, when does the series actually sit down and say "these are the types of Devil Fruit"? i only really remember them talking about Zoan, and now they're throwing around terms like "Paramecia" and "Logia" that i only know because i helped edit Raxus's guide.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
speaking of which, when does the series actually sit down and say "these are the types of Devil Fruit"? i only really remember them talking about Zoan, and now they're throwing around terms like "Paramecia" and "Logia" that i only know because i helped edit Raxus's guide.

It'll happen soon enough. We get a bit of an explanation in Water 7, they'll go through the basics at some point in the arc. The explanation of wtf mantra was isn't going to happen for a long time though.

Jintor

I can't actually remember if any show previously shown on Toonami has had
weird incesty vibes before

Maybe .hack sign

Funny enough I recall 4kids did this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom