• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT4| Set Sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

There was news last week that Funimation has rights to Attack on Titan, but that might be limited to home video. I don't really know how that stuff works.

Maybe they're trying to get Shippuden.

i really hope they wouldn't have considered replacing GXP with that.

Seda said:
I doubt they're worried about that at this point. But also, isn't that on Neon Alley? Does that cause problems?

nobody really knows. they said no, and i'm inclined to believe them considering One Piece and Naruto are on Neon Alley, too

Seda said:
There was news last week that Funimation has rights to Attack on Titan, but that might be limited to home video. I don't really know how that stuff works.

so far as i can tell, the people who distribute it on video also hold the TV rights. but i think whoever has the rights in Japan has to give their approval as well, and i don't see why they wouldn't.

yami4ct

Schwing!

Sadly it has no word of mouth so I doubt anyone outside of GAF knows it exists.

That is why we get crap like SAO but HxH has yet to be licensed in the states (when I last checked)

Actually, Hunter x Hunter has a fairly large US fanbase. It's nowhere near as large as Bleach, Naruto or One Piece or your flavor of the month popular like SAO, but it's been a show that's consistently talked about by US fans for quite some time. It's nearly always in one of the top "Most Watched" slots on Crunchyroll.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Unless they've set up some crazy deal to get a 2013 show that is either currently airing in Japan or hasn't even aired yet I don't see why they're keeping it such a big secret.

I've just been wondering if its the new Sailor Moon anime Toei's been working on. Toei's goal was to release it simultaneously this summer. Or perhaps its just that redub of Sailor Moon that Funimation has hinted at over the years.

Or perhaps one of Bandai's old properties like Gurran Lagann? All these scenarios would explain the secrecy.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Expect Attack on Titan on Toonami sometime in 2014, if they grabbed Sword Art Online, there is no way that the break out hit if this anime season is getting left on the table.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Toonami Q&A is now going on right now.

http://toonami.tumblr.com/

Anonymous Asked: Do you have an exact release date for the Toonami comic? Where will it be posted? Will you post it in parts/pages or the whole comic at once?

We do NOT have an exact release date on the Toonami comic, but we promise it’s being worked on! It’s a slow process… we will release it here, all at once, once it’s ready! Thanks for asking.

sketch1984 Asked: How late into the night do you consider too late to air a premiere episode on Toonami? Is expansion looking any more plausible than before?

We don’t have a “this is too late” time, but post 3am is going to be rare. And no, expansion is not looking more plausible at this time.

Anonymous Asked: Are you looking into having another in flight movie anytime soon?

We will DEFINITELY have another movie night, can’t say when at the moment!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
More interesting stuff:

Anonymous Asked: Will Sword Art Online replace Eureka Seven when it ends? And on a related note, what will happen to Eureka Seven when it does end? Will it disappear from the block, or will it rerun later in the night?

None of that has been decided yet. When we know, you’ll know!

bluealexander93 Asked: Are you guys able to talk about the specifics for the Toonami/Sword Art Online arrangement?

Here’s as specific as we can get: We very much wanted to work with Aniplex. They have several shows we are interested in. Sword Art Online was the show they very much wanted to see on Toonami, and a show WE had heard from a lot of Toonami fans about. We watched a few (no, not all) episodes, reached an agreement, and now we’re premiering the show in August!

Anonymous Asked: I actually love that you guys cut the openings of anime because i just want to change the channel when bleach op is playing. anyways my question is will you be fixing the choppy edit of the one piece opening? also is expansion anymore or less likely??

We don’t cut the opens/closes of shows ourselves, the distributors do that, usually due to tv time constraints.

gentleman-skeleton Asked: If you want an anime that isn't currently licensed in North America (or dubbed), do you have the influence to ask companies like FUNimation to acquire it?

Not really, no.

sketch1984 Asked: Even though Tenchi GXP ended up at 3 am, were you pleased with how it did in that late slot?

Tenchi made it to the end of it’s run, so we were pleased!

Jintor

Here’s as specific as we can get: We very much wanted to work with Aniplex. They have several shows we are interested in. Sword Art Online was the show they very much wanted to see on Toonami, and a show WE had heard from a lot of Toonami fans about. We watched a few (no, not all) episodes, reached an agreement, and now we’re premiering the show in August!

Can't wait until they get to the second half of the season!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Probably a good idea to have this scattered about in the posts, keeps the size down.

Anonymous Asked: There's been some news on ANN that Funimation and Sentai are in talks about taking over the distribution of former Bandai Entertainment titles in North America. Many of us fans are hoping that among these rescued titles are more of the various Mobile Suit Gundam series (we know Sentai has already taken over distribution for Gundam Unicorn). If either or both of these companies aquire the rights to some more of the Gundam shows, can we expect to see Gundam return to Toonami?

If we can get our hands on a Gundam, we would certainly consider airing a Gundam series!

Anonymous Asked: Have you guys considered skipping the filler between Davy Back and Water 7? It'll take a long time to get to the really good stuff in the next two arcs.

We will not be skipping anything. We actually don’t agree with the entire concept of “filler” arcs, sorry!

toonamifaithfulofficial Asked: After going through our achieves of Toonami Speeches, we noticed you only had 3 TOM speeches. Any chance of a new TOM speech in the near future?

There’s a chance, yes. But as we’ve said before, we don’t like to rush those. We are working on one however, and hopefully, if it comes out well, you’ll see it soon!

toonamifaithfulofficial Asked: Last night the Toonami Faithful trended #OneYearOfToonami in celebration of Toonami being on Adult Swim for a year (by the way congratulations on that). Out of curiosity, and please do not take offense to this, but why did you not have a tribute/congratulations thing last night on Toonami?

We’re really happy fans are that excited, but since Toonami has such a long and complicated history, we could have a minimum of three anniversaries every year, and we feel that’s just too much. At a certain point, celebrating so often might not seem special. We’ll do something every year, but probably not on that date. But on behalf of everyone at Toonami, thanks to EVERYONE who trended and celebrated by watching!

toonamifaithfulofficial Asked: Every time you guys are asked about the "Mystery Show" it seems to not be that show. For example: Someone asked Jason if Sword Art Online was the mystery show and he said no. So let us ask this question: When will you tell us what this new show is? Please tell us today.

We’ll tell you when we’re ready! NO HINTS

Jintor

I just... love the idea that they only saw, say, the first three episodes and have no idea what they're going to get near the end.

I mean, neither do I, so whatever I guess. Aside from salt drinking.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Part 4 Begin:

fade2blvck Asked: I make music and I used a bleach sample for a instrumental. I would love it if you guys could play it during a bump. Is there anyone I could contact to possibly make this happen?

Find Jason DeMarco on Twitter: @clarknova1. Send him a link to your track, and if we like it, we’ll reach out to you! Good luck!

Anonymous Asked: I have to say, I really love that SAO is coming :) Any news yet on it's time? Or has that been asked a thousand times and you guys cant say yet?

Too far out to say just yet. Glad you’re excited for the show!

chadbonin Asked: As you've pointed out a desire for a consistent schedule, do you foresee the current one being in place until SAO?

These things all depend on ratings, but that’s what we’d like to see happen, yes!

thectes Asked: The onair schedule has One Piece and Soul Eater switching timeslots on June 8th, as well as Soul Eater skipping an episode. You usually tell us not to trust the onair schedule, but when it had episode errors of Bebop and Thundercats they actually happened. Any reason to worry?

That’s a mistake. Do not trust the backdoor schedule.

scstank94 Asked: Lately I've been noticing that on the HD feed, the 4:3 shows (such as Naruto, Eureka 7, & Inuyasha) have been stretched to fit the whole screen instead of being pillar boxed, thus distorting the original picture quality. Also, IGPX is letter boxed on the HD feed. This seemed a little weird, but I didn't know if it was supposed to be this way or if it should be stretched to fit the screen or pillar boxed. I wanted to know if you guys could look into this. Thanks and keep up the amazing work!

We’re looking into this, but there’s not much we can do. This is due to CN’s SD feed being eliminated. Now, CN’s SD feed is a down converted version of the HD feed, which creates the issue. We’re seeing if there’s any way to fix it, though.

theholman Asked: Do you guys watch the episodes of your lineup on the broadcast or on your freetime?

We’ve seen them before they air as we put the block together. We rarely watch them as they broadcast!

jintor Asked: Do you guys ever consider running OVAs (extra episodes) of series, or is that up to the publishers to provide you guys with?

That’s up to the distributors. If it’s a part of the deal we make, yes.

Anonymous Asked: Are reviews for future installments in the videogame adaptations of Naruto, DBZ or other shows on the block likely? I was hoping Budokai HD collection or Storm 3 would be reviewed but alas, never happened.

That’s not how we review games. We review games we’ve heard are excellent or interesting, not games that have a crossover interest in our programming. That said, you never know!

Anonymous Asked: Do you think Toonami will ever be aired in other countries? It really sucks never being able to watch an anime-related network here in the Uk

Sorry, we have nothing to do with the various CNs around the world. We’d say if you really want Toonami in your region, ask your local provider! Anything is possible

sergeant-space Asked: Do you know when we might have another Total Immersion Event or Paid Immersion Event?

We don’t! But we’re sure we will be doing one of the two again. We definitely have some interesting stuff coming up this summer!

berkowitzshow Asked: if you guys had to find 2 new shows that started at 11pm, what would they be?

We aren’t looking for shows to start at 11pm, sorry. 6 hours is plenty of time to fill!

Anonymous Asked: Can you guys do something about the lighting on the new Absolution? It's impossible to spot it if you're watching in SD and really hard to spot in HD because there's barely any contrast between ship and the backgrounds. Any chance that TOM might add some neon stripes as a tribute to Blood Dragon?

No, and no. Sorry.

bluealexander93 Asked: Are their any plans for a new music video, in the coming months?

Yes.

cbkask Asked: Will we eventually see more of the ol' absolution m.III, I really want to see the elevator of the ship

Eventually, yes, we’ll reveal more of the ship!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Right, starting a new post here, is anybody else asking questions?

fal3oover Asked: Did the Aniplex Facebook poll contribute in any way to it getting on Toonami? From what I remember, this is not to say I dislike SAO cause I really enjoy SAO, Madoka Magica was on the top of the votes.

That poll was not something we requested, and was not a factor in our decision to air SAO. Thanks!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, I got all that in the part four post. Anyway, the Aniplex poll is one of the most interesting bit thus far, I wonder if they payed attention to it at all.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Alright, some more stuff has finally been posted.

Anonymous Asked: From what I can tell, the biggest competition Toonami has on Saturday nights is Saturday Night Live (with the occasional late sports broadcast). Do you expect Fox's new ADHD block to be a big threat?

We aren’t sure what will happen with ADHD, but hopefully our Toonami audience will remain loyal! we’re certainly doing everything we can to keep you guys happy. :)

Anonymous Asked: This is a question I just have to ask you: What's with Toonami and Hot Pockets?

Hot Pockets pays to advertise in Toonami. Pretty much as simple as that!

Anonymous Asked: When bleach is on Filler the ratings tend to dwindle and it hurts the entire block. I'm not sure how many more filler episodes bleach has left but have you guys considered having another show open the block ?

We have not seen any empirical evidence that “filler” arcs hurt the ratings of any show, so things will stay status quo for now.

ohmond Asked: Is it safe to say that the album spotlights will be a regular toonami thing? I am referring to the boards of canada spot and i think there was a phaseone spot too. Id love to see more of these, btw what are you guys calling them internally? I just go with album spotlight.

“album spotlight” sounds good to us! We don’t know how regular they will be, but when an opportunity presents itself, we’ll definitely do it again!

Anonymous Asked: Any chance of airing 2 One Piece's a week if it has decent and consistent ratings at once a week? This show's pacing does not lend itself well to once a week.

Once a week is all that is possible, sorry.

Anonymous Asked: After weeks of competition between you and NickToons with airing all the Dragon Ball Z movies, how do you think we did against them?

We did very well against our competition!

snackster1001 Asked: How does it feel to have the big 3 (naruto, bleach, and one piece), soul eater ( a highly praised show), Igpx ( a toonami original), and the upcoming sword art online ( the most popular anime of last year)?

Pretty darn good! :)

Anonymous Asked: According to a somewhat-informed anonymous poster, the reason Toonami acquired Sword Art Online was because Toonami and Funimation had an argument concerning purchasing the rights for a series. Is it safe to say this poster was a big fat liar?

Ha! Wow, yes, none of that is true. Never trust anything you don’t hear from us directly, and certainly never trust an anon… anon. :)

Anonymous Asked: Do you know if Lovett or El-P would ever release any of their music you use on the block? If not, could you possibley try contacting them and asking them to?

Virtually all of the music from El-P we use on the block has been released by him already. Lovett is considering releasing some of his Toonami music!

Anonymous Asked: Is there any one show that is underrated by Toonami fans back when it aired that you feel should have gotten more love?

IGPX! :)

Anonymous Asked: Bleach ends in 2014 is it reruning a not going happen?

We’ll worry about that in 2014.

Anonymous Asked: From what we've seen through ratings, Toonami is going pretty strong now - the first two hours of the block teeter on the "one million viewers" mark. I know the ratings are not enough to ensure an earlier timeslot yet (Adult Swim still needs Family Guy ratings), but has Mike Lazzo been pleased with Toonami's ratings (enough to not end it)?

Everyone is pleased with the ratings, currently. We’re not going anywhere any time soon!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I am guessing this ties into the idea that E7 may be reran.

Anonymous Asked: It's a bit weird that you say you aren't sure if SAO will be replacing Eureka 7 in August. That is the only show ending a run in August, so the only other option would be to cut off one of the rerunning shows, or steal one of the Inuyashas.

We don’t think it’s weird at all. We have a 6 hour block and while you, the layman, may not think there are any other options, we know that their are. It’s months away and our plan is not set in stone yet. We’ll let you know when it’s time!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
30 Minute Warning has been posted:

30 minute warning!

We’re starting to get redundant/rude/questions we can’t answer at this point, so this is your 30 minute warning! We’ll answer questions for a bit more and then we’re done until next month! If you have any burning questions, now is the time!

Seda

For you, GMN

v4JYGA1.png

I am guessing this ties into the idea that E7 may be reran.

That was me as well.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Alright, time for update part 7 or whatever:

nuckles87 Asked: Dammit, NOW I remember what I wanted to ask! Did you know Aniplex was going to announce their show now? I assume a distributor can pretty much announce an acquisition whenever they want, of course, but it seemed like you guys were unprepared when the announcement came.

How did it seem like we were “unprepared?” We made the announcement shown at in Boston! Yes, we worked together on the announcement.

boyaku-otaku Asked: Is the decision to rerun shows like Thundercats and Titan, while stuff like Casshern only getting one run a pricing issue or is it just an internal decision?

Many factors influence our decisions about what shows to air. Price is definitely one of them!

gorgeoussenpai Asked: is there a possibility for sarah to get a TOM 3 look again?

Nope! Sorry.

Anonymous Asked: Are plans still on the table to reair Fooly Cooly?

yes.

mvhilton Asked: Since you have previously stated some shows will not air on Toonami due to being dated, what classic anime do you feel every anime fan should watch?

Ranma 1/2!

Anonymous Asked: Will you guys be moving IGPX to a later slot if it constantly doesn't do so well in ratings?

ANY show that doesn’t do well enough ratings-wise can be moved or removed from the block. That includes IGPX!

itsduhelmomonster Asked: would you guess ever considering bringing back toonami jetstream?

Jetstream will not be back, sorry.

thesplendidninja Asked: With your original show IGPX on the line up currently will you: a) be looking to create new shows, b) consider reviving shows like Young Justice & GLTAS, c) any chance we'll get to see the full opening for One Piece & IGPX?

1. No, 2. highly unlikely, and 3. You HAVE seen the full opening for IGPX and we’ve stated our opinions on acquired show openings here earlier. Thanks!

snackster1001 Asked: Ok, when Sara was decided to make a return, what made you decide on the classic look instead of the Tom 3 look?

The classic look is a lot cheaper! :p

michaelarroyo01 Asked: Are you worried about airing too many new series at once? The later new episodes premiere, the less likely people will stay up to watch them.

?? No. More new shows is never a bad thing.

Anonymous Asked: Do you have any tips I can use to stay up and watch One Piece? I've already missed both episodes!!!

Hm, drink coffee? Get a power nap before Toonami?

toondude7 Asked: Any chance of simulcasting Toonami on Adult Swim Canada? What kinds of factors would be necessary to make this a reality? Who would have to reach out to whom?

Sorry, there’s no chance of that.

Anonymous Asked: At momo con demarco said we cant have sara or cyldes. we got sara in may so was that planed or just a concidence?

It’s something we were able to work out through the hard work of a lot of people. We really didn’t think we could do it, but we surprised even ourselves!

nightsurgeon109 Asked: Fans love to make their own Toonami style promos. Would you guys ever consider releasing raw TOM and SARA audio? Just dialogue between them with no music or show audio. Stuff like: "Only Toonami, on Adult Swim." Or "Every Saturday nigh Adult Swim is building you a better cartoon show. We call it Toonami" so fans could use them in videos. Is this possible for you guys to do and/or feasible?

Sorry, that’s not something we can do. We love fan made goodies though, so keep trying!

E3 and Comic Con 2013 is coming up. Are you guys going to be there?

WE will be at both events. TOONAMI won’t be doing anything at either one.

Anonymous Asked: When is the Adult Swim website going to update the Toonami page so it has the new TOM?

We’re working on that, it should be soon!

Seda

Interested in seeing ratings this week - impact of filler filled night, One Piece's second week, if IGPX still representative of the Mariana Trench

ckohler

I think it's telling how Aniplex got to dictate to Toonami WHICH of their shows would appear next. Toonami was interested in some of their other shows but Aniplex really wanted SAO to air, so that's what is airing. It makes it seem like SAO is a prerequisite airing before a different Aniplex show can air.

Also, I think you get a real feel from this Q/A just how budget strained Toonami is. They seem to really have to struggle to get anything they want to air,

I think it's telling how Aniplex got to dictate to Toonami WHICH of their shows would appear next. Toonami was interested in some of their other shows but Aniplex really wanted SAO to air, so that's what is airing. It makes it seem like SAO is a prerequisite airing before a different Aniplex show can air.

i think it's possible Aniplex offered that one at the best price since they wanted it to air the most, and Toonami maybe didn't have a choice considering the tight budget (which kinda does mean they were "dictating", yeah)

Of course, I'm still anticipating the inevitable announcement of some random UK company I don't know announcing that they're importing the existing subbed Japanese BRs only, but I can still dream that a US licensing announcement will happen, any day now (and US release for All-Star Battle announced at E3)
Simply importing Japanese BRs won't work, because a) UK BR players won't play Japanese BRs due to region locks, and b) it's flat-out illegal for DVDs or BRs to be released in the UK without the BBFC rating printed on the disc. I wouldn't be too surprised if it was MVM or All the Anime, however.

Also, I think you get a real feel from this Q/A just how budget strained Toonami is. They seem to really have to struggle to get anything they want to air,

What other aniplex shows would toonami be interested in? I'm not super familiar with what studio produces/licenses what series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom